Topic: WANTED: Astronomy data for a fantasy world

Hello! Let's get right to it. I've been doing some research regarding the possibility of setting my fantasy novel on an earth-like planet orbiting a gas giant.

I've gotten a lot of the basic stuff like the effects of synchronous rotation on seasons (there wouldn't be any), midday eclipse, midnight light from the gas giant being nearly as bright as the day...

I've found some great resources on this, but now I need specifics like
If the orbital period of the moon ("earth") was about 30 hours, how long would the midday eclipse be (depends on the gas giant's size...I've no idea how to estimate this)?

If the gas giant were blue like Neptune, would the reflected light during the night be obviously blue? (I'm so ignorant...)

There was a lot I read about apsidal precession and crazy orbital stuff I can't make anything out of.

Note that I've read quite a bit of speculatory stuff, so that's not what I'm looking for.
I would need some specific work done...which is asking a lot, I know. If anyone has the knowledge and would be willing to work with me on this, I'd at least offer an acknowledgment WHEN the book gets published.

What happens on this planet and when will greatly affect the cultures in my book, so I need this. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-01-23 16:17:49)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: WANTED: Astronomy data for a fantasy world

Are you just trying to determine gas giant size, or do you need to figure out how to calculate eclipse time?  In any case, I found this article on gas giants that might be helpful:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudarsky%2 … sification

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I asked a scientist.

A Scientist wrote:

So basically, you need to resolve two things

What are the orbital characteristics of an existing earth-like planet orbiting a planet like Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus or Neptune.

And

Can a gas giant exist within the 'sweet spot' around a sun which would support conventional life as we know it.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I personally am in the camp that figures, if it works for the story and setting you want to build, do it without worrying about what's scientifically accurate, as long as it passes the "sounds reasonable" sniff test. That being said, you may want to look at a moon around a gas giant in our solar system. How long is its orbital period, how far away is it from its parent planet, how large is that parent planet. Then you can math it up and find that it wouldn't be behind the planet for much time at all - look at how long one of our lunar eclipses last (a few hours) and our moon is much bigger in relation to Earth than a gas giant's moons are in relation to it.

Also note that the moon likely wouldn't be in the eclipse shade at all but for maybe once or twice a year, unless you go for the contrivance of having the moon's orbital plane exactly match the orbital plane of the parent planet.

As for the color of planetshine - seems reasonable that a blue planet would reflect more blue light while a red gas giant might reflect redder light.

As far as I know, gas giants are well known to exist within different Goldilocks zones in different star systems. Upsilon Andromedae is one I can name off the top of my head (because I wrote a story set there too, ages ago).

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Faldor wrote:

I asked a scientist.

A Scientist wrote:

So basically, you need to resolve two things

What are the orbital characteristics of an existing earth-like planet orbiting a planet like Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus or Neptune.

And

Can a gas giant exist within the 'sweet spot' around a sun which would support conventional life as we know it.

...yes. Those are the things I need help figuring out.

Also while I'm not stressing about PERFECT accuracy, I do want to know everything I can because a) the more big things I get right, the more I can get away with a few little tricks, and b) the more details I know about things the more ideas I get for cultural and story development I never would have thought of, and c) there's a space visualizer I'm looking at that will allow me to make a video of a day on my planet...being able to SEE that would be amazing.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

I personally am in the camp that figures, if it works for the story and setting you want to build, do it without worrying about what's scientifically accurate, as long as it passes the "sounds reasonable" sniff test.

Well, in general you want to know enough facts to be able to fake the rest. Unless specifics are needed for story reasons you can be vague about quite a bit. As this is a fantasy world, physics might not even work the same as on Earth.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not sure if this will help or not but one of my new favorite sites is scifiideas.com. It has a lot of handy articles from authors and other people in various fields related to aliens, world building and the like. The world building part might be handy for you: http://www.scifiideas.com/category/worldbuilding/. I thought there was an article about gas giants but I could not find it right off.

I'll keep my eyes out though smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

...As this is a fantasy world, physics might not even work the same as on Earth.

It's actually more of a pre-tech sci fi. There's zero magic or anything like it. Sci fi because it's set on a very different planet.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wherever possible, I'd use existing data about the big moons like Ganymede, Europa and Titan and research as much as possible into their characteristics (days, nights, temperature, orbit etc.), that way you'd be using real science but just transplanted elsewhere.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Because you said Neptune, I used actual Neptune to do some quick and dirty math. To have a 30 day orbital period our "moon" has to orbit at about 1,000,000 km. This makes our gas giant have an angular diameter of about 170 arc minutes, or ~ 6 times larger than the moon. This would roughly mean that an eclipse would last about 6 times longer, for a max of about 45 minutes when everything lines up and you're standing in the right place. As for how blue it would make your nights (and, potentially, at least a little bit, your days), use your imagination, I feel like you've got a significant amount of artistic license there.

