Re: Friends in Your Dungeon

Well...

Mine are prettier...so nyah.

Shadow: Any word on which edition we're using?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

We're playing 5th Edition, as that's what I have the books for. Here's a dropbox link for the pdf. I recommend at least reading the Shadowrun Concepts chapter (Page 44) and the Combat chapter (page 158). Don't let it intimidate you! It might seem confusing and complex at first, but don't worry, I will run everyone through some example combats before we start and make sure everyone understands how it works. It looks more complicated on paper that it is to play. People looking for some more reading and or are planning to make a decker or technomancer, a rigger, or a magic user might want to read The Matrix (page 214), Riggers (page 264), or Magic (page 276) respectively. One of the things I love about this book is it just hase several short stories interspersed between the heavier stuff, so if you're looking to just get a sense of the world, give those a read.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay cool. My major concern honestly was the world building stuff, just getting a sense of what's going on so I'm not walking in entirely blind. So I'll do some reading this weekend.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

There are also Shadowrun novels if you want to read some of them. I enjoyed the few I've read, and have been told that for the most part they're all good.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Y'ALL.

What time Monday? So I know when to leave work.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

And, of course, I have to work until 10 (PST) that Monday...I normally don't sad

I will be doing some reading. Thank you for sharing all the info of the world.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll probably start around 5-6 my time (CST) and run until whenever. This is my Google+ page, if you add me on there I can add you back so on monday I can add you to the Hangout. So far the only person I've got is BDA.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Added. I'll try to familiarize myself with the ruleset before we start. Will we be creating characters on Monday?

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Boter wrote:

Will we be creating characters on Monday?

As far as I know that's the plan. I'm walking through things right now, getting a rough idea down that we can go through and fix and finalize tomorrow.

Plus we'll probably end up doing a bunch of random stuff, I doubt we'll be ready to go after tomorrow though. Considering we'll be down at least one person for sure. *glares at Fire*

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Cool. Sounds like you guys know what's gonna be happening now.

Just as a writing experiment, let's pretend someone has never done anything like this before. Give it to me in Captain Dummy talk, Kaylee.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Basically we're reading through the ruleset to get an understanding of how this particular system works. (Ruleset pdf is posted on the previous page, if you wanna give it a read). So for example this particular uses strictly D6's for all of it's checks. So if I need to say...do a barrel roll... the rules will tell me how many dice I get to use and how many passes I need to successfully do it. Mutliply that times, every skill check you can probably think of.

Personally I'm also trying to get through as much of the world building stuff so I have a good understanding of the universe going in.

And then I am going through the character creation steps to get an understanding of what I can do, how it's set up, what kinds of characters I could make, what sorts of skills are available, how the magic works, etc etc. And then I've started developing a concept for my character (In my case, a parkour sniper that can do kind of some magic stuff) and starting to work on a backstory.

So...lots of reading basically. Lots and lots of reading.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-19 15:46:06)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Boter wrote:

Will we be creating characters on Monday?

As far as I know that's the plan. I'm walking through things right now, getting a rough idea down that we can go through and fix and finalize tomorrow.

Plus we'll probably end up doing a bunch of random stuff, I doubt we'll be ready to go after tomorrow though. Considering we'll be down at least one person for sure. *glares at Fire*

Yep, all my fault tongue

In all seriousness, I usually work until 7 (PST) on Mondays so I was only hoping you would still be running by the time I'm off and have my computer up and going.

Have to work on video capabilities as well.

Shadow, are you planning on archiving the video for those who are trying to keep up (read: for Teague)?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lots of reading, but being introduced to tabletop RPGs in general is hard to do with just reading a particular rulebook. You can get a lot more feel for a particular system while creating characters. Because we're all sorts of different skill levels, from very familiar with Shadowrun to not familiar with that system at all (me) to not familiar with RPGs (you, Teague), working together to create characters will get a feel for the party as well as explaining a number of things needed for the game.

If the reading legwork is too intimidating - and again, that's totally okay - just show up on Monday with some six-sided dice (aka "dice" to non-gamers) and a willingness to learn.

For those that this means anything to, my first RPG was AD&D 2nd Edition. I knew basically nothing of the rules, I just showed up and the other players helped me figure things out. (I was also 13 at the time, my uncle was the DM, and my Dad was one of the other players, but still.)

If that all meant nothing to you, it means I started out in the deep end of RPGs without having had any swimming lessons, but my fellow players kept me afloat and taught me to swim, and we'll do the same for anyone else who's interested this time around.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

fireproof78 wrote:

Shadow, are you planning on archiving the video for those who are trying to keep up (read: for Teague)?

