Topic: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

We talk plenty about this movie, but we've also taken the liberty of talking about every other kung fu movie ever. Now we never have to again!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I loved this flick when I saw it in the theater, but the more I see it, the less I enjoy it. It's one of those flicks that was such a huge hit when it came out that it got really overplayed and over exposed. I honestly found the Kung-Fu vs Karate conversation more entertaining than the movie tongue

You guys started talking about Jet Li / Jackie Chan and all these other martial arts stars. I'd be interested to get your takes on the three films that were made that are all based on the same story. The fight in Ip Man where he squares off against the Karate students has been done in two other films that were more loosely based on the same story. I'll link to all three of the fight scenes: (I apologize for being unable to find a hilariously dubbed version of the first one)

1) Ip Man - Donnie Yen's version of the fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g6jc_9OzhI
2) Fist of Legend - Jet Li's version of the fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpvuCbrJ_JI
3) Fist of Fury - Bruce Lee's version of the fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFXTeQWXjo

It's like a little mini history of Kung Fu flicks. By seeing three different takes on the same scene / story you can see the sort of stuff that was popular. The Lee flick has him using weapons and showing off, the Li flick has him just go in and pound on people, but without really seeming to 'hurt' anyone too much. He comes off as kinda stiff and unemotional to me. The Yen version is just so quick and brutal. He's hobbling and possibly killing people in his version. Lee is also probably causing a lot of damage with his little nunchaku (that's what the people on youtube call them, so that's what I'm callin them...), but everyone seems pretty much OK at the end. Li's version...  forget it. He doesn't really seem to be hurting anyone aside from maybe a couple of bruises. It's weird, tho, cause an earlier scene in that flick has him definitely breaking bones and fucking people up, but the fight where he's supposed to be avenging the death of his master, he lets them all off easy. Very odd.

You guys should watch US Seals 2. It's the most awesomest movie ever. I'd suggest doing a commentary, but the film's awesomeness can't really be analyzed. It simply is. The fight choreography was done by a guy who's been a stunt double for Jackie Chan. I repeat: A stunt double for Jackie "I do my own stunts" Chan. Apparently when Jackie Chan doesn't feel like throwing himself off a building onto a bus while on fire, he calls Andy Cheng. The flick was also directed by Issac Florentine, who's directed some fairly fun little action flicks (tho I've only seen a handful of them) and several Power Rangers episodes, and who apparently wrote his own IMDB bio... wait, what movie are we talking about again?

Oh yeah...  Crouching Tiger... It was pretty decent, I guess. If you're only gonna do one martial arts movie, you totally should have done Ip Man.

I just read through this post and it makes me sound like I'm some kind of cracked-out, obsessed freak who watches too many B-Movies and has no other sort of life. Sorry about that. I swear I'm not on crack.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Show notes will be coming soon; enlisting some help from Eddie for this one, so bear with us.

I'll have links for this stuff soon, but for now here's a list, care of Eddie.

List of styles:
Hung Gar
Choy Lay Fut
Fut Ga
Wing Chun
Pa Kua Chang/Ba Gua Zhang
Chin'na
Tai Chi
Hsing-i
Wu Shu

The style of Kung Fu Cinema we talk about is called Wu Xia
The school that Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao trained at was the Peking Opera House

Pan Gai Noon is the Kung Fu style that was converted into a Karate style, called Uechi-ryu

Non-kung fu styles Eddie mention:
Penjak silat
Kali
Eskrima
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Muay Thai
Judo

Kung Fu Movies we reference:
Five Deadly Venoms
Ip Man
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Fist of the White Lotus
Wheels on Meals
Drunken Master 2
Supercop
Ong Bak
Thom Young Goon

More to come

Thanks Eddie!

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2010-06-28 01:13:48)

emfayder wrote:

Show notes will be coming soon; enlisting some help from Eddie for this one, so bear with us.

Don't forget The Ice Harvest.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You mean The Ice Storm.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

You mean The Ice Storm.

