Topic: THE LORD OF THE RINGS

This thread was initially posted a few days before the recording, for pre-discussion.

To jump to the after-release posts, click here.

So, as you might have heard, on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. PST (and going on probably until nearly midnight, the way these things tend to be) we're doing an all-day telethon stream commentary party session for ALL THREE Lord of the Rings extended editions.

It's gonna suck. But to alleviate suckitude, we're bringing out not just big guns - we're bringing out all the guns. Teague, Brian, Dorkman, Trey, Eddie, Ryan, Miki, Cloe, Anthony, Reedy, Chad, plus Holden, Paulou will be joining us live and in person, as will Seth Brower and Jeffery Harrell. We're the fucking fellowship. By the way, if you're in the LA area, shoot me a PM or an email and we'll see if we have room for ya. (Not on mic, but to hang out and all.)

Anyway, the stream will happen at the usual place, DIF Live, and it's gonna be a thing. A hell of a thing.

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but if you've been waiting for the right time to toss a couple bucks in the donation bucket, we're gonna be needing a lot of DIF fuel for this shit. (Pizza and alcohol.) Just a thought. Not askin, just sayin, etc..

You guys psyched?

Anyway, in the meantime, this would be a good place to toss links, excerpts, videos and dissertations on the Lord of the Rings. Stuff we can pull up at hour seven when we're completely out of shit to say. Anything interesting you've seen, fun facts, that kind of thing.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Ohh Emm Gee!!  big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not a fan of LOTRs.... I don't own the DVDs,..... But I might hang out just for the hell of it....  big_smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Ill be posting my menu later today so you can cook along if desired.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Shit has never gotten so real.

I'm going to try and do the whole thing with you guys as a show of solidarity. You'll have my axe, I suppose.

Get it? Ha. HA.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*salute*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll be there ALL DAY! I've already starting stocking up on snacks, luckily I got paid today, so huzzah for not going broke to afford it all!!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Fun fact? This episode of Down in Front is sponsored by Five Hour Energy and Redbull.

Question: how did Anthony Minghella's dislike of Demi Moore for 'The English Patient' lead to Bob Shaye greenlighting three LOTR movies?

I think one can get there in about 10 steps via Saul Zaentz, Mighty Joe Young, and the Weinsteins.

Just about all roads in Hollywood lead through the Weinsteins.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You'll have to point out Bret Mckenzie when he shows up. That should fill a good 30 seconds.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The time difference will make it hard for me to be with you guys all along. Plus, I won't be able to make it for the beginning. I hate it.

But I'll definitely show up in the chat. Probably around the beginning of the second movie. I won't be watching the movie, since I'll have missed the first one and I've been meaning to watch the three LotR movies again for ages.

Just to say hi. To the whole fucking gang. Awesome.

If I had an axe, Teague, you'd have it.

Last edited by Saniss (2012-03-08 22:09:31)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague already has my axe.

I want my god damn axe back, Teague!

Also, why I no can donate through paypal with my credit card sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't forget to mention that (first choice for Gandalf) Sean Connery turned down 10% of gross for these movies because he didn't want to live in NZ for a year and wear the silly wizard's hat.

That's right, he gave up $300M(!!!) to NOT see a beautiful country that most people fall in love with when they visit.

Must be the biggest declined offer of all time. Can anyone think of a bigger one?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Your mom and my balls.

/I am so sorry
//why would I say that

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whoa, I think we just got a visit from Dorkgollum...

dorkman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/09/zombiemom.jpg

No. Now she's Dorkman's.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh. My god. I am buying that book right now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Must you put your testicles everywhere?!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

LORD OF THE RINGS ALL DAY MARATHON MENU

It's a steady stream of calories.  Rich, but not too heavy.  I know there are several sites dedicated to Middle Earth cuisine, but my goal for this was more practical faire that simply took it's cues from certain scenes and characters.  It's like A Song of Ice and Fire where George RR Martin practically provides recipes for all the food of Westeros. 

I'm doing three mains, two snacks, and a dessert.  Two items from each movie roughly 2 hours apart each.  I will provide the menu today, and recipes tomorrow for those who give a shit.

Fellowship of the Ring

Bilbo's Cheesy Eggs with Butter Over Too Much Toast.  Bag's End welcomes you to a ridiculous degree.  Bilbo prepares his famous British-style Churried Egg, mixed with scallions and Creme Fraiche, over a thick cut of Sourdough...which probably could have used a little more butter.

Saruman's Eye of Palantir Prosciutto Melon Balls What dark mysteries can be foreseen...with this crisp and light blend of spring flavors!  A refreshing, salty-sweet palate cleanser lies in your future.

The Two Towers

Balrog's Battling Burgers of Shadow and Flame. From the depths of Moira lurks a forgotten horror: bold flavor.  Balrog's ground beef patties are forged with thick cut bacon chunks, smoked Paprika, and Sri Racha.  These burgers were too much for Gandalf the Grey, how about you?

Sam's PO-TA-TOES.  Boiled, Mashed, but NOT in a stew (too heavy after Balrog was done with us).  These crushed white potatoes are lightly mixed with Green Onions, fresh crab meat, and a light olive oil vinaigrette.  Served with seared cherry tomatoes, these are the perfect, light, mini meal on the go when traveling with your best friend and his twisted pet thing.

Return of the King

Deagol's "The One That Got Away."  Man, Deagol sure had a big one on the reel.  Had he got it in the boat (instead of finding the one rng and getting murdered) I'm certain him and Smeagol would have enjoyed a crispy skin on Arctic Char with toasted Seaweed Shavings, along with whatever else he dredged up.  Like Toasted Clams a la Genovesse and a micro green salad to go with it.  But no, he went the whole getting murdered route.

There and Back Again: An Almond's Tale.  Welcome back to the shire.  Most everything about your trip sucked, so relax with a guilt free yet delicious dessert of toasted almonds over strawberries and ricotta cheese.  Indulgent, yet low in fat and calories, which frankly, the other Hobbits should look more into.  I'm looking at YOU, Samwise.

So there you have it.  Full recipes sometime tomorrow.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And yes....I fully intend to plate and serve these with their corresponding scenes.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a lot of carbohydrates for the first two films, should we expect burpees in between discs?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow Eddie, I had no idea you were such the chef. That's pretty epic. I wish I could play along, but I'll be lucky if i can get a pizza for sat. hmm

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The menu makes me so happy.

On a much lamer/geekier food note, additional noshy snacks to be provided will be of the "what characters are actually eating onscreen" variety. To include:

-Bilbo's birthday cake
-Lembas bread
-Orc-draught
-Salted pork (ham)
-Denethor's dinner (roast chicken, bread, cheese, cherry tomatoes)
-Various booze (beer and wine)

There will also be champagne to celebrate completion of the quest and, I dunno, donuts and chips and stuff probably.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooooh Denethor's metaphoric dinner.  Nice get on that one.  And I cannot wait for Orc draught.  I consider your offering not lame at all, Mike.  Between what we both have planned we'll have some well fed commentary.

Last edited by Eddie (2012-03-09 01:54:43)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down