Topic: Ark - A Big Damned Webseries by Trey Stokes

It's here. At least in the US.

You might have heard our amazing "Trey tells the whole story of making it" Intermission. If not, look! I linked it just now!

I'll let Trey explain things, but here ya go, people.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Ark - A Big Damned Webseries by Trey Stokes

God damn it, I hate hulu with the living passion of a thousand rabid weasels.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm liking it so far.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've watched 1 & 2, and I'm fairly well hooked. I love that Tapping doesn't talk to herself. Altho I personally would be talking to myself like I was on cocaine and suffering from Tourette's, lone characters in movies tend to do too much narration.

Fictional character:
"Where am I? What is happening? I gotta get outa here. Maybe I can find a door."

Zarban:
"What the fuck?! Hey! Hey! Anybody?! ... Goddammit! Who the fuck is responsible for this?! You sons of bitches! This shit doesn't happen by accident!" Then I would go back and forth between loudly pleading for anyone to help and threatening to murder the first person I found.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

AAAAAAH!! Come on guys, you gotta give me something here, this is killing me!!! Just something, a shitty pirate version on youtube, a screen capture...ANYTHING!!!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, I can't see this either. Trey, buddy, give me a DVD to buy, something. If it's on iTunes, I can buy it.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i've been hearing about this for ages and it sounds great.

but bollocks to you if you don't want to show it.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Just finished watching it and... it hooks you just enough for you to finish the episodes and realize, "...Wait, it's already over?". Bastards. *love*

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*sigh*

Don't make us liberate America just to watch this thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

beldar wrote:

*sigh*

Don't make us liberate America just to watch this thing.

I think it's about time we went 1812 on their asses again, don't you?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

downinfront wrote:

I'll let Trey explain things...

I don't really have a point except to say I'm still waiting for this.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Just finished watching the first episode. That transition — you know the one I mean — was really great.

(And Faldor, you of all people have no room to complain on this one. I've read that QI can never be shown outside the UK, 'cause obtaining worldwide licensing for all the art on the big screens is impossible. Maybe we could work out some kind of strategic exchange: we get QI, you get … hmm … let's say … Maine. Deal?)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome!  Listening to the Trey Intermission last night reminded me I still needed to see it. I was going to what it last night, but it got delayed buy Teague's Concert. So I watched it today!

One question: Was the voice at the end the guy in the White Suit in the apartment? Sounded the same to me...

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Snail wrote:

Was the voice at the end the guy in the White Suit in the apartment? Sounded the same to me...

Yes, it is.   To be honest I'm not a fan of the actor's performance, he was just available for free on short notice.  wink If we continue the series I may retroactively replace the voice so we can cast somebody else.

Anyway...

As I write this, the Ark Intermission episode has yet to be released - and when it does this thread may become the official discussion thread for it, or not.   I dunno, that'll be a Teague thing.  But I figure why not go ahead and do this now, I can always repost it if necessary...

To recap: Ark is curently viewable in the U.S. on Hulu, but nowhere else in the world.  This is not because we don't WANT Ark to be seen worldwide, it's because Hulu's territory is U.S. only, and Hulu is the only site (so far) that's hosting Ark.   The rights to Ark in the rest of the world are still available.

So the same week we delivered the episodes to Hulu, I uploaded them to YouTube on the assumption that we'd use that as the platform to show Ark to the rest of the world.   They've been there ever since, set to Private mode, just waiting until I got the go-ahead to make them public.

Except, oops, Ark became an instant hit on Hulu. 

Which meant Ark's owners (which, I remind you, I am not one of) realized they might do better than just throwing the episodes on YouTube, putting ads on them, and hoping the rest of the world stumbled on them.   The myth that putting something on YouTube guarantees viral success was debunked years ago, nobody (myself included) believes in that strategy any more.   

So the owners made a deal with Content Media Corp, a distribution company that promotes independent films and tv shows - and now web series - overseas.  Content's mission is to try to place Ark with the French equivalent of Hulu, and the Belgian equivalent of Hulu, and (repeat with every country in the world).  For every buyer they find, Content gets a cut of the profit, and Ark gets a cut of the profit.   This is what distribution companies do, and have done for decades.

So check it out: Content has featured Ark nicely in their 2012 catalog (and I like playing find-the-Ark-thumbnails on the first page) and even more nicely in their Mipcom brochure.

But it's a hard sell, the episodes are short and it all ends on a cliffhanger that (so far) is not guaranteed to ever be resolved.  But whatever non-US country you live in, if you operate a website that gets millions of hits, by all means ring up Content and ask about hosting Ark.

If you don't happen to have a website like that, well, how about this... the relatively tiny number of participants in this forum won't damage the market value of Ark if you should happen to see it.  So I've thrown the switches on the episodes at YouTube from Private to Unlisted, which means they are now viewable if you know the link. 

And (how's this for a switch!) they're blocked in the U.S. - you U.S. viewers can just keep on going to Hulu, where you will watch those Geico commercials and give thanks for them, as I do.

This is an honor-system thing, if the hit counts start going suspiciously higher than the approximate number of overseas members of this forum, I'll re-Private the videos.  So no sharing, no leaking, and by the way, they're un-embeddable.   

If you agree to the above, then feel free to click this link.

Awesome, I'll have to check those out! One of my favourite Doctor Who stories, The Ark in Space, is suggested at the side too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WHAT? I can't watch them on Youtube!? That's it, I'm torrenting them!

Actually, they're probably still on my harddrive here somewhere...

You're a bloody legend Trey, thank you.

I've now seen something you made, and the first episode gave me the screaming heebie jeebies  hmm

[edit] Really wishing I hadn't watched this just before bed. [/edit]

Last edited by Dave (2012-01-17 11:33:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A big thank you to Trey for the youtube link.

Just watched through all the episodes and I'm totally hooked and loving it. I don't know how I would have felt watching each episode a week apart. I felt that the amount of stuff shown in each episode is a bit on the lower side and it might be off-putting to watch so little and then wait 7 days for more.

Although I might be totally wrong because that could be the main hook for such a series.

I would love to see a full length feature for Ark.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome, thanks Trey.   big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Having ruminated on Arc overnight, there's a lot to be asked and said about it. I'll hold off until the intermission (which I missed) is released to avoid covering the same ground.

You kids should be very proud, it's pretty spectacular.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ask your questions, I guess, the Intermission is just the story of how it got made, not the actual plot so much.

Do give spoiler warnings, though.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Test Show
Yep, it works.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

It's the button with the question mark.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well Trey, that's a hell of a thing you've got there. Definitely something to be proud of...although, those matte lines caused me slightly more than a touch of physical pain, but I think I can forgive you tongue

Although,

Show
who was the voice at the end? He sounds so remarkably familiar but I can't place it.

Amazing work sir.

EDIT:

Show
Please please please tell me the man/ disembodied voice is an older, incredibly pissed off Gabe.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-01-20 07:07:41)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Well Trey, that's a hell of a thing you've got there. Definitely something to be proud of...although, those matte lines caused me slightly more than a touch of physical pain, but I think I can forgive you tongue

Yeah, there are some shots that never quite got there, for reasons that would make for a long, not very interesting story.   

But on the other hand, I bet there are a lot more matte shots in there than you think. smile

maul2 wrote:

Show
who was the voice at the end? He sounds so remarkably familiar but I can't place it.

Like I said, I would have preferred to use another actor, that one was just cheap and available...

maul2 wrote:

Show
Please please please tell me the man/ disembodied voice is an older, incredibly pissed off Gabe.

Well, for those that really want a spoiler, the answer is:

Show
We considered that early on, but ultimately decided not to go that way (partly, to be honest, because Lost In Space did it).  I'm glad we didn't, because a lot of folks have made that same guess.  So we'll let them think that for a while longer, and then pay it off by revealing that it's someone else.