Topic: What are you watching on Netflix?

Have any of you guys ever seen Werner Herzog's "Aguirre, The Wrath of God?" If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What are you watching on Netflix?

I have not. I think it is fluffy.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Goddammit, Teague, I very clearly said if so.

After years of meaning to, I just watched it the first time this afternoon (thanks, Netflix). I'm … really not sure what to say about it. I can't shake the feeling that it's a hell of a thing, but I can't explain why.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can I change the name of the thread to "What are you watching on Netflix?" I've gone through three movies today, and this is a cool place to recommend instant-watches to other DIFers.

Anyway, today I watched Boys Don't Cry (holy fucking shit) and Lord of the Flies (about what I expected) for the first time. A third movie, Pizza, I watched because it had Ethan Embry in it, and I gave up on it about twenty minutes in.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, knock yourself out.

Haven't seen "Boys Don't Cry" since the first time, which wasn't long after it came out. I remember being affected by it, but I don't remember how exactly. Haven't seen "Lord of the Flies" at all, never heard of "Pizza."

I hate giving up on a movie. I'll stick with a movie through thick and thin, out of pure stubbornness most of the time. But just last weekend, I bailed on one: "Ninja Assassin." I get that there are people who dug it, but I was just bored out of my socks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do give up on movies occasionally, to the bewilderment of most folks who know that. Eddie was most recently commenting on it.

Lord of the Flies is a handsome, mostly poorly acted (hey, they're kids) little movie. Not too particularly shocking these days, and I was never a fan of the book, but it's nicely done.

Boys Don't Cry is intriguing and wonderfully acted for an hour, and then that again for the second hour with the added weight of unbelievable tension.

Hell of a movie.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I finally got around to watching "Up in the Air" a few weeks ago. Kicked myself for missing it the first time. Great, great movie.

Also … I'm pretty sure I have a man-crush on George Clooney. He's good in everything.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aw, it's not on Instant.

Alright. Time for Taxi Driver. Never seen this one, either.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You can do better than that. Gimme a minute, I'll find you something.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you're in the kind of mood that would respond positively to "Taxi Driver," watch Lars von Trier's "Antichrist" instead. Also on instant.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Taxi Driver is hard in my top 10.  Hard.

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now I'm kinda into Taxi Driver, but if I bail (not likely at this point), I'll do that next.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Am I the last movie lover who doesn't subscribe to Netflix? I used to use Peerflix, but it went under. I still have about 10 movies from them that I haven't watched (you owned them until you sent them on). I also have about 20 other DVDs and Blu-Rays that I haven't watched. And I have at least 40 movies on my DVR that I haven't watched (I have 2 external hard drives).

So I can't bring myself to subscribe to Netflix because I'm not lacking for entertainment, just time.

However, if movie channels count, then I have to say Perfect Getaway (Steve Zahn, Milla Jovovich), which I watched yesterday because I wanted to see how right I was in my guesses from seeing the trailer. About 85% right, as it turns out.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

...Taxi Driver was underwhelming.

Really underwhelming.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm actually not surprised that you didn't dig TAXI DRIVER.  Not that I know you well enough to tell you shit about yourself, so don't take it that way, but you don't strike me as the type of dude that's constantly repressing urges to fight people.

I think the movie might appeal more to those of us who feel like their drowning in a sea of fucking morons and indecent ogres, and the only life raft has Smith and Wesson written on the side of it.

- Branco

PS -- Just finished up RICHARD PRYOR ON THE SUNSET STRIP.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nah, you've known me for a long time, you get to make those comments, my friend. But yeah, that might be the piece missing that didn't make me terribly compelled in the last half of the movie.

Watching Antichrist now. Will be in love with the intro for the rest of my life, Dafoe cock and all.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The wife passed out, so I'm watching SINGLES. Kinda reminds me of a Bertocci flick...

- Branco

PS -- Is it just me, or do the majority of actors/characters in quirky flicks from the early 90's seem like giant douches?

Last edited by Branco (2010-08-02 05:05:13)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*blink*

Jesus Christ, Jeffery.

I watched that for you, man.

EDIT: Upon reading a particularly insightful IMDb theory, I think I like that movie a lot for what it is. Happy to never see it again.

LATER EDIT: Onto "Being There," Trey recommended it on Strangelove. Loving it so far.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Being There is amazing. Easily some of Sellers's best work. He tends to come off smug in a lot of roles (There's a Girl in My Soup, for example).

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Aguirre is great.  I totally dig most of Herzog's stuff.  You can see his influence in Erroll Morris early stuff like Vernon, Florida.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Very interesting observation. All I could think of when I was watching "Aguirre" was Terence Malick.

(Well. And "Apocalypse Now," obviously. I don't remember the timeline well enough to know if "Aguirre" could have influenced Coppola directly. "Aguirre" was 72, "Apocalypse" was 79, but wasn't "Apocalypse" in prepro for a couple hundred years?)

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-08-02 20:30:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Blood Simple." Cohen brothers circa 1984. Should have been called "No Country for mcDormand." Anton Chigurh replaced with M. Emmet walsh. Would "unintended consequences" qualify as a thematic tag for Cohen brother films? I feel like Fargo, A simple Plan, and No country' all cover some familiar ground.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"A Simple Plan" was Raimi, not the Coens.

I need to embrace the whole Coen Bros. thing more than I have. I haven't really seen any of their "serious" movies except "Fargo," which I remember enjoying but it didn't change my life or anything. The first twenty minutes or whatever of "Raising Arizona" is genius, and "O Brother" is one of my all-time favorite films. I don't want Fop, goddammit. I'm a Dapper Dan man.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My bad. "A Simple plan" is def Raimi. During his genre exploration known as 1995-1999. For the love of the game, the gift, simple plan. Didn't he collaborate with the Coens in '85? "Crimewave" was the very first movie I ever netflixed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

I don't want Fop, goddammit. I'm a Dapper Dan man.

Well isn't this place a geographical oddity!  Two weeks from everywhere!

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down