I don't.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd just like to give a quick thanks for getting the file size back down. I was almost going to have to delete episodes to keep my main HD free, and we don't want that!

Oh, and the movie appears to be 'Crouching Tiger, Hideen Dragon', which I assume is the correct translation.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The correct spelling is forbideen.

Great commentary, I'm so proud of you guys, you managed to mention nearly all of the great movies (and far better) movies out there, from Hero to Tai Chi Master to the 5 Venoms.

A great Karate film is Black Belt, a Japanese film from a couple of years ago.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What do you mean there's no such thing as "judo chop!"? ...What have I been DOING for the past five years then?!

Oh, and interesting commentary. Funny to see it from someone who doesn't like kung fu or martial arts flicks. And, Teague, seriously, check out Kung Fu Hustle. It's right up your alley, or at least the closest thing to right up your alley in the kung fu genre.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's no judo chop, but there is the judy chop.

Don't go ninj'in nobody don't need ninj'in.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^ Black belt is very interesting.  I liked it a lot.

This was an interesting commentary, a lot of good information.  I did karate for the majority of my young life, so it's interesting listening to hear you guys discuss all of the different martial arts and your experiences.  My training was very focused on practicality and real world fighting skills, so I've rarely been able to impress anyone with how I look when I fight.  My master always said that we'd fought poorly if we took more than 2 hits before ending the fight.

Last edited by requiem1394 (2010-06-28 17:11:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Requiem,

I'm of a similar mind.  I studied Kung Fu and got my Black Sash at 18.  At the same time, I was doing a lot of JKD and entered in a bare knuckle Karate tournament called the Shidokan.  They have it in Chicago every year or so.  Anyway, I felt a limitation of what Kung Fu could offer me in terms of practical fighting.  I transitioned to Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and haven't much looked back since.  I love Kung Fu, and many of the principles of how to strike remain true, particularly with energy transference and the physics of striking, but the techniques were a little on the lower percentage scale of things for my liking. 

As for taking two hits before ending a fight?  Well, mileage may vary, but I don't necessarily agree with that.  Sometimes you'll take no hits, sometimes you'll take a bunch.  The number of hits seems less consequential than the effectiveness of those hits.  One strike can put you down.  Conversely, I had one guy punch me in the face I think ten times in one sparring session, but I could time it and was always at the end of his punches, so aside from a red nose, it didn't do any damage.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My master was referring to a fight in self-defense.  As in, someone attacks me (someone without training), and I should be able to end things quickly.

Sparring matches and tournaments were completely different.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

requiem1394 wrote:

My master was referring to a fight in self-defense.  As in, someone attacks me (someone without training), and I should be able to end things quickly.

Sparring matches and tournaments were completely different.

I understand what you're saying.  Again, in a street fight there are a million variables.  No two fights are the same and while it would be nice to end it quickly, even if you do everything right, there are no assurances.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fair enough.  If I couldn't win a fight, I wasn't supposed to be stubborn and put my own safety on the line.  Like you guys said in the commentary, if a guy has a gun, knife, or I don't think there is a good chance to win, I would get the hell out of there.

I take that to heart generally, though.  I've been in situations that could have become fights very quickly, but I have always managed to either talk my way out or simply get away. 

Man, I really need to get back into it.  Ever since I moved, I haven't found a dojo I liked.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

WHere do you live?  I could make some recommendations.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was glad to hear some of you are Avatar: The Last Airbender fans, as it will make that eventual commentary well informed (if you guys do Mystery Men, someone had better be familiar with the Flaming Carrot comics). I often ignore adaptations of stuff I love, and Airbender has the potential to suck so badly...
(if the movie is at all good, it will probably flop so we'll never see the other two films, so it's lose-lose)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched A:TLA episode 1 season 1, is the rest of it the same or does it change?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

beldar wrote:

I watched A:TLA episode 1 season 1, is the rest of it the same or does it change?

