Topic: Wedding photography!

Wedding photography is the photography of exercises identifying with weddings. It includes photos of the couple before marriage. Words usually can't do a picture justice yet I think wedding photographs are more than that, it comprises of affection, guarantee, memory, enthusiasm, and delight. A standout amongst the most accommodating tips I've been given about Wedding Photography is to stretch the couple to ponder the shots that they'd like you to catch on the day and assemble a rundown so you can confirm them. This is especially useful in the family shots. There's nothing more awful than recovering the photographs and acknowledging you didn't photo the joyful couple with grandmother!
Visit the areas of the better places that you'll be shooting before the enormous day. While I'm certain most Masters don't do this – I discover it truly accommodating to know where we're going, have a thought of a couple of positions for shots and to know how the light may become an integral factor. On one or two weddings I even went by areas with the couples and took a couple of test shots.

Last edited by macphotography08 (2014-12-03 09:17:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Wedding photography!

Yeah, dude, you're gonna have to contribute something that isn't a weird plug for yourself in the next few hours, or you're banned. This will be deleted. We don't do spam.

At the very least, go listen to an episode and come back here to complain about it or something.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is actually tremendously funny.  Can we turn this thread into "advertise things the way this guy would?"

When.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Sell me on it.

big_smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Aw and here I was hoping for a somewhat serious discussion of those of us who have shot wedding photo/video. (Not broken up that it isn't because I somehow manage to relate it into a frightening number of unrelated discussions.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Take it away. How do you do the job well?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:

This is actually tremendously funny.  Can we turn this thread into "advertise things the way this guy would?"

Oh wait, I can do that quite easily. I think we should just Mad Lib it up. Here's what I've got so far:

[Activity] [hobby] is the [hobby] of exercises identifying with [activity]s. It includes photos of the couple before marriage. Words usually can't do a picture justice yet I think [activity] photographs are more than that, it comprises of affection, guarantee, memory, enthusiasm, and delight. A standout amongst the most accommodating tips I've been given about [activity] [hobby] is to stretch the couple to ponder the [small object] that they'd like you to catch on the day and assemble a rundown so you can confirm them. This is especially useful in the family [small object]. There's nothing more awful than recovering the photographs and acknowledging you didn't photo the joyful couple with grandmother!
Visit the areas of the better places that you'll be shooting before the enormous day. While I'm certain most Masters don't do this – I discover it truly accommodating to know where we're going, have a thought of a couple of positions for [small object] and to know how the light may become an integral factor. On one or two [activity]s I even went by areas with the couples and took a couple of test [small object].

Teague wrote:

Take it away. How do you do the job well?

A lot of preparation. In fact last night was one where we did everything right but hadn't prepared our timeline properly ahead of time; we shot it well and got good results but it didn't really click as something amazing.

I did post a generic post-production workflow in the appropriate thread, so this as a supplement might be pretty cool actually.

I'll run through an abbreviated (Edit: whoops) timeline, broken up into sections of the day with SPOILER tags. Keep in mind that my thing is videography, not photography, though primarily the company I work for offers both as combination packages. I see the photogs doing their thing and could do it in a pinch of I had to but it's not my forte.

Getting Ready Show
Getting Ready

We arrive at least fifteen minutes before our scheduled start time, introduce ourselves so the bridesmaids aren't all of a sudden "ah cameras!" and get establishing shots.

Getting Ready, or Bridal prep, is a good indicator of how the day will go. Is the bride stressed? Is there a tense family dynamic from divorced parents? Or is it awesome and happy and yay? The more stress there is, the more judicious you have to be about where you point the camera and even where you are; two or three guys with cameras in a smallish room can be pressure that the bride doesn't need. Step out for a bit and come back in when things are better. Whether because of this or even if things are going well, make sure you also have time to shoot details like the dress (ALWAYS the dress), any jewelry, shoes, and rings. (Typically we get shots of the rings now but sometimes we don't have access to all of them, so we get them later at night.)

If your timetable, which you've worked out with the couple ahead of time, gives you time to get some shots of the guys getting ready, then go for it. Alternatively a second team getting the guys works great too. This is far less demanding; see them in their slacks and undershirts, then putting on vests, ties, jackets, then detail shots of cufflinks and/or any other cool items they're using, be they superhero flasks or, um, lightsabers.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/1377556_602913903088532_880485132_n.jpg?oh=81a490208adedf04b3315ac8bad7357b&oe=54AE64A0&__gda__=1421965703_04eb35aea2a80c038e0c2ffb827406e4

If you've got the team for it, you may two-shoot the bride getting into her dress (as in, have two cameras rolling), but it's generally not needed.

