Re: Space Nerds

China led the west AD500-AD1000. They came up with gunpowder, the compass, advanced sailing technology, (woodblock) printing, etc. But since about AD1500, it's all been the west. China basically contributed ZILCH to the Enlightenment and Scientific Revolution between AD1600 and the 20th century. So, yes, it's all there for them. They have the wealth, the population, the authoritarian 'we can make things happen fast' political system, and a shiny new dynamic economy.

But there's another issue about manned v unmanned (have we had that debate on these Space Nerd forums?). Personally I don't see the case for manned, but if China wanted to drop many Curiosity 2.0 rovers all over the solar system, that would be just as good imo.

Last edited by avatar (2012-08-01 22:43:17)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Since manned spaceflight is a lot harder, rising to the challenges it sets and finding solutions arguably (or is that ideally?) leads to greater advances. It's also a lot more inspiring and exciting, meaning that it's more attractive to young scientists, engineers etc. to get into it.

You can only do so much with robots, and their limitations become more apparent the further away they are. So on Mars, where signals have about a 40-minute round trip, new instructions to the robot take up valuable time. Granted, you can just plan for longer missions but imagine a human just making that decision to go and pick up that specific rock right there spontaneously. The human, as trained geologist, can also recogise  which rocks are useful and more importantly be able to place them in their geological context. The best example is the moon Genesis Rock, would any robot have found that? Probably not.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sorry to jump in, but to me you're arguing the case for better, autonomous robots.

Which I am in favour of.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1380406/

This has not changed, not today and not tomorrow.

Humans looking at a situation in person will ALWAYS be better than a robot. The amount of work that a robot with a human team back on earth can do in an hour compared to a single human with the training and skills. No question.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-01 22:54:41)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Humans looking at a situation in person will ALWAYS be better than a robot.

Give it a few more decades...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's the fable of the tortoise and hare.

Sure, once you're on the surface, man craps all over robot.

But given the MUCH longer development time for manned over robots, Team Robot has already a 20 year head start.

And if each team had the same amount of money, then Team Robot can deploy 20,30,50 (some say 100) robots for every manned mission.

Name any budget - big or small. You'll get more science data from robots, not man. Manned missions waste too much budget on life support systems, redundancy, PR, and having to return to Earth. And the gap between capabilities is hopefully closing, despite the glacial pace of AI research. Robots can work 24/7 in extreme radiation environments with detectors that operate outside normal senses.

Yes, manned missions have political benefits. Sure, they're inspirational. And you can't put a value on that. But if you care purely about the science, then robot beats man when factoring in project time, safety and budget.

How much for one manned mission to Mars? $500B? Probably more. After all, look how much the ISS cost. For the SAME money, you have 10 x Curiosity 2.0 rovers on Mars PLUS major Cassini-class orbiters around ALL the planets and major moons, the Terrestrial Planet Finder, balloons in Titan's atmosphere & Venus' atmosphere, floating probes on Titan's lakes, ice-core driller on Europa and Enceladus, etc.

What'll it be? You can have one Chinese man plant a flag on Mars or you can flood the solar system with probes?

Obviously in an ideal world, it'd be nice to have both manned & unmanned, but given finite budgetary constraints, I'll take robots every time as you can have more of them deployed in more difficult, exotic and interesting areas.

Anyway, that's my little rant. And I'm a big AI skeptic.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1380406/

This has not changed, not today and not tomorrow.

Humans looking at a situation in person will ALWAYS be better than a robot. The amount of work that a robot with a human team back on earth can do in an hour compared to a single human with the training and skills. No question.

There's no reason why geologists can't use military drone technology from Earth to remote pilot rovers on the Lunar surface. The light-relay time is only 3 seconds. Stick some HD 3D cameras on the rover, and some VR goggles on the geologist back at Caltech, and it's the next best thing to being there. He can pick up rocks, examine them closely, focus instruments on them, pile them in a return-capsule, etc. I can't see the need to put a geologist on the Lunar surface - with his bulky gear, thick gloves, and limited surface time. The rovers (say, 50 of them for the same money) can work around the clock by a whole team of geologists.

