Topic: [Spoiler Zone] Prometheus

I know there's an existing thread, but I need to vent a little about a number of specific issues with the film. Please be aware spoilers follow.

How can we possibly care what happens to characters who are so incredibly stupid as to get to an alien world and take their helmets off? It's like we're watching science as performed in the world of idiocracy.

SCIENCE! YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

You discover that after taking off your helmet you have a parasite in your eye? Best thing to do is not tell anyone, let alone your wife, and join in with everyone taking their helmets off again. THAT'S SCIENCE!

As a biologist, you learn in biology science school that when discovering alien life, on an alien world, the best course of actions to pet it. SOMEONE ACED THEIR BIOLOGY SCIENCE SCHOOL EXAMS!

Let's not mention the agressive tentacle alien foetus which you just pulled out of your womb. We'll just leave that there because nothing bad could possibly happen if we do that.

Let's bring the old guy along, they'll never see that one coming.

Zombies. I really have no words.

It's midnight, I'm tired of writing about this fucking thing. There was so much potential here, but it was so disjointed and ridiculous that I can only be disappointed. Hoping for an expanded directors edition won't help explain why the film, like the characters, it's fatally infected with alien stupid.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: [Spoiler Zone] Prometheus

Yeah, it's a sci-fi movie with horror movie logic for the characters.

Since we're free to throw around spoilers here, and you've mentioned the alien fetus thing... I've got beef.

We know in the Alien universe that the face huggers can impregnate seemingly any creature, which is far-fetched, but whatever, there's your magic bean. And it combines with the DNA of whatever the host is and the alien characteristics merge with the host's to create a sort of hybrid creature. I'm fine with that.

But in Prometheus... David gives boyfriend scientist a smidge of the black fluid, which we saw cause the pale man to break apart. It's alien fluid, we don't know what it does, fine, free pass. It turned those maggots into giant penis snakes, let's see what it does to boyfriend scientist. Well seemingly it starts to turn him into one of the Space Jockeys, though we'll never know if he would have survived the transformation because Charlize Theron burns him to death. So far I don't have a problem with this.

But then... Dr. Shaw is pregnant. Because they had sex the night before, scientist boyfriend being in his semi-transformed state. And she's apparently three months pregnant with what we find out is... a tentacle monster? Um... where are these tentacles coming from? Scientist boyfriend didn't grow any tentacles. Break-away pale man didn't grow tentacles before he turned into DNA...

Then later in the movie we see the thing is like a giant face hugger kinda, but with no human characteristics, despite its two human parents. Save the penis tongue it uses to fuck the final pale man to death. And then it also dies, because it's just totally spent, I guess. And this dead pale man gives birth to a proto-xenomorph because... why? Why does giant face hugger's rape-baby take on Space Jockey characteristics, but black goo scientist boyfriend and Shaw's baby has no human characteristics? Where's the biological logic here? And then... so the proto-Xenomorph is going to go off to evolve and lay eggs and then the pale men will space jockey them right into the cargo hold? What is going on, movie?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At least on the last point, I think it's safe to say that this is just a different experimental weapon, or earlier form, of what ends up being the eggs on the ship from the original movies (remember this isn't the same planet as the old movies). They might've gone with the egg design at some earlier or later point in their weapons experimentation process.

The mutation inconsistencies are extremely frustrating though, the black stuff is really just magical plot mutation stuff, extremely lazy writing. I think the more you try to rationalize and figure out a "rule-set" for it, the more it breaks down and just doesn't make any sense. I think it works best if you just think of it as this awful unknown bio-weapon that has random mutative effects designed to create random fucked up creatures out of your victims. It's very lovecraftian in that it's just this unknown fucked up thing that has no rhyme or reason but is horrible and terrifying. Doesn't excuse the writing, but I can kind of enjoy and go with it on that level.

