Topic: 2017 in review

What a year.

2017 is, without hyperbole, probably the best year for cinema this decade (though 2013—the year we saw Her, Inside Llewyn Davis, Gravity, Short Term 12, and Upstream Color all hit theatres, is hard to beat). There have been so many truly great movies put out, and even more really good ones. Hell, I even liked two of its six superhero films, something that hasn’t happened for me since 2012. And not only have there been an abundance of great movies, so many of them have come from new, diverse perspectives.

So, what were your thoughts on the year in movies? Post your ranked lists, talk about specific releases, etc. Go nuts.

My own ranked list is below, spoilered because I saw 70 movies this year—all hail Moviepass! I have further thoughts on each of the films in my end-of-year writeup on my blog, but there's no way I was copying and pasting that much text. tongue Indie movies were clearly the winner of the year, as were diverse and first-time directors—the two best-reviewed movies of the year, Lady Bird and Get Out, were both directorial debuts made on incredibly small budgets, the former written and directed by a woman and the latter by a black man. That's not to take away from directors like Darren Aronofsky and Christopher Nolan, who put out incredible work this year, but 2017 clearly belonged to new voices, which was thrilling to witness.

The Florida Project is the best of the year by a country mile—it's absolutely monumental, a spiritual experience that I can only compare to the first time I saw The Tree of Life. But where that film is cosmic in scale, this one embraces the transcendence of the utterly mundane as it follows a cast of fucked-up characters desperately trying to eke out a living in the pastel-encrusted slums on the outskirts of Disney World. By the final scene, it’s dragged you through the full spectrum of emotions and left you both numb and exhilarated, a window into eternity finally slamming closed. Breathtaking.

SPOILER Show
The Great
1. The Florida Project
2. Lady Bird
3. mother!
4. Dunkirk
5. 20th Century Women
6. John Wick Chapter 2
7. The Big Sick
8. Free Fire
9. Get Out
10. Toni Erdmann
11. Good Time
12. In This Corner of the World
The Very Good
13. Last Flag Flying
14. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
15. Baby Driver
16. Silence
17. Paterson
18. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
19. Call Me By Your Name
20. The Disaster Artist
21. The Transfiguration
22. A Cure for Wellness
23. Logan
24. The Shape of Water
25. Icarus
26. A Ghost Story
27. The Beguiled
28. Found Footage 3D
29. Personal Shopper
30. Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond
31. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
32. Imperial Dreams
The Good
33. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
34. War for the Planet of the Apes
35. Logan Lucky
36. Coco
37. Whose Streets?
38. It
39. Raw
40. I Am Not Your Negro
The Mixed
41. Brigsby Bear
42. Blade Runner 2049
43. Molly's Game
44. Wonder Woman
45. Hidden Figures
46. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
47. Detroit
48. Atomic Blonde
49. Mudbound
50. It Comes at Night
51. Lady Macbeth
52. I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
53. Manifesto
54. Murder on the Orient Express
55. Wonderstruck
56. Song to Song
57. Nocturama
58. Okja
59. All These Sleepless Nights
The Poor
60. The Void
61. Battle of the Sexes
62. Darkest Hour
63. Suburbicon
64. The Discovery
The Godawful
65. Woodshock
66. Brawl in Cell Block 99
67. The Book of Henry
68. The Snowman
69. Beauty and the Beast
70. The Dark Tower

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2017-12-29 06:34:05)

Re: 2017 in review

I am sorry to see Darkest Hour score so low after the previous Churchill film was so poor.

Extended Edition - 140 Solo: A Star Wars Story!
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Yeah, I was expecting it to be a mediocre film carried by a great performance, but Oldman was shockingly bad. His entire performance was just the same note played at varying octaves, lisping and braying at the screen. Churchill had no sense of interior life, which partly lands on the script but also falls on Oldman. He'll probably still get the Oscar, of course, because that's how these things go.

I thought Detroit was great, if nearly impossible to watch due to how disturbing it is.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down