I'm amazed that in 40 years no one has soft-landed on the Moon, manned or robot. NASA's effort got redirected into the 'space truck'n' business with the Shuttle. What a 30 year distraction that was.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All I want, really, out of a future space program, is for someone to come up with a way to get to Europa's ocean. Forget space stations, forget Mars landings, forget everything else. Let's see if there's fish down there.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

But each robot can only be programmed to perform specific, pre-determined functions. What if you want it to do something else? Tough luck. If you want to run an impromptu experiment on the Martian surface, you'll have to spend another decade of costs (as well as go through the significant risks) and send a follow-up mission. There's little flexibility and every action requires foresight years in advance. Why do you think we have hundreds of satellites in orbit now? Don't misunderstand me, I think Curiosity is a great machine, but a team of humans on Mars will accomplish more in the talked about 1-2 year mission than several dozen MSL robots would do in several decades. You have to launch multiple robotic missions to accomplish the same thing, so you're not really saving any money in the long run. Whilst at the same time, in neglecting manned exploration, you're further crippling growth in that aspect of space travel.

And again, look at the experience with our Moon. We learned more and did more science on the moon in those 8 missions (I'm not including Apollo 13 for obvious reasons) than anything done in decades of robotic exploration. Just ignore for the moment the PR accomplishment of putting Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon and planting a flag, and consider that a further 10 men actually worked on the moon. Heck, humans have done more experiments in earth orbit that any robot could hope to accomplish.

Going to Mars isn't going to be about planting a flag, it will be about actually doing a wide range of activities that we just can't do with robots.

Further, robotics aren't anywhere near where they need to be to really replace humans in doing science and exploring. "Better autonomous robots" aren't here now and the expectation of Ash/Bishop/David within the next 2 decades is unlikely - and essentially requires the same development costs as that of maturing manned spaceflight (which we'll have to do eventually anyway).

As I wrote before, the complexities of manned spaceflight require advanced solutions, which can only help in the long run. If you have no time limit to get your craft to Mars, you'll never develop a faster way of getting there.

Edited to add - more than anything, the attitude that we should focus efforts on robotic exploration, on the basis that it is cheaper and easier, is in my view the entirely wrong approach.

Last edited by redxavier (2012-08-01 23:57:02)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

But each robot can only be programmed to perform specific, pre-determined functions. What if you want it to do something else? Tough luck.

Humans can only carry a limited amount of equipment with them. Less, actually because of all the weight they themselves take up, together with their bulky life support systems. So the same restrictions apply. All the best mass spectrometers and electron microscopes are going to be on Earth, so all Mars astronauts are actually doing is selecting the best samples. In principle a robot can do that too - controlled by humans on Earth examining the candidates. Sure, it's a slower process, but you do visit more interesting, more difficult to get to sites by sending robots. The best sample collections sites might be too difficult to land humans onto.

redxavier wrote:

I think Curiosity is a great machine, but a team of humans on Mars will accomplish more in the talked about 1-2 year mission than several dozen MSL robots would do in several decades.

If humans are so great, why aren't we sending humans to Mars? 150lb sacks of water that need oxygen, whose bones disintegrate with protracted zero-g, vulnerable to cosmic radiation, the need to return to Earth, etc. Even if there was a manned program greenlit tomorrow, it'd be 2030 before we actually landed at a cost of many hundreds of billions. Curiosity took 6-odd years and a couple of billion. With mass production, that could be 1-2 years at <$1B.

redxavier wrote:

Whilst at the same time, in neglecting manned exploration, you're further crippling growth in that aspect of space travel.

What is it that humans are actually supposed to do in space? Surely more than collect rocks? Colonise? Not in our great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime. Not with the technology we have at the moment.

