Topic: Disney rebooting the star wars EU

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary- … -page.html and http://starwars.com/news/disney-publish … -line.html So this is a thing that is happening. 

I don't know how to feel about this because the EU (new jedi order and thrawn) is what helped me become the star wars fan i am today, yet i hate the direction the EU as a whole has gone in (especially post RotJ stuff), but... so much work has been put into these stories and even if they were reluctant to finally just kill the original heroes

Show
(if being perfectly ok killing off the people meant to be replacing them)
it was still going somewhere.

This was to be expected but... still.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Disney rebooting the star wars EU

This is not surprising. If I recall correctly, Disney sent people out to basically read and research all EU material and make the determination from there, what to keep and what not to keep.

I have no issues, because EU was not "George Canon" anyway. George had his own vision of what Star Wars would be (for good or for ill) and then the authors were allowed to do whatever they wanted. There is an understanding, at least on Lucas' and the authors part, that the movies and screen material would always supersede books, comics, novels, etc.

While I have enjoyed several books over the years and own many of them, if Disney wants to take it a different direction, more power to them. It doesn't diminish what has been done, or the books that exist currently.

It is funny, because I was just listening to X2 commentary and Eddie, or Brian, discussed the different time lines of the X-Men universe. Even "Days of Future" past is supposed to deal with discontinuity between First Class and X-Men. So, Star Wars really isn't anything different. There are different ideas and continuities that have been going since "Splinter of a Mind's Eye." Lucas never liked Thrawn or Mara Jade or Luke's marriage, so this isn't really new. It is just now official policy.

And, if anything, go buy old books, play Knights of the Old Republic, and call it good.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't see how anyone could be surprised or shocked by this. As Fire said the EU has always been viewed as something outside the canon, it's own beast (The George Canon effect). But I mean that's just the technicality they utilizing to be able to do this. I made the joke that "OMG JJ Abrams abandoning and wiping away decades of world-building of a popular cultural icon, never could have seen that one coming." And while yes, JJ has absolutely nothing to do with this, I'd be willing to bet the conversations at Lucasfilm are the exact same ones JJ was having with Paramount execs.

There is SOOOOO MUUUUCHHH god damned baggage when you step into a franchise like Star Trek or Star Wars, I mean the EU practically has a million years on either side of the canon movies mapped, planned and written out. If you say you are going to play inside those rules the only thing you're doing is hamstringing yourself creatively, and giving the fanboy's a gazillion opportunities to nitpick your movie without impunity. But you say, nope, all of that, not a part of this. Boom you have blank slate, pie in the sky ability to tell the story the way you want to/it should.

Granted that does sort of rely on the film-makers actually capitalizing properly on the opportunities that presents, but hey we have a full commentary and a couple dozen pages of conversation to speak to how we thought that went last time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Am I suprised or shocked? No. Just disappointed. They could easily have done what the prequels done and kept the broad strokes. They didn't have to use Coruscant as the capital planet.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Not surprised, not shocked. Disappointed. For me and many others who've invested time into... well, let's see, I haven't read them lately but up until '05 or so, probably a hundred books... the new movies will be the alternate timeline, not the twenty-odd years of books, comics and games that worked hard to keep a consistent timeline.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I don't mean this to be snide but what does this change? Many of the storylines were being wrapped up, or as BDA cited, so convoluted as to lose their meaning. I enjoy things like Thrawn and the like and they will still be there. But, if Lucas had ever done sequels, those books would have been meaningless anyway.

I'm not sure how it affects the old books. They are still there. This means the potential for new books and new material. For me, who has not kept up on all the books and EU, it gives a fresh start to get in to the fandom again.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm reminded of when the same thing happened with Doctor Who. After the show was canceled, a bunch of Who writers hooked up with Virgin Books and started the New Adventures series. These were intended to be a direct continuation of the show, in continuity. It got off to a rocky start, showing that some of the things that had been in the works for season 28 would have pissed me off, but overall we got some great stories (one of which was adapted into New Who). When the US TV movie came out, that was worked in and the books became about the 8th Doctor.

