Re: Release, Record: 11/9

It's a movie that may have suffered from overdevelopment, or even the fact Douglas Adams was still around. He'd written four versions of that opening (radio, book, TV, computer game) and probably figured he'd get it out of the way quickly so he could move on to the "good stuff". Someone starting fresh in another decade would probably end up producing a better film.

(oh, if some of you haven't heard the new radio shows that adapt the later books, keep it that way)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd agree with that, Douglas Adams seems to have a bit of a history of re-writing his own material whenever possible, when he took it from radio to book form and then when it went to TV and then when it was made in to a movie. And I'll freely admit I'm biased towards the books, because thats what I grew up on, quite literally. But the 2005 version, assaulted the source material on so many other levels, tone being a major one in my opinion, I have yet to see anyone really capture Douglas Adams tone on film, which is a shame because I think that if we could find someone that could translate it well it would be an incredible thing to behold.

Another part of it is the story, and I know that Douglas Adams supposedly wrote the whole new ending and yadda yadda, but it's bad, it's just horrible. The movie is essentially a patchwork of all the really iconic scenes from the first 2 books sorta slammed together with a very weak throughline, all the charm removed and a new ending slapped on that makes absolutely no godsdamned sense.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

I have yet to see anyone really capture Douglas Adams tone on film, which is a shame because I think that if we could find someone that could translate it well it would be an incredible thing to behold.

That someone would also be the perfect person to adapt Terry Pratchett's work.  Honestly though, I don't think either translates well to film, so it probably won't ever happen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've actually been thinking about this a lot the last couple days, and i think that if there was ever to be an even remotely faithful translation of Hitchhikers it would need to incorporate the narrator in a major way, because when you're reading the books he essentially is an entire character to his own. And considering the level to which DA leans on the narrator/guide to fill in the backstory of various events it would be incredibly hard to do without him, and if a director were to truly embrace that concept it could only make the film stronger in my opinion.

Also...said film would need an insane VFX budget in order to do any of it justice, like the scene where Arthur and Ford first get picked up by the Heart Of Gold, the books description is these massive vistas of light and sound that can barely be comprehended by the human mind...and in the 2005 we get...a...uh, a talking couch. Um, yeah.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-04-02 23:00:07)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Also...said film would need an insane VFX budget in order to do any of it justice, like the scene where Arthur and Ford first get picked up by the Heart Of Gold, the books description is these massive vistas of light and sound that can barely be comprehended by the human mind...and in the 2005 we get...a...uh, a talking couch. Um, yeah.

I'm just reading the book now, but my first thought at that scene was "shouldn't Ford be a penguin now?"  I don't recall any mention of couches.  But yeah, if Kubrick could do the 2001 "stargate" sequence in 1968, why can't we top that in 2005?

Really? Reading for the first time? Wow... thats...wow. Such a foreign concept to me, Hitchhikers Guide has just always existed to me. Weird tongue

But yeah, I've been listening to the Douglas Adams Audio books for the past week or so (Just finished Life, the Universe and Everything today!) so it's just constantly been on my brain.

And thats kinda what I mean when I mentioned tone a while back, the book is all about the vast expanses of space and mind bending visages, all , of course, filtered through a wonderfully droll wit but still. The closest we get in the 2005 is the factory floor and even that barely even scratches the surface of what it's supposed to be.

EDIT: Perhaps it's best I'm not one of the commentators for this one, this would very very quickly plummet to Star Trek levels of hatred coming from me.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-04-03 00:45:25)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It wasn't as good as the book, but hardly anything is.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

True...but I mean really, it takes a certain kind of concerted effort to ignore and fuck up the source material as much as this movie did.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Really? Reading for the first time? Wow... thats...wow. Such a foreign concept to me, Hitchhikers Guide has just always existed to me. Weird tongue

I'll go one better, I've never read the book big_smile

I saw the BBC series when I was a kid though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

O_O

Crazy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I wish I could be around for this one to defend Hitchhiker's (to some degree), but I'm traveling, as usual.

I've only seen the movie. And as you can imagine, I didn't see what the fuss was about.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

I've actually been thinking about this a lot the last couple days, and i think that if there was ever to be an even remotely faithful translation of Hitchhikers it would need to incorporate the narrator in a major way, because when you're reading the books he essentially is an entire character to his own. And considering the level to which DA leans on the narrator/guide to fill in the backstory of various events it would be incredibly hard to do without him, and if a director were to truly embrace that concept it could only make the film stronger in my opinion.

That's what the TV series did, as well as the original radio show. Really, the fact the original story adapted so well to three very different formats is amazing

Actually, for the joke to work we still shouldn't see it. What works as a throwaway audio gag probably doesn't when presented visually.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I've only seen the movie. And as you can imagine, I didn't see what the fuss was about.

To be honest, the story may not have aged well. What was new and innovative in 1980 has been stolen from by everybody over the decades to the point where the original might not be that funny if you're coming to it late. Still, forget the books and check out the first two radio shows and the 6 part TV series. The books to me only work once you have the actors voices in your head, as the dialog was written to be HEARD.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm gonna miss this one as well. I didn't get a chance to catch up with either movie anyhow. Can't wait for the releases!

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Scott Pilgrim is going to be a fun discussion.  Do it well guys.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Waterworld?! really...?  this should be interesting...  And Scott Pilgrim sounds like fun.  I have that one on Blu Ray.  Listened to the commentary, I enjoyed the mix of technical info and humor.  I think Edgar Wright does good commentaries.  Haven't heard the ones for Hot Fuzz or Shawn...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wright does a commentary with Tarantino for Hot Fuzz as well as the one he does with Simon Pegg (which he also does on Shaun of the Dead). I have them both on Blu Ray.

I did have Scott Pilgrim but I've just sold it on Ebay.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't like Scott Pilgrim, I don't understand why, everyone involved with that movie is awesome, but I didn't find it funny most of the time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shifty Bench wrote:

Wright does a commentary with Tarantino for Hot Fuzz

That commentary is AWESOME.

re: HGTTG

When the scene in front of the bulldozer went down ("it was in a cellar"), i realized that the movie wasn't going to be the book and just accepted it as an adaptation.  That moment was so jarring from the original text that my suspension of disbelief turned into a suspension of novel belief and decided 'screw it, i'll just accept this movie for what it is'.

i'm sure that wasn't the intention of that scene, but that's what it did for me.

Basically it's the Mexican, non-union equivalent version of the story..if you will.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How is it Mexican?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's south of Scotland.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am sooooo down for Waterworld. It's my favorite movie that people love to hate. I think I like it because I was really into sailing when this movie came out and the mariners trimaran absolutely kicked butt.

Obviously I work on Sundays so I am excited to see that you guys are doing this commentary on Saturday. I work a little on Saturdays too but hopefully I can be around to watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Waterworld is a cool and all, but The Postman on the other hand...

Thumbs up Thumbs down