Topic: Intermission 009 - Terra Nova time.

I still haven't seen most of the pilot. Fortunately, Trey's been on tour with his Terra Nova schpiel.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Intermission 009 - Terra Nova time.

We'll be in Dallas Texas for three days and then it's on to Charleston.

Don't tease me like that, Trey! I live in Fort Worth! I'm one hour away from Dallas by train! smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So the mysterious people that inhabit the world of Terra Nova beyond the fence barrier are called "The Sixers"? Why? I understand the moniker "Others" for the mysterious people in LOST because they're other people not part of the main group. Unlike that situation, this doesn't make any sense. Are they six years old? Are they six feet tall? Are there only six of them? Did they successfully collect all six Dragonballs? What's the deal?

Best case scenario? It turns out it's the basketball team, complete with a time traveling Doctor J.

http://media.bonnint.net/slc/1744/174403/17440303.jpg

I wish.

From what I remember of the pilot, the Sixers came over on the Sixth Pilgrimage to Terra Nova. I have no clue why they all became evil.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well this was entertaining, but it was an awful lot of nitpicking of details that you all would have happily overlooked if the show was any good. I watched the first half of Terra Nova, and I honestly think you're being way too hard on it about the third child thing. China doesn't sterilize families or kill extra children.

The father goes to prison for assaulting a police officer. The penalty for having an extra child is probably financial, as in China. Also, there would be plenty of doctors who disagreed with the government policy who would help with secret births. It's funny that Trey wanted that stuff explained but he was fine with the original pilot skipping over the whole of the world they left.

Regarding the pollution question, people don't seem to have a problem with Wall-E, which posits an even worse case of the same sort.

Also, about the family who goes to live on the Serengeti being a bad idea.... Is Trey aware that Daktari lasted four seasons?

Princess of Mars really is just awful. Not only does John Carter get to Mars by passing out in a cave(?!), he quickly becomes the greatest warrior in a warrior society of 15-foot tall people with four arms!

Last edited by Zarban (2011-11-10 17:54:08)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

For whatever reason, this episode showed up in the feed with a date of 12/31/10. Not a big deal, but it means iTunes felt it was an old episode and thus didn't automatically download it.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Now I'm all angry at Wall-E. That movie makes less sense the more I think about it.

You escaped a polluted planet by building a spaceship that AUTOMATICALLY RECYCLES EVERYTHING. Just make some of those on EARTH!

You sent iPod robots down to search for LIFE but gave them weapons and program them to KILL anything that moves!?

Zarban wrote:

It's funny that Trey wanted that stuff explained but he was fine with the original pilot skipping over the whole of the world they left.

My problem is that the expanded view of 2149 actually raised more questions.    It's akin to the Matrix sequels for me, the more they tried to justify everything, the deeper a hole they dug for themselves.   

In the original TN pilot you see almost nothing of the world, all I can tell ya is that having seen both versions, the original worked better.  Bonus, there was less cutesy family interaction as well.

Zarban wrote:

Regarding the pollution question, people don't seem to have a problem with Wall-E, which posits an even worse case of the same sort.

This person was, a bit.  But Wall-e seemed to suggest that the Earth was wrecked by rampant consumerism that used up all the resources and left nothing but trash.   Also, it was a cartoon.   smile    Terra Nova specifically says that the skies are so smoky that people can't see the Moon, and I still wanna know how "overpopulation" caused that.  It's not a 1-1 thing.

Zarban wrote:

Also, about the family who goes to live on the Serengeti being a bad idea.... Is Trey aware that Daktari lasted four seasons?

That wasn't the analogy, and Daktari was the very example I had in mind.  The point is that Daktari was NOT about the family being attacked by the local wildlife every week.  Every so often, sure.  But not EVERY week.  Better still, Daktari was about a veterinarian and his family, so the premise itself justified weekly interaction with the local fauna.   

Meanwhile, Terra Nova is about people who don't want to get attacked by dinosaurs and have taken reasonable precautions to avoid them.  But it was sold to the audience as Jurassic Park Every Week, and so they're stuck with contriving weekly dinosaur encounters, which often makes the characters look like idiots.   

If Fox wanted a Little House in the Cretaceous, as they say TN was intended to be, they should have used Daktari as an inspiration, because that really was Little House on the Serengeti.

