Topic: Watchmen

Hey guys, Teague here.

Trey and I have this thing where we feel that Superman is a stupid, retarded, annoyingly uninteresting character. Why? Because if Superman were real, he’d come to the conclusion that humans aren’t worth saving about five minutes after seeing Made of Honor.

Watchmen (Director's Cut) explores exactly that problem – if superheroes were real, they would probably be terrible people, with huge flaws, and the opposite of what ninety years of comic conventions would have us believe. The Zack Snyder adaptation of the graphic novel went through the ridges of public scrutiny like few franchise pictures have since The Phantom Menace, and in our esteemed opinion, came out clean on the other side.

This commentary is a conversation about the movie, and about comic books in general, what they can do, have done, and haven’t seemed to master yet. Joining us this week as a representative of all the knowledge in the world is Eddie Doty, and there’s also Brian, who earns no modifier.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Watchmen

Altho it’s a great movie, I don’t buy some of the basic premise. In particular, I object to the idea that destroying several cities could bring about world peace; we already had two wars to end all wars, and it absolutely did not work. Why aren't the smartest, most powerful people in the world smarter than Harry Truman? Why not destroy just the heads of government, with the threat of destroying the next ones too if they don’t disarm?

And I don’t buy your premise that a super-powerful being like Dr. Manhattan would necessarily abandon mankind. Sure, Marlon Brando did it, but most real super-rich people become philanthropists—even tho they know they can't save everyone and their work will never be done.

I think the story would have worked better as two films: one in which Rorschach and Nightowl investigate the murder of the Comedian; and another in which Ozymandias exploits the absence of Dr. Manhattan. More Ozy; less cock. Much less cock.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I agree that for being the actual protagonist of the story, Ozzy gets comparatively little screen time. Of course, that's neither unheard of in movies nor significantly different from the graphic novel.

And don't Dr. Manhattan (in the minds of humanity) and Ozzy (in reality) become philanthropists according to your definition? They (Ozzy, really) devote themselves to the selfless betterment of society. Ozzy knows he can't save everybody, but those he kills or allows to die do so specifically to save the rest. Philanthropy. Ruthless, horrible philanthropy. But philanthropy nonetheless.

And it wasn't the destruction of those cities that would bring about world peace, it was the threat of further destruction if the survivors didn't change their ways. Dr. Manhattan, in effect, become a giant unseen, unfightable "other" that humans could project all their fear and loathing onto, shifting the stain from other humans and out into the ether. That's what would keep the population of the world dedicated to the pursuit of peace - fear.

If Superman were real, he wouldn't get "bored" of saving humanity.  Perhaps you and Trey would, and that's your right, but Clark Kent would not.  And it's not because he's got superpowers and as such doesn't have to be afraid (which isn't true, by the by), it's because if Clark Kent were you and had no superpowers he'd readily dive in front of a train to save a stranger by the very nature of his personality.

I want to have this debate sometime, but I fear it's kind of pointless since you seem to be basing your opinions on Supes on misinformation.  wink

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Altho it’s a great movie, I don’t buy some of the basic premise. In particular, I object to the idea that destroying several cities could bring about world peace; we already had two wars to end all wars, and it absolutely did not work. Why aren't the smartest, most powerful people in the world smarter than Harry Truman? Why not destroy just the heads of government, with the threat of destroying the next ones too if they don’t disarm?

The book ends with Ozzy talking to Dr.Manhattan about how rosy the future now is, and Dr. M commenting that nothing is forever. Ozzy gets a "wait, what?" look as the blue guy vanishes, and I always took it to mean in fact Ozzy failed. Yes, the immediate cold war crisis was defused, but within a decade humanity would be back to its old ways. The plan IS a bad one, and that's part of the point of the story.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:

If Superman were real, he wouldn't get "bored" of saving humanity.  Perhaps you and Trey would, and that's your right, but Clark Kent would not.  And it's not because he's got superpowers and as such doesn't have to be afraid (which isn't true, by the by), it's because if Clark Kent were you and had no superpowers he'd readily dive in front of a train to save a stranger by the very nature of his personality.

