Re: Last movie you watched

https://78.media.tumblr.com/38308b072485d1d6785f760f6c719b06/tumblr_inline_mj601chY5B1qz4rgp.gif

(Jk love you.)

It depends on your threshold for the opening stages being fairly mannered and slow before things turn nuts. I won't say I didn't enjoy the first half hour/forty minutes or so, because I did—the characters and the humor are already there, and like the rest of the film it's a treat to look at—but I expect that section plays much better knowing that the sinister is coming.

It's a much softer film than The Master in ways—it lacks the unrelenting claustrophobic close-ups that one has, and the grainy haze of the visuals is less oppressive to look at than Master's 70mm, which is just the prettiest thing ever but also really sharp-edged. I'm not sure how well I can answer your question, because I find Master completely hypnotic rather than interminable (that's not me tryin' to sound hifalutin and artsy, it's just genuinely been my emotional reaction from the first viewing onward), but Phantom Thread is definitely less likely to punish you for devoting your attention to it.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-01-17 20:38:55)

I went to film school and everything and I do not get the love for Phantom Thread.  The closer PTA gets to whatever he's going for, the less I enjoy the result.  I don't want him to stop making movies and I don't mind if people like them, but personally I'm mystified.     

It took me a week to get through The Master, mostly by letting it run while I did other things.  Inherent Vice I didn't even try to finish because I knew better after The Master.   Phantom Thread was kind of a step up, in that I didn't actively quit watching it, I just fell asleep after about an hour and haven't had any urge to watch the rest. 

So you're saying something actually happens in that last half hour?

Geez, I need to get Eddie in here to back me up. tongue

But yes, Trey. This is very much PTA's Hitchcock film, and it's very similar to Vertigo (which I know you also don't care for) in that the opening proceedings take their time but are absolutely necessary for setting up everything that goes nuts later on.

Okay then, I may give it another chance someday. But if it turns out you're messing with me, your name's going on a list.

The list is real.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

http://cdn.hallels.com/data/images/full/5440/kill-bill-vol-3.jpg?w=620

Can finally listen to the DiFs now!

Finished off Tarantino's filmography tonight with a double feature of The Assassination of Bill by the Coward Uma Thurman. In the moment it's definitely a fun experience. Uma Thurman is a goddess and we should never have allowed her to fall off the A-list. The fight scenes are all pretty damn awesome—tbh I prefer the one-on-one brawls to the Crazy-88 showpiece, especially the opening knife fight and the trailer duel.

The fun does not come without reservations, however. Just casually throwing in there that the Bride has been raped repeatedly while comatose is just such a fucking gross, demeaning, awful thing, and while I often just roll my eyes at Tarantino's more tryhard edgelord moments this one made me actively furious with him. That leads to my larger problem with the movie—it's decidedly the turning point where Tarantino stopped making movies and started making various degrees of cartoon. I can't entirely blame him—if Jackie Brown, my best and most adult movie, got a lukewarm reception and then I released a four-hour cartoon to general acclaim, I'd probably keep making the cartoons too. But it filled me with a certain sadness knowing that this was the point where he stopped trying to mature in his filmmaking.

Some other scattered observations:

- I'm surprised Zoe Bell didn't get her own proper credit, considering the Crazy 88 stunt team did along with the other actors.

- The more self-indulgent stuff (the Pai Mei scenes, God) should have been trimmed so this could have been released as one 200-minute movie. Separating the two volumes is to Volume 2's detriment—it's an hour of continued action followed by an hour of denouement, which when viewed in isolation would be a pretty major pacing problem.

- Why does everyone hate Death Proof so much? Volume 1 is the exact same tone for even longer, and nothing in it compares to the car chase in DP.

Final QT ranking now that I've seen all his stuff: Jackie Brown/Pulp Fiction > Inglourious Basterds > Reservoir Dogs > The Hateful Eight > Kill Bill Vols. 1 and 2 > Death Proof > Django Unchained. Like 'em all except for Django (which still has its moments), and outright love the first three. I await his upcoming Manson film with a mixture of hope and leeriness—his decision to release it on the anniversary of the Tate murders as a publicity stunt doesn't exactly fill me with hope that he'll nail the tone.