EDIT: And to add, just in case you don't know, your planet is tidally locked to the gas giant. The above only applies to the gas giant facing side of the planet. The other side will have uninterrupted days and very dark nights. And is probably colder, I think. And gets hit by more meteors.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-01-24 13:15:54)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Curious why it has to orbit at 1000000 km?

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A more distant orbit would result in a slower orbital period than 30 days. Check every moon in the solar system and in fact the planets themselves. Mercury takes 88 Earth days; Neptune takes 165 Earth years.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Right I guess I meant could it be closer? smile

This is helpful thanks guys. It's exciting to think about how a culture would operate with a midday eclipse and a night almost as bright as the day. They'd probably have natural polyphasic sleep patterns. Also I've learned if the moon's orbit was slightly elliptical the tides could still happen. Also if the orbit precessed just outside the giant's magnetosphere they'd have a few days a year of nearly planet-wide aurorae. Think of their "new year" celebrations! Ha sorry I just think its cool.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-01-24 18:46:14)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also the orbital period would be thirty hours, not days.
Maybe that would force the moon inside the planet's Roche limit. Or at least inside "we're dead" limit...

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:
Invid wrote:

...As this is a fantasy world, physics might not even work the same as on Earth.

It's actually more of a pre-tech sci fi. There's zero magic or anything like it. Sci fi because it's set on a very different planet.

Avoid using the word "fantasy" anywhere in your promotional blurbs, then smile From experience, success comes as much from keeping readers away as drawing ones in. If they expect one thing and get another, they can get very angry.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes. I've been struggling with the necessary label for an iron-age war drama set on an alien planet...dunno I'll figure it out after I've written the thing.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Also the orbital period would be thirty hours, not days.
Maybe that would force the moon inside the planet's Roche limit. Or at least inside "we're dead" limit...

Ah, I misread earlier. 30 hours has us orbiting at ~125000 km. The quick rule for Roche limit is 2.5 times the radius of the larger body, so in this case it is ~62000 km. So, while we're not inside the Roche limit, we are rather close to it. As were tidally locked, we don't actually have tides, but if we did, they would be extreme. As it is, it would mean that water might not necessarily run downhill in favor of running planet side, and the planet side would have much more water than the other side. And our moon isn't all that round.

The angular size is now ~1300 arc minutes, or 40 times larger than the moon. This means eclipses could last as long as 4.5 hours. Because the planet is such a large portion of the sky, it's reflected light is going to be quite significant, and because the time when you would have the most sunlight and least planet shine you are instead eclipsed, the planet side is going to be really blue at night fading to pretty blue during the day, then dark. The thermal heat being radiated from the planet is going to make the planet side of the moon much warmer than the back side, and the back side will get competitively very cold during the night, which would likely cause extreme weather and high winds as things try to balance out. This, I think, should give the back side plenty of rain to balance out it's shitty oceans.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

Yes. I've been struggling with the necessary label for an iron-age war drama set on an alien planet...dunno I'll figure it out after I've written the thing.

Maybe you're taking the wrong approach here.

Lord Of The Rings, Dragon Age and Final Fantasy are all works of fiction not set on Earth. Yet, they never claim it to be an alien world.

LotR is simply set in the world of Middle Earth. Is it Earth? Is it not earth? One can't be sure, but geographically, it isn't. It's a fantasy world in which men did not descend from apes, and there are other humanlike races around.

Dragon Age is set in the world of Thedas(which, fun fact, is just an abbreviation of THE Dragon Age Setting.), but it's never claimed anywhere that this is even our universe, or what galaxy it's set in. Just a fantasy world that is similar to our planet, and has dragons and magic and other humanlike races.

Final Fantasy is a bit more tricky, as each new game takes on a new setting, but they all have things in common. They're all set in fantasy worlds known as this or that, but never claim to be part of our universe. The all have varying degrees of Space and/or space travel using different technology to get there, but never in the course of now 14(numerical anyways) entries have anyone mentioned the Milky Way galaxy, or even Andromeda.

What I'm getting at is that your world doesn't need to be scientifically correct, nor does it have to be a Sci-Fi. It could simply be a fantasy novel set in a different world than ours.

Your world is a moon set around a gas giant, and that's fine. Reading ShadowDuelist's post, they make enough sense for me to buy the concept, even if he's just bullshitting us all. Not saying he is, but for all I know, he might be. He is, however, making a good enough case of it for me to buy it.

I don't think you should linger on Orbiting distances, Roche limit, arc minutes or planet shine. Instead, focus on getting the basics right: It's a moon orbiting a large gas giant. It's day cycles, measured by the sun, is X amount of hours(measured in earth hours, apparently), and as it's a moon, and tidally locked, one side has more direct sunlight, and longer nights, whereas the other side has constant heat emitting from the planet, and a much bluer(if that's the giant's color anyway) hue in the sky. The latter side also has more stable weather, as the day/night cycles aren't that different from each other, temperature-wise.

..And even that might be going too much into depth.

