Topic: Titanic

It's this thing.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Titanic

Show notes for Titanic.  Our hearts will go on and on.

Get Titanic at the Down in Front Store!

RMS Titanic

Starship Troopers on DVD, or Blu-ray.

Digital Domain: The Leading Edge of Visual Effects on Amazon.com

James Cameron at TED: Before Avatar ... a curious boy

Titanic’s final resting spot, 2.5 miles down

Shots where you see both submersibles are models shot dry for wet

Ghosts of the Abyss on Amazon.com

Aliens of the Deep on Amazon.com

Akademik Mstislav Keldysh

Gloria Stuart

John Jacob Astor IV

Set up / Pay off

William GoldmanWhich Lie Did I Tell? , Adventures in the Screen Trade , The Big Picture: Who Killed Hollywood? and Other Essays
Teague: Big Picture has his Titanic essay in it along with the What's wrong with Private Ryan essay, and other delights

David Warner

Irony

Blake SnyderSaveThe Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need

Save the cat moment

Jeanette Goldstein

Van Ling

Banned from the Ranch

Pablo Picasso paintings

Edgar Degas paintings

Margaret “Molly The Unsinkable” Brown

From Trey:  My glitch for this mission was that I incorrectly identified [the actor portraying Captain Edward James "E.J." Smith] as the late Edward Woodward, when the role was actually played by the still very alive Bernard Hill.    The Times regrets the error.

Ugnaught

Morlock

Stock Footage

Cameron’s Oscar speech

Hanging a lantern

The Polar Bear Club

Russell Carpenter

Bernard Fox

Follow Down in Front on Twitter!

Billy Zane

Robert Ballard

J. Bruce Ismay

Jonathan Phillips portrays 2nd officer Charles Lightoller, the most senior surviving officer

I’m On A Boat

Caviar

Fugu fish

The band at the third class party is Gaelic Storm

Titanic on Box Office Mojo

Box Office Mojo All Time Box Office Domestic Grosses Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Stanford Prison Experiment

Nearer, My God, to Thee

Photo of boy with top on the Titanic

Anachronism (since we keep using the word)

Kate Winslet, enjoy!

Children from Hell

TED Talks: Lewis Pugh swims the North Pole

Glycerin

Pink Five

Patton Oswalt – Sky Cake, off of My Weakness is Strong

The commentary picks up disc / tape 2 at 1:54:41

CQD

The Law of Unintended Consequences

Montezuma's Revenge

Ioan Gruffudd portrays 5th Officer Harold Lowe

Godwin's law

Muse –  Uprising, from The Resistance

Titanic’s band

Ewan Stewart portrays 1st Officer William Murdock

The real J. Dawson

Suction or aeration?

Focus puller

Translight

Liam Tuohy portrays Chief Baker Charles Joughin

Trapcode Particular

Day for night

ND (neutral density) filter

Rods & Cones

Come Josephine In My Flying Machine

Exploitation film

The stock market crash of 1929

Titanic Sound track, Music by James Horner

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2010-03-27 22:03:43)

I hain't listened to it yet, 'cause my iTunes just grabbed it — so no spoilers! — but I gotta say. A 202-minute podcast about a 194-minute film? You guys really didn't spend a lot of extra time on this one, huh? Sit down, get serious, 'cause there's a hell of a lot of movie to watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The only thing I liked about this film were the boobies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You said that already, Teague.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9792/sharkn.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I gotta say, I was so glad to hear you guys give some love to this movie. Cause I'm man enough to admit that I saw "Titanic" seven times in the theater. I'm not kidding, I really did. The first few time was mostly fueled by the trailer, the second time was so I could absorb what blew me away the first time. The third time I got it to see it in 70mm with THX sound in a great theater that doesn't exist any more. And the freakin' fourth through seventh times were just for the sheer joy of it.

I forget who said it. It might've been one of my friends, or it might have been a reviewer or something. But the point made was that the movie was so skillfully made that by the time the iceberg showed up, I was genuinely surprised and horrified. I fell for every cheap trick the movie pulled, and I dug that.

Like you guys pointed out, there are plenty of things to criticize about the movie. But at least for me, the ways the movie works far outweigh the things that don't succeed. Even though it became fashionable to hate on it, I think despite its flaws it's a genuinely good movie.

One thing was pretty funny though, at least to me at the time. I remember back in 95 or 96, some stills from the movie's visual effects made it into some industry magazine or other. I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Cinefex," but it was something in that genre. And we passed them around the shop I was working in at the time, and laughed because they were so cheap-looking. Turns out they were stills from the animated exposition scene at the beginning of the film. When I got to see the whole thing in theaters, I was duly impressed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

im curious about the top films of all time. Those are not actually adjusted for inflation. Those are bodies in the theater.

Im curious if

a. the cost of going to the theater back then was the same adjusted for inflation. Meaning I bet inflation considered that the cost of going to the movies was more like 5 bucks back than the 10 bucks in current dollars.

b. some of those movies didnt have what we would consider a limted theaterical run. I think gone with the wind was in theaters for 30 years. Hence blowing up its number so high.

