Topic: Iron Man 2

Like my doodles? I really hope I get my laptop back this week.

Here's Ryan's amazing video review.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Iron Man 2

That is hilarious. They should all be like that from now on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LOL, I thought it was a comment on how seemingly half-assed and flippant Iron Man 2 was put together. smile

P.S. Glad to see Ryan's review represented here. I have a friend who is a graphic designer (he's done work on Spider-Man 2 promotional material with Dr. Pepper, and ad designs for Blockbuster, and the cover art for the Open Range DVD) and has recently started doing photos and life casts of nude models. Anyway, he loved Iron Man 2 (You think you know someone and then...) and I tried to show him Ryan's video. He had a cable hooked up to a big TV, connected to his iPhone so we could watch the YouTube vid. We got as far as the mention about the old footage of Howard Stark, before there was a connection/download problem and we couldn't watch the rest. He just responded with, "I disagree with pretty much everything that guy said." When the thing about Iron Man getting a new suit design for shallow and unknown reasons came up, he yelled, "IT'S IN THE COMIC!" as if that was the great, big justifier and winner of the argument.

Last edited by johnpavlich (2011-11-28 07:40:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is it me, or does Teague start out sounding a tad...  like he had a glass or two already? wink

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was on painkillers.

I swear to god I'm not slowly dying before your ears.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

When the thing about Iron Man getting a new suit design for shallow and unknown reasons came up, he yelled, "IT'S IN THE COMIC!" as if that was the great, big justifier and winner of the argument.

From fan commentaries on Thor and Captain America, it is somewhat, given what the movies are trying to do. Is this the first time a studio has tried to create a coherent, multi-film universe? They gave lots of mention to things put in that only make sense if you see earlier or later films. Not pointless things for fanboys, but important details that you're just not going to understand unless fully committed to what Marvel was doing. Now, the example you give probably is just bad writing, but I'm kind of looking at all these as "experimental" movies. They're trying to do something new-ish, and while the results may end up sucking I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Although I certainly had plot issues with IM2 (Stark's dad can't connect with his son, so he builds an Expo in the shape of a new molecule so that years later... oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed), it was absolutely the Avengers commercial that ruined it for me.

As I said in another thread, I came to the first Iron Man movie knowing absolutely nothing about the character (I thought he was an alien or a mutant or something).  But the movie explained who he was and then he had a little adventure, and it was fun. 

IM2 started off well enough, picking up where the first one left off and telling a new story - but then suddenly some characters showed up from another movie that hadn't even been made yet.  I could literally FEEL the movie waiting for me to say "It's Eyepatch Blackdude and Vinyl Somersault, squeeee!" when Sam Jackson and Scarlett (Move over, Drew Barrymore) Johannson came on screen.  But I did not know who they were, I still don't know who they were, and I resent them using up a half hour of screentime when I paid to see a movie about Iron Man.   

If the movie had spent some time explaining why these characters are cool, it might have worked.  Instead, they all sat and had coffee in a donut shop.  It was like watching cosplayers kill time between Comic-Con panels.  Nice outfit, man - who are you supposed to be?

I get that there's a movie called the Avengers coming out, and it's some kind of Marvel Supergroup, and it's interesting that they're building up to it with this multi-movie shared-universe thing.   But only the first Iron Man has bothered to actually be a complete movie.  I just watched Captain America, and it's 3/4s of a fun flick (Joe Johnston is great with period superhero stuff, Rocketeer was great too).  But Captain America doesn't even have an ending, it just stops, and says "See you at the Avengers!"   

I admit I haven't seen Thor because... well frankly because I'm a grown man.  And if they're gonna reboot Hulk yet again with Mark Ruffalo (are they actually gonna do that?  I'm afraid to check) I'm not seeing that one either (see:Thor).   But then they're done, right?  At some point the actual Avengers movie will come out, I hope?

Which I may or may not see, but I'm still looking forward to it - because at least then Marvel will stop making two-hour commercials to tell me how great the Avengers is going to be.