One thing I wish I HAD done was draw a clearer line between the "writers" and the network - more than once I blamed the "writers" for things that may not really be their fault.  I did say that the original pilot was better than the final result - clearly somebody was trying to do a darker, grittier show, and the network changed that.   

There are actually some talented writers on the Terra Nova staff, and it may well be that they've been fighting a weekly battle to put on a good show.  But based on what's made it on the air, they're not having a lot of success with that.

Zarban wrote:

Princess of Mars really is just awful. Not only does John Carter get to Mars by passing out in a cave(?!), he quickly becomes the greatest warrior in a warrior society of 15-foot tall people with four arms!

Now who's nitpicking?   wink

Weekly Battle doesnt quite do it justice.

I have to tread VERY carefully here...but I do have a friend who is on the writing staff of that show, and I can say that there is a unified front on the Terra Nova side in terms of what they want to do story wise, and it often lies in direct opposition with what the Network mandates.  What Trey describes as the more traditional aspect of Sci Fi is what many on the writing staff are trying to do.  But when the numbers are large, folks on the side of the network actually want to see MORE things like fence building, ditch digging, and other meaningless chores.  The people who write the show actually want it to be a, y'know, SHOW.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was about to post a link to "Pan Am for Dummies" - a great xtranormal.com video created by an anonymous Pan Am staffer, but it seems to have been pulled offline.  Which isn't surprising, it was pretty scathing.

Basically it was a satirical conversation between a Pan Am writer and an ABC network exec.  The writer is arguing that Pan Am is supposed to be a highbrow show about international intrigue, and the network exec argues that it should focus more on the stewardesses and their shoes.  At one point the writer says (I'm paraphasing) "I didn't realize sodomy was part of my contract" and the exec answers "Yes, and if you don't bend over, we'll hire writers who will".

Deadline.com featured the video, and I'm sure a lot of phones were ringing as a result.   But it was freakin' funny, so if anyone stumbles on a copy, plz post.  smile.   

Anyway, I suspect that it's pretty much the same story over at Terra Nova.

Trey wrote:

The point is that Daktari was NOT about the family being attacked by the local wildlife every week.  Every so often, sure.  But not EVERY week.

Well which is it, Mr. Stokes. Does the show recycle old SeaQuest scripts or does it have the characters attacked by dinosaurs every single week?

And where were you on the night Randolph Blake was murdered with a speargun?!

I feel like I'm going to totally disagree with Trey when I listen to this. I *loved* the pilot.

I've felt the show be a little shakey in the first few episodes, as all shows except LOST and Twin Peaks are, but it's REALLY picked up now, especially as Elizabeth's old flame has joined the cast. It's *not* about dinosaurs attacking every week. It's about human drama and starting a new civilization.

It is, sure, basically the original concept for LOST, before they brought in JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof and made it a sci-fi mystery, but, then, I kinda have always wanted to see that show.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really need them to establish how communication works between TN and 2149, because clearly both TN and the Sixers have the ability to do so.

TN knows who to expect, and when to expect them, and as evidenced in one episode, the mother was requested, so clearly the ability for two-way communication exists.

I'm inclined to agree with whoever (sorry) brought up the comparison to Stargate.  It seems unlikely that the Sixers can open their own portals, so the most likely scenario is that the have their own means of communication when the portal is active.

As to who the Sixers are and what the want... I'm guessing that someone on an earlier pilgrimage (going with the fifth personally), made the initial recon and request for personel, and that person is still in TN.  It also seems clear that Taylor's son is involved with them somehow. 

Then there's the whole timestream issue.  We're meant to believe that TN exists in an alternate timeline than 2149, as evidenced by the probe.  However, there's a line at the end of the pilot that seems to suggest that the timeline is the same, and it is explicitly stated that the true purpose of TN is "...control the past to control the future...", whatever that means.

Hey, how did everyone like that "all electrical equipment is run by its own single chip" storyline from last week?

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2011-11-11 16:48:59)

I gave up on Terra Nova after the episode with the Newt from Aliens clone in it......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I gave up on Terra Nova after the episode with the Newt from Aliens clone in it......

Someone on the writing staff must be an Aliens fan; during the pilot when all the kids go out to the still, the cute chick and the son are going back and forth about "slashers":

CC: "...they mostly hunt at night.
S: "[scofs] Mostly?"

