Topic: Transformers 2 - Revenge of the Fallen

This movie really deserved this.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Transformers 2 - Revenge of the Fallen

The Fallen had his shot, here's ours.

Pick up Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen, or any of the films we’ve commented on and more at the Down in Front Store.

Transformers 2 on IMDB

Magic beans

Paramount / DreamWorks Transformers intro

Rum & Coke, in case you need a recipe.

Fridge logic

Amadalan…

Walter Peck

NEST

British Flag

As you know...

Wordplayer

Trust the audience

Conservation of detail

Anamorphic

Bokeh

Save the cat moment

Red Letter Media

White cape / Black cape

Titan

Suspension of disbelief

Transitive property

String theory

Dolly grip

Set up / Pay off

Boobs

The SR-71 Blackbird

Shia's accident

Macguffin

Griffith Observatory

Kill the cat moment

Moore's law

Retcon

Vaudevillian

Hanging a lantern

F-4 Phantom

Enola Gay

P-51 Mustang

The Concorde

The Wright flyer

Mercury capsule

Orson Welles quote

*At this point Tequila shots are required

National Air & Space Museum

Smithsonian Museum

Airplane graveyard

Faust

Proxima Centauri

Sharia

Burqa

Edwards Air Force Base

Deep Roy

Aliens build that...

Eddie Izzard - Scooby-Doo, from Dress to Kill

F-22 Raptor

Constructicons

Dinobots

Detonation Films

RvD2

Bob Forward

Beast Wars

Render Farm

Hovercraft

John C. Stenace

Nimitz class aircraft carrier

Embry Riddle

JPL

Rail gun

Battle of Who Could Care Less

Verizon Fios commercial

Ohh i certainly did not pay money to see this pile of shit. And i blame everyone one who did for allowing good money to be spent on crap like this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright, it's not Twig's fault. Everyone else!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We said we're sorry! We had no idea it could be this bad!

I saw this movie two times in theaters.

I look forward to being told how horrible a person I am.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

[Spoiler alert]

I saw it once in the cinema and bought the DVD, and I'm not ashamed to say I got a little choked up to watch my childhood hero, Optimus Prime, die for the second time on the big screen.

I realise I am partly responsible for the death of cinema.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh good god, Greg.

BrianFinifter wrote:

Oh good god, Greg.

I agree completely that the film sucks, but it also has Shia and big-ass ILM robots.

You could make any movie with Shia and big-ass ILM robots and I will be there.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have to admit, Brian, we said the same thing coming into this movie.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Which excuses the first viewing...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

And the second one can be excused by the fact that this is Japan and it was the only American movies in cinemas and I was girl-less and bored.

I was certainly playing some Solitaire on my iPhone during the non-giant robots parts.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:
DorkmanScott wrote:

And the second one can be excused by the fact that this is Japan and it was the only American movies in cinemas and I was girl-less and bored.

I was certainly playing some Solitaire on my iPhone during the non-giant robots parts.

I believe that does constitute a valid excuse.   Especially the iPhone part.

So this episode finally gave me the opportunity to listen to a DIF commentary without watching or ever having watched the movie in question - which apparently some of our listeners do, and which I couldn't understand why someone would.

I just had to wait for a movie I had no interest in seeing, and thus had no fear of being "spoiled" by the commentary - to see what the experience was like.

Oddly enough, I get it now.  The podcast still works even with no knowledge of the movie.    Whaddaya know.

Tho really, could there have been any such thing as a "spoiler" for Transformers II?   "What, something blows up?  You've ruined it for me!"

Well I have yet to see see this "film" at all yet. And breaking with tradition I probably won't watch it before I listen to you guys.

We'll see how it goes.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

See, Trey? =P

For the record, guys, I only saw it once, and didn't even finish, at that, because omfg the "script"... wasn't.

I got about to the scene where Bay made some poor vfx peeps spend 3 months doing that 3 second close-up (you know the one...) & that was it.
Shia ftw and shiny awesome CG ftw. (and yeah I get it, Megan Fox is hot and greasy looking) but....yeah.  Listening to the commentary actually kept me up way late because i couldn't stop laughing. XD

Hats off to the brilliant artists that are probably alcoholics by now after rendering countless frames of transforming robots, but If/when they make a Transformers 3: , please, for the love of whatever god you believe in, please let someone actually write an actual script. (and please don't let it be Transfomers 3...D)

/end rant

Thanks for another awesome commentary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Love Dorkman's summary of the plot at about the 47 minute mark: "Okay...okay...I'll go talk to the Fallen (who didn't exist before"...'shut up. fuck you.'"

this commentary helped me understand the movie better than the movie did. it still doesn't make sense. but thanks for trying guys.

