Topic: Lucas "finished with blockbusters"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magaz … .html?_r=2

According to an article by the New York Times, Redtails will be George Lucas' final 'Blockbuster' film.

“I’m retiring,” Lucas said. “I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff.”

Apparently he wants to focus on more 'personal' films in the future.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Lucas "finished with blockbusters"

I'll believe it when I see it twenty years from now.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He said exactly the same thing after Return of the Jedi.    But I'd like to see him really do it this time, if he can.  American Graffiti was a nice little personal film, maybe he would have done those for his entire career if he hadn't gotten trapped in blockbuster hell.  B ut now that he's a billionaire who runs a media empire, I wonder if he can make a "personal" movie that normal people can relate to.   

But best of luck to him, says I.

Trey wrote:

He said exactly the same thing after Return of the Jedi.    But I'd like to see him really do it this time, if he can.  American Graffiti was a nice little personal film, maybe he would have done those for his entire career if he hadn't gotten trapped in blockbuster hell.  B ut now that he's a billionaire who runs a media empire, I wonder if he can make a "personal" movie that normal people can relate to.   

But best of luck to him, says I.

He also said exactly the same thing after Revenge of the Sith. And he's spent the past seven years making The Clone Wars and Red Tails...

I'd also love to see him actually make good and do it, though. American Grafitti was really fun and I love THX 1138. Of course if he did make a movie I enjoyed it'd just be a set-up for the burning hatred and disillusionment I'd feel in thirty years when I can't get the original theatrical release on 4K Mega-Disc.

Last edited by C-Spin (2012-01-18 01:50:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lucas looks absolutely terrified of his missus in that picture.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, cause there's been so many forces stopping him from making "personal" films these last 20 years. I mean it must be so hard doing intimate passion projects when you're a multi-billionaire with unlimited time and money on his hands. This whole article just pisses me off, with Lucas trying to play the "victim" card over all the backlash. Hey pal, maybe if you took your massive successes and kept trying new things and experimenting like Spielberg did, instead of literally sitting on your ass and doing nothing for 15 years and just milking Star Wars for all its merchandise money. Then re-releasing it every 5 years to rake in another couple hundred million every time. Then 20 years since his last directing gig thinking he still had it and was awesome enough to make the prequels himself. Then after fucking up Phantom Menace, not having the common sense and humility to say.....ok, maybe I'm not the director/writer I thought I was, lets hire someone who knows what they're doing. All the while retroactively trying to wipe out the memory of the original movies as they were out of existence, and poisoning Spielberg with your shitty ideas and talking him into fucking up ET (thank god Spielberg has come around on that this last year) , when a decade before you had been an activist for film preservation. Maybe if you didn't do all that you wouldn't be vilified and hated by damn near the entire film community. So ya, go ahead and retire, and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Didn't he claim to have a prequel and sequel to Red Tails in mind not a few days ago? What was that all about, then?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Ya, cause there's been so many forces stopping him from making "personal" films these last 20 years. I mean it must be so hard doing intimate passion projects when you're a multi-billionaire with unlimited time and money on his hands. This whole article just pisses me off, with Lucas trying to play the "victim" card over all the backlash. Hey pal, maybe if you took your massive successes and kept trying new things and experimenting like Spielberg did, instead of literally sitting on your ass and doing nothing for 15 years and just milking Star Wars for all its merchandise money. Then re-releasing it every 5 years to rake in another couple hundred million every time. Then 20 years since his last directing gig thinking he still had it and was awesome enough to make the prequels himself. Then after fucking up Phantom Menace, not having the common sense and humility to say.....ok, maybe I'm not the director/writer I thought I was, lets hire someone who knows what they're doing. All the while retroactively trying to wipe out the memory of the original movies as they were out of existence, and poisoning Spielberg with your shitty ideas and talking him into fucking up ET (thank god Spielberg has come around on that this last year) , when a decade before you had been an activist for film preservation. Maybe if you didn't do all that you wouldn't be vilified and hated by damn near the entire film community. So ya, go ahead and retire, and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

1. Calm down.
2. People are complicated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Didn't he claim to have a prequel and sequel to Red Tails in mind not a few days ago? What was that all about, then?

On the Daily Show this week he actually said "There is a prequel and a sequel, and they're better than this movie by a longshot".

The quote is a little out of context, he means the true story has potential for better films to be made, but still . . . classic Lucas.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All hatred aside though, I'm always happy to be proven wrong. If Lucas goes and makes something amazing again I'd be the first one to say "well done", but you've gotta earn it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A couple decades ago he could have had his way with hollywood and hollywood would have bent over with a smile and a happy tune to whistle. That was before he sat on his ass for 8 years and then decided to make three very expensive bad movies. But even those movies made a money.

Frankly, all of his movies tend to make a bucketload of money, and both Lucas and the studios know this. The studios didn't turn down Red Tails because they didn't think it would fly, they probably didn't want to deal with Lucas and his army of yes men.

And as for the Star Wars shit, Lucas totally has the right to go back and change the movies. They're his movies, after all. But even if the previous, un-fucked-with versions were terrible, you should still preserve them. You should still have them around so the 'fixed' versions can be appreciated that much more. People should be able to see the original theatrical versions of the Star Wars films, and I mean the real theatrical versions, not the remastered ones. Have the original theatrical versions that are rough around the edges out there. If you don't see that stuff, then you can't appreciate how much better some of the cleaned up scenes look in the later revisions.

Show someone the final cut of Blade Runner and they'll probably like it OK. Show them the original theatrical version first, tho, and they'll think the final cut was some kind of gift from the gods. It's the same with the old film "Warriors of the Wind" compared to "Nausicaa", or the originally released version(s) of "The Thief and the Cobbler" compared to the Re-Cobbled Edition. Having the crappy old versions allows us to appreciate the improved versions.

Or in this case, having the originals around would allow these youngsters to see just how good Star Wars was before there were CGI dinosaurs and slapstick stormtroopers doing stuff in the background.

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2012-01-18 15:58:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

He has tried to branch out, it's just that those projects haven't done all that well. If stuff like Tucker, or the Young Indy TV series, had been big hits Lucas probably would have kept going in that direction.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down