Take LotR, for instance: It's insinuated, in the films, that the Grey Havens, is simply a place that isn't middle earth. It's also insinuated that this is the realm of the dead, but never specifically explained. Do I care? No. It works, and that's enough for me. I'm sure the books flesh out the details, but having not read them, I don't know.

If you're writing a fantasy-like novel that doesn't have magic, write it as such. Don't pester the reader with techno-babble, or you might lose them fast. I know I'd have a hard time trying to grasp all the numbers and facts if they were to suddenly pop out all at once.

Have it be lore. Something that all the inhabitants know, but do a fair bit of explanation to the reader. Depends on your writing style, obviously. Is it first person, third person? Is there a narrator? If it's the latter, then sure, you could explain all in detail, but if it's the prior two, the characters probably know all of it, and unless your protagonist is new in town, he/she will too. Don't have someone take the time to explain it to him/her. Hell, even if he/she has a sudden case of amnesia, it's not like they'll suddenly think things on their planet work like on earth, and have to have it all explained again. I've met people who have long-term memory loss, but even they won't ask what the big, bright thing in the blue large field high above us is, and why it gives off heat.

The TL;DR version:

Don't get stuck on details. Figure out something that's theoretically possible, and stick with that.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2015-01-25 09:09:22)

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I can't help with any of technical stuff, so I'll say this instead under the veil of something useful.

Don't, for the love of all things holy and good in this universe or any other, get so hung up on your world building and awesome scientifically accurate planetary rotations that you forget about your characters. It's WAY to easy of a trap to fall into, and it sucks hardcore, and believe me I love reading the wiki pages for fictional universes as much as the next guy (Don't judge me), but that's ancillary to what is happening with your characters, your story and the emotions at hand.

And going off what Tom was saying, it's like the guys are always saying, it's good for you to have your rulebook and know how the world works, but DO NOT explain it to your audience. Anything beyond what they need to know to get the picture is too much.

All of this is moot of course if you intend to write a fictional encyclopaedia of this fictional land and not a novel.

Although I hear the market is rather smaller for that sort of thing. tongue

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm going to second Tom and BDA here. It's more important for the details to serve the story then vice versa. Unless you're writing super hard sci-fi, no one is going to get mad at you because your math doesn't check out. Don't feel beholden to my math and speculation if it's getting in the way of your story. I was going to type more here, but I realized I was just repeating what Tom said in different words, so just go read his post again.

Edit: I will add this: It's ok to tell us about your world, the details you give us help bring it to life, but do it in a natural way, and don't overwhelm us. We should learn about your world the same way we learn that Tattooine has two suns, or that Coriscant is all city. No one sits down to have a conversation about it, it just shows up in an establishing shot and everyone just treats it like it's normal, 'cause to them it is. Those details are an important part of bringing a world to life, Tattooine isn't really the same without it's twin suns, but they're backstage to the story taking place.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-01-25 09:53:32)

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

...As were tidally locked, we don't actually have tides, but if we did, they would be extreme. As it is, it would mean that water might not necessarily run downhill in favor of running planet side, and the planet side would have much more water than the other side...
...This, I think, should give the back side plenty of rain to balance out it's shitty oceans.

I derped and forgot that you get high tides on both sides of the planet, and low tides between them. This help regulate the temperature on the back side of the planet, making it always colder then the planet side. That probably means constant, really shitty weather along the transition zone. Always raining, constant extreme winds, etc.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

....I haven't read a page, and I'm already in love with the concept world we're kinda building here.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

We should learn about your world the same way we learn that Tattooine has two suns, or that Coriscant is all city. No one sits down to have a conversation about it.

Um...

RIC OLIE wrote:

"Coruscant...the capital of the Republic...the entire planet is
one big city"

Sorry, not actually helping wink

Io9 had this a few years back showing how it might look if we had other planets in orbit instead of the moon.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Yeah. I love world building (and is one of my current projects for my own writing).

But, to echo what has been said, characters matter more. The details of the mechanics of the planet are important to the author but not always to the audience. Please don't misunderstand me. I like that you are building your world on physics and that you want that to be realistic (relatively speaking). I think that will give you great internal consistency for your world and story.

But, the characters are what draw people in. The essence of Speculative Fiction (note: not science fiction) is the idea of how characters react to a given situation.

tl:dr Love the world building, and happy to help. Make sure characters get the same love smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RIC OLIE wrote:

"Coruscant...the capital of the Republic...the entire planet is
one big city"

Which is a great way in film to describe what took Heir to the Empire at least a page. There is so much backstory on Coruscant, but a character said (redundantly, if you think about it) the most crucial piece of information the audience needed at that time.

I just finished reading a book called Dark Eden that has a VERY different, alien world, not just alien as in "not Earth" but as in "these concepts haven't even been done before". Information is revealed by the characters little by little in a natural fashion. I recommend picking it up for world building done well, and revealed to the audience well. The first lesson I'd take from it is, don't be afraid to throw your audience into the deep end off the bat. Just throw them worldbuilding lifelines as the narrative calls and you'll be fine.