Topic: Noah

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Noah

That analogy by Trey:

"this movie is Lord of the Rings if you are telling it from Sauron's point of view"

Amazing!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fun commentary.

One of the reasons having two conflicting versions of events in the Bible wasn't an issue, I think, is that Hebrew poetry focused on saying the same thing twice in different ways. Thus, you'd have a line about a future King entering entering riding a donkey, followed by another saying he rode on an ass. The point wasn't what he rode on, but that he'd enter like a common person and not royalty. Later you had early Christians, not familiar with poetic forms, try to have Jesus fulfill this prophesy by having him ride TWO animals into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Then they had huge crowds cheer him on, completely missing the point smile

The original version of Abraham sacrificing his son actually has him do it. If you look at the current story, the passage where he's told to stop is clearly inserted later. The next passage has God praising Abraham for not staying his hand, and Abraham walks down from the hill alone with his son never mentioned again in stories from that source. When child sacrifice was finally abandoned, they did the best they could to clean most of it from the texts.

Last edited by Invid (2014-08-20 22:42:26)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I'm having issues getting the Noah podcast to show up in the itunes feed.  I unsubscribed to the podcast and re-subscribed but that didn't do anything.  Then I deleted the podcast and when I went to subscribe again, not only do none of the episodes show up, but the artwork is missing.  What the hell!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, the episode hasn't shown up yet for me either.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I went to the iTunes store to get it, it showed up on my iPad as its own feed (as opposed to the one I'm subscribed to). Something is mislabeled somewhere.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Listening to the episode again, there's a couple things. First, Noah isn't a Christian story. It's a JEWISH story. The Christians just tossed the Jewish books into the front of theirs (the Muslims, at least, rewrote the Noah story when they included it in the Koran, like they did with the story of Jesus). Critics like those at Fox News bitched that an Atheist was making this film, but the fact he was raised Jewish probably had more to do with how it turned out.

Second, we need to add a term to the dictionary. We already have Teague-Interesting, meaning something only interesting to Teague. To that must be added Teague-Boring: something of no interest because you lack the cultural awareness every other human has and the movie assumes its viewers do.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fixed, for the not-showing-up-in-iTunes people.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

clap

EDIT: Also,

Invid wrote:

To that must be added Teague-Boring: something of no interest because you lack the cultural awareness every other human has and the movie assumes its viewers do.

Man, everyone is just all over me on this one — doesn't it seem a little harsh to make it my fault for not being blown away by a movie? Does anyone really want to be held to that standard? I had the same problem with 2001, after all, because I started the movie being blown away by the wonders of space and the enormity of it all, and just had to sit there while the movie was slowly but surely trying to make its point that I should be blown away by the wonders of space and enormity of it all. Same deal. I lack the "cultural awareness" of the jaded-people-in-1968 audience that Stanley was playing to, just as much as I lack the "cultural awareness" of... I dunno, the people who thought Noah was always a nice little story? Or had always wanted other people to acknowledge that it wasn't? Or, whatever. Whoever Aronofsky was playing to.

Movie just wasn't for me, that's all. Tons of movies aren't for me, just like tons of movies aren't for you. I'm not sure why this case is being singled out.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

EDIT: Also,

Invid wrote:

To that must be added Teague-Boring: something of no interest because you lack the cultural awareness every other human has and the movie assumes its viewers do.

Man, everyone is just all over me on this one — doesn't it seem a little harsh to make it my fault for not being blown away by a movie? Does anyone really want to be held to that standard? I had the same problem with 2001, after all, because I started the movie being blown away by the wonders of space and the enormity of it all, and just had to sit there while the movie was slowly but surely trying to make its point that I should be blown away by the wonders of space and enormity of it all. Same deal. I lack the "cultural awareness" of the jaded-people-in-1968 audience that Stanley was playing to, just as much as I lack the "cultural awareness" of... I dunno, the people who thought Noah was always a nice little story? Or had always wanted other people to acknowledge that it wasn't? Or, whatever. Whoever Aronofsky was playing to.

