Topic: The Core

We had a lot of fun doing this; for those who weren't there, we actually had a live webcam and chat room set up for listeners. I believe the people enjoyed themselves.

...yeah, this episode could be called a commentary, but just barely. If we're the friends in your head, this is us inviting you to a crazy party instead of having a normal conversation.

A brief clip of the proceedings.

http://www.downinfront.net/images/group-core.jpg

http://www.downinfront.net/images/group-core-2.jpg

We got free mimosas at the diner after the show. High rollers. What up.

And one last little thing, this is from when we sat down to watch The Core again and refresh our memories. Brian going full Tucci.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Core

ROFL.

Guys, I'm going to L.A. for Siggraph this year. I totally will have to squeeze in a day where I do a guest appearance on Down In Front.... *evil grin*

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At the very least, we absolutely have to meet up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No show notes? Well, the creators didn't use their science notes so we shouldn't be surprised...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Deep Core

It's the only show note you'll ever need.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just wondering if the world would end if put these off for a few days.  Guess not.

Pick up The Core at the Down in Front Store

The Core drinking game

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy

The fish
http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/3583.full.jpg

405 The Movie

John Rogers on Ain't it Cool

Unobtanium

Steely-Eyed Hydronauts of the Mariana

Deep Core, with Wil Wheaton

Shark brain, Tucci, Going to the Mansion

Trey's Filmnut interview

Penn Radio archives

emfayder wrote:

Trey's Filmnut interview

in which I mostly talk about the webseries Ark, produced by Gabe (90210) Sachs.

Fun fact:  Gabe Sach's next door neighbor is Core star Bruce (Pierced Helmet) Greenwood.

Funner Fact:  Gabe Sach's other next door neighbor is Rick (Production designer for almost every movie Spielberg has ever made) Carter.

That's some neighborhood...

Funnest fact of all: The phrase "Pierced Helmet" made me think of something entirely other than what you intended for it to.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool show guys. But I have a question about the movie...
In the movie the D.J. Qualls character says "I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and hot pockets..." but I remember something different in the trailer. In the trailer I remember him saying "Okay. I'm gonna need 'Star Trek' tapes and hot pockets." Have I just remembered this wrong? Or was it simply a different take from the scene that they didn't use?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Could be either. They change details like that all the time. And people remember shit wrong all the time.

(On Galaxy Quest I swore I remembered a trailer for that film wherein the blue aliens spoke. I looked everywhere, I made that up in my brain somehow.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had the same feeling in regard to that scene. I had a memory of them speaking english in the trailer saying something like "let's hit it with a rock." But in the movie it's subtitled.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH MY GOD YOU TOO?

Okay. Okay. I can't find a trailer where that happens, but your anecdotal witness testimony is way more than enough for me to call this a conspiracy.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LOL.

I'll look around and see if I can find anything. Maybe it was in a short commercial clip or something...maybe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You really are my man! Bashir!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still can't find anything for Galaxy Quest. Sorry dude. But I'm not giving up or anything. But I did just watch the trailer for The Core and he did say "star trek" tapes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone remember that FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX remake from a few years back? Plane crashes in the Gobi desert with a bunch of folks onboard, Giovanni Ribisi is an asshole genius who figures out a way they can rebuild the plane and get it to work based on the resources at their disposal, but they're going to have to work together, and we're the real monsters, blah blah.

Anyway, I swear -- I swear -- there was a trailer which spent a good chunk of time establishing a B-plot about how no one realizes it, but the redesigned plane will only carry two people: Ribisi and the pilot (Dennis Quaid), so there's this whole conspiracy about how they're using these people to save themselves, and Quaid struggles with this morally, etc.

None of that shows up in the movie, and I can't find any evidence of the trailer, but I KNOW it happened because I saw the movie with a friend and the first thing he said to me after was "Wasn't there like a subplot about how there wasn't enough room for everyone?"

Also, I remember the beryllium miners speaking English in the GQ trailer, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DJ Qualls fact:

He was a fat kid, and became skinny because he had leukemia (as a kid) and lost the weight.

But St. Jude's saved his life.

Last edited by Mr. Pointy (2011-06-01 05:41:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just randomly listened to some of this commentary in the car today, and was dying laughing. I think this might be one of our funniest episodes. Hoof.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Isn't this the one where "going full Tucci" became a thing?

Yeah. It's also the one where Mike learned the pleasure of drinking Malibu Rum from the bottle.

Trey: "Ooookay, no more drinking game for Michael..."

Mike: "IT IS NO LONGER A GAME"

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

OK, so you know that I sometimes feverishly try to defend the logic of movies that I love. Well I love this movie, seen it so many times I just don't know. But holy shit does it have some fucked up science in it. I clearly remember the scene where he was braising the heavy cables to the wall toward the end, to get the "power", lol, and I remember thinking that they do uses solar panels in this fashion.
But the most important thing about it is that there was NO POLARITY!! How can you run any AC or DC powered components with just positive or negative, well you simply can't.
Also, and probably the most important wacky science/engineering mess up is the "reactor" powered ship!!
I don't know if most  people know how a nuclear reactor powered submarine works, but it is basically a steam engine because thats all the reactor does is turn water into steam which powers turbines and that powers the generators. all of the motors on those subs and aircraft carriers are electric.
So back to our movie ship. You are telling me that A:there was enough room to have a crap load of water for cooling and for the steam turbine. and B: When he pulled out the reactor rods, the ship shut down as if he was pulling out the batteries, LMAO, when of course the steam turbine that they somehow found space for would still be moving, and there would be shit tons of batteries for storage as a buffer between the steam generator and the ship power distribution grid.

Oh, and  Mike is funny as shit when he is shit faced, LMAO, us Mikes are always the life of any party, lol.

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-04-18 01:09:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down