Topic: Return of the Jedi

Wee.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Return of the Jedi

I actually have vague memories of going to see Jedi in the theaters.  I even remember the change from Revenge to Return; I might have even had a t-shirt or something that had Revenge printed on it.  My most distinct memory though is of the toys.  Growing up, Christmas and birthdays always had a few new action figures to add to my collection, so it was easy for folks that didn't know what to get me.  In those days you could save the cardboard backings of the packages and send away for certain figures; I remember getting the Emperor by saving up backings and sending away for it.  Anyway, with the release of the new movies, rather than having different backings for different films, the entire line would be updated to reflect whichever film was just released.  It was possible, then, to get an action figure of a character with a RotJ backing, who had not appeared in RotJ.  I don't recall which character it was, but I distinctly remember a moment of being a little prick, when I complained to whoever had given me this figure for my birthday, that I already had this character, and that he wasn't even in this movie.

Actually I remember another such moment of childhood indignation, when the old lady who lived next door (Mrs. Han if memory serves) complimented me on my airplane, to which I sneered at her and responded that "it's an X-wing!"

(Completely unrelated to Star Wars:) Then there was the time, just before girls started getting interesting, that the girl I was interested in came to my birthday party.  The party was already in full swing and the doorbell rings.  I run to the door and there she is standing there, smiling, holding a big box.  All I remember is grabbing the box, running into the living room with it and tearing the paper off.  I got about halfway through when I was hauled to my feet and dragged to the door to apologize to this poor girl who was, naturally, in tears.  I'm pretty sure she went home, and never spoke to me again.  Can't say I blame her.  Nicole, if you're reading this, I am so sorry.

So yeah, I was pretty much a dick as a kid.

Star Wars I saw late in its run at the drive-in with my sister and parents, double featured with Shatner's "Kingdom of the Spiders" which scared me so much we left half way through. Empire I saw as part of a friends birthday party- someone said there was a traitor, so that made up our pre-movie playing. Jedi my sister and I saw opening day. We were sure it would sell out, so rode our bikes to the mall early to buy tickets, came home, then later went to the theater to find there was no line smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really enjoyed this one, wish i hadn't missed the live chat. I didn't think i could learn anything new about Star Wars but there was a ton. Rick James? David Fincher? Great enhancements too, the lovingly selected Carrie shots were appreciated.

For the Vader death thing: i always thought he didn't disappear, then Luke gave the body a respectful funeral (he was his father, and turned good at the end afterall), which "pleased the Force" or whatever, which in turn let him RIP and do the ghost thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got a call from my sister a few months ago asking me to settle a dispute between my 8-y-o nephew and his friend about whether or not Vader was already dead when Luke burned him on the pyre.

Warmed my heart.

Last edited by Zarban (2011-01-18 16:46:24)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Pretty sure it warmed Vader's heart too. And his lungs, stomach, spine etc.....

big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, as we know from Robot Chicken he in fact wasn't dead yet, but his systems were rebooting smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jedi was the first movie I remember seeing in theaters as a kid.  I remember it because my dad took me to see it and they showed an intro to the characters before the flick that I've never seen anywhere else again. 

fun times!

Last edited by switch (2011-01-18 21:51:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wonder why they thought that was needed. Now, I found it amusing when for Dune they handed out a sheet which defined all the new words that were in the movie...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've heard that hand out mentioned before but i don't remember it. My google-fu is poor so if you ever come across a link please post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure. Naturally, I didn't keep mine smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"This movie is about a kid who falls in with a terrorist organization and blows up a government building."

Trey blew my fucking mind with this tidbit.

Yeah, that's definitely one for this year's mashup.

I can't take credit for that one myself - as I recall, I saw it as somebody's sig on theforce.net.   

But yeah, it does make one realize the importance of perspective, don't it?

For years my brother's been drawing parallels between Osama Bind Laden and Obi Wan Kenobi. Both follow a crazy religion, hide out in the desert, and send young men off to fight against oppressive empires.

And yeah, both have 3 names!

Last edited by redxavier (2011-01-23 12:27:44)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One day they just disappeared and no one can ever find them again except their allies, and they're both screwing with people's minds to further their cause. Also, they both have bushy beards. And 6 syllables in their names. And David Icke swears they both shot JFK in red dresses during the faked moon landing funded by shape-shifting reptiles.

Also Lincoln.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

John Wilkes Booth = 15 letters

Lee Harvey Oswald = 15 letters

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi = 15 letters

I'M JUST SAYING, ISN'T IT INTERESTING

You gotta wonder if there were Battle of Yavin Truthers insisting that the Empire blew up their own Death Star, because the official "photon torpedo" story is clearly bogus. X-Wings don't have the payload to blow up a planet! Wake up sheeple!

...guys, I think I have to make a parody video.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

John Wilkes Booth = 15 letters

Lee Harvey Oswald = 15 letters

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi = 15 letters

I'M JUST SAYING, ISN'T IT INTERESTING

At last, someone else has seen it.

Anakin Skywalker = 15 letters

VADER WAS IN ON IT ALL ALONG! How else do you explain him being the sole survivor of the so-called attack?

Han Solo + Chewbaka (native Wookiee spelling) = 15 letters

THEY HELPED HIM ESCAPE!!

And, if you add up all the communications between so-called Princess (of the swamp) Leia and her confederates, it turns out she sent them, that's right, 15 "letters". (Some of those have been classified by you-know-who, but I have copies. Oh, yes.)

DorkmanScott wrote:

...guys, I think I have to make a parody video.

Why, is there something funny in this BLATANT CONSPIRACY?!?

DorkmanScott wrote:

You gotta wonder if there were Battle of Yavin Truthers insisting that the Empire blew up their own Death Star, because the official "photon torpedo" story is clearly bogus.

The answer is yes.

P.S., Grand Moff Tarkin = 15 letters.  *tap* *tap* Is this thing on?

Trey wrote:
DorkmanScott wrote:

You gotta wonder if there were Battle of Yavin Truthers insisting that the Empire blew up their own Death Star, because the official "photon torpedo" story is clearly bogus.

The answer is yes.

THEY STOLE MY IDEA

I WILL SUE THEM FOR ALL THE INTERNET DOLLARS I HAVE LOST

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They even stole it before you had it.   

That shows just how deep the rabbit hole goes... wake up sheeple!

Trey wrote:

They even stole it before you had it.   

That shows just how deep the rabbit hole goes... wake up sheeple!

Rabbits are just the fall-guys for the real time-immune villians, Jabba the Hutt's Chrono-Army of Backward-Facing Klepto-Monkeys. Which he keeps UP HIS ASS!

Did you never wonder why he suddenly just APPEARED in the official historical records after decades of not being in them? And why he walks like that?
And why Greedo nearly shoots first now?

MONKEYS!! STEALING YOUR PAST AND SHOVING IT UP THE FUTURE!!!

Do I have to draw you a picture?

Last edited by fcw (2011-01-23 23:11:08)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yjwahZgTOKw/S9IafgKHXpI/AAAAAAAAAQw/3RQVIy4jwt0/s1600/1256136589-glennbitch.jpg

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down in Front wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yjwahZgTOKw/S9IafgKHXpI/AAAAAAAAAQw/3RQVIy4jwt0/s1600/1256136589-glennbitch.jpg

That's the very picture I was going to draw, with the ass and everything.

My job here is done.