Movie just wasn't for me, that's all. Tons of movies aren't for me, just like tons of movies aren't for you. I'm not sure why this case is being singled out.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111142124/3898460-8864152835-

Edit: If it's any consolation, Teague, I still like you big_smile

Last edited by fireproof78 (2014-08-21 19:02:12)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:
Invid wrote:

Man, everyone is just all over me on this one — doesn't it seem a little harsh to make it my fault for not being blown away by a movie?

Who said it was your fault? Or that it is a problem? It happens to all of us. There are some things everyone knows, that some people don't. And versa visa. Wear it with pride.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Holden!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the part that was confusing was "When I heard about this, it sounded awesome. This was everything I expected it to be. Meh."

Having had a few days to understand, I think I feel the same way about THE LEGO MOVIE that Teague does about NOAH. People seem largely blown away by it because it never entered their minds that it could even be remotely good. But I'm like "Uh, yeah, did you guys not see CLOUDY? This is a slam dunk for these guys." and as such I think it's fine and enjoyable but wasn't floored by it.

If I'm floored by NOAH, it's less that Aronofsky made a movie like this -- because of course -- and more that he was allowed to do so.

EDIT: It raises an interesting question, actually. Is it possible to really love a movie that meets your expectations? Or can you only appreciate it? If that's what you think the movie ought to be, can it only be adequate if it is exactly that? Does strong affection, like humor, rely on being surprised? You can understand a joke is funny and chuckle at it if you see it coming, but it's the ones you don't see coming that knock you down.

I don't have an answer but I'm inclined to think yes: a movie has to surprise you to reach that level.

This is why I refuse to get excited about anything until I see it.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-08-21 21:32:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Noah was fucking awesome. That is all.....

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Teague, I'm with ya. Opinions be opinions :P

(I thought Her was okay with a dumbish ending and I have yet to finish Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind because I got bored. Oh! and I thought the Princess Bride was well paced until the end.)

Also whoever mentioned The Skeptic's Annotated Bible, thank you!

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is visionary directing. Holy shit. The first act is amazing, the creation montage sublime, the imagery throughout stupendous. The stars, the stars!!!

An incredible achievement.

Totally undermined by the movie’s obvious admission of God’s existence and/or God’s inability/unwillingness to communicate. It all went south to me when the birds came flying. What a disaster. Aronofsky’s thing seems to be environmentalism, but his whole message is cluttered up by God’s B-plot.

So, what is this movie trying to say?

It seems to be saying that Noah is God’s chosen one and that we are to sympathise with Noah’s, and thereby God’s, cause. But how can we sympathise with that cause when God is either so thoroughly stupid, or such a jerk, as to not clearly explain his plan to Noah?

It’s not a cautionary tale for what can happen when wrongly interpreting an order because the order is so obviously obscure to everybody watching that it should be unreasonable to everybody to expect anyone to perfectly understand it.

It’s not a cautionary tale for what can happen through bad leadership, cause the movie seems to want us rooting for God through Hermione’s speech at the end.

It does not want us to think God does not exist in the movie’s universe, because it is obvious that he does.

It does not want us to think God is a jerk and that we should hate him, cause again see Hermione’s speech.

So the conclusion is that God exists and is stupid, but that we should love him anyway? What kind of message is that?

Or maybe we are supposed to think Hermione, and possibly Noah and everybody else, but God, is stupid? Noah seems to be quite smart, so that really falls apart. And, how are we as the audience supposed to relate to idiots, and in fact relate to being framed as idiots? Again, what kind of message is that? Ok, framing the audience as idiots can of course be a device, but I really don’t think the movie is trying to go there, I feel the tone and epilogue suggests otherwise.

Or maybe we are to believe that God, while mighty, is not almighty, and needs a little bit of help. But nothing in the movie remotely corroborates this other than possibly the wanting storytelling, and that would be a seriously daft idea.