When the new show started, naturally, they felt no need to consider book continuity too much. Which is to be expected. As former Script Editor Terrance Dicks said in the introduction to the first New Adventures book, if continuity gets in the way of a good story, you throw out continuity smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just to add quickly, continuity was thrown out once when Lucas did the prequels. I recall a Star Wars Dictionary that highlighted Palpatine's rise to power and the construction of the Death Star, and the prequels obviously squashed those ideas. Like Invid said, if they are starting new, in a way, then there is no need to regard the old material if they have a story already in mind.

I know that fans can get their collective panties in a twist over a studio or artist defining canon in their work, yet fans are welcome to create their own interpretations as well. After all, there are numerous fan edits and the like out there, as well as a general rejection of some parts of the story. So, there really is no reason for fans to accept this new continuity at all.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

As former Script Editor Terrance Dicks said in the introduction to the first New Adventures book, if continuity gets in the way of a good story, you throw out continuity smile

See, my problem with this idea is that it often seems to be applied both proactively and comprehensively when a creative team simply want to have free reign, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the story that's ultimately produced. Throwing out some small aspect of the continuity is acceptable as the last resort in an effort to make a good story workable. Ignoring it in its entirety is unacceptable as the first gambit of a new author with no ideas for working in an established universe. If you can't make any of your ideas work without first wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch, then you probably shouldn't be working with an existing property.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Star Wars fans are no strangers to this. A few years ago, the Clone Wars cartoon completely rewrote the concept of Mandalore and Mandalorians, which had been explored in great detail in the novels written by Karen Traviss. Allegedly, the disappointment and upset at having her work 'mooted' by a half-hour kids cartoon led her to quit writing for LFL.

I've not read these books so I couldn't say whether the Clone Wars was a better version.

That said, as the articles state, it's not all being thrown out. The big question is what is staying and what is going.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
Invid wrote:

As former Script Editor Terrance Dicks said in the introduction to the first New Adventures book, if continuity gets in the way of a good story, you throw out continuity smile

See, my problem with this idea is that it often seems to be applied both proactively and comprehensively when a creative team simply want to have free reign, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the story that's ultimately produced. Throwing out some small aspect of the continuity is acceptable as the last resort in an effort to make a good story workable. Ignoring it in its entirety is unacceptable as the first gambit of a new author with no ideas for working in an established universe. If you can't make any of your ideas work without first wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch, then you probably shouldn't be working with an existing property.

Although Doctor Who is a case where there had never been any continuity, or attempt to keep it, until the 80's when the fanboys took over the show. Unless you were the one who wrote the old episode, and you had your script, it was up to your faulty memory to try and bring up a past event. Every new production team DID wipe the slate clean, doing things their own way. That's why the show lasted so long (and is why the new show is already getting creaky from all the new baggage).

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
Invid wrote:

I don't think they are trying to ignore it entirely but trying to craft a good story. Given the amount of resources that Disney is pouring in to Star Wars, having a fairly open playing field is a benefit to the authors. One of my biggest sources of frustration of reading anything in the "Old Republic" as it often repeats aspects of the movies or the conflicts are similar, since we know what eventually is going to happen to the Republic. The whole idea of the Sith Empire and defeating the Emperor feels a bit like a repeat.

The Star Wars movies were never going to continue with things like Thrawn or New Jedi Order because that was not Lucas' vision. Sorry to all the authors, but as the articles made clear, it was not a part of the story, much in the way that Doctor Who was explained. Not to beat a dead horse, but it makes more sense when you realize that the EU was not ever official anyway.

And now, when trying to do a new film, there is so much continuity after the movies that it creates its own baggage rather than any sort of freedom for the writers.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Cotterpin Doozer wrote:
Invid wrote:

Although Doctor Who is a case where there had never been any continuity, or attempt to keep it, until the 80's when the fanboys took over the show. Unless you were the one who wrote the old episode, and you had your script, it was up to your faulty memory to try and bring up a past event. Every new production team DID wipe the slate clean, doing things their own way. That's why the show lasted so long (and is why the new show is already getting creaky from all the new baggage).

To be fair to Doctor Who, the whole concept of 'continuity' quickly becomes wibbly-wobbly when the entire show is served with copious helpings of delicious time travel, washed down with lovely paradox cocktails.

One reason for the quote from Terrance Dicks smile You have the Doctor mention some law of the universe which prevents paradoxes, then move on giving it no more thought!

Thumbs up Thumbs down