Topic: So...how bout dem Oscars?

http://cdn.media.oscar.abc.com/media/20 … ees.pdf?v2

Here are my thoughts.

1) Fully on board with every nomination for Her, especially score.

2) The fact that American Hustle has 10 nominations is proof that God has abandoned us.

3) No tech nominations for Pacific Rim? Surprising.

4) Two nominations for Llewyn Davis? Cinematography and sound mixing? Well, shit.

5) Guess I have to see Philomena and Dallas Buyers Club now.

6) Blackfish and Stories We Tell were shut out of the documentary category. BIG shocker. Also of note, those were both directed by women. Then again, so was The Square

6a) The Square marks the first-ever Oscar nomination for Netflix. It's one of their originals (well,                  they're releasing it at least.) It goes up for streaming tomorrow.

7) Two-time Oscar nominee Jonah Hill. Mmmmmm, feels good to say it.

8) No, seriously, fuck American Hustle.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-01-16 14:27:40)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: So...how bout dem Oscars?

Well they should be rewarded for not cutting a million times like most movies...

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Steven Price up for best score for Gravity, awesome. He composed two of my favourite scores last year, that one and The World's End, he's one to watch.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-01-16 14:49:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Well they should be rewarded for not cutting a million times like most movies...

"Editing is like jazz, man, it's about the cuts you don't make." --Eddie Doty, jazz man

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Iron Man 3 and Into Darkness made VFX? Really?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Clint Mansell ignored for the Stoker score, and Claudio Miranda could have got a nod for cinematography for Oblivion.

Can't understand Star Trek being nominated for anything. JJ must suck a mean dick.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Iron Man 3 and Into Darkness made VFX? Really?

http://i.imgur.com/4zw3ZRy.png

http://i.imgur.com/mwwqkSV.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was pointed out to me by our own Alex Ruger that the score to Gravity is pure sex, so I'm randomly pulling for that one in the score category.

Well, not so randomly. I was actually kind of pissed at the Banks score, and that's the only other movie on that list I've seen.

Anyway. We'll be doing our Oscar poll again this year, as per usual, starting here in the next few days.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not that surprised BLACKFISH didn't get nominated.  The documentary category always throws us curveballs. STORIES not getting nominated is a surprise.

I, too, remain puzzled at the love David O. Russell gets. AMERICAN HUSTLE is slickly written and the performances are inspired, but it doesn't have a single thing to say about anything it depicts. None of his movies do. Which is fine, except he gets talked about like he's this dark genius. What's ironic is that WOLF OF WALL STREET is a movie actually does have something constructive to say about what it depicts, and people are questioning whether it has any substance while the same people go gaga for HUSTLE.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

It was pointed out to me by our own Alex Ruger that the score to Gravity is pure sex, so I'm randomly pulling for that one in the score category.

Well, not so randomly. I was actually kind of pissed at the Banks score, and that's the only other movie on that list I've seen.

Yep, Gravity is great, so is M83's Oblivion score. Just listening to the Philomena score now - just off-the-shelf filler music, very bland. Dunno how it got nominated.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've seen all the films nominated for BP, and it seems to me PHILOMENA sticks out like George W. Bush on the Harvard campus -- you think "Yeah somebody pulled some strings to get you here."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Academy Award Nominee Star Trek Into Darkness makes me want to punch things.

Other than that, pretty solid lineup. I'm glad to see Her got some nominations, though it is pure bullshit how Juaquin keeps getting snubbed when he's doing transcendent work. First they snub him for The Master, now for Her.

Also wish Oblivion had picked up a Cinematography nod, but what can you do.

Still, much more reasonable list than last year, I feel pretty OK with most of these choices.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Also wish Oblivion had picked up a Cinematography nod, but what can you do.

Grab ya pitchforks and storm the Academy. The rest of you, build a scaffold. I'll bring the noose.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wasn't at all surprised Blackfish didn't get a nom, but Stories We Tell not getting nominated is shocking.  I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that 20 Feet From Stardom will get the upset, but Acto fo Killing is still as much of a lock as anything else.

BTW, Sarah Polley on twitter just heaped huge amounts of love on Joshua Oppenheimer and AoK, and vice versa.  Pure class, that lady.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I wasn't at all surprised Blackfish didn't get a nom, but Stories We Tell not getting nominated is shocking.  I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that 20 Feet From Stardom will get the upset, but Acto fo Killing is still as much of a lock as anything else.

BTW, Sarah Polley on twitter just heaped huge amounts of love on Joshua Oppenheimer and AoK, and vice versa.  Pure class, that lady.

I think that if Act of Killing can get nominated, it can win.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

The documentary category always throws us curveballs. STORIES not getting nominated is a surprise.

Like that time Hoop Dreams, the best documentary ever made, wasn't even nominated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, if the "movie that made the most money wins the FX Oscar" rule holds true this year, then congrats in advance to the Iron Man team... smile    However, Gravity made a pile of cash as well, and has all the buzz, I still think they're in.

Pretty decent year for nominations.  Would have liked All Is Lost to have gotten more love.  And count me among those who doesn't see what's so great about American Hustle (just like I didn't "get" Silver Linings Playbook last year).

Haha, I probably called it. I said IRON MAN 3 was the one we dismissed as "meh," which meant it'll not only get nominated but probably win.

I, too, am still pulling for GRAVITY. Also, the GRAVITY score is the first score in years I actually had to run out and buy immediately, so yeah.

STAR TREK's nomination makes perfect sense given the handicap that the VFX branch has a huge ILM contingent. Though it's surprising then that PACIFIC RIM didn't get it -- they probably split the vote.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

iJim wrote:
Rob wrote:

The documentary category always throws us curveballs. STORIES not getting nominated is a surprise.

Like that time Hoop Dreams, the best documentary ever made, wasn't even nominated.

And Steve James probably should have won for THE INTERRUPTERS, too.

GRAVITY is back in theaters, too. IRON MAN 3, to my knowledge, is not. Maybe GRAVITY will do some good business between now and when Ellen hits the stage.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

GRAVITY is back in theaters, too. IRON MAN 3, to my knowledge, is not.

True, although Gravity is not available on dvd/Blu Ray like Iron Man 3 is. Probably doesn't make any difference but I just wanted to post something big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Well, if the "movie that made the most money wins the FX Oscar" rule holds true this year, then congrats in advance to the Iron Man team... smile    However, Gravity made a pile of cash as well, and has all the buzz, I still think they're in.

I haven't put together a formula or anything, but yeah, obviously the buzz for Gravity outweighs Iron Man 3's box office.

Trey wrote:

Pretty decent year for nominations.  Would have liked All Is Lost to have gotten more love.  And count me among those who doesn't see what's so great about American Hustle (just like I didn't "get" Silver Linings Playbook last year).

Yes to all of this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah The Interrupters not getting nominated was some bullshit.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just realized that Oblivion also missed out on an Art Direction nod, for its exquisite iHouse, iShip, iGadgets, iDrone, etc, whereas the Gravity production design team just had to look at NASA pictures. [grrr]

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No way, no how, did Star Trek have better visual effects than Elysium.

Jackass: Bad Grandpa got a nomination for best makeup, which means that Jackass is now an Academy Award nominated series. Meanwhile, The Butler didn't receive a single nomination. And that's just way too funny for words.

Last edited by Ewing (2014-01-16 21:13:48)

Rob wrote:

PHILOMENA sticks out like George W. Bush on the Harvard campus -- you think "Yeah somebody pulled some strings to get you here."

Particularly given that Bush pere and fils went to Yale, rather than Harvard.  It's an important distinction.   tongue

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down