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-01-29 05:11:45)

It has been a long time since I watched Kill Bill, and I have made no attempt to familiarize myself with the rest of Tarantino's work, but I think I agree with most of your points. It's an interesting experiment to split it into two but they become two very different movies, tonally, for it, and you have to be in a certain mood for 2's style and pacing, whereas if they were wrapped into one it might go better. I'm sure there are a half dozen decent fan edits out there that accomplish it in different ways.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I liked Death Proof, but I'm a weirdo.

I just watched Blade Of The Immortal:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/61/Blade_of_the_Immortal_%28film%29.jpg

It is based on my favorite comic book series. Obviously you're not gonna fit all of the 30+ volume run of a comic series into a movie without cutting out a pretty huge chunk of it and glossing over even more, but I was actually sorta shocked at just how much they kept in the film. Honestly, I think this is about as good an adaptation of the books series as you could ever hope to make, given a single film. They cut out basically the entire second half of the series and end it VERY differently from the book as a result, but it's actually kinda shocking how much they got in there. If it has been done as a 2-part series and gone over more of the weird espionage / politics stuff and slowed down a bit while including more of the plot (including some of the bigger 'third-act' sequences from the book that would have happened after this film's plot) I think it could have been a resounding success.

As it is, tho, I would still recommend it. The plot in this version is more or less a Cliff's Notes version, with a TON of plot elements, characters and character beats totally missing, but it's an ace flick if you like feudal japanese sword flicks. If you've ever thought "man, this movie had an awesome sword fight at the beginning and the end and then the middle got kinda overly boring", then this is your flick. There are awesome sword fights every ten minutes.

The one big disappointment I have is that they misplaced the villain. In the books there are multiple villains that swap out during the series. It starts out much like it is in the film, but somewhere in the middle you realize that Anotsu isn't actually a villain, that Rin and Manji aren't really good guys, and there's a lot more gray area than you realized. And then Shira gets even more fucked up and there's a sub-plot with a kid that Rin bumps into, and then there's the political intrigue that this film sorta crams into the second half in a sorta non-subtle way...

At some point you realize that there's not a protagonist or an antagonist, but that they're all protagonists and they're all antagonists, and it just depends on whose point of view you're seeing things through. The characters themselves don't even seem to know where they stand with each other by the end of the series. That's the sort of stuff that's really hard to cram into a movie, tho, when you have to have things like sword fights and plot lines.

Bottom line is that I liked it a lot more than I was expecting, and they crammed a lot more into it than I was expecting, and Miike had the common sense to not rush the pacing the whole time. There are scenes and shots that linger, and there are some nice character beats and moments that I think most US studios would probably have cut out to keep the running time down. I very much recommend it if you like action and don't mind the weird cheesiness that Japanese schlock can sometimes have.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Annihilation_%28film%29.png
A somewhat Lynchian take on The Colour Out of Space and Roadside Picnic / Stalker concepts. We need more sci-fi like this - haunting, creepy and thought-provoking. Naturally, the studio had no faith in it and dumped it onto NetFlix in most countries sad

Made by the Ex Machina guy, starring Padmé and Poe. I think you're gonna like it, guys.

We all float down here...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked it quite a bit, for most of it, I think. (Wasn't sober when I saw it.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone who loved the last 20ish minutes of this should check out Under the Skin, which is basically that tone/aesthetic but for an entire movie.

(I liked it too. I was fairly disappointed at how straightforward a lot of it was, and the bullshit science of "refracting DNA" and the like actively dampens the uncanny atmosphere Garland is attempting to invoke, but everything from the

SPOILER Show
bear scene
onward is properly weird. It's a damn shame most people won't see it on the big screen, because those ending visuals/sound were clearly meant to be experienced that way. I prefer Ex Machina—it's tighter, more consistent, and doesn't waste Oscar Isaac—but God I wish more movies with this kind of ambition were being made by the studio system.)

