Topic: Remaking a 36 year old classic... new Yamato/Star Blazers

Yamato Trailer 1

Yamato Trailer 2

Yes, finally, they've gone and made a live action version of the first real "modern" sci-fi anime Space Battleship Yamato, known here as Star Blazers. Given how just about everything else over there has been remade to death, Yamato has surprisingly stayed dead. It originally lasted 3 tv series and a half dozen movies before running out of steam (and audience) in 1983. In the mid 90's they tried to bring it back with a direct to video sequel Yamato 2520, but between it sucking and disputes over who owned the rights it only lasted 4 episodes.

Another attempt involved Disney in the late 90's, as they bought the rights to do a live action Star Blazers film. The producers has the bright idea to use an American ship, which would have been fine, but they wanted to use... the Arizona. Oh, that would have been so wrong... luckily, it never got out of pre-production. (personally I like the idea of turning classic US ships into space ships, as a fleet involving the Monitor, Old Ironsides, Battleship Missouri and maybe the carrier Yorktown would just be fun)

Which brings us to this. The first trailer, if I linked to the right one, is very Michael Bay right down to the Aerosmith song. The second is set to the original music from the show. We'll see where the actual film ends up on that spectrum...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Remaking a 36 year old classic... new Yamato/Star Blazers

I'm waiting for this with bells on....If it doesn't get a north America release their stupid.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Personally I'm hoping it brings on a wave of animated Yamato releases in the US. They never have given us the uncut TV shows, and even one of the subtitled films was edited a bit. As for the film... it's always possible the Japanese will ask too much money for it to get into US theaters. With luck we'll get a video release.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One of the original creators of SBY fell off a boat named Yamato a couple of weeks ago and died. A sad way to go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched one of the newer anime of this a few weeks ago, Resurrection or Revival? It was pretty good. I hadn't seen such epic space battles since Babylon 5.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down