First Look Show
First Look

The First Look is increasing in popularity. I wish I had done one at mine a year ago. It lets the couple see each other in a private moment and work out off of those jitters from how beautiful she is, or how nicely he cleans up. (I didn't realize it but apparently I was so nervous during my ceremony that I was rather pale, which was easier to spot because of light rosacea I had at the time. I was also barely able to pay attention to what was being said, which is a note in favor of videography in general. srsly do eet)

We roll two cameras as a rule, one on the bride on her approach and a close-up on the groom as he turns around and sees her for the first time. Sometimes we do a wide third shot if the location is particularly stunning and breathtaking. After that moment and a minute or so of "wow" and hugging and kissing, the photographer will start to get photos of the couple and the bridal party. (Another reason for a first look is to get these out of the way beforehand so you can enjoy your cocktail hour, which is another reason for my regret of not doing one.) One camera is fine, just follow the photographer and get shots of what they're shooting. Close-ups, wides, couple and full bridal party. Ask the photographer if you can take the reins for a couple shots and get some with movement or cheering, something that video can do that photo cannot.

Once you feel you've gotten enough, depart to start preparing your ceremony.

Ceremony Show
Ceremony

This is important. This is why you've been hired. Do this right and do not fuck up.

Arrive an hour ahead of time to set up your gear. Yesterday my assistant and I, due to improper preparation of the timeline and not knowing the layout of the venue, arrived at 3:30 for a 4:00 ceremony. We unpacked a ton of gear for a somewhat long walk and prepared our five-camera setup and were ready at 3:59. (Ceremony ended up starting twenty five minutes late, but we were ready for it to be on time.) Don't leave it to this. I was stressed and wasn't thinking clearly when I needed to be, or I would have seen the opportunity for a really neat additional GoPro angle before it was too late to add in.

The simplest way to shoot a ceremony is to have a wide camera as a dump shot and another camera that you move around with getting tight shots. If you've got the equipment though, I recommend at least four - a wide shot, a tight shot down the center aisle with the bride, groom and officiant, and a dedicated camera on each side, one for the bride's face and one for the groom. Add to this any specialty cameras you want - we add one or two GoPros for additional angles.

Because this is your reason for being there, don't be afraid to have gear that you use for only this half hour of the day (or hour). We have a Panasonic video camera that's not great visual quality but has two XLR inputs; this is our wide camera. We have a 75-300 variable aperture zoom lens that's a pain with moving targets and ick, variable aperture; this is our center aisle lens for getting a great three shot even from near the back of a church.

Get at least one lav microphone to put on the officiant to hear him and catch the couples' vows. Ideally you'll have a second on the groom for backup. (One groom refused to wear a mic then the officiant muted his, we asked the couple to come in to ADR their vows because they were awesome and we didn't have them. We can now keep the mics from being muted but still insist to the groom on a backup in case of equipment failure.) We also have two audio recorders. In a church, one is placed on the lectern for readings, and a second near the live musicians, if any. Outside there's typically a DJ set up so our audio recorder is plugged into that to get clear audio. Let me state this plainly: get clear audio. Without it you're just a sequence of photographs, and with the photographer already there, why are you there?

A larger team for the ceremony helps to keep all of these pieces of equipment operating smoothly and pointed where they need to be, but if it's just you, plan your time and movements carefully. Know if your cameras stop recording and need to be restarted at the [12, 30] minute mark and you need to restart them before they hit that on their own. Move calmly, never appearing rushed. If you can monitor your audio feed, check it to make sure you're loud enough but not clipping. When the point of interest moves, figure out which camera needs to shoot it and adjust that one first, and then the others accordingly.

Planning ahead helps, as does keeping a cool head in the moment. Keep it together and before you know it, the ceremony is done. Now it's time for family photos.

Family Photos Show
Family Photos

Ignore.

Okay, so. As a videographer these aren't really important. If you have a ton of time in your schedule, then get a few shots, with the parents at least. But if you're pressed for time, break down your gear and head to the reception. If the couple didn't do a first look, the photos with the two of them will be after family photos, so try to work that into your schedule ahead of time so you can do so. (A first look makes things easier on your vendors too, just saying.)

This is the one point that I'll talk about photographers, because this is where they must shine. Preparation is key, knowing all of the family shot combinations the couple wants and wrangling them all. An assistant here is paramount to let people know who's on deck. A smoothly run family photo session can be a joy, whereas if it's even slightly botched, people begin to question your professionalism. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Reception Show
Reception

This is what the couple has been planning for the last year and a half. The ceremony is nice but come on man, the party.

Once again, get here an hour early if possible. Our typical reception formality setup is a wide DSLR, a tight DSLR, and a GoPro and/or a third DSLR for emotional reactions - people cheering during the grand entrance, crying during dances, and so forth. We also have two video lights to properly light the dance floor (and the grand entrance approach if it's not well lit) and an audio recorder to plug into the DJ/band's system for clear audio during the entrance, dances and toasts.

Talk with the band leader or DJ to find out where everybody is entering from and what they're doing, and prepare your cameras and lights accordingly. If you have a preferred spot for people to stand during toasts, let them know so they can let the toast-givers know where to stand.

Though there's a lot of formalities during the reception, the formula of wide/tight/reaction works great throughout. Wide shot of the dance floor with people in the background for dances and a tight shot on the dancing couple; wide shot of the couple (plus speaker if they're there) during toasts with a tight shot on the speaker. Bouquet/Gater toss, um, you're sorta on your own. for tosses get a closeup on the tosser (snrk, sorry) and a wide shot of the ladies/men catching (srk, can't help it, I swear I'm a professional here), and for garter retrieval/placing, more First Look style, each camera pointed at one of the subjects.