The biggest issue to me is the cave paintings that set off the whole story make 0 sense once you find out where things are going. If this was a secret military installation researching bio-weapons that they were planning to deploy on earth (which by the way the characters seem to figure out without any evidence at all), how/why was it's location printed on earth? When the movie started I thought they were going with the whole "the destination is a trap designed to kill off any sufficiently advanced races" storyline, which would've been a cool and streamlined direction for the story. But if it's just a military factory, and they were planning to wipe out humanity way back then, it doesn't make sense. Also, so there's an accident and everyone at this top secret military installation dies off. Home base never bothers to check up on them or bring in any assistance? For that matter, there's apparently other ships on this planet. You're telling me that everyone got killed off due to an accident on MULTIPLE different ships? What kind of fucking coincidence is that?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It gets worse. If they were going to wipe out humanity with bio weapons, why would you go to earth to have ancient humans paint dots on the wall instead of either nuking the planet or infecting them with the bio weapon while you were there? Also, why would you make people in the first place if the goal was to then eradicate them? Also, why would you want to eradicate humanity by replacing them with a far more dangerous form of life? The Engineers are easily capable of killing the shit out of humans, but as we see at the end of the film, they are apparently no match for the resulting mini Lovecraft vagina tentacle monsters the bio weapon produces.

But you can rationalize this a bit: They're aliens so they don't think or act in ways that we'd find logical. They may have some kind of plan. Or maybe these guys are some kind of terrorist group that hates the fact that their kind are going around seeding life on other planets, so they set up a trap to kill off the races they've seeded with some kind of bio weapon. Whatever.

The problems I have with the movie revolve around David and the 'humans' on the ship. None of them are real characters.

The alien ship is taking off. We need to stop it. What's Plan A? Ram the only space ship we have into it, killing the three of us. Interesting. How about we try something else first? Or maybe we can cripple their ship by having our ship land on top of it, or by smashing the side of our ship into it's propulsion systems. As opposed to just ramming straight-on, cockpit-first into the thing. So that there might be some slight chance that we could possibly survive.

And let's not let this most important decision we've ever made in our lives have any sort of emotional impact on us. Just another day at the office, really. Well, the boss wants us to kamikaze into the side of an alien ship again. And they lowered our benefits last year, too. Buncha jerks. I might just hand in my letter of resignation after this trip. *crash*

Going back a bit further, we've got the revelation that the old guy is still on the ship. This is supposed to be a revelation, even though this is clearly what's going on due to the prior "David talking to some mystery figure in a hypersleep chamber. Which has it's own logic flaw of "how the fuck do you talk to someone in hypersleep", but they kinda wave their hands at that with the whole "i can see your dreams" bit, so fuck it. Anyway, Lisbeth walks into sick bay and there's the old guy and she's all "Oh, you're here too? Huh." I didn't get any sense that it was some kind of big deal. It didn't feel revelatory, possibly due to that scene, but just the way everyone is so blase about it in the room. How did no one else on the ship know about it besides Theron and David? And the medical guys? Like... No one noticed that they had a half dozen medical guys on a ship that otherwise had only a dozen other people on board? Doesn't seem weird at all?

The Engineer's ship just crashed. What's the first, most logical thing to do after your ship has crashed? Go kill the scientist bitch, right? Even though that guy had no clue where the fuck she was, and had no real reason to go try to kill her.

Further, how the fuck did he get there without some kind of breathing apparatus? If they need the keep their ships set up with an earth-like atmosphere and the humans - who share the same fucking DNA, apparently - can't go outside without helmets and breathing apparatus, how did he get to the ship? Better question, tho, is why the fuck didn't he go to one of the other alien ships that were all lined up and waiting for someone to just hop on board and fly it to earth?

You've got probes that go around picking up life-forms that apparently didn't pick up the life forms in the soil in the room as soon as they opened the door.

You've got David concocting some kind of scheme to have an alien baby put into hypersleep while still in the womb so it can be brought back to earth. Why? Did the old guy tell him to do that? WHY!? To make it a weapon or something? They don't know what the fuck it is! I can get why they'd want to do that in Aliens, and I can get kinda why they'd want to do that in the first film, although I kinda assumed that the droid just went fucking batshit in that movie. However, in this film, the thematic ideas presented kinda make you wonder if the androids aren't trying to do to humans what you assume the Engineers were going to do. They're sick of being second-class citizens and they want to use this alien species to kill off all humans. That kinda fits with the first movie's robot as well, and possibly MOTHER's motives, given that if this film is correct, then MOTHER must somehow figure out all of this. It's making me think about it too much and breaking things in the first movie and every subsequent movie where the robots aren't acting that way.

