Re: The New Introduction Thread

drewjmore wrote:

The Hawaiian Spam fetish strikes me as such a weird cargo-cult artifact.
Several anthropology careers are waiting to be made.

Spam was also one of the US chief exports to Britain during WW2.

Also, the cast of Lost did a whole thing about Spam cuisine. I find it funny.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, when your meat options are severely restricted by isolation or war, even canned spiced ham can become a treasured treat. It goes the other way, too. Things that Hawaiians take for granted seem exotic to us: hula, volcanoes, human sacrifice, etc.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Things that Hawaiians take for granted seem exotic to us: hula, volcanoes, human sacrifice, etc.

Gosh, you make one little comment about pineapple on pizza and the thread works its way down to human sacrifice in no time at all.

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

LatinAlice wrote:
Zarban wrote:

Things that Hawaiians take for granted seem exotic to us: hula, volcanoes, human sacrifice, etc.

Gosh, you make one little comment about pineapple on pizza and the thread works its way down to human sacrifice in no time at all.

Wouldn't be the first time.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Hi! My names Sam Duckworth and this sounds like a post for film addicts anonymous.

I'm British, soon to be 21, animation enthusiast and currently training to be a games developer! I specialize more in 3D character modelling although I do dabble in composing and 3D animation.

I found out about this lovely place by the luck of the random button on tvtropes! Fancy that! That random button introduced me to my favorite podcast. I've been a long time lurker but I decided to take the plunge and join the community. Favorite film is Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind to which I enjoyed listening to your commentary on! Its nice to be here! big_smile

Cool! It's interesting how many forum regulars are UK VFX artists.

I'm Ace. This is Janko. You met Tink and Woz when you came in. Rachet here is our resident grease monkey. And Butch... well, let's just say ol' Butch here keeps us all from goin' space crazy.

*pets imaginary dog*

Awe Zarban, I didn't know you got a dog big_smile

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Another Brit, we're spreading!

Welcome aboard, sir.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Please, don't spread in front of the children.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

There's too many of them!  THERE'S TOO MANY OF TH-

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:
Owen Ward wrote:

There's too many of them!  THERE'S TOO MANY OF TH-

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/051/891/4584549789_a82b00151b.jpg

Oh, and welcome smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi everyone, I'm Hercules/Herc, nice to be here. So, the name is a bit of a giveaway. I'm a Greek (the Cyprus kind, not the Greece kind) born and raised in London/Lahndahn, but now living in Montreal to get my PhD in biology. I've only been here 6 months, so I still feel like a fish out of water. It's like An American Werewolf in London, except hairier and I don't have a Jenny Agutter, and also, it's completely different.

So, a friend (you know them as insideoutcast) mentioned this 'cast a couple of times, and I checked it out. I spend a lot of time overthinking movies, and I'm fascinated by everything from Campbell's monomyth to special effects to stuff like colour-grading. So this 'cast is pretty much a movie-geek wet-dream. So... thanks for that.

Worst injury: never broken a bone, but I did get pneumonia in January. That sucked a big bag of dicks. One star. Would not buy again.
Sister's number: I only have a half-sister, so I'd only give you half her number, if I knew it. Better luck next time.

Anyway, looking forward to geeking out with y'all.

Herc

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Welcome. What are you doing your dissertation on?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks! My dissertation? Oh boy.

Short answer: metacommunity phylogenetics.

Long answer: I'm trying to work out the relative contributions of different ecological processes, to community structure/diversity. I'm gonna simulate communities (birth, death, competition etc) and have linked communities (metacommunities) using immigration and dispersal. The phylogenetics (evolutionary relatedness) part uses evolutionary trees to work out what patterns we expect to see in a community, and then whether species are more or less ecologically similar than we expect. This then gives us clues about what processes are going on (competition leads to species in a community being less similar, while habitat selection leads to them being more similar than expected by chance).

That is as concise an explanation as I can give! It's really neat stuff.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Sounds neat.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How do you come to decide on the subject of your dissertation?

I've always wondered about that.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ha, yeah, when you say it like that it sounds awfully specific.

For me, my supervisors had gotten a grant for a research proposal that would be developing a framework for spatial ecology (pretty broad subject, not too specific). They used that money to fund me and two other PhD students, and we're all working on slightly different things. The thing that helped me zero in on what I wanted to do was that I'd spent a year programming (nothing fancy, just R) and found out I really, really liked it, so that led to me focusing my PhD on programming huge community simulations. Also, I just kinda dig the way processes change over different scales (my Master's project was on that) and that fits neatly with the PhD stuff. Also also, our particular use of phylogenetics is really new, and it's a pretty badass approach.

For other people, a supervisor has a really specific project in mind and is basically outsourcing their research to a PhD student who (hopefully) is interested in that subject. (One PhD I saw offered was "the evolutionary origin of mussels" which felt like the most depressing thing I'd ever read. I'm not one for tunnel vision). Other people are selected by a supervisor and have a choice of 5 or 6 projects within the same subject. It really varies a lot.

Oh, Hi.  I've made a few posts already, but I guess I should introduce myself.  I'm Isaac.  I love movies, I try to squeeze in two or three a week, which when I was younger seemed like hardly any but as a dad in his 30's seems like a lot of cinema. 

I write about movies and other nerdy things at http://www.the-triangle.net.  I'm currently chronicling my slog through the James Bond canon. 

I came across DIF/Friends in Your Head by searching Itunes for podcasts about whatever random movie I was watching some week.  I soon made it my ritual to listen to the podcast the day after watching any given film that they have covered.  At some point, I had some half-amusing though relating to an episode, and I emailed the podcast.  Teague wrote me back and in his very enthusiastic fashion, encouraged me to join in the forum, much as he does in ever podcast. 

Nine months later I took him up on it.

Haha, Teague has gestated another one.
Non-foreign, hetero, upper end of the age demo.
I vote we let him in anyway.

Welcome aboard man!

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yup, boring old straight white guy.  That's me!  Nice to meet you Drew.

Isaac wrote:

...as a dad in his 30's...

drewjmore wrote:

...upper end of the age demo...

sad_tennant

Aww, see Drew? Now you've hurt Zarban's feelings.
Friendly reminder that David Tennant, the handsome man being rained on, is a dad in his 40's. And we would so totally welcome him with open arms.
Welcome Isaac!

alicia ♆
twitter | instagram | website

Zarban is the reason
Zarban is the why

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://www.friendsinyourhead.com/forum/img/harle.gif

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

LatinAlice wrote:

David Tennant, the handsome man being rained on, is a dad in his 40's. And we would so totally welcome him with open arms.
Welcome Isaac!

Thanks Alice.  As I have tried to explain to my Fiance many many times, David Tennant and I are basically the same person.