I want to have this debate sometime, but I fear it's kind of pointless since you seem to be basing your opinions on Supes on misinformation.  wink

You seem to have missed the point entirely. WATCHMEN's assertion is that "the nature of [Superman's] personality" is implausible and unrealistic. If a being with his kind of abilities existed, such a being would not be a compassionate Clark Kent/Superman, but a dispassionate, detached demigod, no more likely to throw himself in front of a bus to save a human than a human will throw himself in front of a lawnmower to save an anthill.

Yes, WATCHMEN represents a completely different type of superman (small-S) than the Superman series does. That is the entire point.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I disagree.  Being human and suddenly gaining knowledge of the infinite along with incredible power would likely make you detached, yes, but it's not fair to say that that has anything to do with Superman.  Superman is a kid who grew up on a farm in Kansas and was raised by the kindest, most goodhearted people you could ever care to meet.  Manhattan and Supes are two different personalities, two different histories, and two different sets of powers.

Hell, Moore was basing Dr. Manhattan off of Captain Atom, not Superman.   It's not a fair comparison to propagate, as the reason Manhattan leaves isn't because he's powerful, it's because he's omnipotent.  There's a huge difference.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh hey. There's a thing going on in here.

Okay, so Dr. Manhattan is not Superman. Superman has been through like a million different iterations over the years — or so I've heard; I'm not a comic-book fan myself — and the pattern seems to be that he gets more and more powerful (by virtue of having lazy writers give him a new ability to get him out of the story of the week or whatever), and then some mini-reboot knocks him back down to a less omnipotent level.

Dr. Manhattan, on the other hand, is God. I think the point of the character is that a truly omnipotent character would — or at least might — be inhuman, but if the authors were trying to say that about Superman, they were beating up a straw … superman. Whatever.

I know there's a pretty good age spread among the Down in Front crowd, meaning the on-air talent and the forum peoples too. I think Teague still has some of his baby teeth, and Trey is about six minutes from Methuselah. So there are at least two natural points of view on Watchmen: the pre- and post-Cold War perspectives. For my part, I caught just the tail end of the Cold War. Cuba was over, but Afghanistan wasn't, and short-range missiles were in western Europe, and nobody knew anything. There was a very real and tangible chance of nuclear war. There were buttons, and fingers were on them. It was part of the zeitgeist at the time.

The film adaptation of Watchmen did the right thing by making it a period piece, because taking the story out of the Cold War context would have gutted it. But at the same time, I wonder how people born after Gorbachev — hell, maybe even born after the dissolution of the USSR — can really relate to the whole conceit. Does that kind of pessimism seem melodramatic? Cause it is today, for sure. But back then … back then it seemed like history was a sentence, and there was a period at the end of it. We hadn't gotten there yet, but it was coming. Even in the late 1980s we still talked of the year 2000 like it was impossibly distant, because we knew, deep down, there was a very real possibility it would never come. Or rather that it would come, but by then nobody would be keeping calendars any more.

Ultimately, I think Watchmen is a product of its time. That's not a criticism. Just an observation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

I think the point of the character is that a truly omnipotent character would — or at least might — be inhuman, but if the authors were trying to say that about Superman, they were beating up a straw … superman. Whatever.

Right. I have no problem with the film's portrayal of Dr. Manhattan. I only object to DIF's suggestion that all superbeings would act the same way.

But I remember the lunacy of the cold war too (missile gap!! OMG!! ROFWIF*). And Ozy should have been able to come up with a way better plan, especially with Dr. Manhattan actively helping him. Ozy could have brilliantly brokered disarmament talks and DM could have gone around the world dismantling nuclear weapons with impunity, then threaten big, bad, blue sanctions against any nation that jeopardized world peace.

*Rolling on floor, wrapped in flag. Not used anymore these days but very popular on the early Internet during the Reagan era.

And why would masked vigilantes fight in a war? Especially two of the least politically-motivated superheroes ever. Maybe the Comedian would do it because he was a sociopath, but that just means he should have been arrested by the others for his crimes. Besides, of all the wars superbeings could win, Vietnam wasn't one of them. Machine guns, explosions, and flame-throwers? That's exactly what US troops used!

