Re: Titanic

During production, it was cool to trash-talk the movie as a certain failure. Too expensive, it'll bankrupt the studio, etc.

Then when it was released, there was genuine admiration and critical respect.

Then it just kept on dominating the box office, month after month. When it got really popular with the masses and repeat viewings by teenage girls, it became cool to trash-talk it again as sign of snobbery. I'm much too sophisticated for this derivative, manipulative, sentimental pulp.

Then trashing the movie became so popular it was cool to praise it for its chutzpah, production values, and sheer audacity.

And so on. It's an insight into the human condition. If everyone loves what you love, then you don't feel a like a cutting edge hipster, so you gotta go do the opposite.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To avatar you listen.

And the same applies to Avatar (the movie, not the Dif poster).

it became cool to trash-talk it again as sign of snobbery.

Most popular movies never suffer a backlash. Titanic just sucks.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

pffft...  whatever. I used to like that avatar guy when he first started posting, but the more I see him post, the more I've realized that he's got some serious problems. People just like him cause it's the popular thing to do. Now Trey's all "avatar's all smart, you should listen to him" and whatever... Fuck that shit. I don't need Trey to tell me who I like or what comments to listen to.

Just kidding. I hope no one needs hidden text to get that I'm kidding, but it's here in case I need to point it out. I'm kidding. Seriously. This is a joke post.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was like that with Alien v Aliens. Everyone loved Aliens (it was so badass), so Alien had to be cooler movie for we refined discerning aesthetes.  Alien had atmosphere and production design, whereas Aliens was too mainstream and conventional. Now, after re-examining both from the production side of things, I have to acknowledge Aliens as the greater cinematic achievement. Sometimes the masses are right, and even though Cameron thinks he's Jesus Christ (same initials), I gotta (begrudgingly) give credit where it's due. That dude knows how to assemble a goddamn movie.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://redlettermedia.com/mr-plinkett-review-titanic/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Plinkett is getting worse at this, and padding more. It's really bumming me out.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep - it was all new a couple of years ago, now the jokes are rehashed. And the conclusion is something we already knew, so no new insights other than the many shot-for-shot 'homages' to previous Titanic movies. Props for the massive editing job to cut that all together.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks for this commentary, it kept me sane today while work was driving me crazy. And I love Titanic because I was a 15 year old girl when it came out... I had all the Leo posters on my wall, etc etc.

Nowdays, I look at it and wonder quite what it was that I saw in Leo's baby face, but I still love the movie. 2/3 of the way through your commentary, I popped over to YouTube and watched the original trailer, and discovered that it still gives me goosebumps.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Don't you say an unkind word about Leo's baby face, nah.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.theonion.com/articles/whenev … -of,37362/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down