If your argument is that sending humans will develop new technologies, then so will sending probes to Titan, Venus, Enceladus, Europa, etc. That'll also entail new propulsion systems, etc.

redxavier wrote:

And again, look at the experience with our Moon. We learned more and did more science on the moon in those 8 missions (I'm not including Apollo 13 for obvious reasons) than anything done in decades of robotic exploration.

Apollo took up a MASSIVE amount of USA GDP. Had the same resources been put into remote-controlled rovers, you could have got more samples for your buck. Much more.

redxavier wrote:

Just ignore for the moment the PR accomplishment of putting Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon and planting a flag, and consider that a further 10 men actually worked on the moon. Heck, humans have done more experiments in earth orbit that any robot could hope to accomplish.

That's not true. Most of our knowledge of the solar system has come from robots. Hubble is a robot. Viking, Voyager, Cassini, Galileo, Magellan, MER, and dozens more are all robots, all returning quality information. How long could a human last in Jupiter's radiation belt? Or on the surface of Venus? Even on the Moon they were restricted in how far they could venture from the lander and how long they could be on the surface. Bulky suits, limited 02, multiple visors, low gravity, and thick gloves restrict humans significantly.

Apollo astronauts were also lucky not to get hit by any CME from the Sun. Once we leave Earth's van Allen belts, we are sitting ducks to all the dangerous shit out there: high energy protons, gamma rays, micrometeorites, etc.

redxavier wrote:

Going to Mars isn't going to be about planting a flag, it will be about actually doing a wide range of activities that we just can't do with robots.

Okay, tell us some practical realistic things humans can do on the surface of Mars that robots can't in principle also do? Remember, Apollo astronauts deployed experiments on the surface and collected rocks - they didn't actually perform any experiments themselves. The labs back on Earth are where the real testing actually takes place.

redxavier wrote:

Further, robotics aren't anywhere near where they need to be to really replace humans in doing science and exploring.

Agreed. I don't think we'll be getting autonomous robots anytime soon. Better resolution cameras, more instruments, long-life power supply, more communications bandwidth, etc. My arguments are not based on impending AI, but robots as remote-controlled sensor platforms with humans making all the intellectual decisions back in the office at JPL.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What is it that humans are actually supposed to do in space? Surely more than collect rocks? Colonise? Not in our great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime. Not with the technology we have at the moment.

One can make a good argument that most robotic exploration is just wasted money if colonization isn't the goal. Really, do we NEED more information on Mars? If we're not going there, water doesn't matter, and there are better places to look for signs of life.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

One can make a good argument that most robotic exploration is just wasted money if colonization isn't the goal. Really, do we NEED more information on Mars? If we're not going there, water doesn't matter, and there are better places to look for signs of life.

For the best chance at life detection we need the TPF mission to examine exoplanet atmospheres (NASA cancelled it due to lack of funds from Congress), an ice-drilling rig on Europa, a few rovers & drilling platforms on Mars, ice drilling on Enceladus and a return to Titan can't hurt either.

It's unclear whether faint spectral signatures from exoplanet atmospheres can definitely pinpoint the presence of life. We can see trace amounts of methane in Mars, but there could be an inorganic cause. And that's next door. So seeing a few photons that may be methane or oxygen around another star will be tantilizing at best.

As for Europa, NASA would probably need to first send an orbiter. Then a lander. Then a driller. And each one would take 10-20 years. It's so frustratingly slow. I can remember when MER landed on Mars in 2004, JPL were saying that they were only geologist rovers but the next generation of rovers would look for life. But Phoenix didn't look for life. And Curiosity is not looking for life either...

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/index.cfm?id=1095

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But, Curiosity is landing this Sunday, and Mars will be visible, at least in the Western hemisphere big_smile

Also, the Persied meteor shower will be starting on August 11.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

But, Curiosity is landing this Sunday, and Mars will be visible, at least in the Western hemisphere big_smile

Also, the Persied meteor shower will be starting on August 11.