The old guy clearly just wanted answers, or to be fixed by these aliens or something, but the robot seemed to want to kill everyone on the ship for no particular reason. He also doesn't do a very good job of hiding the fact, given that he sticks the alien jar thing in the fridge with transparent doors.

The geologist guy, when he first goes into the alien structure, acts like he's about to have a claustrophobic breakdown or something. When that happened in the movie I was like "Well, you were stuck on a space ship for a couple years, so that's kinda weird." Then he blatantly says "I'm a geologist". At this point I was like "You're a fucking geologist? Do you do that in between playing bass with your punk rock band?" The guy doesn't act like a geologist, and makes his weird nervousness about being IN that place even weirder. You're a geologist and you're not used to dealing with enclosed spaces? Wait, you're a geologist and you've not once said something like "huh, these rocks are kinda cool" or ANYTHING!?

The biologist guy finds an alien life form on another planet and immediately tries to interact with it without knowing a single thing about it other than the fact that it looks like a penis with a vagina face. How does he interact with it? He sticks his finger in front of it's... vagina? Mouth? What the fuck am I looking at, here? Is he about to get his finger bit off, or is he about to sexually molest a worm? What the fuck, creature designers?

David gives that guy some contaminated booze. Guy drinks it, then fucks his wife, implanting her with some kind of creature. Had she not cut the creature out of her, one can assume it would have bursted out, yeah? Out of her womb? Not out of her chest, tho. Anyway, following that logic a bit, let's say that some Engineer drinks a little bit of that stuff. Did he then get his cock sucked by the Engineer in Alien that we see dead with a chest burster type damage to his... suit (no exoskeleton... ok...)? So that his... throat or stomach or whatever is impregnated? Wait, if the aliens take their shape from the things they replicate from, how the fuck do they have exoskeletons? Or acid blood? I guess the acid blood could be from the stomach acid? Cock sucking is the only thing that makes sense, here. The Engineers apparently swallow. Maybe the alien next impregnated a lobster or something and got the exoskeleton that way.

"That's because I'm a human being and you're a robot." Worst line in the movie.

Lindelof's method of writing seems to be to come up with a bunch of scenes that would be cool and cryptic, and then write scenes in between those scenes that serve as an excuse as to why the last scene makes sense or why the next scene is about to happen.

Cool scene where they're running from a cloud of silicon ... rocks... that, OK, why the fuck was that scene there? They pilot dude was like "oh shit bros, get back to the ship or y'all gonna die in this dust cloud thing" and then you're all "oh shit I hope they don't die in the dust cloud thing" and then they get caught in the dust cloud and nothing happens, and then those two guys are still in the thing and nothing happens to them... So why the fuck is that dust cloud thing an issue? Lose communication? They keep communicating with the guys all fucking night, telling them about the life form and where to go and all that shit. I would understand if they had to move the ship or something and thus stranded them all there for a while. I could understand if those silicon chunks had been like little flying razor blades and cut them all to bits. But it was just a chunky version of a dust storm with strong wind.

In the first couple alien movies, that would have crippled the ship, killed one of them, doused communications and created a sense of being trapped and isolated. In this movie it just kept the two stupidest guys trapped in a structure where they then flip-flopped from being completely idiotic to flying into hysterics for the slightest reason.

"I believe in things because that's how science works. I'm a scientist."

The real reason this pisses me off so much is because you could SO EASILY have made a bad-ass movie out of this. I had like a dozen different possible ideas in my head before watching this. Things they could have done. Aliens made us was one of the things. The aliens being a doomsday weapon to use against humans was one of the things. You could make that work logically and have an actual reason for that to be the case. Or you could have had these guys entire home world be destroyed by the alien creatures after having discovered them during their explorations. Our future destruction would have been preceded by their previous destruction. An advanced race whose goal is to push their boundaries and explore succumbs to a horrifyingly primitive one whose only instinct is survival and multiplication. The ship they find is crashed and maybe there's a survivor or something living in cryostasis. Give one of the intelligent aliens the same sort of backstory that Ripley had in Alien 3. Just pick it up without the prior movies to give it some mystery.

But this movie fails in just about every conceivable way. The dialogue is unbelievably bad, the characters are either completely flat archetypes or fucking bipolar, none of them act like scientists to the point where when you are blatantly told that they are scientists you say "what the fuck? those dudes are scientists?", the questions it poses aren't thought-provoking questions about humanity or life or religion or science, they're cryptic guessing-game questions where any answer that seems to be correct is totally illogical or nonsensical.

I haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia, tho. Maybe the movie makes complete sense if you've seen that flick?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is what I meant by the movie creating more questions than it answers.

Here's another: the last surviving Engineer, presumably from the time of the outbreak, doesn't climb in the chair and fly to Earth to carry out the blah-blah-blah-plan-blah-blah.  Nope, he goes to sleep.

Now, I'm willing to give the story some latitude, because they're dealing with questions like "where do we come from?" and "who made us and why?"  And to the film's credit, the do touch on that.  Why did we create robots? Because we can!  Why did the Engineers seed (?) life on Earth? Because the could?  The film seems more interested in ideas and raising questions than giving answers, and in terms of a search for the meaning of life I'm ok with that.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "because I can / we can / they could" motivation in terms of writing a story.  It strikes me as an interesting idea, but not one that makes for an interesting story.  I cite the recent Pixar Story Rules: #2: You gotta keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be v. different.

Maybe there's an overarching logic that will make sense if they make the next (2?) film(s), but I while I'm not a writer, I know enough to understand that even if that's what you're going for, each film still has to have its own internal logic.

The Engineers are left as this complete enigma; you don't know who they are, what they want, what they're doing, or why they're doing it.  Now, as an idea, that's God personified, which is a cool idea.  The film is grappling with the idea of meeting our creators, e.g., God.  But again, interesting idea does not equal interesting story.

The best I can come up with regarding the Engineers, I have summed up in this imaginary response to whatever question David asks when they thaw out the one Engineer:

"Look, we (the Engineers) basically used Earth as a test bed for biological warfare or experimentation; we didn't intend to create you humans.  Still, we thought it was cute how you developed intelligence near ours, so we'd pop in there every few millennia and say Hi!  I mean, who doesn't like being worshiped like a god, eh?  But we saw the potential for you to evolve to the point where you could have the ability to run around the stars like we do, and we could't have that.  So, we gave you a map to our super secret weapons facility, so that when you figured out how to get there, we could destroy you, and start over again.  So thank you for waking me up; I've been asleep for a very long time, and now I must go wipe you all out."  //rips David's head off, kills everyone, fly's off.

Last edited by Matt Vayda (2012-06-09 20:28:03)

^^^ Basically everything you guys said.

I will also add......How the FUCK does David magically know how to read and SPEAK the alien language?!! They're assuming ancient human languages are based off the alien language or something, which is a huge stretch to begin with, but there's no way he would know how you're supposed to Vocalize the language.
Actually, I like to think that David said something really offensive to the Bald dude by accident, which is why the guy instantly ripped his head off and started murdering people.

The other thing that really pissed me off...so Shaw is impregnated with an Alien, they're about to put her in stasis. She knocks a couple guys out, runs off and self-operates on herself. No-one follows her or tries to chase her down, no-one is looking for her or seems to show any interest. Then she stumbles back into the room completely bloodied, and everyone's just super casual about it, no questions, no-one following up on what happened with the ALIEN LIFEFORM ONBOARD THE SHIP!!!

That really pisses me off too, because in isolation, it's an excellent horror set-piece, but it's completely in the wrong part of the movie structurally. She should not realize she's pregnant, until close to the end, when the shit has already hit the fan. The proto-human guy is running around killing people, and chasing after her. And on top of everything she realizes she's impregnated and is going to die from within. How much scarier would it be if she has to self-operate while the proto-human guy can come running in at any second. And then, as soon as she crawls out totally bloodied and exhausted, she still has to fight this super-human monster on top of everything. THAT would be an awesome climax, and make so much more sense structurally.

Last edited by bullet3 (2012-06-09 20:27:56)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, it would be cool to try to take the various elements of this movie and rewrite it into a movie that does things properly. There's no sense of things spiraling out of control, no building of dread throughout the movie. These are things that the first couple of alien movies did amazingly well. Every scene upped the stakes more and more. In this film, there are scenes that have a sense of terror to them, but there's not really a single thread of dread going through the whole thing. Things don't escalate. The stupid people do something stupid and something bad happens. Then they do something else that's stupid and something bad happens again. It really is typical horror film bullshit.