I wasn't planning on recording the character creation stuff, but if you guys want me too I can post an unlisted version so you guys can see what all we did.

And Teague; absolutely what Boter said. The first time I got introduced to most of this stuff I went in totally blind. (I got through character creation...kinda... and then the group fell apart. iyc.) The rest I've just picked up hanging out on the sidelines, and watching stuff like Tabletop Time and Critical Role.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Thanks, BDA.

Also, thank you, Boter. It is definitely something I want to try to do, but if I cannot, I don't a) want to hang you guys up and 2) miss out on the opportunity to learn from you guys.

I mean, I can learn, but I'm sure it will be more fun with you all wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pretty experienced with this stuff, and I can get a good sense of a system by reading the rules, but even for me things don't entirely click until I've played it.

Ok, so far I've only got contact info for BDA and Botor, c'mon people. Owen? Herc? Fireproof? Teague? Eddie? Don't leave me hangin'.

My first introduction to D&D was 3.5 edition. The DM had pre-generated us some level 1 characters, but forgot to bring his core rulebook along, so we couldn't even give the rules a quick read to know what was up. He did his best to explain the rules to us, handed out the characters, then threw us straight into Tomb of Horrors. In laymans terms, this is like deciding to take swimming lessons for the first time, so they sail you out into the middle of the ocean, kick you off the boat, and scream at you to tread water. We didn't get very far. Somehow I still had a fantastic time.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-04-20 03:35:05)

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I need to sort out a google account first, I'll set it up in the morning and add you!
I will probably be there closer to 6ish your time, 'cause work tomorrow is gonna be an arseache of a day.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

ShadowDuelist wrote:

I'm pretty experienced with this stuff, and I can get a good sense of a system by reading the rules, but even for me things don't entirely click until I've played it.

Ok, so far I've only got contact info for BDA and Botor, c'mon people. Owen? Herc? Fireproof? Teague? Eddie? Don't leave me hangin'.

My first introduction to D&D was 3.5 edition. The DM had pre-generated us some level 1 characters, but forgot to bring his core rulebook along, so we couldn't even give the rules a quick read to know what was up. He did his best to explain the rules to us, handed out the characters, then threw us straight into Tomb of Horrors. In laymans terms, this is like deciding to take swimming lessons for the first time, so they sail you out into the middle of the ocean, kick you off the boat, and scream at you to tread water. We didn't get very far. Somehow I still had a fantastic time.

Working on adding you. Also, I don't mind reading up on the world, so the materials are very much appreciated.

Also, SD, tried to add you on Google hangouts. Should be getting a message from Erich. smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SD, I've added you (apparently?) to google plus, so I think that should be fine?

Hm. I wish I had had the foresight to ask if there were games along these lines where you don't need to build a character first. "Just be yourself" sort of thing, to kind of one-thing-at-a-time the proceedings. First experience gameplay and see if it's up your alley, then expand on the experience by playing in character.

Oh well.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Most games do require the creation of some sort of character, because of various stats that the characters have. Without some sort of number to represent skills, there's no way to determine success or failure within a dice-based system.

That isn't to say you can't "be yourself" - there's no need to go into trying to be an Ork Rigger or something in Shadowrun, when you can just be a human with no magic or anything named Fig Newton. I played simple warriors and thieves for years in D&D before moving on to magic-using classes (bard and paladin primarily, for those wondering), and while I'm not too familiar with Shadowrun yet I'm sure there's some pretty simple ways to build a character that won't take much effort to play.

There's a joke in here some where...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, there was the Fig reference for us TFNers.  wink

Backing up what Boter said, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from creating a character who looks and acts exactly like Teague. He can even be named Teague. We'll have to do some character building in the sense that we'll need to assign numbers to what fictional Shadowrun Teague is and isn't good at, but we don't necessarily have to build the character of your character, that can just be you, if you wish.

Shadowrun is actually particularly good for this, as you don't really chose a "class" to be, you just make a person with a particular set of skills and talents, i.e. you're not making a wizard or a barbarian, with set skills and roles and trappings of what it means to be a wizard or barbarian. Instead, you might making someone who's good at talking to people, can pick a lock if he needs to, is handy with a shotgun, and happens to have a little magical talent in his back pocket just in case.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-04-20 21:46:05)

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah that sounds like Teague.

Goddamn nerds.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down