Depends on what you're referring to. The characters actually grow and change, there's an actual well thought out plot with a beginning, middle and end... It's not a monster of the week show, if that's what you're asking (like Ben 10 tended to be). I do think the show doesn't hit its real stride until season 2 when Toph and Azula show up, but season one sets up oh so many things that pay off later. You have to give it a few more episodes at least.

(Avatar may also have the distinction of being the only kids show where it's acknowledged that one teen couple is screwing like rabbits when the camera's not on them)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To Eddie: I live in Sacramento.

I have been watching Avatar at work (my job is boring) and am almost done with it now.  Amazing show.  Funny, touching, and with characters who develop!  On a kids' show!  I so very doubt the movie will be able to capture the same tone.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Time will be the main problem with the movie. They're taking 22 episodes and compressing it down to two hours. Yes, there's a lot of fluff to take out, but assuming we're getting most of the first two and last two episodes, that doesn't leave much room for any real "growth". Original films based on series tend to be better then compilations.
(in anime, there are a few cases where 26 episode series have been edited down into one movie, and it's best to ignore those. OTOH, the original Gundam was compressed into three 2 1/2 hour movies with a new ending and is great so it's all in how you do it)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The good thing is that, unlike a book-to-movie adaptation, even if the movie sucks, I can still watch the awesomeness that is the show.  The fights are excellently produced in the cartoon, and while I would love for them to be done justice in live-action, if they don't it really isn't that big of a deal.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love A:TLA almost despite myself, because I have my own martial arts fantasy story involving the manipulation of the elements (though I have 10 instead of 4), and including a hero who is the "last of his kind," which I came up with before AIRBENDER, but which will inevitably be compared to and probably considered a ripoff now that AIRBENDER beat me to it. Then again, most Western fantasies are variations on LOTR, so hopefully the differences will speak louder than the similarities.

I agree that the martial arts in A:TLA are well-conceived and animated. The styles are recognizable and it's clear what's going on. I especially enjoy what they do with Toph, and in the credits she specifically had her own advisor to the animators. That's a show done right -- though the finale is a bit rushed and has one hell of a deus ex machina that they might have at least hinted at before the very end...

If I trust M. Night to get anything right, it's the visuals. The guy has apparently never spoken to or observed other human beings, based on how he writes and directs his characters, but he sure as hell knows how to frame a shot. Most people don't know how to shoot action, but as far as it goes, the initial teaser is promising, interviews make it sound like he has the sense to just get out of the way and SHOW it, and ILM's work in the trailers looks incredible.

But I don't trust him to get the emotion, story, characters, or tone at all right, and I expect the dialogue to be abominable. I'm trying to go in knowing that, overall, I will be disappoint.

But it's tempered by my feeling that there kind of isn't a way to get this flick right no matter who did it. It's a story I don't think you can condense meaningfully into two hours. So at least we get one that'll look damn cool.

I'm pulling for it to succeed, even with my distaste for MNS, because KUNG FU RED needs all the martial arts hits it can get this summer. It's riding on SCOTT PILGRIM, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have to comment on the whole Catching Arrows debate smile This is the listing from Mythbustersresults.com for episode 109:

"The Mythbusters first tested the speed of an arrow and showed that an arrow maintains its speed as far as 70 feet because of its aerodynamic design. Then they brought “The Arrowcatcher” Anthony Kelly onto the show and had him perform various tests. Anthony proved that he could catch tennis balls traveling at 85 miles per hour (breaking a world record in the process). They then had him try and catch an actual arrow, and Anthony succeeded in catching an arrow. However, at Anthony’s request, the arrow had been fired below full strength and directly in front of Anthony. The Mythbusters decided to redo the test by firing arrows at full strength from multiple directions. This time, Anthony had much more trouble and could only catch the arrows when he knew which direction they were coming from. Since Anthony was unable to catch the arrows in full combat conditions, the Mythbusters considered the myth busted."

It does come back to what exactly the myth was they were testing, but I'm sure if someone pointed them towards an Asian who could do better they'd give the myth a third go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down