The first alien had them trapped first on a planet until they fixed the ship. While doing that they investigated these ruins. Then one of their guys was... injured or something, and they let the biological weapon thing onto the ship. While they monitor their injured friend, they finish repairs and take off.

Then the creature seems to die, their friend seems no worse for wear, and they all kindof assume that the worst is behind them. Have a nice meal, take a shower and head back to hypersleep so they can get back on the road to wherever they were originally going.

Chest burst. Stuck on a ship with some kind of creature that keeps getting bigger and deadlier, crawling around in vents and shit. Kill this guy, kill that guy. Robot goes bonkers. Fine, let's get on the emergency pod, blow the ship and be done with it. YOu guys get the supplies, I'll blow the fucking ship. Oops, you guys died. Sucks. I'm still going to the pod. Oops, the alien is between me and the pod. Well, maybe I should delay the ship's self destruct until I get an opening. Oops, too late. Now I've got a ticking clock to get to a pod that we all know has an alien right in front of it and then I have to get far enough away that the resulting ship explosion doesn't blow me to shit.

Oh hey, the alien seems to be gone. Oh wait, it was gone because it got onto the fucking pod! Now I'm trapped in a tiny fucking pod with a thing that will kill me if it realizes I'm here. Let's build tension for the next five minutes before - oh shit it saw me! HIT THE BUTTON! Blown into space. The end.

In this movie:

Oh no! The ship is.. no wait, the ship's fine. We land ships great.

Oh no! There's a sand storm! well that was tense for a minute. Good thing it had no other effect on the ship or crew at all!

Oh no! A couple of guys got attacked by a thing and killed! Well...  we can't be bothered by that cause this dude's sick, and OH NO He's turning into some kind of no...  no wait, we just burned him. OK. cool. But the other guy comes back and starts fucking some shit up and oh wait...  yeah, we burned him, too. OK...

OH but now the girl is sick and the evil robot is...  uh...  actually, his plan is kinda sensible. We can't do the operation and should hypersleep you to earth where you can be fixed...  yeah...  ok, that's actually a good plan...

But fuck that plan, I'm going to have a machine do my surgery! And it does, and then... that's over now. I've just had a massive hole cut into me and had a bit of me ripped out. Let's go hiking back to the ship! I can totally run, why wouldn't I be able to? I've got some painkiller sticks. Totally fine.

The ship is crashing. Let's run in the worst possible direction to ensure that both of us die! Oh, wait, that's a dumb idea! I'm gonna roll to the left a bit! But then the ship lands on Rooney and she's saved by a bit of rock that keeps the ship from crushing her to death. Uh..? So if someone drops a battleship on you in the desert, just find a little rock formation to lay next to. You'll be fine.

And then there's another scene where an alien thing goes after Rooney, but then is attacked by another alien thing and literally fucks it in the face to death.

Each of these scenes is entirely isolated. There's no build of tension throughout, it's one tense scene followed by another tense scene, and the tension is defused by the end of the scene. Things only start getting really difficult toward the end of the film. They could just fly the fuck away at any point up until they crash the ship. The aliens have made a bunch of things that have killed several of your people, not to mention killed the guys who made it in the first place. RUN THE FUCK AWAY! Oh there's one of them still alive in cryosleep? RUN FASTER!

Oh, the alien was decapitated by this door. That's interesting. Oh wait, why the fuck are they running? Are they being chased? By what? Did the rest of them go into that cargo hold thing? If so, where the fuck are they? They're not in the cargo hold where the one guy got his head cut off. Why do they have a panel on the wall that is able to play back a single chunk of horrifying 3D interactive video bullshit? Why is the panel covered in goo, and what does that goo do? Is it part of the panel? Does it make the panel work or something? Like oil? If it's a panel to record shit, who the fuck hit "record"? If it records everything, why the hell did they only get playback for that one bit?

This movie is like a brain virus that I can't stop. Someone make it stop!

I can see Lindelof and the other guy working on this, and their ideas are kinda sound. The whole bit about how humans get uncomfortable when robots do things humans can't? Then the reaction that the Engineers have to the humans they made? Cause they're not exactly the same? Get it?

