Topic: 1949: A Sign of the Times

http://i.imm.io/eDc1.jpeg

Written by the published fucking author of "Two Gentlemen of Lebowski," Adam Bertocci, based on an instant message story meeting on two days ago. Script delivered yesterday. Filmed about ten hours ago.

Cinematography by Brian, the lovely lady is Carolyn Siegel (from Movers, if you hadn't noticed) and the rest is me. (Visual effects, music, color correction, editing, so on.)

This came about because I worked my ass off on a really effective method for two-strip color emulation in After Effects. I wrote a detailed tutorial here, as well as included presets and project files.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: 1949: A Sign of the Times

The two-strip effect looks good, and the video was amusing. Good work.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2010-11-13 09:41:10)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very cool, very cool indeed.  I love the bit with the Hollywood(land) sign, was that the actual sign, or was the whole thing comped in?

Man, that Carolyn Siegel looks good in glorious Omnicolor. Just supposin!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The whole sign is CG, and about twice the size it should be from this distance. (It works pretty well, because that's pretty much what the hill would look like if you were twice as close to it. We just...weren't twice as close to it.) The company logo is CG, the WB tower was added last minute, the DC-3 is CG. The two-strip is obviously a complicated lil' effect.

And Beldar, boy oh boy do I agree, wowzers, etc..

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, you didn't just go down and shoot the WB tower?  It's right down the street...

The WB tower is in Burbank. We had one hour to do everything, and everything includes filming in three locations.

Read: means finding parking and filming in three locations.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well slap me silly, that's even more impressive.

Just for fun, here's a comparison video with the exact same edit, but no color correction, FX or audio distortion.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Holy Shit, Teague has lines! And that plane is so fucked.

Anyway, very cool to see a comparison.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I did! Adam wrote them and everything. I didn't intentionally cut them out, but the mic she was talking into didn't pick them up very well, and I chose not to add them back in.

And is fucked good? I never know these things.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fucked as in unless the runway is literally right behind you, Lana Baxter would have had much more interesting things to report on. And even then, I'm still doubtful.

Also, I thought the mic picked up your lines fine.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2010-11-16 05:34:50)

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The audio in the comparison video is off the camera, the audio in the short is off the unit she's holding. You can't hear me in that.

And yeah, plane fucked.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah, I see. Out of curiosity, what's your line as the plane flies over? I can't hear it over the noise.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"He must be making the hotfoot for Idlewild."

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Finally got a chance to check this out, and nicely done gents...and lady.

Plane looks awesome, not much I can really comment on (Especially considering the time constraints), but the sign just wasn't working for me. The letters felt way to light and didn't really look like they were falling properly, and the sound effect you guys used was way too flimsy and loud, to actually sound like it was coming from the letters. If you absolutely wanted to make the letters sound that ridiculously loud a very echoes would have helped sell it.

Otherwise, love the 2-strip...(still need to play with that) and I love the concept. Well done.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I heart this. True story.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Found this thread thanks to them neato new banners. Such a cool little video.

Did some research into Technicolor processes, and that one with really strong reds and cyans was the second two strip process, which was recorded in two strips, then dyed and glued together.

So bumming around in After Effects during today's epic commentary/Intermission recordings I followed the process as dictated in this 1923 Popular Science article:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XSoDAA … mp;f=false

and managed to come up with something that's more or less operationally identical to the optical film process from the 20s.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67689/paulou_2s … s2_v02.aep

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thaaaaat's nifty. Certainly a lot more functional than the process we tried back in 2005 to get similar results. tongue Thanks for the share!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

very good sir.
I enjoyed this.

Those who would trade liberties for securities, deserve neither liberties, nor securities.
-Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up Thumbs down

clap

Those who would trade liberties for securities, deserve neither liberties, nor securities.
-Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha! Thanks. Dragging this old thing up.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down