Mileage varies, but the first red flag for me was the toxicity level reveal in the first 5 minutes.  Second one was the congressional hearing at the ten minute mark.  Third was the Monaco sequence.  The issues pile was gathering long before any Avengers made the screen.  In fact, if you know nothing of the characters, than you wouldn't know ScarJo is an Avenger until the scene where Nick Fury appears, which is over halfway through the movie.  If little bothered you before that, awesome.  But in my mind the Avengers was the least of that movie's problems.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't have anything relevant to say about Iron Man 2, but Thor was worth seeing for Chris Hemsworth and his rather fetching biceps. I understand this argument may not be relevant to Trey.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Transformers 3 is almost as bad as Transformers 2. The Chicago stuff is cool, but the whole movie is so dumb.

Also, Thor is to the Avengers as Superman is to the Justice League.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-QHvrLCn/0/L/i-QHvrLCn-XL.jpg

ALSO also, And I Must Scream isn't what Teague said it is.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2011-11-29 02:18:21)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All sequels are problematic, IM2 no less than any other.  But although the execution was far from perfect, there was a story there that was interesting to me.  It started by saying "Okay, so now you're a superhero with no secret identity.  Let's look at the dark side of that."  Which is a fun idea, certainly not often seen in superhero movies.

The Hero's Journey construction is about the low rising to a high place because of their strengths.  Tragedy is about the high falling low because of their faults, and the first half of Iron Man 2 hit all the notes.  Some notes were a little off, but close enough for me, and if there's anyone that I'd pick to play a superhero falling from grace, it's RDJr.

While "palladium toxicity" is bogus and magic-bean-y (and harder to say than "flux capacitor"), it's no more so than the Arc reactor or the suit itself.  I rolled with that because it worked thematically.  The very thing that makes the world adore him - and he clearly thrives on that -  is also killing him.   Yeah, kinda on the nose, but at least it was a way to demonstrate his addictive personality beyond just seeing him get drunk ALL the time.    Tony'd rather die than give up being Iron Man, gotcha. 

We get some hints that this comes from never getting validation from his dad... eh, okay.   It's no wonkier than those movies about the guy with the bat fetish, and I'm okay with those, too.

Meanwhile Mickey Rourke is in Russia, resenting Tony's usurping of the fame that should have gone to his own family.   He formulates a plan, not to kill Tony, but to turn the public against him.  Because he too understands that the adoration means more to Tony than his life.   Lookee there - plot, character and theme all lined up.  Somewhere William Goldman is smiling.  Well, except during the jokes about Rourke's "bourrdd".

The congressional hearing made sense because now that the world knows who Iron Man is, it's reasonable to ask if a drunken loose-cannon playboy should have sole control of a superweapon.  (If Lindsay Lohan were to develop nuclear capability, why yes, I WOULD like some Congressional oversight, thank you.)  Tony laughs it off, charms his way out the door, ignores the very real threat of having his toys taken away.  So far so good.  The downward spiral is underway.

I, too, was offended by the Monaco sequence, because it reeked of "Look how big our budget is this time!" And Favreau's limo heroics were doofy, but all movies gotta have their "trailer moments" I guess.  But story-wise, I just would have preferred a sharper demonstration of "making God bleed" than just scorching the paint job on Tony's suit.  Right idea, but not the best execution.

But then things get mostly back on track, in that Tony goes completely off the rails to the point that even his closest allies abandon him. and he ends up in a brawl with his best buddy and destroying his own house.   My main complaint here is that he never REALLY hits rock bottom - I would have preferred he lose his suit completely, not just one of the spares.   And it turns out his house wasn't that badly wrecked after all, it's still intact enough for him to go back to and cobble up another batch of pseudo-science later.  Better if he had had to start all over again from nothing, like in the Afghan cave.

So yeah - not perfect, but at least there's a story there, and a structure that's mostly holding up.   Story-wise, it's time for Tony to realize what he's been doing wrong, pull his shit together, and go save Christmas.

But instead some strangers show up and solve most of Tony's problems over a cup of coffee because they are Just That Awesome.  Scarlett gives him an anti-palladium injection that she happens to have, and then Sam literally sends Tony to his room with orders not to come out until he's learned his lesson.  And just to speed things along, he gives Tony a box full of Instant Daddy-Issue Remover.

This is the very definition of deus ex machina.   Up until this point , Iron Man 2 was certainly not perfect, but at least it was about Iron Man, and it was headed in a certain direction.  Once the Avengers crash the party, it's all about getting this movie over with so Iron Man can go be in their movie. Sam Jackson literally SAYS that there are more important things going on elsewhere.  Nice, guys - way to undercut whatever tension there was in the movie I'm watching.

