Topic: David Cameron: Make more commercial films

I've noticed there's a fair few more Brits on the board of late so I figured I'd bring this up.

A couple of weeks ago David Cameron, a man who likes to go on TV and do Prime Minister impressions went to Pinewood Studios and told the British film industry to invest more in commercial films and less on artistic stuff.

That's right the man who failed to win the last election is telling us what's popular.

Essentially it boils down to "The Kings Speech did good, make more" because a stammering monarch was box office fodder from the get go which is why the script was rejected by the BBC and several other places before being picked up.

frankly I think they would be better off making distribution for British films easier, they'd make more money if most had more then a week in art house cinemas with no advertising. Something like quotas that television has to work with that X amount of programming mustn't be imports would do more good then making 'safe' film in the hope that it is commercial. Like every other film a the multiplex.

thoughts?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: David Cameron: Make more commercial films

So in England "The King's Speech" is considered a commercial film???  smile

I don't have any numbers but It was in cinemas for months doing great business with old folks who haven't been to see a film since George VI was on the throne!

I would be all for more movies of that caliber. If he means "make more coherent movies that have real plots and stuff and fewer films that are about plastic statues of jesus being covered in honey and carpenter ants and then set on fire...  or stuff like "Trash Humpers", then yeah, I'd say do that. "Art film" is such a broad thing now. Here in the states, The King's Speech is considered by many to be more of an arthouse film because it's a period drama with a bit of comedy and nobody explodes or gets shot in the face. There's no ten minute sequence where plucky teens in sports cars evade an invading force of cyborg aliens.

Make more movies like "King's Speech" or "Harry Brown" or "Brassed Off" and people - even people in the US - will watch it. If he means he wants you to make 2012 or Stargate, then tell him to shove off.

If that's what you guys consider to be commercial, then what's considered "arthouse"? I'm legitimately curious about this. Not that I think Harry Brown is particularly arthouse, but it's gotten to the point now where you would go to what is traditionally an arthouse theater to see something like a Harry Brown or a Brassed Off. I personally find it pretty depressing. What's playing in the arthouse theaters there right now?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

What's playing in the arthouse theaters there right now?

Ralph Finnes' directed Shakespear adaptation, a Singapore animation, Shame, The Artist and a collection of slapstick comedy shorts.

King's speech is also a commercial film here in Australia. Then again, we think The Castle was a pretty big success, and Animal Kingdom, and Tomorrow, When the War begins did good business too.

I don't think Cameron is in any position to dictate taste.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

What's playing in the arthouse theaters there right now?

Ralph Finnes' directed Shakespear adaptation, a Singapore animation, Shame, The Artist and a collection of slapstick comedy shorts.

If there were a theater here that was playing that line-up I'd be in heaven. The nearest theater to me that would consider playing any of that stuff is about 100 miles away. I've got one screen playing The Artist right now and one screen playing The Iron Lady and that's as arthouse as it usually gets around here. I'm kinda surprised they're playing The Artist. I'll have to go see it, as I didn't think it would play...

Also, I think in the case of The King's Speech, a lot of the perceived 'smallness' of that movie here has probably more to do with the weird way they rolled it out. It started on a couple dozen screens, then rolled into a hundred or so, then rolled onto a few hundred, etc. There was an article here about how they were thinking about cutting it down to a PG-13 because they were disappointed at the returns they were seeing on it.

The problem with that was that it was, at that time, being played on about 800 screens and was currently in 3rd on the weekend charts. It was making more than the #1 and #2 movies per theater combined, and they thought people weren't going to see it because of the rating. If they had opened it on a couple thousand screens in the beginning, they probably would have made a hell of a lot more money than they did. I don't think they ever had it playing on more than 1500 screens at once, tho, and by that time it had been out for almost two months.

It was, for the first month of release, the only film on the charts that was consistently going up at least a couple spots every weekend. It started out at #14 or something and after a month was sitting at #2 or 3. You don't often see that, and it was particularly weird in this case due to the fairly large amount of buzz surrounding it prior to it's release.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-01-24 02:43:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do you have a link to a news article? I'm not really inclined to believe your version of what Cameron said in light of your biased attitude!

And it's a logical argument. If the British film industry wants to be successful and grow, then it needs to make films that appeal on a commercial as well as award level.

I agree. For too long now, British films have remained in this 'we only do period dramas or Mike Leigh-like films' mindset and it was not always so.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/1 … ry-funding

that's what the guardian say but they're probably a bit bias as well, I tried finding a daily mail article for you but they just seem angry that anyone is getting money wink

It's all well and good saying make less arty stuff and more commercial stuff but if anyone knew what that meant we wouldn't have flops like Happy Feet 2.

FixedR6 wrote:

Then again, we think The Castle was a pretty big success.

It kind of was, $10m off a $19,000 budget.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd be happy with the UK making a solid series of small budget comedies and dramas like The Full Monty, Waking Ned Divine, Trainspotting, Secrets and Lies, Shaun of the Dead, and sensual coming of age films set in girls boarding schools.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

The Artist is absolutely fuckin fantastic.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down