People seem to regard Watchmen as great because it supposedly depicts what would really happen if superheroes were real, but it really depicts more like the worst case scenario of what could happen. I don't begrudge it that. I just don't support its nihilistic premise.

It's a lot like Fail Safe in that respect. Great film. Horrible conclusion. "Oops, we accidentally triggered a nuclear attack on your country. Rather than guarantee aid, reconstruction, and restitution, we'll just bomb one of our own cities, and we'll totally be square."

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-17 01:08:35)

Zarban, you have a major flaw in your premise. Dr. Manhattan never worked with Ozy, and probably never would.

"People seem to regard Watchmen as great because it supposedly depicts what would really happen if superheroes were real, but it really depicts more like the worst case scenario of what could happen."

There is a difference between a "Superhero" in the classic sense that we know it, and the superheroes of Watchmen. The superheroes of watchmen are not these shining perfect specimens of the human existence, they are real human beings that simply decided to do this. They are as fucked up as the next guy and they deal with it like any human would (As much as I love Batman, how many people would actually exile themselves for how ever many years and learn to become one with themselves, er whatever actually goes on up there. No, they get shitfaced and scream at the moon.)

I think it's not so much a case of "If superheroes were real, as it is , "what if people tried to be Superheros" (The Doc notwithstanding).

I actually just finished reading the novel (Like yesterday actually) and I thought it was probably one of the coolest things I have ever read. Namely because these are real people aspiring to be something more, and some fail, some succeed, and some just get fucked up beyond any imagining.

"Besides, of all the wars superbeings could win, Vietnam wasn't one of them. Machine guns, explosions, and flame-throwers? That's exactly what US troops used!"

You seem to be missing the part where the Doc was leveling the forest from the roots up. Thus making flamethrowers, explosions and machine guns a little more useful.

I'm sure I have more to say on this, but I can't think of it at the moment.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Zarban, you have a major flaw in your premise. Dr. Manhattan never worked with Ozy, and probably never would.

I disagree. If Ozy had gone to Manhat, told him that if they'd work together, they could bring peace to the Earth, I think he'd at least give him a meeting.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed. Especially since they already had an ongoing workig relationship in the movie. How much of a stretch would it be for Ozzy to say, "Hey, this energy project thing is going to do a lot of good and all, but how about we do something really big picture?" do you really think Doc would turn him down?

Alright so lets just assume for a min that Doc says yes. All of a sudden Jon starts working on some end of the world/save the world project. He's already lost most of his touch with humanity, already starting to wonder why he should give a damn. His last remaining link is Laurie.
Soo Doc starts working on some big secret project, Laurie finds out, she's super pissed off leaves him. John gives up, wonders why he should worry about saving this measly little planet he doesn't really give a shit about. Leaves Ozy helpless with his work half finished. Vacates earth and the story continues.

Thats the entire point of Docs character. There is nothing in the universe (Except for Laurie, really when it comes down to it. Because shes the one that manages to convince him to come back) that can keep the Doc caring about earth. So it doesn't matter how great Ozy makes it sound in the beginning, Doc will always lose interest and leave. He just stops caring, and that's it. End of story.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Again, I'm perfectly happy with the portrayal of Doc. He's a guy whose mind has been opened wide, and he has a vastly broader perspective now. But Doc's self-exile isn't really all that well motivated. Remember that Ozy actively conspired to encourage Doc to leave earth; it was required by his crazy-ass plan because he knew Doc would have stopped him. If Doc's presence were required (to succeed with a better plan), he would have conspired to keep Doc on earth.

maul2 wrote:

The superheroes of watchmen are not these shining perfect specimens of the human existence, they are real human beings that simply decided to do this. They are as fucked up as the next guy and they deal with it like any human would.

...By assassinating JFK and doing all of Nixon's dirty work? Marvel superheroes are flawed too. That wasn't new. What was new was the nihilism and the outright mental derangement. Fully half the Watchmen are totally mentally screwed up. Now, you can say if you want that anyone who puts on a mask to fight crime is probably disturbed--and that seems to be Moore's premise--but I say that people that screwed up generally get ostracized and arrested before long.