Enjoyed the movie when it came out. I heard all the super flop talk before its release and went to see it for the "waterworld effect" . I was blown away. I cried like a girl and  good manipulative movies do that to me. I think i saw it three times total in the cinema. loved it each time.

Last edited by Twig24 (2010-03-24 07:44:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're right that ticket prices aren't directly tied to inflation - the Boxofficemojo list is actually based on a formula that calculates ticket prices in a given year.   And for extra fun you can adjust it to any year - Avatar's 1939-era gross is just over 22 million dollars, Gone With The Wind in 2010 comes to more than 1.5 billion, and that's just in the US.

And it's true that GWTW and other pre-1980's movies ran for longer than modern movies - while Gone With The Wind wasn't in release for 30 years, it didn't even go into what we'd now call "wide" release until 1941.   When I was a kid, the local theater ran The Sound of Music for well over a year - so long that they painted a big mural of Julie Andrews on the side of their building.    And Star Wars was in theaters for more than a year in its first release as well.

But although in the olden days movies stayed in the theaters longer, they also ran on fewer screens in a country with a then-smaller population.     The movie multiplex didn't exist until the '60's, and was still a rarity when Star Wars opened in a whopping 12 theaters nationwide in 1977. 

So it was months before you could just walk up to the one theater in Washington DC where Star Wars was playing and buy a ticket for the next show.  Until then you were lucky to get a ticket two or three shows in advance, if the whole day wasn't sold out already by the time you got there.    And if it was, your only option was to hop on a plane to New York, which was the next closest theater where it was playing.   Believe it or not.

Nowadays movies open on thousands of screens at once, so people have easier access to new releases - but if the movie's not a blockbuster then most of those seats are empty.    So I still think older movies' popularity can be validly compared to modern ones.  In them days we were just accustomed to having to wait a few months to see the latest popular flick, so while they ran longer, they also made their money more slowly.  And they only ran longer if the audiences kept showing up.   

Really, the reason that Gone With the Wind can never be beaten is it didn't have to compete with television and home video and the internet for its audience.   That's a handicap that no modern movie can overcome.

By the way, I'm working on a plan to make a movie and charge a billion dollars per ticket.   Sure, that's high, but I only need to sell one ticket to tie with Avatar for the biggest movie evarrr.

Not. Getting. Into. This.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My main memory of Titanic from back when it came out is actually the Star Wars fanfilm, Tie-tanic, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsvj0TmBlO4

I never knew it was popular to dislike the movie. I just resented it for bumping SW out of the top box office seat. Thanks for bringing it back and reminding me that yeah, it made all that money because it's such a jawdropping film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not a huge fan of Titanic, rather, I'm not a fan of the first half of Titanic. The love story does nothing for me but once the iceberg makes its show stealing appearance, I think it's a much better film. And there's no denying the frickin' awesomeness of the FX.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liked this one alot but found myself irrationally thinking I didn't following Cameron's oscar speech and the overwhelming hype.  I haven't seen this in a long, long time, possibly a decade now, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this commentary.

I'd attribute the success of the movie to its universal appeal, managing to get that teenage girl demographic didn't hurt either.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And teenage boy. It doesn't take a genius to put Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet's boobies in a movie, but apparently nobody thought of that.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just wanted to throw in that, the idea of suction pulling someone down is a myth(also confirmed by the bakers account).

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode11

Thumbs up Thumbs down

i like the outliers reference in the commentary lol tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

David Warner was in two Titanic movies. A rare credit.

A friend of mine, Neil Gardner, is a radio producer in England and has not only worked with David Warner but is on quite good terms with him. Neil adapted the cult nonsense novel, The Brightonomikon, to an audio book and David Warner played a major character. The Novel is by Robert Rankin, a bit of a legend amongst the steampunk and nonsense community. Neil has also produced several Doctor Who and H.P. Lovecraft audios.

Where Geek Meets Goth

Like Independence Day I was kinda dismissive of Titanic. And wrongly so. So much effort was put into this flick and it definitely shows on the screen. DIF reminded me of that fact and I'm glad they did. They made me appreciate this movie. This has become one of my favorite commentaries too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/580592_286661704753408_100002287420291_644932_2073289491_n.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

But they establish that the plank would have sunk with the weight of both of them, so no.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am getting so fucking sick of that picture.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Someone call Mythbusters!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

But they establish that the plank would have sunk with the weight of both of them, so no.

Exactly, it was just a door, not a specially rigged floatation device. It absolutely would have sunk with more weight on it, it's basic physics, people.

Science!

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-05-27 08:52:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is kinda why I wanna see more older movies get re-released in theaters. In 2010 this was a commentary for a decade-old film, but now it's a commentary for a film that's in the theater right now. Now we can witness a whole new generation of young people pretend they didn't like the movie while secretly going to see it a half dozen times in the theater.

For me, I saw this flick three or four times in the theater. Jurassic Park still holds the record for amount of money taken from me in the theater.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Now we can witness a whole new generation of young people pretend they didn't like the movie while secretly going to see it a half dozen times in the theater.

What? People RAVED about that movie when it came out. I saw it with friends only because the effects were supposed to be revolutionary and despised it. It took years before other people started admitting that it's the story of a genuine historical tragedy with the absolute worst sort of fanciful, cloying romance stuck on top of it.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries