Topic: Black List 2010

Anyone got a link yet?  Dorkman, I'm looking in your direction.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Black List 2010

Here's the list itself from Cinematical. As for download links, I'll be of no use to you.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/13/bl … s/?_r=true

Interesting pattern: Lots of fictionalized accounts of actual events. Last year's list included one of these that went on to be very successful: The Social Network.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They tend to follow trends every year.  This year definitely has more geo-political intrigue type films.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gonna be a little harder to come by this time around...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ … list-59288

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, shit.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't understand Fox's motiviation for suing script sites. They can't imagine they'll sell an extra 10,000 copies of a movie to screenwriters, directors, and producers who really just wanted to read the script. It feels like make-work for lawyers who are telling their client, "That's your IP out there WILD on the Internet! It's out of CONTROL!"

Seems like they'd have a better return-on-investment case for suing Bollywood film makers.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Seems to me the blacklist USED to be a list of scripts that a lot of people liked but that hadn't been optioned.   This list is unusual because most of them have been optioned, which is a very different scenario.   

For example, the whole plot of a movie could be spoiled before it's even made.   "Y'know that Bruce Willis movie coming out next year?  Turns out he's dead the whole time!"   Or worse, although a script will almost certainly be on the blacklist because it's good, the fickle internet might still give it a negative buzz.   

If I was Fox I'd be concerned about that sorta stuff, too.   They did pay for those scripts,  they own them and they have the right to keep them to themselves if that's what they wanna do.

Oh right, right, right. Anything that's been optioned and not produced needs to come down. But the article specifically says they're targeting all scripts they own, not just unproduced ones.

Fox has been stupid about stuff like this for a long time, tho. I got a cease and desist letter in 1996 because I had a website with, among other things, one page each that had Simpsons and X-Files wallpaper and icons that I created. Paramount, on the other hand was apparently unconcerned about my Indiana Jones page. And likewise the BBC about my Blackadder page—with fan script.

Speaking of which, I've got to get back to my latest Asylum spec work—5 Faces of Death: Sharktahedron!

Last edited by Zarban (2010-12-16 06:43:08)

Zarban wrote:

Oh right, right, right. Anything that's been optioned and not produced needs to come down. But the article specifically says they're targeting all scripts they own, not just unproduced ones.

Which I call being consistent. If you own it, it's up to you to control access to it. Unless produced scripts are public domain, I don't see the real problem (apart from us wanting to read them)

Fox has been stupid about stuff like this for a long time, tho. I got a cease and desist letter in 1996 because I had a website with, among other things, one page each that had Simpsons and X-Files wallpaper and icons that I created. Paramount, on the other hand was apparently unconcerned about my Indiana Jones page.

It goes in cycles. Paramount cast a blind eye on lots of stuff in the fan community as it kept interest up in "cult" shows like Trek. But they have come down on some stuff now and then, if they think you're making money or if they want to make money selling what you're now doing for free. A wave of cease and desist letters around the publishing industry scared the publisher of the unauthorized Trek Nitpickers Guides to pull the plug after 4 volumes, even though they hadn't been targeted yet. That was a sad day...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Zarban wrote:

Which I call being consistent.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. *

I think that scripts that have been made into movies have almost no market value. The studio is never going to make any money selling those words in that form. However, allowing them to be freely available is advantageous for the studio because it helps the writers, directors, and producers who will create their next blockbuster. The last thing Hollywood needs is to hide the sacred secret of how a good screenplay is structured.

Imagine if Tim Burton read scripts of produced movies. He might learn to tell a winner from a dud and save you from paying for another Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. smile

Not to mention it saves you from paying lawyers to sue some poor schmuck of a writer/webmaster who hasn't got a nickel to his name....

/back to the grindstone to try to knock out The 101-Foot Geisha before Christmas