What's the optimism / pessimism here on the forums on it landing safely?

Odds on a perfect flawless landing? Like MER Opportunity.
Odds on something going wrong with the sky crane? Back-shell?
Cables don't detach cleanly? Sky crane lands on top of the rover. One descent rocket malfunctions?
Rover's wheels don't deploy and MSL lands on its belly? Lands on rock? Over-turned?
Lands but software fault (like MER Spirit's landing) causes communications black-out?
Total black-out from entry onwards - no one knows what happened (like Beagle II in 2003)
Lands but can't move? MSL is now a stationery weather platform. Like Phoenix?

At least MSL is big enough that if something did go wrong, MRO should be able to image it.

But I'm hoping it lands perfectly and starts climbing that mountain. Maybe NASA will then greenlight several more v2.0 rovers using the same landing system, for half the price.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If your argument is that sending humans will develop new technologies, then so will sending probes to Titan, Venus, Enceladus, Europa, etc. That'll also entail new propulsion systems, etc.

Not to the same extent. We can already get to these places with robots, and have done several times. New propulsion systems have been developed but only for interplanetary travel, and done on the basis of cheapness rather than speed for these unmanned craft only. Need drives technology, and currently there isn't a real need to develop new technologies so that Curiosity 2.0 can get to Mars faster. Which is precisely what you need in order to open space up. All the arguments in favour of robots seem to follow the same guiding principle that it's easier. When all you do is pick projects because they are easier, you don't grow and mature the technologies.

Worse, you lose the ability to go anywhere beyond LEO and have a stagnate NASA. Precisely what the documentary Fight for Space and Tyson have been arguing against recently. We wouldn't be having this discussion now if a Mars landing had been put on the agenda following Apollo. We'd have overcome all the difficulties you mention when it comes to sending humans, because we'd have much more experience doing so.

One of those difficulties is return. Robots have their place, but so far very few missions have returned with samples, and certainly none from afar, mainly because you don't need to bring back a live astronaut and it's cheaper and easier not to. As a result, we have zero practical experience with returning craft from Mars. We have no rocks and no samples.

That's not true. Most of our knowledge of the solar system has come from robots.

I said the Moon, not the solar system. And that's sort of my point, we've not physically been around the solar system, of course all our knowledge comes from them! Using the moon as an example, consider what we can learn about them these other wondrous places with boots on the ground. Further, the experience with Hubble is one of the best to support the sending of folks on missions. Machines break down. If the little rovers Spirit and Opportunity just had someone to give them a little dusting and maintenance, they'd be off again.

What practical realistic things would humans be doing on Mars? On-site research that is able to respond to the unknown (just have a look over the debate over the Viking mission results), and much more efficient and broader exploration of the surface for rocks, samples, and water than is possible for robots. Further, they'd be able to repair their robotic helpers and engineers can also potentially build new equipment and experiments on-site.

My arguments are not based on impending AI, but robots as remote-controlled sensor platforms with humans making all the intellectual decisions back in the office at JPL.

Whilst that may be practical with lunar missions, it can't be done with Mars let alone Jovian and Saturnian missions. The speed of light isn't something that can be overcome in this case. And also, you just seem to be advocating that the robots act as direct proxies for humans. Why not just send the scientist?

Cheaper and easier yes. But where does that get you in the long run? Still stuck on Earth facing all the same challenges without any of the knowledge and experience to solve them.

Furthermore, the more complicated these machines become the more fragile and prone to failure they will be and the more they'll require the same sort of protection in transit and landing as humans.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Of course, I'd love to send both robots and humans everywhere. Once you're on the ground, humans can collect an interesting rock in 10 minutes that would take a robot 3 days. But the development times and opportunity costs are so prohibitive that you sacrifice so much science when you send a fragile human in a big capsule & cumbersome suit.

