Topic: Margin Call [Curated]

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Margin Call [Curated]

Interesting. Not a film I had heard of or would have normally sought out, but I found it engaging and thought provoking.  Found myself looking up articles like this, which I actually almost sort of understand, thanks to economics and statistics classes.

Interested to hear the commentary now that I've seen the film.

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2014-04-22 13:49:52)

Another solid commentary cool

Conspiracy is worth checking out; it's very much in the vein of TV stage plays that were once popular in some European countries (the earliest ones were usually aired live, but in time they evolved into ultra-low-budget TV movies). It's not really surprising, since BBC co-produced Conspiracy.

A few years earlier, HBO produced another movie somewhat related to that Nazi conference - Fatherland (I saw it on TV, I'm not sure if it was ever released on DVD). Based on an alternate history novel.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The BBC did a pretty decent television movie about the fall of Lehman Brothers...

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, emotionally I understand what they were talking about in this movie. And I'm pretty sure I understand most of it intellectually. I'm not totally sure I grasp the details, but whatever. I didn't love this movie, but I think it's very smart. I think I like Chandor more when he's not writing dialogue.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This movie was just OK to me, probably because there was a couple of mush better movies that proceeded this one that were about the real Lehman Brothers situation. One is an HBO made movie called Too Big to Fail from 2011 with an Award winning cast.  And the other, better movie, was a step by step account of the weekend before the Monday the shit hit the fan, and it was a BBC TV Movie called "The Last Days of Lehman Brothers:, with James Cromwell and a slew of other great American actors. In fact I didn't even know it was a BBC production until just now when I was looking up the title. If you really want to see the face of Evil and what these guys did behind closed doors, then I suggest the "Last Days.." movie out of the 2. Also there is the Oscar winning documentary "Inside Job" narrated by Jason Bourne that explains what happened to the Layman like me.

Oh, and BTW, I broke down and bought a new badass keyboard with excellent response, which was part of the problem that kept me forming sentences that sent to the end of the post box(please don't ask me to explain why), so you guys can stop giving me crap about my hard-to-read message...

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-04-26 07:12:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want to thank Brian for this PSA, thank you Brian!

And I really liked this movie, the compression of time and the claustrophobic tense atmosphere of the night dissipating into an uneasy but welcome release in the rosy morning is right in my wheelhouse.

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down