Topic: Random 3D movie question

For whatever reason I was thinking about Gravity today. I saw it in theaters and loved it, even though the only showing available was 3D: I generally dislike 3D, just never did much more than distract me.

Weirdly, Gravity is the ONE 3D movie I've seen where it *worked* for me, and as I'm thinking about it, I recall why: instead of the content "coming at" me, it was more like it was going the other way. The screen felt like a giant window to scenes that had exterior depth, instead of a portal with stuff attacking me.
Aside from a couple of obligatory "hand reaching toward me" scenes, it felt like the 3D plane started at the screen and went *back*.

So my question is, is that a thing? Like what makes that kinda difference? It *really* worked for me, the "screen as window" instead of "screen as portal" visual. I think I'd be more into 3D if that was the norm.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Random 3D movie question

No idea. But completely agree 100%.  I kept trying to find bigger screens to watch it on, and can't imagine experiencing it in 2D on a hotel TV or something TV.  I sat in the 5th or 6th row of an IMAX3D showing which was the best. With the screen covering my peripheral vision I felt like I needed a harness to stay in my seat.  I have a pretty good reaction to heights, and MAN, every time  they pointed the camera at Earth and it was SO far away my stomach would drop out.

Last edited by Beeg (2021-04-10 15:48:41)

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down