But maybe not. And maybe they'd decide to support Nixon. And maybe Nixon could get the 22nd amendment repealed and win reelection multiple times if he'd won the Vietnam War and he his scandals had been competently covered up. But that's very bleak. You don't have to be a "shining perfect specimen of the human existence" to not kill JFK and prop up a Nixonian conspiratocracy.

EDIT: Re: leveling the forest. We had a superhero for that. His name was Agent Orange.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-17 23:34:42)

Every single thing you just mentioned was done by one of the Watchmen, the comedian. Obviously yes, he was deranged a little more than the others and it shows, and thats why he's the way he is.

But I'm talking about all the others, Silk Spectre, Nite Owl,  etc. etc. They are basically just regular people (Granted Nite Owl is basically a billionaire but he doesn't play it up like one Bruce Wayne. He's just a normal guy with a shit ton of cash and a desire to do something more. Same goes for pretty much all of them.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

But Doc was fighting in Vietnam too. And Nightowl was helping suppress the anti-government rioting. Maybe I read into that too much, but it looked to me like most of the group had been co-opted by the government. And you know Rorschach was up to some crazy shit when no one was looking. He may not have been co-opted but he was certainly an arch-conservative, self-righteous sociopath. Mothman went crazy and got hauled away. Silk Spectre 1 had serious emotional issues; and I think something was up with Hooded Justice that I didn't fully catch.

It was really only Silk Spectre 2 and Nightowl 2 (and I guess Nightowl 1) who were reasonably mentally balanced—and remember how they casually slaughtered several gang members? (Maybe Silhouette was mentally balanced too, but I got a real Madonna vibe from her.)

I don't mean to piss on your love of the film. But I just don't think it's quite the story you want it to be. It's basically a noir mystery. It's about very damaged people doing bad things and trying to get out from under them and mostly not succeeding. That's great and kind of cool, but man is it bleak.

They are all screwed up. Dan admits as much in the course of the story. He and Silk Spectre 2 are the most well adjusted simply because they can admit to themselves that they are screwed up.

And it is very bleak. But that's a check in the 'awesome' column in my book.

Last edited by Brian (2010-05-17 23:37:53)

"I don't mean to piss on your love of the film. But I just don't think it's quite the story you want it to be. It's basically a noir mystery. It's about very damaged people doing bad things and trying to get out from under them and mostly not succeeding. That's great and kind of cool, but man is it bleak."

Dude, this is WHY I love it.

You say it's bleak that that somehow makes it not worth watching or invalid. That what I am having a hard time understanding. That's the point of the series/movie. It's the story of these normal people (Granted some of them arn't probably the most balanced, but then you get the entire range of the spectrum too) who either decided to become superheroes or get forced into it. And it's the story of them in a cold war environment (And you expect a happy go lucky story perhaps?) dealing with trying to be these people and dealing with the world they live in.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BrianFinifter wrote:

I agree that for being the actual protagonist of the story, Ozzy gets comparatively little screen time. Of course, that's neither unheard of in movies nor significantly different from the graphic novel.

But it's also not good story-telling. (You mean antagonist, by the way.)

BrianFinifter wrote:

And don't Dr. Manhattan (in the minds of humanity) and Ozzy (in reality) become philanthropists according to your definition? ... Ruthless, horrible philanthropy.

Now you're just goofing. Philanthropy is self-sacrifice, not the sacrifice of millions of innocent people, none of whom had their finger on the button. Kill Nixon and Brezhnev. Freeze Kissinger's balls off. Punish the guilty! Let's take it down to a human level: you and Teague are threatening to kill each other and each other's entire families. So I kill your grandmas.

BrianFinifter wrote:

And it wasn't the destruction of those cities that would bring about world peace, it was the threat of further destruction....

But there was no actual threat from Dr. Manhattan, right? They just figured out that it was his energy signature or something. People will quickly make up crazy reasons of their own why he destroyed those cities. ("Dr. Manhattan was actually punishing us for tolerating homosexuals!")

