Topic: Anyone read 'Writing Movies for Fun and Profit'?

almost done with it.  Reading the outlines in the appendix.  Curious if anyone here has read it.

It was an odd choice for me, since I have (well had) no real interest in writing screenplays, but thought i'd pick it up since i love Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant.

They break down the process pretty well, ranging from the outlining process to the different parking lots at the studios and what that means for you.

Since it's all about writing tentpole movies, they break it down from a studio perspective (and what they want/expect) vs. treating it like art.

I'd love to hear thoughts from the various writers on here, if they agreed with it, points of contention, etc.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Anyone read 'Writing Movies for Fun and Profit'?

Also read the book from a general filmmaking interest perspective, and throughly enjoyed it. It's a manual for everything a capital-H-Hollywood screenwriter has to deal with that isn't screenwriting.

Refreshing to see authors so plainly say something to the effect of, "We love independent films too, but this book isn't about those kinds of movies".

For anyone that isn't familiar with the book, the chapter titles are stuff like "Martin Lawrence Has a Few Thoughts or How to Take Notes from a Movie Star", "Why Does Almost Every Studio Movie SUCK Donkey Balls?", "Credit$", and "Herbie: Fully Loaded".

Last edited by paulou (2012-02-15 20:14:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also -

True Hollywood Horror Stories

"We got to pitch to legendary comic Billy Crystal!"

"Dick"

(that's the entire page)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, and the part where they list the addresses of every In-n-Out of Los Angeles County.

That book rocks. Everyone go buy it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also -

True Hollywood Horror Stories

"We got to pitch to legendary comic Billy Crystal!"

"Dick"

(that's the entire page)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've not read it yet, but I've thoroughly fucking enjoyed every interview with Tom Lennon I've ever heard.

I highly recommend this one, but any of these video below will make you feel good in your groin. Fun thing he mentions in the aforelinked audio interview, though, is "you know what I've noticed about the mega-famous people I've met? All of them are incredibly nice. The lesser A-listers and B-listers, much more likely to find a dick."

Anyway. Interviews. This one, for instance, is actually an interview about the book.

And finally, here's way too much Kevin Pollak and a lot of Tom Lennon. Skip to 10:07.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed... he's always a good interview.   I recently listened to him on one of the nerdist podcasts (i think it was Making it) where he talked about making sure you write all the time.  Only about 10% of your writing will be good, but if you are always writing, that 10% will have significantly more material than the average persons 10%.

a super simple concept, but for some reason just clicked for me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I picked a copy after being very entertained by a podcast they did to promote it with (i think?) Creative Screen writing magazine.

I read it more for the stuff about working for the studios then as another 'How-To' guide but they did have some very interesting point on their writing process of outlining and writing alternate scenes.

It's a bloody good read very few people manage to make the subject entertaining

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I shall have to pick this one up. I hope his book is more entertaining than his movies, tho.

Thumbs up Thumbs down