Topic: Boter Cooks Something

Hey, guys. I figured I'd share my ongoing series, Boter Cooks Something. It's an entry into an already-saturated segment, the YouTube cooking show.

I did a season from September last year until April this year, releasing an episode every other week, roughly, with a hiatus. Season 2 starts the first week of November and I'll be trying to do one episode every week. Here's a sample episode from last season, Pork Marsala with a guest host, Chris. (Not Vapes, that's another episode.)

As I'm posting this in a forum of creative types that are likely to notice technical aspects, I figure I should point out where I'm trying to improve BCS. First, I'm starting to try to do more closeups. Guest episodes are usually more difficult to do that with, but it's a goal. Second, audio is bad when the fridge decides to start going, so I'd like to get a pair of lapel mics either sometime during season 2 or by the start of season 3. Lastly, video quality is lacking in general; between HDV quality, white balance inconsistencies (especially early on), and that wide angle adapter, season 1 was establishing the content of the show, and further seasons will be working on production quality.

Anyhow, enough of me pointing out my own faults. The rest of season 1 can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … xYbQjcVGRj

I'll post here again when the first episode goes up (with guest host Vapes on his brand new Canon 70D); with good response I'll continue to post as new episodes go up, but if nobody pays attention then I won't keep flooding the board tongue

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Re: Boter Cooks Something

As promised, here's the season 2 premiere, shot with Vapes two days before my wedding.

Enjoy!

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

So, I know I said I wasn't going to keep posting if people didn't show interest, but I really wanted to share this one anyway. Regardless of the macaroni & cheese as an additional topping, I made a Big Mac at home and felt rather accomplished for it. Would absolutely recommend.

Wholly heart attack, Botman!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First episode filmed with my new Sony a99 camera. The difference is night and day; we're still working out the kinks (gonna close down the aperture on future episodes as Steph gets more diligent with focus) but I am very, very pleased with the results.

So, I'm editing a few new episodes of the next season, in which I've started using lavalier microphones. And it's become apparent to me that with the extra noise of the kitchen largely reduced... it's frickin' quiet. And I don't think I can get away without music underscoring it.

Does anyone have suggestions of music that is royalty-free, preferably cheap to obtain, and preferably something that doesn't try to call attention to itself?

Incompetech

The stuff on there might be a little overused around Youtube, but it's generally great stuff.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Due to a suggestion from Bertocci, backed up by Owen, I went with a track from Incomptech. The first episode of the season came out last week, and the second just now.

Color's not perfect but I am damn happy with where the production is right now.

The meal for this one, Grilled Cuban Sandwiches, was Vapes' idea, having just seen Chef a couple of weeks prior to his visit. (I, hypocritically, still haven't gotten around to it.)

Last edited by Boter (2015-01-19 23:16:39)

You've stepped it up a noch Boter - Good Lad!  clap

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bacon and a general disregard for vascular health. I figured this was a good episode to share with the internet.

Boter wrote:

Due to a suggestion from Bertocci, backed up by Owen, I went with a track from Incomptech. The first episode of the season came out last week, and the second just now.

Color's not perfect but I am damn happy with where the production is right now.

The meal for this one, Grilled Cuban Sandwiches, was Vapes' idea, having just seen Chef a couple of weeks prior to his visit. (I, hypocritically, still haven't gotten around to it.)

Watched this.

I want one.

Also, as a techie-note, your main camera is super-soft compared to the GoPro, might want a sharper lens for that badboy?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks smile

Techie-note: Yeah, it's kinda soft at 2.8. Better when stopped down but unless I blast the kitchen with light then the soft high-ISO noise would step in to muck it up. I have alternate lenses in the form of a 28mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.7, though the 50 is stuck at 1.7. For Steph's sake I just stick with the 28-75 zoom.

I also think the camera's video in general is a bit soft, something I'm hoping a Mark II would fix.

Wow, Boter. The production has come on a lot. Looks sweet. I NOW WANT A SAM-WICH

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man, as good as those meat logs looks, I kinda disappointed you didn't somehow actually bacon wrap sushi. I saw the title and was like "How the fuck?" then you establish it's not actually sushi and I was all "Oh.  sad "

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, Sushi isn't raw fish, per se. Sushi is vinegar-cooked rice combined with other ingredients, in most cases raw fish. You could do bacon-wrapped sushi, as you'd basically just bacon-wrap vinegar-cooked rice.

Boter: For your line of work, maybe you'd want to look into getting a GH4? Downscale the 4K footage, and it looks crisp as hell. If you're worried about light, get a camera that's better performing in low light, and as you're a damned sony-lover, get an A7s smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down