Then the episode Jimmy mentioned aired, and I had the exact same thought, "What the hell is Newt doing in TN?"

If you really want Jurassic Park meets Alien, there's a decent book (from which was made a horrible movie), by the name of Relic.

The movie stunk but Relic did have a badass creature design.

Outside all of the stupid logic issues, the show fails utterly and completely because the characters are insanely unlikable. This might be the least interesting/sympathetic batch of protagonists I've ever seen in a show. They all look like ass-hole supermodels who in no way are real human beings or have ever lived together as a family. If they just made the show entirely about Stephen Lang's character I'd be on board, but all this teen bullshit is unwatchably bad. Imagine the new Battlestar Galactica reboot if you took out every badass/han-solo type character, then dumb the writing down by several orders of magnitude, and make the effects shittier, and you get Terra Nova.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

Then the episode Jimmy mentioned aired, and I had the exact same thought, "What the hell is Newt doing in TN?"

I don't mind references but this was lazy. I then thought- 'Game over, man, game over!' and I haven't watched it since big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that caught the "they only come out at night" line in the pilot.

It annoyed me enough that I tweeted the following:

"Wow, they just called back to one of the iconic lines from Aliens....you don't deserve to use that line Terra Nova"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That show never interested me at all. In fact, Falling Skies did interest me until I watched about ten minutes of it. There would appear to be a trend in trying to make these crazy high-budget shows where people are trying to survive in some post apocalyptic or otherwise harsh environment now that Lost is over. You've got TN, Falling Skies, Walking Dead and then you had that Flash Forward, Invasion and a bunch of other little shows that lasted one season or less.

All of those shows suck. Hell, Lost sucked. I didn't like it, at least. Half of my problem is that I don't watch TV anymore, so whenever I try to catch one of these shows I'm reminded why I stopped watching TV in the first place. Some people have said that TV is where all of the good dramatic writing happens now, and I would have to disagree. Prime time TV looks to me like subdued soap operas with decent effects budgets.

But I probably shouldn't even have an opinion. I don't think I've seen a full episode of any of these shows, only caught 15 or 20 minutes here and there. What I've seen of them is largely people standing around arguing about stuff, and one of those people is usually the bad guy who always causes the problems. Ever seen Lost in Space? That show had stuff happening, not just people arguing about shit or talking about shit.

I've not actually seen Walking Dead, but it's a zombie show. This latest zombie craze has been going on since friggin 28 Days Later. That's almost a solid decade of zombie shit. This trend needs to have it's brain destroyed. I hate zombies.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2011-11-12 21:24:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P: The best dramatic writing is on TV, but only on cable networks like amc and hbo. Prime Time tv is a cess-pool of horrible ideas dunked in terrible dialogue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll just add that I've come to hate story arcs. Oh, they were great at the beginning. Loved the continuing story lines on the NBC dramas like LA Law, Babylon 5's 5 year arc was a great experiment, etc. But, now? EVERYTHING has story arcs! You can't turn on a drama seemingly without it expecting you to catch every episode. Even the new Doctor Who has been infected. Can't we just have ONE season of the Doctor where each episode stands on its own? It would be so refreshing!

(My sister over the years has stopped watching all TV dramas, as she'd always be behind. Now, unless it's on Netflix she won't see it)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ahh, see, I've never had more than just basic cable. I don't need 50 billion channels. I rarely even watch the news anymore. So I never had HBO or showtime or anything.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure AMC is on basic cable - since it started life as "American Movie Classics" and just ran old movies, before it started making original shows about zombies and middle-aged drug dealers.  Ditto for the FX Network, another basic cable channel that's become known for doing shows that broadcast networks would never touch.

bullet3's exactly right - if you wanna make the big money, you make network tv or big-studio features.  But most likely everything you do will have to be completely mainstream and "safe", for the widest possible audience.  So hopefully that money is enough to make you feel okay about the crap you may end up putting out.  (And I, for one, am willing to find out - hello, ABC, are you listening?  Call me!)

But lately cable, even basic cable, has become the place to go to do something niche, or edgy or challenging.  The tradeoff is you'll take a smaller paycheck (and it's not a BAD paycheck at all, just nowhere near what you'd get from a broadcast network.)