Last edited by dexter (2010-03-30 12:45:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a unique experience watching this movie. I was at my local Bad Movie Night, and the DVD started up with some big action scene, hardly a surprise for a Michael Bay film. Then there were single title credits on black for each of the main actors, but the style and music seemed more like closing credits... strange. Then, there was another action scene, which seemed more like it belonged near the climax of a typical action movie, but, you know, Michael Bay. Our opinion of this thing was already so low going in that it must have been 15-20 minutes before we were even sure the disk had somehow been set to shuffle.

It was just like Memento. Every few minutes, a totally different part of the movie would start with no indication who anybody was or what they were trying to accomplish. Some of these jarring leaps came in the middles of scenes, sometimes after only thirty seconds to get your bearings, then sometimes we would have the misfortune to sit through longer chunks of the movie intact. For me, it became an excercise of imagining where in the structure of a good movie we might be at any particular time, but after a while I just gave up.

After a couple hours like that, more credits came on, and we turned off the DVD. I walked away with no idea what had just happened, but I never bothered to rewatch it, because I figured my experience couldn't possibly be any worse than the actual movie. Judging from this commentary, it was probably about the same.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

Tho really, could there have been any such thing as a "spoiler" for Transformers II?

For a spoiler to exist, there would need be a logical sequence of events to lead up to that spoiler. Saying "window" comes after "blueberry" in a random string of words is pretty well meaningless.

This 'cast told me one thing I didn't know.

A while ago I think there was a fad of inserting localised footage in movies. Here in the UK Shrek 2 had a few minor characters re-voices by local 'celebs', I think there was one or two other examples.

Anyway - when i saw the Union Flag on the uniform & the coffin, I honestly thought I was being gamed & it was local footage. To hear the guys mention they saw it too makes me feel better. Or worse. I dunno yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

you guys do reccomend the plot to x2 as a re-wright which is best known as the best of comic sequels pre dark knight. megatron and the decepticons  teaming up with the good guys to beat the fallen.

The main problem i have with both of these movies is that they never really set up "rules" of the magic beans. Most good sci fi set up the rules of their universe this one never ever bothers.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Twig24 wrote:

The main problem i have with both of these movies is that they never really set up "rules" of the magic beans. Most good sci fi set up the rules of their universe this one never ever bothers.

(if i may) By rules, do you mean what can/can't happen within the universe of the story or the fact that they don't tell you why/how the transformers exist (in terms of being autonomous, etc)

(& if i'm way off, please correct me)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

how they work, why the autobots can only be cars, why some cjan change what they turn into. At some point dont you think shia would ask? I know i would.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Twig24 wrote:

how they work, why the autobots can only be cars, why some cjan change what they turn into. At some point dont you think shia would ask? I know i would.

See, there's a scene that might have been really fun, in either movie.     After a lot of running and exploding, there's a brief lull, and Shia could have his own refrigerator moment:

SHIA
So Optimus, I've been meaning to ask - why cars and trucks?  How does that work exactly?

OPTIMUS
Well, I'm glad you asked, because it's really quite a fascinating -

Suddenly SOMETHING EXPLODES.  They RUN.

I think you make a very good point - there is a difference between explaining the magic beans (which by definition don't need an explanation, they're just magic) and explaining how the magic beans WORK.     

For example, we never know exactly how the deLorean does what it does, but we DO know that it needs 1.21 gigawatts for the time circuits, and needs to be moving at 88 mph,  because these became key elements of the plot.

or Kyle Reese's limited understanding of time travel -  he explains HOW it works, enough so that we understand why the Terminator doesn't have futuristic weapons, etc.  But when it comes to explaining WHY, he can't because he "didn't build the f**ing thing!"   

Or the arbitrary Gremlin rules - they're ridiculous, but hey, those are the rules, and then the story proceeds based on those rules.      And so on.

I think that's a big missing piece in Transformers (and from listening to the commentary, apparently in Tran2 as well) - what the hell are the ground rules with these machines?   It doesn't have to make SENSE per se, but at least tell us what the rules ARE.   

Without that, we're left with robots punching each other until ILM runs out of money.

Last edited by Trey (2010-03-31 21:13:46)

re: Twig24 - yeah I get what you mean. Would be interesting if they explained that a bit, and having Shia's character be the one to ask, rather than just Optimus spitting it out, would've been a good device to have that exposition. "uh..so...guys?....why a car?..."

I think that's just one of those things (i.e. magic beans) that you have to kinda go with, though.  It wouldn't be necessary to the plot to know that & could have come off totally cheesy had they tried to explain it, but yeah i would ask if I were in that situation ; )

The only thing that bothered me (Trans 1) was that the map was embedded into the glasses. I just didn't like that method of the map being on something physical. I could have seen maybe the map was scanned into Sam's g.father's brain  (like on Chuck, or Flight of the Navigator) and then he goes nuts and writes it all down in a notebook, or carves it out onto a stone or something, and have THAT be where the map ends up.

the only thing that bothered me about Trans 2 was.....Trans 2 XD

Last edited by cinebo (2010-03-31 18:40:28)

Thumbs up Thumbs down