Earth scientists will search for Doc so generals can try to destroy him. So he'll have to keep confronting weapons they send. Otherwise they'll decide he's dead or left the galaxy forever. Regardless, they will make up totally crazy ideas about what Doc might do in the future. ("I'm certain Dr. Manhattan would agree that your aggressive posturing must be answered with force. He is a strong proponent of pre-emptive strikes.")

Of course, the film doesn't really hang on whether or not Ozy's plan works; it hangs on whether or not the Watchmen decide that what's done is done and it's smarter to let the scenario play itself out. I'm just saying that I don't believe the plan actually would work, and I think it's silly that that's the best plan Ozy could come up with.

maul2 wrote:

You say it's bleak that that somehow makes it not worth watching or invalid.

No, no. It's a great movie, and I love noir. It's not bad that it's bleak, but it's just not a story about regular people trying to make the world a better place. It's about screwed up people who aren't really equipped to cope in society so they try to change society, and it ends horribly because they're screwed up people.

My only real problem with the film is that I do not believe that the smartest man in the world would come up with the plan he comes up with. Well, that and the idea that masked vigilantes would support Nixon.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-18 03:49:01)

He's clearly gay, and gay folks are completely unreasonable.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

But it's also not good story-telling. (You mean antagonist, by the way.)

Not necessarily, it's just not straightforward storytelling. Which is much harder to do well, but is not automatically bad storytelling.

And I meant protagonist. I suppose you could consider this a pointless semantic argument, but the definition of the protagonist is the prime mover of the events of the story. Since it's Ozzy's plan and he's the one causing these events, he's more of the protagonist, while Night Owl and Rorschach (and the others) are his antagonists.

Zarban wrote:

Now you're just goofing.

Kind of. I think if you asked Ozzy, he would say he was making a genuine self sacrifice. Taking on the heavy burden of being responsible for so much evil in an effort to accomplish even more good.

Zarban wrote:

But there was no actual threat from Dr. Manhattan, right? They just figured out that it was his energy signature or something. People will quickly make up crazy reasons of their own why he destroyed those cities. ("Dr. Manhattan was actually punishing us for tolerating homosexuals!")

Earth scientists will search for Doc so generals can try to destroy him. So he'll have to keep confronting weapons they send. Otherwise they'll decide he's dead or left the galaxy forever. Regardless, they will make up totally crazy ideas about what Doc might do in the future. ("I'm certain Dr. Manhattan would agree that your aggressive posturing must be answered with force. He is a strong proponent of pre-emptive strikes.")

Of course, the film doesn't really hang on whether or not Ozy's plan works; it hangs on whether or not the Watchmen decide that what's done is done and it's smarter to let the scenario play itself out. I'm just saying that I don't believe the plan actually would work, and I think it's silly that that's the best plan Ozy could come up with.

Well, presumably Ozzy had some way of propagating his own version of events, namely that Doc was "warning" humanity and that we better shape up. Given Ozzy's mastery of the media, it's hardly a stretch to think he could influence public opinion that way.

Zarban wrote:

Let's take it down to a human level: you and Teague are threatening to kill each other and each other's entire families. So I kill your grandmas.

At which point I would bet Brian and Teague would  forget their argument and come for you.   Which is exactly the idea behind Ozy's plan, to give the whole world a common enemy to unite against.

Ozy knew - he touches on this in the movie in his monologing - that world leaders weren't the real  problem, it was human nature.   Humans need an enemy, so Ozy gave them one.

Admittedly this idea was a little clearer in the book's unused ending, where Ozy cooked up a bogus alien threat to mankind.  But I thought the movie's replacement of aliens with Dr. Manhattan as the supposed enemy of all humanity worked almost as well.

Bleak, sure - but also borne out time and again by real history - America and the Soviets joining forces to fight the Nazis, the shared anger and terror - and thus the unification - of nearly all Americans after Pearl Harbor and 9/11, etc.

Trey wrote:

of nearly all Americans after Pearl Harbor

Yeah, except for the Japanese (and German and Italian)-American citizens we threw into work camps because we were mad at them for taking our jobs.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The gays should have been in the work camps!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down