The part where the guy's all "I wanted to ask why they made us" and the robot's all "Well, why did you make me" and the human's all "Cause we can". Great bit. I like that idea. But then the robot's all "wouldn't you be disappointed if that's what you heard from your creators" and the guy's all "You're a stupid robot and I'm a person. Totally different".

LOL OMG Humans are so racist against robots, right? We treat them all like crap, and even the good guys in the movie are all "you're just a stupid robot, robot, so shut the fuck up!" So true, man.

YOU GET IT!? The Engineers see us as just stupid robots! They think of us the way we think of robots! OMG it's so deep and shit!

FUCK!

I need to get drunk.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was not scared once during the entire thing, and I get scared by scary films. There was no tension at all.

After the film the group of people I went to see it had similar views, and we spent time talking about all the cool stuff that *could* have happened, or ideas that *could* have been explored. It felt like it was written for TV and they hadn't got around to writing the end of season wrap-up episodes yet.

I guess that's what happens when a guy who wrote 115 episodes of Lost does your script.

Last edited by Dave (2012-06-09 23:54:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well that Damon Lindelof guy has written tv for most of his career.  His previous movie writing credit is Cowboys vs. Aliens.  And we all know how bad THAT thing was.  Jon Spaihts' only writing credit is that Darkest Hour flick.  Haven't felt the inkling to see that one...

This movie screams horrible writing.  How could Ridley Scott have ever thought this script was good?

Last edited by switch (2012-06-10 00:17:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I kinda liked Cowboys Vs Aliens, to be honest. Aside from the side characters having really cliche arcs and the unnecessary revelation of a second species of alien, I dug it. It's not a great flick, but it's not insulting or anything. I would like to hear a DIF commentary about that flick so I can understand better why people dislike it so much.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a couple more thoughts after seeing it a second time.

Caught a 3D showing this time.  Still meh on the whole idea, but it works pretty well on the CG stuff like the tunnel map.

Someone mentioned a comparison to The Fountain.  If the stuff coming out of the tree at the end was black goo, and a chestburster came out of the guy instead of flowers, there ya go.

I did notice something on the second showing: the Engineer that they wake up, is different than the one we see in the beginning.  He already has a Giger like appearance, whereas the one in the beginning was more of a straight up albino.  I couldn't tell from the point-cloud-flight-recorder (which is somehow also interactive?) David activates, whether or not the rest of them looked like that or not.  It could be that HE was what the others were running from, and was the thing that killed off the others.  My money's on, we never find out.

Sigh.  More interesting ideas, more questions.

I assumed that the Giger look, like what we assumed was the Space Jockey's head but turned out to be a helmet, was just armor or a space suit. Which the guy at the beginning simply wasn't wearing. And given that the guys in the point cloud hologram were wearing the helmet, I assume they were wearing the Gigersuit as well. Didn't the decapitated one they found have a Giger-y body?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The holograms I'm referring to were the ones in the pilot chamber.  There are a set of four suits standing like suits of armor as you walk into the pilot chamber.  The decapitated Engineer was indeed wearing a suit like that.

The Engineer they wake up still has a Giger-esque look to it, but it seemed to me that he wasn't wearing a suit, he just looked that way.  His look was more Xenomorph than Space Jockey, if that makes any sense.  When he does climb into the pilot chair, the helmet and restraints close around him; he doesn't put on a suit first.

Maybe he was wearing some sort of hypersleep pyjama or something.

I'm so proud of you guys, you've pretty much covered it. Ugh, what a terrible movie.

If you'd told me a week ago that Ridley Scott's return to Science Fiction would be inferior to Chronicles of Riddick, I'd have laughed in your face. At least there's hope for next year: We get Blomkamp's Elysium movie, Cuaron's Gravity, and Twohy's Riddick movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, here's what I was on about earlier:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7213/7353936942_e47aba98df_o.jpg

On the left, we have the suit, on the right, the Engineer they wake up.  They're clearly different.  From what my fuzzy memory and what other stills I've dug up indicate, I believe the four Engineers in the pilot room holo are all in the righthand getup.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4dl97xEsl1r86b9lo2_1280.jpg

switch wrote:

Jon Spaihts' only writing credit is that Darkest Hour flick.  Haven't felt the inkling to see that one...

I have.  Would it shock you if I said that Darkest Hour has some nice action setpieces, interspersed with some extremely sketchy science talk?

