Topic: Spider-Man 3

i fucking hate everybody right now don't even talk to me

holden

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Spider-Man 3

....So, hey Teague....Let's talk. smile

Seriously, though. Three moments. There are three moments that I love in this movie. They are as follows:
1. Bruce Campbell.
2. The birth of Sandman. The effects/animation are quite good, the music in the scene is moving and it's overall touching. For instance, my twin sister was watching the movie for the first time. She has no attachments to this franchise or these characters, but when he tried to reach for his daughter's locket and couldn't grab it, she genuinely went, "Aaawww." Also, she gasped out loud when the engagement ring escaped Peter's grasp earlier.
3. James Franco and the pie. "So good". smile
Most everything else, I can either take or leave, except for the things that make me cry blood tears.

Last edited by johnpavlich (2011-11-14 09:37:30)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The birth of Sandman scene is probably the best scene in the movie. A really great superhero movie (or superhero story in general) can take a really silly concept from the source material and connect it with a realistic character. I believed that Sandman was a real character. I didn't buy any choices he made, but seeing him reach for that locket and being unable to grab it is moving because I cared about the the character.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yay sentimentality! Writing movies is easy!
SAID WHILE REACHING OUT TO TOUCH A PHOTO OF HIS DEAD BUDGIE

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, Teague rage big_smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Does the Spidey 3 banner on the main page say FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU in the background?

It sure does.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Yeah, this is possibly my favorite commentary you guys have ever done.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.bleachernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hooray-zoidberg.jpg

It's Mike's fault that I've been doing this for the last two weeks.

Well, it's Billy West's fault, but yeah.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know, if Peter had just left after talking to the Sandman at the end and not gone to talk to Harry, Harry would have never died. He only died because Peter showed up. He was waiting for Peter.

They should have made aunt may venom.

They put Gwen Stacey in this movie and then didn't kill her. What the hell?

I wanted Mary Jane to die, and every scene in this movie with Mary Jane I was waiting for something to kill her. I don't really know why.

Why did they put her astronaut boyfriend in the previous film and then not follow that up by having him get the symbiote? Was that not the reason they put him into the second film?

The thing about these movies is that they dangle these cool things at you and then don't do those cool things. "Hey, here's Venom! Look at Venom guys! OOOOh what are we gonna do with Venom!?" And then they gave Venom about five minutes of screen time and no real motivation at all. Sandman's character starts out with an interesting motivation and goal, and then they totally ignore all that crap so they can have him hit stuff a lot. They take the - granted, very flimsy and stupid - tension between Harry and Peter and throw it out the window for most of the movie due to amnesia. All the character stuff they could have done there was just thrown out because they literally made him forget his motivation and goals for half the movie.

The movie as a whole was a huge mess of setting up potentially cool stuff and then saying "nope, we need to totally ignore all that stuff we just set up, so let's change all of this and establish a new scenario". It's not even like it's 2nd act "upping the ante" type changing. It's full on changing the goals of all the characters and then moving into the second act. Except Sandman, whose goal they just ignore, really. Venom doesn't even show up until well into the second act, just before they go into the third act / climax. I guess that's upping the ante, eh? Just throwing in a new villain at the end? Hrmm...

<EDIT>
It's like they started off the script and said "OK, we've got these two or three good ideas for what we want to do with this story, let's do it like this", and then they got thirty pages in and thought "no, this is dumb, let's just add a scene or two to undo all that crap and set up these new ideas instead" and then they spent about 80 pages doing that and thought "no no no, this isn't working...  let's just go back to the first ideas we had...  just add a scene or two to undo the changes we already made before...  and... good..."

But then someone said "hey, wait...  people will probably get pissed off that we just wasted like 90 minutes of screen time with plot stuff that we just threw out..." so someone else said "I know! Let's just add this other character to the end and we can pretend like it was all building up to this the whole time!"

