Re: THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Vincent: So you never wanted a regular type life?
Neil: What the fuck is that? Barbeques and ballgames?
Vincent: Yeah.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Posting these for the Crippler and anyone else who will get it.

I have a life too, Gregory, but I can multi-task. I plan to be tuned in the whole day WHILE I'm water-skiing with a naked model on my back.

http://current.com/community/89987117_r … photos.htm

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I sent a gift to the cast and crew to Teague.  I'll be listening in until I have to leave for my Mom's birthday dinner (which is Summer Shack, so, totally worth it).

Hopefully I'll have something of substance to say during the commentary...

Hobbit & LOTR were my over-and-over-again bedtime stories growing up.

I actually wrote a pitch to, and followed up by phone with, the Saul Zaents company in 1992. I insisted that the motion capture technology and computer animation at the time were up to the task, and that each chapter should be released separately in serial form before feature films.  I proposed that this would have gotten butts in the seats in movie theaters in unpreceneded numbers.  Not saying I was right, but if you were wondering who originally got this ball rolling...you're welcome.  ;-)

I'll be in and out of the chat.  Jackson earned my eternal venomous dislike by cutting "The scouring of the shire," the chapter of the book that properly brought home the Hobbits' respective arcs and killed Saruman in a satisfactory way.  Although I do own the extended DVDs, and grudgingly await the Hobbit films... Brilliant to break that book into two films. Bilbo could have two distinct arcs that way: getting the team to the lake with all hands alive, and then, DRAGON!!

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cutting the Scouring is the single best choice Jackson made.

Come at me bro.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I agree with Mike.  I didn't miss Bombadil either.

doty

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're all speaking in a foreign language!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

rtambree wrote:

8. Frodo = Jesus. Discuss. Both have mortal wounds in their sides, both 'die' saving all inhabitants of the world, both descend into Mordor/Hell, and are resurrected by an Eagle/Angel, and then leave this realm.

I agree with your other questions, but wanted to correct you here. For one, Frodo didn't actually die; Jesus did.

Secondly, Jesus descending into Hell is sort of a misnomer, no doubt thanks to the Nicene creed. He did not in fact suffer in Hell in our place, but is sometimes thought to have gone to Hades briefly (the holding place before Hell is opened up on Judgement Day) to preach to those there and explain why they are there. The notion he suffered in Hell is easily dispelled by his words to the thief on Calvary: "today you will be with me in paradise." Clearly he was going to chill in Heaven more or less right away; albiet with maybe a pit stop wink

Thirdly, Jesus was not resurrected by an Angel, but by God the Father. The Angel was simply there as a messenger to Mary and the few disciples to discover the empty tomb, as they most often are... since it comes from the Greek word "angelos" meaning "messenger."

Anywho, as for the drinking games being mentioned, I think Arwen crying alone would kill us all. It would be interesting to go up against Gimli and Legolas in ROTK tongue

sad Bombadil

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I never read the books. What the fuck is a Bombadil?

Some super powerful magic guy that would run into the Fellowship, be like, "sup guys!" sing a song, and leave.

EDIT: Several times.

Last edited by paulou (2012-03-09 22:03:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If Disney was at the helm, Bombadil wouldn't have been cut.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Tom Bombadil Wikipedia page is creepily extensive.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

switch wrote:

Might ask this question to the panel around the 8th hour:which content do you think Middle Earth is supposed to be an analogue of?  Just wondering...  I call dibs on Brian being the first to lose it on this one.

Heh. As a kid, I honestly didn't know about the concept of fictional maps. If I saw a map at the start of a book, I assumed it was from some real place (probably didn't help that I first read history books and stuff like the Horatio Hornblower tales). Can't remember where I put Middle Earth on the map, trying to match the coastline, but the Earthsea books naturally took place somewhere around Indonesia smile

Oh, I hope someone has a good camera with them so we can get before and after group shots of our valiant commentators!

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Job for Mythbusters: can a Hobbit throw a rock and take out an armoured Orc?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Palantir or Skype? Which is better on 4G?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well the connection quality for the pilantir is amazing, but the carrier rates are through the roof.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Another topic for discussion is all the amateur fan movies: Hunt for Gollum, Born of Hope, etc. Some have pretty good production values for a 'credit card' budget.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are changes that are actually pretty acceptable:
Arwen replacing Glorfindel
No barrow-wights
No Tom Bombadil
No scouring of the shire
Eomer replacing Erkenbrand

But there are others which are just crap. The Army of the Dead was very poorly used, raising more questions and plot holes, and there's the downright laughable bit with Gandalf having his staff broken by the Witchking who's apparently using the Force. The characterisation of Theoden and Denethor in particular are thin and lack any kind of subtlety. It's a testament to Bernard Hill's performance that he still remains somewhat likeable. Conversely, Sean Bean's Boromir is fantastic and arguably better than the book (where he's not that memorable except for dying).

And fucking Arwen... everytime she appears in the later two movies the pacing comes to a screeching halt. And why is she dying? Stop making stupid shit up!

I grew up with the Bakshi cartoon and I actually think it does a few things better than the movie. The most immediate that comes to mind is the introduction of Gandalf the White. I just think it's set up better. In the movie, Legolas just refers to something off-screen and it's just a really weird way to go into the scene. The ride out from Helm's Deep is a hell of a lot more dramatic too.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

The most immediate that comes to mind is the introduction of Gandalf the White. I just think it's set up better. In the movie, Legolas just refers to something off-screen and it's just a really weird way to go into the scene.

I never understood the prank that Gandalf pulls on the fellowship when he respawns. And why can he deflect arrows and superheat swords there but resorts to conventional melee fighting elsewhere?

Inconsistent use of wizardry. Show him doing too many tricks and he's invincible (all tension evaporates)  but not enough wizardry and he's just some old hobo drugged out on weed.

But these are all minor quibbles in the scheme of things. Jackson pulled off the impossible, against all expectation. Before 1999, it was Peter who? The films are endlessly spectacular, re-watchable, quotable, immersive, moving, and accompanied by the best score this century. The casting is spot-on, the production design is impressive and the cinematography and effects are top notch. Think of all the many ways the adaptation could have failed. For once, a genre film clean-sweeps the Academy Awards.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any thought given to how these are to be released?  are we doing "by-disc" releases, separate movie releases, or one epic file release?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd prefer three files, one for each movie, but it might be more convenient to break them up by disc (for sync purposes).

Looking forward to this - I can fly from London to Singapore and Down in Front will still be discussing Lord of the Rings, while all the other schmucks on the plane are watching Adam Sandler movies.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

imscaredguys

Don't worry, it's just a warm-up for the Harry Potter movie marathon commentary on Sunday.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down