Spaights also wrote Passengers, which was number one on the "black list" a few years back.   The description said it was about a guy who wakes up to find himself the only conscious person on a sleeper ark ship.   Considering we were getting ready to make Ark at the time, I was curious (and worried - it seemed like everybody was doing arkship stories all of a sudden). 

So I got hold of a copy, and it's actually an interesting premise ruined by... wait for it...  a lot of extremely dumb science.   The descriptions of how the arkship functioned were insane - you'd never design a ship to do any of those things... unless you needed it to do those things to service your shaky plot.  It even had my least favorite trope of all - the "ship's computer" was damaged and malfunctioning.   

Passengers never got made (yet) though Keanu Reeves was attached to star for a while.  But because of its notoriety,  Spaights became a go-to guy for "space" screenplays.   Sigh.

My biggest gripe about Prometheus (biggest among many) was the Old Weyland subplot, which contributed nothing to the movie.    I think it was in the non-spoiler thread that someone asked why hire Guy Pearce to do the whole movie in not-very-good old age makeup... the only explanation I can think of is maybe that "viral video" TED talk is actually a deleted scene, intended to add another level to the "if we can create life, we're like gods" theme that I think the movie was trying to go for, sorta.   It's a pretty elaborate scene to just be a bit o' viral marketing, but I'm just guessing.   

But damn, it sure is a pretty movie to look at.

C-Spin wrote:

But then... Dr. Shaw is pregnant. Because they had sex the night before, scientist boyfriend being in his semi-transformed state. And she's apparently three months pregnant with what we find out is... a tentacle monster? Um... where are these tentacles coming from? Scientist boyfriend didn't grow any tentacles. Break-away pale man didn't grow tentacles before he turned into DNA...

okay, this is going to sound odd, but I took the tentacle monster to be a sperm cell mutated in Halloway's body. This grows to an amazing size within a day, and even moreso by the next time we see it, like the earthworms that we are deliberately shown multiple times. This black goo is a weaponizer, much like of the facehugger. It works quick like a virus to contaminate, and adapt.

and the apparently same black goo can also break down and rebuild DNA, in a seemingly similar manner.... to adapt and whathaveyou... maybe its concentrated? Not-fast-acting? but still, the logic's off from the first scene. Or at least we are shown something that never pops up again, only to be told it can do a million other things.

but then we get to the weird xenomorph at the end.... which I believe to be the "hybrid' we should have seen at the end of Alien Resurrection. Not a proto-xenomorph or anything like that. If this movie warrants its sequel, I think we are going to see the traditional xenomorph as the weaponized form of the space jockeys we saw.

but yeah... Scientists with horror movie logic, and get lost in places that are deliberately mapped out 3d holograms.

and old man wayland.............. couldnt he just be frozen in his 40's, days away from dieing of cancer?

Last edited by otero (2012-06-10 10:33:13)

http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/d/df/Biff_2015.JPG

Weyland?

http://www.monrohomestay.co.uk/weblog/wp-content/uploads/john-hurt-300x300.jpg
OH HAI shouldabeen-old-man-Wayland,

Man, he already kinda looked like an old man in the 70s.........40 YEARS AGO! (also known as Max Von Sydow syndrome)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Could have got Ian Holm. Could have got Lance Henriksen.

Would have made more sense than old man raisin-face makeup.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-06-11 05:08:40)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I wanna point out it's retarded to have two threads for the same exact topic. Just merge them.

Non spoilery observation (in wrong thread but I'm cool so here goes), The ships hologram floating monitors (that are NOT CRTs) seem to be flat in wide shots but 3D in close ups? It really got on my nerves after a few shots. And why did the science crew bring their own projector when the ship just finished playing the completely redundant Weyland's room scene in glorious Hologram 3D? Couldn't they just plug in a zip drive or wifi it over to the ship projector?
I know I seem nit picky but really these things aren't the future, they are the stupid things we do right now. 3d TVs stay stereo regardless of how far away I walk, and I don't take my own screen or projector to the meeting with me.

And those away suits sucked balls. Surely a hazardous environment of world suit would be fire resistant, you know if someone accidently hosed you with a flame thrower...
And have you read that story breakdown posted with references to religious world stories? http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
Sadly on topic I think, Ridley done gone jumped the shark with Engineer Jesus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down