So Tony makes a new improved flux capacitor (because his dad designed the Expo grounds in the shape of a... the hell with it, it doesn't actually matter), then fights a bunch of robots.  Meanwhile across town Scarlett Johansson does gymnastics and then deus'es another machina, typing heroically for great justice.  Stuff explodes a lot, the end.

And thus Tony's self-destructive tendencies, and the entire issue of what happens when the common folk see God bleed and realize their hero is fallible, are resolved by ignoring the fact that the first half of the movie was about those things.

So yeah - Iron Man 2 was never likely to be as good as the first, but few sequels are.  But The Avengers sure didn't HELP.

We've got to get this guy on DIF at some point.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nah, I'd just talk too much and interrupt everybody.  Thanks, though!

I get what you're saying, and again, mileage varies.  Fr me, it wasn't the absence of a story, just the sheer directionlessness of it.  Let me ask you this, though.  If his awesome friends don't come to help, in the scenario crafted by Favreau/Theroux how was he going text out of it?  Yes, Marvel wanted Avengers in there, but they didn't specifically dictate the manner with which those elements are introduced.  The way I've been told Marvel handles this is by presenting the writer with a list of things that have to be satisfied.  It's up to the creative team of each film how they want to incorporate it.  At the end of the day, Jon and Justin wrote that film, and made the decisions with how Tony Stark interacts with those wacky friends of his.  Maybe your issue is with the Avengers stuff, but I still think it falls to Jon to make that stuff work, and I think it's certainly possible to do so.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I couldn't say what Favreau would do, and it's certainly possible there would have been an Avenger-free deus ex machina just as bad as the one we got.   I don't blame the Avengers for that nonsense about the sidewalks of the Expo being the shape of a molecule, either, I suspect that was always there...same for that really lame moment where Dad tells his son on film that he believes in him when his son was freakin SIX YEARS OLD at the time.   Eeeesh.

I'll tell you what I'd have done, though, off the top of my head... is just follow the string all the way out.    Tony loses everything, is dying and in disgrace.  And then make him get himself back together just by sheer force of will, rather than by having Dad return from the grave to say he loves him.    He puts on the thrashed suitcase suit that barely works, and sets out to stop the massacre at the Expo before he drops dead from palladium-itis because it doesn't matter if anybody loves him, he's still FUCKING IRON MAN.

Which then causes all his allies to become allies again when they see him fighting the good fight, robots get blowed up as before, and Russian guy learns too late that it doesn't matter if the Who's in Whoville love Tony or not, it's still Christmas.   Because why the hell do a movie tracing the steps of the classic fall from grace, if you don't do the back half and tell the redemption part?   If we're doing the classics, then let's DO them.

Sure, it's possible that Favreau wasn't heading that way, and maybe it's just coincidental that the Avengers show up just when the movie would have gone from shaky to shapeless anyway.  I still say they sure don't HELP matters any.    If they have to be there then bring them in at the end, after Tony earns his victory.  Just like in the first movie. They could give Tony the magic injection and then say "hey, if you'd just stop killing yourself, we'd still like to talk to you about something."   

Iron Man 2 still probably wouldn't have been a great movie, but at least they could have let it be its OWN movie.

My credentials seem to expand every time Teague retells the lightsaber power requirements story. Apparently now I was writing a thesis, maybe next time I get to be a professor. Anyway, taking the clip from TPM where Qui-Gon is melting through the blast door and making some assumptions, you can do some math and figure out possible power requirements for a lightsaber, a number I recall being in the realm of 300 Megawatts, which, in comparison, is more than enough to power an aircraft carrier.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

I don't have anything relevant to say about Iron Man 2, but Thor was worth seeing for Chris Hemsworth and his rather fetching biceps.

And Natalie Portman.

I think from Favreau and Theroux's point of view, Tony couldn't pull himself together on his own. But money and (for some reason) love are out as external motivators, and Tony seems to be unaware that he has a rivalry with Sam Rockwell. So SHIELD was looking pretty good.

But the first half was already wobbly. Rockwell and Ivan have the same goal of taking Tony down, and thematically they should be foils for him, so they should have their shit together, not be butting heads. But really, Rockwell isn't necessary. And Rhodey's decision to steal a multibillion-dollar technology and give it to Tony's rival is bizarre. In any sane movie, that would be the heel turn that provides the main conflict. But they had just done the whole betrayal/fight-your-own-invention thing in the first movie.