And then they all had a congratulatory party where they all got drunk as hell before they sat down to finish writing the last bit of the movie.
</EDIT>

Something to add to the money-making discussion at the end: the thing that gets these films to make a buttload of money is the fact that it's something that a family can go see, and kids - older kids - will want to go see these movies. A lot of the audience for these movies is the 8-14 year old kids that have families that all go to the movies together. That's why they keep trying to make every movie PG 13 now, cause parents won't take their 8 year old to go see Watchmen cause it's R-Rated. Why do you think Watchmen bombed? Wasn't cause it was bad. It was cause there was naked blue guys and dirty sex and people getting brained and stuff like that in there. While the 10 year old kids out there might see a preview for that and say "wow, I wanna go see that movie!" their parents are gonna say "That's R-rated, so it's probably violent and full of boobies" so they won't take their kids to see it.

I KNOW there are a lot of people who will drag their 5 year old kids into a theater to see se7en, but those are the truly retarded people of the world. The people who give Monies to Spiderman 3 and Transformers 2 aren't really stupid, they're just trying to give their kids a good time, or they are themselves teenagers and thus just kinda dumb in general.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2011-11-15 10:46:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The dance scene makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a dull pencil.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

http://www.bleachernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/hooray-zoidberg.jpg

It's Mike's fault that I've been doing this for the last two weeks.

Well, it's Billy West's fault, but yeah.

The Zoidberg levels on this forum are getting incredibly high, incredibly fast. Not that I'm complaining.

Anyway, they should have made the symbiote the villain instead of Venom specifically. What if Peter defeats Venom early on, and the symbiote goes on to infect other people in his life? Heck, that provides a better explanation for Harry's revolving door arc. He gets infected and turns evil. Then he fights back with the old "I know you're in there somewhere" thing, and teams up with Peter in the third act.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

FixedR6 wrote:

Yay sentimentality! Writing movies is easy!

I'm glad you said this.  It's one of those words a lot of moviepeople I love throw around disparagingly.  What is the difference between story sentimentality and actual sentimentality?  There must be a difference because I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.  Is it Norman Rockwell vs Piss Christ? 

Is it Hallmark? Not that I want everything to be a Hallmark card, but sometimes a Hallmark card does the trick.

I hear Spielberg described as sentimental frequently.  What does that mean?

...help.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I went back and found my post from when the movie first came out, and it all still applies perfectly:

Okay, I just got back from seeing this piece of shit, and the more I think about it, the worse it seems.

There are a few general problems: the underwritten characters, the awful comic relief that makes you want to crawl under your seat in embarrassment, the Joel Schumacher-esque action scenes that are edited in such a way that you can't tell what the fuck is happening half the time.

And I have a few very specific problems as well . . .

Why, after establishing in the opening that Mary Jane can't sing for shit (how badly does Sam Raimi want to direct a musical?), does he then go on to have her sing again at the end? And who exactly dubbed in her awful singing voice? Because that sure as hell sounded nothing like Kirsten Dunst. Did they hold auditions? Wanted: girl with a tiny voice whose singing style sounds like reading from a phone book.

In the comics, Peter went to the bell tower to get rid of the symbiote because he knew the sound would drive it off of him. In the movie, he goes there because . . . well, because that's where it happened in the comics. No reason for it.

Is there anyone in the city that hasn't seen Spidey with his mask off at this point? Christ, he even stands right above a crowd that's waiting for him and watches with his mask off. Never mind that it makes no sense for him to remove his mask there, or that most of the crowd was looking up hoping to spot him on his way. Hell, they're all looking to the right, and he was off to the left, so I guess his identity's still safe.

Okay, so Peter forgives Sandman for killing his uncle. So he just lets him go? Doesn't he still have to go to jail for all the rest of the shit he's done? He escaped from jail, and killed who knows how many people in his rampage through the city. But no, Peter sorted out his own personal shit with him, so that's all that matters.

Put it this way: I own the first two movies on DVD. I bought them as soon as they came out. I'm not even renting this when it comes out. What a fucking waste.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

iJim wrote:

What is the difference between story sentimentality and actual sentimentality...What does that mean?

The best I can offer is "tone." Which I feel is only a slightly more insightful description than "magic."

*shrug*

I dunno how other people define it, but I consider it to mainly be scenes that go too far and pile on the emotion just to get a stronger emotional response from the audience. Usually it's pushed too far and the scene ends up feeling hollow and fake. Contrived. Manipulative.

