Re: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

Herc wrote:

I finally got around to Mirror's Edge. Pleasantly surprised. Took some getting used to the flow of it, but once I did, it got so fucking satisfying! Totally recommend it (also, super-cheap on Steam right now).

Also have gone back to the original Tomb Raider games. Almost at the end of TR3 and it's not as irritating (pull a switch that does something in some room you have no fucking idea where it is) as I remembered. Fun!

Maybe not, but I find the controls horrific. At least compared to modern layouts and schemes.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Mirror's Edge controls took some getting used to but they made sense in their own way, just different from normal conventions.

So I started and finished (multiple times) playing The Stanley Parable. Love love loved the game. That Confusion Ending's a bitch.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Well, I was talking about the classic Tomb Raider games.

Tomahawk Ellingsen

www.extendededition.net

Aha! Then yes. I wouldn't go so far as "horrific" but certainly "frustrating".

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

This is kinda the best thread we have for this so, here goes.

I never played any of the System Shock games, but apparently they're amazing. But the remake looks like it's gonna be slick as hell.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I haven't played them; the closest I've gotten was a really well done fan-fiction. The guy took the one minute opening cutscene and expanded it into seven chapters. That naturally being the start of the story, people wanted him to finish, so he took it from there and wrote the story out, sometimes wildly diverging from the game.

The story is Free Radical by Shamus Young. I definitely recommend the read - I've done so numerous times and indulged in getting myself a copy from the guy's Lulu store.

Played some Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with Steph yesterday, will probably do a video with it soonish. If you haven't played or heard of it, one player sits in front of the screen (or Oculus but since mine isn't that dependable I didn't want to rely on it) and has a bomb to defuse, while all other players cannot look at the screen and instead have a bomb defusal manual. Here's a walkthrough of probably the simplest module; there are many types and up to 11 on one bomb.

"Red button labeled ABORT."
"Are there more than two batteries on the bomb?"
"Yes, three."
"Is there a lit indicator somewhere on the bomb with the letters Foxtrot Romeo Kilo?"
"No."
"Hold the button. What color did the stripe next to it light up?"
"Yellow."
"Release when the countdown timer has a 5 in any position."

Lots of communication necessary and the more advanced modules are pretty complex. You need a good system for communicating and need to be concise and clear. Also, did I mention a countdown? Five minutes and an increasing music tempo rush you along. Definitely recommended.

Last edited by Boter (2016-08-07 20:51:52)

Helloooooo [echo]

Spent the majority of my free time for the past three weeks doing a mission in Elite: Dangerous, going 22,000 light years out and back with an aggressive timetable and a ship very ill-suited to the journey. Overall time spent: 55 hours.

I wrote up the journey to the blog I write for. Feel free to read about exploration, astronomy, and my (mostly) anime viewing habits here: http://whatchareading.com/tag/colonia-a … ;order=ASC (I know that the site is slow; he's looking at switching hosts because it's just getting unreasonable as of late.)

If you want to skip all the drama and just see me coming back into the home station, check it out here:

Last edited by Boter (2016-11-23 17:57:29)