Topic: Game of Thrones discussion thread

Let's get on it people.  I got introduced to the books five years ago by Terry Matalas and have been hooked ever since. I love the series something fierce, and think they are really firing on all cylinders in terms of casting, performances, structure, and every other conceivable metric imagined.  Also, talk about an opening title sequence.  Seriously innovative.  What do the DiF heads think?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Game of Thrones discussion thread

tHAT WAS A COOL TITLE SEQUENCE. i LOVE THE MUSIC.

i HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO TURN OF CAPS LOCK FOR THIS POST.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know absolutely nothing about Game of Thrones, other than it's a thing that exists, and I only know this because I use Twitter and people are using that phrase a lot lately.

And now I know it has a nice title sequence.   

So, um, that's what I say.

I read the book, that's basically the same thing right?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

About the title sequence, it changes from episode to episode depending on where the story is taking place.  So while every episode features King's Landing and Winterfell, some episodes feature places like Pentos and Vaes Dothrak.  ALso, the bands around the sun are heiroglyphs telling the backstory of the main houses of Westeros.

As for the show, "Sopranos in Middle Earth," is still the best description I've heard.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Haven't read or seen it, but I hope it's a smash hit and leads to other series being adapted. Raymond Feist's Rift War books would make a great series, and David Eddings' Belgariad has a nice pacing for TV and young teen leads.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:

I read the book, that's basically the same thing right?

It's shocking just how close to the book it stays.  One of the truest adaptations I've seen in a while.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

As for the show, "Sopranos in Middle Earth," is still the best description I've heard.

The best description I've heard was this exchange on rec.arts.tv:

"Oh, goody--so it's only going to get bloodier?"

"Oh, you have no idea.  It seems like every book is more brutal than the
one before.  The only reason bad things stop happening to good people
is that they run out of good people and start working their way down
the list of the morally grey."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

YUP with a capital YUP.

No spoilers but...don't get attached to literally ANYONE.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There is so much sex in this show I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant now. AND I DON'T KNOW WHOSE IT IS.

I read the first book in advance of the show and am holding off on reading the second, to pace myself. But I loved it, I thought it was a fascinating and well-realized world of a scope and scale to rival Middle Earth, and George R.R. Martin is actually a good writer to boot.

The show is phenomenally well-done and actually clarified a few things that kept confusing me in simply reading the book, now that the characters have faces. And despite being a monster of a book, the filmmakers are actually finding time to add scenes that do not exist in the book but which get across important information that was in the book but not spoken by characters, or to condense/concentrate/clarify character relationships. They have the luxury of 8 more hours than your typical film gets, which allows them to strike the balance of being both true to the plot and true to the story.

I'm loving the show thus far and I'm really looking forward to seeing the concluding episodes of this season. Y'all should check it out once it hits blurry.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^ Dorkman just gave birth to his baby, and named it TEH CORRECT.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, the second is very interesting, but the Third book?  Holy Crap does it get intense.   Also, for lovers of the series, I have found in the show that through some very subtle looks, gestures, and inflections, they are dropping some hints at things that become significant over the course of the series.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well that is the advantage of knowing where things are going when you start, and having the author running things. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the series works out better then the early books as far as foreshadowing goes.

(I've thought about how I would try and adapt the Dragonriders of Pern books, and there's just some major continuity errors between the first and second books that have to be dealt with. And I'd ignore everything after The White Dragon smile )

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I keep meaning to read these books, but never get around to it. hmm

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

I know absolutely nothing about Game of Thrones, other than it's a thing that exists, and I only know this because I use Twitter and people are using that phrase a lot lately.

And now I know it has a nice title sequence.   

So, um, that's what I say.

^ What Trey said, but sounds like something I could get into.

I knew nothing about any of it, until about a week before the show premiered. Thats when a friend told me about it and I was instantly like hell yes! (Jason Momoa as a half naked barbarian?! Sign me up!.,..and yeah the rest of it's pretty cool too...)

I saw the premiere and loved the shit out of it, but I haven't had time to go back and catch up yet, but I'm really looking forward to when I can go back and watch all of them.

EDIT: Just finished the second episode... GODS DAMNED I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

That is all.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-05-25 07:39:01)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, been waiting a long time for the new book (finally coming out this July). The books are just amazing, really gripping stuff with emotional highs and lows like you wouldn't believe. One moment you're punching the air and almost letting out a woop, the next you're feeling sick to your stomach in disbelief at what's happened, then later you might discover that you're gritting your teeth as you seethe with anger, and every now and then you just laugh at some clever joke or the sheer balls of a character or feel a profound sorrow as you hear a tragic tale being told.

I'm liking the TV show so far. It's not comparable to the books (it never is) but it's also not quite 'best TV show ever'. Maybe that will change as we get further into the season (watched 5 episodes only) or onto the next season (when things really get going).

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is HBO the only US company still putting actual title sequences on their shows, frittering away valuable advertising minutes with theme tunes and credits and everything?

Although, as a theme tune snob, I thought the music was fairly "meh".

Whistles the theme to 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E' in the original 5/4 time.

fcw wrote:

Although, as a theme tune snob, I thought the music was fairly "meh".

Really? I love the GoT theme, it's subtle, but still epic, but not in your face epic, very much like the show itself in many ways. I like it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:

Really? I love the GoT theme, it's subtle, but still epic, but not in your face epic, very much like the show itself in many ways. I like it.

I read this at first as "very much like YOURSELF in many ways", which I thought was an awesome compliment to FCW.

It's certainly the way I think of FCW.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

maul2 wrote:

It's just a bit too Two Steps from Hell for me, while not being thematically interesting enough, at least on first hearing.  Maybe it'll grow on me, much like a little percussive barnacle.

Zarban wrote:

I read this at first as "very much like YOURSELF in many ways", which I thought was an awesome compliment to FCW.

It's certainly the way I think of FCW.

Why, thank you. I could make a joke here, but why spoil the moment?

I have no clue what Twp Steps From Hell is, so I'll just smile and nod politely.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Two Steps from Hell

I confess to being a bit meh on the opening. It's ok but I've been skipping it these last few episodes. I think HBO have done some far better openings - Deadwood and Band of Brothers are the two that come to mind. Ok, so Deadwood did have that side boob.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

I have no clue what Twp Steps From Hell is, so I'll just smile and nod politely.