Or is the point to say that this story is a stupid story? The tone of the movie certainly does not suggest that. Quite the opposite, it seems to want us to take it very seriously.

It may play as Sauron’s end of the tale, but in no way do I believe that was Aronofsky’s point. If it was he has totally failed in conveying that. Nothing in the movie remotely suggests this and it should be obvious that most people would not read it as that, and as he seems very eager to get a message across and being widely regarded as a rather blunt storyteller, I can’t believe it.

I feel he should have changed it a little bit more, like removing the obvious existence of God, or having God speak directly to Noah, and have Noah knowingly and clearly defy God’s word. I feel that would have made the movie way more interesting, as it stands now I feel the whole point of the movie is moot, or rather, that it is pointless.

I didn’t know anything about the movie before I saw it, only that it was based on the Noah story, and more importantly, the stone giants, so that wasn’t a surprise to me, though it would have been a welcome one, I love the giants. I wonder if that surprise change makes a big or small difference in how one feels about the movie.

Overall, in the end I lean towards Teague’s sentiment I guess (or do I?), though the stars in the daytime sky are awesome.

So to me a failure, a spectacularly beautiful and visionary failure, but ultimately a failure.

Infuriating, it’s so incredibly brilliant! So close.

But maybe I’m missing something, that is quite possible, I get easily confused.

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Snowflake wrote:

It seems to be saying that Noah is God’s chosen one and that we are to sympathise with Noah’s, and thereby God’s, cause. But how can we sympathise with that cause when God is either so thoroughly stupid, or such a jerk, as to not clearly explain his plan to Noah?

So the movie fails because it deviated from the book smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
So the movie fails because it deviated from the book  smile

Hehe, well, more precisely, had it followed the book on that note at least it wouldn’t have failed in that way.

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I Googled for what was in my heart.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-love-snowflakes-4.png

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I love Nowflake too!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're god damned right.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Listening to the episode again, there's a couple things. First, Noah isn't a Christian story. It's a JEWISH story.

No, it's a Babylonian story that the Hebrews ripped off while they were in exile in the 6th century BC.

The Babylonian account, recorded in the Epic of Gilgamesh, dates to at least another 1000 years BEFORE the Jewish version. It's got all the same ingredients. The Babylonians, in turn, probably developed the story from actual flooding in southern Iraq (Sumerian flood plain and birth of the first city states and origin of writing) where the Tigris and Euphrates converge.

Just this year, a new book came out by an Assyriologist from the British Museum, where several ancient cuneiform tablets are housed, recounting this earlier Flood myth...

http://britishmuseumblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/the-ark-before-noah_544.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:
I Googled for what was in my heart.

*blush*

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Snowflake wrote:

It’s not a cautionary tale for what can happen through bad leadership, cause the movie seems to want us rooting for God through Hermione’s speech at the end.

It does not want us to think God does not exist in the movie’s universe, because it is obvious that he does.

It does not want us to think God is a jerk and that we should hate him, cause again see Hermione’s speech.

So the conclusion is that God exists and is stupid, but that we should love him anyway? What kind of message is that?

Well, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and so on, because that's what I liked most about the movie - the ambiguity of it.

The usual Bible movie premise is "We already agree that whatever God wants is good so here's a story about somebody who did what God wanted and lived happily ever after."   That's why Bible movies are especially tedious - talk about no stakes! 

But if a group of real humans - rather than fairy tale archetypes - actually lived through the events in most Bible stories, some of those real humans would surely say "Seriously, are we sure this is right?"  Noah is about humans trying to interpret the will of a god who clearly exists, but doesn't give much info about what He's up to.

So, me - I didn't think the movie needed to make it clear to us what God "wanted" - any more than God needed to make that clear to Noah.

I saw this movie as the good version of the story of Abraham and Isaac on the mountain. Noah eventually decides that the love he has for his family doesn't outweigh the love he has for his god, and God says, "Yup, nailed it!" and there are rainbows and happiness and stuff.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down