Again, preparation is key. If you have a team, know before the shoot who has which role. When you get to the location, use your hour of prep time to set up not just the first dance but go over with your team where everything will be, who's responsible for moving cameras and lights. Have a method of communicating with your team: something unexpected happens and the assistant looks at the lead videographer. The lead points to the assistant, then holds up one finger, signifying 1 shot, or close-up on the speaker, during the toast because the speaker didn't move where they were told and the assistant, who was going to get a wide shot, is in a better location for the tight shot. You know, for example. Having agreed-upon nonverbal communication (as well as radios with earpieces) can help your team move smoothly.

After formalities are done, you're in open dancing. Shoot stuff with whatever gear you've got. No need to two-shoot unless an impromptu event breaks out (or if like at my wedding, we told the team we wanted continuous, multi-angle video rolling on "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" because it's kind of a thing with my wife's family). Snipe people's dancing, happy faces with a tight lens on a tripod; smoothly move through the dance floor with a wide lens on a GlideCam; get cool stuff. Flex your creative muscles.

Get ring shots if you haven't done so already. If the photographer does night photography, tag along.

Chances are you won't leave by your end time. If you're set to leave at 10:30, you probably won't be out of there until 11, even if you had your assistant start packing up non-essential gear at 10.

A lot goes on during a wedding. A mantra I heard early on is, "Every wedding is the same, every wedding is different." After you've done, say, ten weddings, you'll have a good idea of what goes on in one so you'll be prepared, but you also need to be adaptable for weird stuff happening within that constant framework. Once again, it all comes back to preparation. Talk to the couple ahead of time, have a timeline, go over it with your team, and be ready for anything.

All that's left to do now is edit the thing.

Last edited by Boter (2014-10-05 16:28:59)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

macphotography08 wrote:

Wedding photography is the photography of exercises identifying with weddings.

I was just re-reading Zarban's reminiscences about Dorkman's prison years, and then read this post next, and I think I hurt my brain. 

Ben wrote:

I think we should just Mad Lib it up. Here's what I've got so far:

Brilliant!  My only suggested addition would be:

...There's nothing more awful than recovering the photographs and acknowledging you didn't photo [small object] with grandmother!...

And apologies to you, Boter, for distracting from your valiant attempt to turn this thread into something useful.  smile

Last edited by sellew (2014-10-05 16:44:54)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Underwater Tricycle Helicopter Rental Service is an exercise identifying with vertical kayaking, interstellar lava pottery and acapella sea urchins. 240p video as well as Helen Kellers eye witness testimony usually can't do the experience justice yet I think that underwater helicoptering is more than that, it comprises of counter-intuitiveness, sudden fondness of biscuits, reverse microwaving and calculus. A standout amongst the most accommodating tips I've been given about UTH is to stretch the nearest couple a bit when pondering the necessity of taking that much acid before assembling a runway that can't be confirmed. This is especially useful when hunting baboons with your grandmother. There's nothing more awful than acknowledging you didn't bring any gills for your trip!
Visit areas of all places you'll be visiting, not just the better ones. The indigenous species that live there are people too and they don't need your judgement. While I'm certain most Masters don't do this - I discover it truly accommodating to know where we're going, mostly when driving. Have a thought of a couple of positions, you know, for research purposes and if you have shots drink them. Bring a flashlight. On one or two events I even went by the area and took some test dives using a small piece of string and an eskimo vending machine.
Bernardurian Underwater Helicopter

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

thewalkindude00 wrote:

Nice Ben. So many [Activity] [hobby] [small object] combinations going through my head right now...

http://l-x11.com/photography.php go crazy, kids smile

Last edited by Lamer (2014-10-05 19:12:40)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:

And apologies to you, Boter, for distracting from your valiant attempt to turn this thread into something useful.  smile

It's cool tongue Might do another P&P thread and lead off with that.

Also: went crazy, attempt at a Carl Sagan edition.

Saying "billions" science is the science of exercises identifying with saying "billions"s. It includes photos of the couple before marriage. Words usually can't do a picture justice yet I think saying "billions" photographs are more than that, it comprises of affection, guarantee, memory, enthusiasm, and delight. A standout amongst the most accommodating tips I've been given about saying "billions" science is to stretch the couple to ponder the mote of dust that they'd like you to catch on the day and assemble a rundown so you can confirm them. This is especially useful in the family mote of dust. There's nothing more awful than recovering the photographs and acknowledging you didn't photo mote of dust with grandmother! Visit the areas of the better places that you'll be shooting before the enormous day. While I'm certain most Masters don't do this - I discover it truly accommodating to know where we're going, have a thought of a couple of positions for mote of dust and to know how the light may become an integral factor. On one or two saying "billions"s I even went by areas with the couples and took a couple of test mote of dusts.

I heartily endorse the P&P idea.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Podcast pickle.
Streaming strawberry
Broadcast banana.
Talkshow tootsie roll

Thumbs up Thumbs down