Last edited by DarthPraxus (2018-03-19 00:57:20)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d6/TheKillingPosterKubrick.jpg/220px-TheKillingPosterKubrick.jpg

Well this is just a whole lot of fun. Didn't feel Kubrickian at all to me—the director of Dr. Strangelove was still a ways from emerging—but it's kind of mind-blowing how ahead of its time it is in terms of structure. Tarantino clearly watched this a lot in the 90s; it's a nonlinear heist flick that retells key scenes from multiple perspectives in a manner that Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown owe a lot to.

http://centroartealameda.cl/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/bringing-out-the-dead-poster1.jpg

I went down to St. James infirmary
To see my baby there
She was lying on a long wood table
So cold, so still, so fair

I went up to see the doctor,
"She's very low," he said,
I went back to see my baby,
Good god, she's lying there dead

This is my favorite of the Scorsese movies I've seen (caveat—Raging Bull and Goodfellas are not yet among that camp). It's probably my favorite Nicolas Cage performance. Good lord.

The movie is a nightmare, an insomniac hellscape that sees its paramedic hero witnessing death after death in the midst of New York's filth and squalor, torn apart by guilt but unable to stop chasing the high of saving lives. I'm so used to seeing Cage's flair for the dramatic in service to so-bad-they're-good movies that I'd forgotten what it's like to see him using it for a truly worthy role. As the movie progresses and his desperation and mania bubble closer to the surface, you start to feel more and more like you're trapped inside this hallucinatory sea of guilt along with him.

I'm not someone who's gifted with a high degree of natural empathy, and this is one of those pieces of art that make me a little glad about that. If you're someone whose profession constantly deals in death, empathy is the worst curse there is.

Huh. I don't think I'd even heard of this movie.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love Bringing Out The Dead. I'm glad time is being more kind to it. When it was first released, the studio utterly botched the marketing and trailers, trying to sell it as some crazy, wacky comedy with a Pulp Fiction sort of vibe.

It got super panned by a lot of people because it's not really a funny movie. There's some comedy in it, but it's really not a funny movie, and it's really not a funny action-drama or anything. A lot of the film is kinda slow and bleak and sad. I highly recommend it.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The Last Jedi

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi.jpg

It had potential, but I didn't really like it. It's not unwatchably bad or anything. It's not boring and it's got some interesting quirkiness to it, but ultimately it spends too much time in action sequences and trying to be funny and not enough time giving me a reason to care about anything that happens to anyone. This is made worse by the end of the film, where most of the plotlines are finished, so the series now has nowhere to really go. I have no idea what the next movie is going to include. It spilled the beans or killed everyone off, so now the only thing that the last movie pretty much has to do is have emo darth vader and female luke skywalker fight each other.

The best bits in the movie were when it looked like Rey and Kylo Ren were making a connection and were going to team up. I actually really wanted that to happen. Or for there to be that moment where Rey and Ren were at the same level of "I dunno what the fuck I want or what I'm doing" and to have Rey actually fall and go full evil-mode. Or just do something - SOMETHING - that was interesting and unexpected. Kylo's arc was doing well, but that's basically done with, now. He's just evil and he wants to murder everyone. If they go with THAT for the next film they could actually make him sorta scary. Just have him going planet to planet and slaughtering everyone. Like he's snapped and gone full 'active shooter', but he's the most powerful thing in the universe and can kill people with a thought and has a massive army. Not really conquering them so much as mass-genocide.

I can't think of too much else you could do with this series. They've pretty much removed all the potential for the next one.

Meh.

This was on OK-ish flick, tho. There were things I liked in it, but it's not really that great of a flick. Everyone has probably already seen it, so there's no point in recommending it or not. I'm one of the last to have watched it. I had no interest in it in the theaters. I've been done with Star Wars for some time. I only watch them now out of morbid curiosity.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down