IM2 should have been about Tony's spiral, with Whiplash as the villain—and suffering from the same palladium toxicity as Tony. Whiplash attacks him at the track, where he has no suit, and again later and is captured by War Machine and the mysterious Black Widow after Tony fails because he's drunk.

Rhodey hides all of Tony's suits (and car keys) and shows Tony what a pathetic, bitter, dying drunk Ivan is. Tony pulls himself together with help from Pepper and Rhodey and old films of his dad. Tony solves the palladium problem with help from Natasha. Then Ivan escapes cleverly and fights him and Black Widow and ends up dying in Tony's arms even tho Tony is trying to get him surrender so he can be cured. Roll credits...and Sam Jackson shows up and reveals that Black Widow is working for him and so should Iron Man.

Last edited by Zarban (2011-11-30 03:55:38)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

ShadowDuelist is a god.

There. Now it's all downhill from here.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My biggest problem with IM2 is Mickey Rourke's atrocious performance. Then the film is mostly directionless as it meanders from one subplot to another. It simplies tries to tell too many stories at once and isn't really about anything as a result. I still remember thinkin half way through - where is this going? what story are you telling me? The cameo of two Avengers is the least of this movie's problems in my view.

It should have just been about Tony's approaching death and his inability to keep things under control, like Trey suggested above. It certainly didn't need some completely over the top villain with senseless motivation. I love how him and his father have been slumming it up and cursing the Starks all the years... whilst sitting on the schematics of revolutionary technology.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

ShadowDuelist is a god.

There. Now it's all downhill from here.

Well, at least I hit the maximum attainable peak.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wonder how much all of the tie in content from other movies will actually help Avengers. Are they really going to ease the mental gymnastics that the average movie goer that isn't well versed in the Marvel universe will have perform to accept that this is on some level possible? Just off the top of my head there's the Arc Reactor, super soldier serum, vibranium, the cosmic cube, aliens and whatever the Hulk is, that's 6 magic beans. I have disturbingly strong suspension of disbelief so I can't adequately determine if breaking up the beans into different movies makes them more digestible to normal people so someone else will have to figure that out. I think that it might have been easier to just make the Avengers first and push it in to wonderland territory where science is just fucking loony like that. But that might fuck up doing movies about the characters origin stories now that I think about it.

Last edited by Joe (2011-12-03 16:50:29)

With science!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Was the Disney merger/acquisition during production? If it did, could have been a problem of suddenly having twice as many creative executives and middle managers swoop in on a project in production to prove their worth.

Last edited by paulou (2011-12-03 21:08:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Joe wrote:

I wonder how much all of the tie in content from other movies will actually help Avengers. Are they really going to ease the mental gymnastics that the average movie goer that isn't well versed in the Marvel universe will have perform to accept that this is on some level possible? Just off the top of my head there's the Arc Reactor, super soldier serum, vibranium, the cosmic cube, aliens and whatever the Hulk is, that's 6 magic beans.

I think that we can excuse the arc reactor, the serum, and certainly vibranium as Movie Science. Or maybe we can link them because they all come from Howard Stark, and "genius movie scientist" isn't really a magic bean. The Cosmic Cube is the closest thing that the universe has to a true magic bean (or maybe it's more of a Macguffin, because it's the thing that everyone wants and, as far as we know, it's nothing but a glowing box). The magic/science that comes from Thor's world is the most absurd thing, and since Loki is the villain of The Avengers, that will probably be the magic bean.

Pop culture has been accepting the Marvel Universe and its countless magic beans for a while. And even people who don't know anything about it will acknowledge that, since it's a comic book movie about superheroes, things are going to be ridiculous.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well for the most part yes, but that's in comics primarily comics and cartoons where the weird stuff happens. I've noticed for the most part the movies at least try to tone things down a little and for the most part stick to villains running on the same magic bean. The X-Men fight other mutants, Batman fights other crazy people and the Punisher fight other guys with guns. That's a tad more believable than Spider-Man teaming up with Rocket-Raccoon in order to fight Thanos... which I would love to see Dreamworks do an animated version of.

With science!

Thumbs up Thumbs down