It's like...  in "The Fountain" there's a scene where Tom snaps at Izzy and Izzy goes off on her walk alone. It's played really low key, buy Tom clearly and immediately regrets doing it. The audience feels that and that's all that's needed. The overly sentimental version of that scene would have some sad song start playing as Tom overacts his regret or his indecision about which path to choose, maybe he gets to the operating room door and then there's a closeup of his face as he looks back in the direction Izzy went with a sad expression. Maybe he takes out a photo of Izzy and touches it or whispers an apology to it or something... shit like that. That would feel fake and manipulative in that scene.

Which isn't to say that there's no sentimentality in that movie at all, but even the stuff that's in there is really low key or feels like a natural reaction to whatever's going on, be it the romantic happy scenes or the sad scenes or the self-doubting moments.

But that's just how I think of it, and you're right. Sometimes a hallmark card is nice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good commentary and I liked it a lot, especially Teague flipping out from time to time big_smile

Spiderman 3, to me, is just a mess of missed opportunity. It's like they had all this good source material, lessons on what not to do as well as good villains to work with-what could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, we all know the answer to that question.

In my opinion, Spidey 3 is just too much al packed in to one movie with no clear direction or focus. I honestly do not think I would have made it through the movie without having watched or read an other Spiderman material.

First of all, Venom, as many have said, is completely underused. Venom is probably the most iconic of the Spiderman villains and instead of getting his own movie, he is relegated to 3rd fiddle against Sandman and a poorly designed Green Goblin redux. Venom should have been the capstone villian, or a build up for a (dare I say it around Teague) 4th movie where Venom is the villian and is tearing around Manhattan in a brand new alien suit. The fact that Spiderman is powerless against him provides a little more character motivation.

Secondly, Peter's transformation as being close to bad is not even close to frightening or shows any risk. In all honesty, I think the animated show presented the the Venom arc much better. Instead, we get the unintentionally funny scenes of him "going to far" or something like that.

Lastly, if you are going to introduce conflicting love interest, shouldn't there be some chemistry between the characters?

All and all, I think DiF did a great job reviewing this movie. I could say more, but I think I will leave that to the commentators big_smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I dunno how other people define it, but I consider it to mainly be scenes that go too far and pile on the emotion just to get a stronger emotional response from the audience. Usually it's pushed too far and the scene ends up feeling hollow and fake. Contrived. Manipulative.

Right. Anybody can write a scene where a kid grieves over an injured dog and immediately jerk some tears, but earning an emotional payoff means building up characters that the audience doesn't automatically care about and yet making them care about the things (good OR bad) happening to those characters.

And you rarely need to actually play out a scene where a character grieves or whatever, anyway. Playing the action the character takes because of the emotion is usually stronger and less manipulative.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

To be fair to the scientists in that scene, they didn't say, "It's a bird, it being in there won't affect the test." They said something to the effect of, "It's probably just a bird; it'll fly away before the experiment starts." Use of the word "probably" is still a totally fair complaint.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will not

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2011/10/medium_hidinghomer.gif

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I cannot see pictures from this movie without thinking of Teague and his hatred...

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/91/78/16dea11d002430db782c682978e8a91c-5-movie-superheroes-who-suck-and-who-should-replace-them.jpg

and yet, this is so Teague.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

this commentary isn't on iTunes can you fix it?

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimbo wrote:

this commentary isn't on iTunes can you fix it?

It was fixed

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam Raimi admits he messed up with SPIDER-MAN 3 (and OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL) on the Nerdist Podcast.

https://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/nerdis … sam-raimi/

Sam Raimi: It’s a movie that just didn’t work very well. I tried to make it work, but I didn’t really believe in all the characters, so that couldn’t be hidden from people who loved Spider-Man. If the director doesn’t love something, it’s wrong of them to make it when so many other people love it. I think [raising the stakes after SPIDER-MAN 2] was the thinking going into it, and I think that’s what doomed us. I should’ve just stuck with the characters and the relationships and progressed them to the next step and not tried to top the bar …

Sam Raimi: [But] directors don’t like to talk about their bad films.

Chris Hardwick: I don’t think that ‘bad’ is the right word.

Sam Raimi: Awful!