Topic: Independence Day

This was fun, thanks everyone for coming out and chatting lively with us, hopefully it was as entertaining as four dudes at microphones could possibly be.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Independence Day

For those unable to make it, or would like to re-live the experience, here is a copy of the chat, right click, save as, enjoy!

Don't forget for the show notes: the fat lady.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah it was good fun. Thanks for letting us participate in our small way.

As a Brit, the American jingoism is a little tiring, but it's a damn good blockbuster and I love it just because of the epic climax. How often have we seen so many fighter jets?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

IT WAS AWESOME!!! lol

It was a good time, I enjoyed it. I was getting a drink in the kitchen and I heard 'Shifty Bench?' from the computer, I didn't realize everyone could see I was in the chat room,lol. And Trey dissed the Scots! Yay! big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright I am so fukin confused...why does everyone refer to this as Independence Day 4???

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Alright I am so fukin confused...why does everyone refer to this as Independence Day 4???

How old were you in 1997?

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1996, my friend.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The mention of the Turtledove books on aliens and WW II reminded me of a rather strange anime, 1993's 7 part series from Pioneer 'Alien Defender Geo-Armor: Kishin Corps' (or Kishin Corps to its friends). A section of the Japanese army in China is fighting these aliens during WW II using mechs, and end up fighting the evil Nazis who are trying to ally with the aliens. Oh, there's evil Japanese officers trying to gain alien tech, but the balancing act of Japanese good, Axis bad is hilarious.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In 96?

I woulda been 5, thank ya very much.

You still didn't answer the question.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

In 96?

I woulda been 5, thank ya very much.

You still didn't answer the question.

Sorry, buddy, we don't allow anyone born in the 90's to post here. That's just too creepy.

But to answer your question, the promotional abbreviation of the film was ID4, playing off the July 4th date. It was extremely common and well-known at the time.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it 'Independence Day 4.'

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-07-08 04:05:39)

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I see...intresting.

And Btw you think I like having to hang around with you old farts? You all are like so totally uncool like.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Get off my lawn!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Sorry I missed it, guys. I look forward to listening later.

[Posting from the Hilton in Venice, Italy... tomorrow: Paree, France (where I hear the ladies wear no pants)]

Last edited by Zarban (2013-10-29 03:16:37)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Well Zarban? Panties? Feel free to post pics.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was misinformed. All the ladies in Paris were fully dressed.

Hey, did you know they have this giant frickin' antenna in the middle of the city? Also, they have an arch that doesn't, you know, arch over anything. Crazy town, man. On the plus side: pretty nice subway system.

Zarban wrote:

Hey, did you know they have this giant frickin' antenna in the middle of the city?

So ugly. Ugly ugly ugly.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They'd better be careful. The twin of that antenna in Tokyo keeps getting attacked by monsters and aliens.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A funny thing with this movie; It seems (in my experience) only Americans can actually "enjoy" that speech (i.e. really think it is "good"), the rest of the planet just cringe.

Not only the blatant Jingoism and the near-parodic swelling music - but Pullman simple don't posess the gravitas* to pull this off.

(* = I think it was agreed that Morgan Freeman has all of it)

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2010-07-13 17:14:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait... there are people who think that's ACTUALLY a good speech?  I love the hell out of it for being so beyond absurd and cheesy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What I love about this movie is the way Will Smith and the aliens pull off a straight-up action adventure in the middle of what is otherwise Mars Attacks. And then you've got Goldblum, straddling those two worlds as only Goldblum can.

Make no mistake: I think it's a terrible film. I just love Will Smith.

I just listened to this one again and I was reminded how much I loved it. I posted on Zarban's site on how much I liked it but I wanted to let you guys know directly. You're love for the movie changed my thoughts on it entirely. Honestly, I was a bit dismissive of the movie--focusing too much on the cheese. But I kinda dig it now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm psyched you have a new movie (or two) to enjoy, I'm just worried about our bad influence on other aspects of your life. We're bad eggs, Bashir. Bad eggs.

big_smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We're also rascals and scoundrels, villians and knaves, devils and black sheep.

Drink up me 'earties, yo ho!