My argument for robots over manned are predicated on two assumptions: (1) all we care about is science data, (2) the current level of technology. Given these two assumptions, we will get more science data from robots than from humans on ANY given budget.

If it's a small budget, then you can't even send humans. If it's a massive $Trillion budget, then you can flood the solar system with probes around every planet/moon, atmosphere, lake, major asteroid, etc. Three astronauts on ONE safe location on Mars collecting rocks OR 100 probes throughout the solar system investigating all sorts of environments? Surely if you care about the science and your recognize the opportunity cost i.e. what you COULD HAVE sent for the same cost as a manned mission, there is no contest.

If the objective is something OTHER than science i.e. national prestige, inspiration, leaving Earth due to ecological catastrophe, etc, then sure, I agree.

And if there's a radical breakthrough in technology e.g.. artificial gravity, some exotic anti-matter propulsion system that enables us to reach Mars in days not months, or perfect shielding, etc, then sure I also agree, that could swing the equation in humans' favour.

But to paraphrase Mark Zuckerberg in Social Network, "...you really don't need a forensics team to get to the bottom of this. If humans were better than robots, we'd be sending humans"

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I see what you're saying, but the strength of the argument seems too focused on the economics of things. Yes, for the same price as a manned Mars mission you may possibly get 100 probes out there. But you'll just have 100 probes out there, each with their limited capabilities examining their limited spectrum of purpose. You'll get  a little bit of scientific data from each and learn more about the solar system sure, but you won't significantly advance the knowledge of any of their locations like you would with a long-term manned mission to Mars (excluding those places of which we know very little at the moment).

The benefits of larger more costly projects shouldn't always be equated with those that can be gained from a multitude of smaller projects. The LHC is a good terrestrial example of this: greater rewards require greater investments. Twenty quid can get you a great steak or a lot of jelly beans...

But then that's the ideal. I'm aware that NASA and other space agencies around the world are underfunded as it is, so all they can do is take little steps and stay within the comfort zone of robots and current technology.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

NASA re-Tweeted this...
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/628584934.jpg?key=7622128&amp;Expires=1343933693&amp;Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&amp;Signature=hPLxnFUdZuz70qfMyglIdOJrEAYjp-K9meVMdYjHUX44Y269geYGWv-LxsarsY~LI67VsrosvZohKLCwQ~vM8QKGoJnHHZ96Tque1x3Si3Anoa5fwMtiHHT1Fb-XrFACbgaXrwwCCU1sAy7wuijmQvJjE~FojCWedqVOe3N-3VQ_

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Accessdenied

ZangrethorDigital.ca

An AMA with a 97to that worked all the apollo missions and a bunch of other stuff. Thought you guys would like.

(I haven't had a chance to actually read through any of it, so if it sucks, sorry smile )

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/x … issions_1/

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-05 01:20:15)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

MSL has only 1.7% chance of failure...    yikes
http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/08/do … iking.html

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Which basically means that about 3.5 hours from now they start coverage and two hours later everyone will either be cheering or frantically trying to figure out what went wrong.

Not exactly. Because of the precision timing necessary of relaying the confirmation signal through Mars Odyssey  and then back to earth. It's possible for the landing to be off by a couple seconds and the two will miss each other. They've said, that if after 24 hours after landing they still haven't received the signal, that's when they start thinking about failure scenarios, until then it's just a waiting game for the satellite to come back around to pick up the signal.

KurtJMac has actually done a pretty in depth walkthrough of the whole landing procedure and what we can expect for the landing.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-05 23:33:23)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

NASA SELECTS SPACEX TO RETURN AMERICANS TO SPACE
http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20120803

"SpaceX expects to undertake its first manned flight by 2015 – a timetable that capitalizes on the proven success of the company's Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft combination. "

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Woohoo! Cowabunga etc.

They landed ok (as most folks in the US timezone are probably already aware!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19144464

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/curiosity.png

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down