Re: Suggest a movie!

Until you get to the end of the third one, where Trillian gets all serious and philosophical. And then the fourth one is a drama with a tearjerker ending, and in the fifth one everyone dies.

But up to that point? Hilarious!

EDIT: Oh, but Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast was pretty great. Quibble all you want with everything else in the movie, but I thought he was just perfect.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-05-19 01:49:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...trowing "Trainspotting" in the mix...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bill Nighy, absolutely brilliant piece of casting there. And honestly I could totally buy Sam Rockwell as Zaphod if they hadn't completed fucked up his second head and third arm, just to keep him a pretty boy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Original King Kong anybody?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

Yeah, the Hitchhiker's movie was pretty awful.

Kyle, you know handful of the bits where the movie would show an entry from the Guide and it was weird and quirky and just the way things were phrased and constructed were hysterical? The books are like that the entire time.

That's what I've gathered.  Still though, I have to say I enjoyed the movie on its own merits.  It may not have been the best adaptation, but you throw the guy from the office, Sam Rockwell, Zoey Deschanel, Bill Nighy, Mos Def, and Alan Rickman in a film together and I'm probably going to have a great time.

And I loved the SPIRIT of the movie.  If that same "y'know, the universe is pretty ridiculous and probably way more ridiculous than we know" spirit is at the core of the books, then that was conveyed totally to me.

I really do need to get around to reading them, though.

TrowaGP02a wrote:

Original King Kong anybody?

I'm guessing nobody has that DVD.  I don't know how you feel about Nostalgia Critic but he recently did an Old vs. New for the original and latest Kongs, it's pretty good.

Last edited by Kyle (2010-05-19 16:09:45)

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:

It took me a legitimate four or five tries to get through Master and Commander.  I enjoyed everything I saw every time, as I'm a bit of an enthusiast for that period of history, but it just moved too slowly for me to be able to sit down and invest a chunk of my time into it.  When I finally did, yes, great movie, but man does it drag when you really want to see more naval battling.

I was really fired up for M&C. I had read about 14 of the novels, and Crowe and Bettany seemed perfect. I don't fault the film for lumping three or so books together, but I was really disappointed that they didn't do the sensible thing and show the characters' first meeting and their gradual rise to prominence. The two characters' parallel (but very different) ascendancy and their friendship despite rivalry over women are what make the books great, and they were an especially big part of the early books. Instead, the movie is just one big shipboard chase—and a strangely slow one.

I own it, but I don't think it would make that good of a DIF commentary.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Really? I really liked the whole in medias res thing, I guess because it didn't scream "hey look we're trying to start a franchise."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't even remember that Master & Commander had action in it. All I remember is Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany sailing around and arguing like an old gay couple.

I liked the movie, I just don't think of it as having any action.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know, I think that Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit would be also great for a commentary. Aardman = classic.

And Unbreakable (best superhero movie ever) would be interesting, too.

As for more obsure movies, Kontroll would be a good choice. A debut of Nimrod Antal, director of Vacancy and upcoming Predators. A symbolical thriller set in Budapest subway; hard to forget.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lemme ask you guys this. If we were to ever do a live chatroom with a recording (wouldn't be up for download later or anything, just, lol, webcam connected to the mixer board), what sort of episode would you like that to be?

I'm thinking we could have some fun with that very intermittently, not a regular thing, but perhaps starting with a The Core drinking game episode.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really want to do the Happening and I think it might be neat to do the entire Shyamalan ouvre in one go over the span of a few weeks, really try to figure out what the fuck is up with that dude.

I like that idea. We could have panelist months, where we do Eddie month and hit the noir stuff he wants to do, and Brian month which will forever be associated with his desire to watch all of Shyamalan.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, that sounds like a neat idea - HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

It's a cool idea, though, for realsies.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In terms of theme months, I've been thinking it might be interesting to do the four iterations of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" over the course of consecutive weeks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Love that, too.

So, these ideas being said, now I really want to know how the listeners feel. Could you handle four similar episodes in a row? Four Shyamalans, four old noir movies, a movie and three remakes?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm that idea greatly depends on the actual execution of the event.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

YOULL LISTEN TO WHAT WE GIVE YOU AND LIKE IT

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a podcast, dude. If I don't want to listen to four Shamalammadingdongs in a row, I can save em up and listen to them later, with breaks in between or whatever. Do theme months if you want. Let your heart soar.

I'm more interested in this live-something-dealy-whatever-you-said. Are you talking about streaming the show live with a chat room? Cause that'd be wicked cool, if you aren't dicks and do it on a Tuesday at midnight or some nonsense. Not that I'm bitter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hee hee. It'd be the usual chat room, which has a webcam feature that we've stress tested with success as yet. (Long broadcasts, etc..) Split off the mixer board into the mic jack of that computer, whabam. It would probably be mid-afternoon on a Sunday.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Then I say yes, yes, a thousand times yes, and Heaven help those who'd dare to stand against us.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As this tangent of the chat room continues, throw in an opinion on The Core drinking game, or if it should be some other movie.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As I have yet to reach the legal age I am somewhat moot on the idea of a drinking game episode. Although I would be there just to watch you all.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Regarding Master and Commander:

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Really? I really liked the whole in medias res thing, I guess because it didn't scream "hey look we're trying to start a franchise."

And, usually, book series don't start off with that first meeting. An author comes up with a story set in the middle of the main character's lives, and only later when faced with either a lack of ideas or an aging cast goes back to do an origin story. Hornblower, The Stainless Steel Rat... even the Dragonriders of Pern books do this.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

YOULL LISTEN TO WHAT WE GIVE YOU AND LIKE IT

In general, I support this policy too.    I don't feel any need for DIF to be completist with movie series, or all of a given director's movies, just because they exist.   If they're all worth talking about then fine.   

Not that suggestions are unwelcome - Constantine and Sunshine were bumped up because they were repeatedly mentioned in the suggestion thread and we wanted to do them anyway.   On the other hand, I don't feel any urgency to do the oft-suggested BTTF series.  They're classics, sure, but what the heck is left to say about them?

But The Core?  Yeah, there's plenty to say about that.   And in the end, that's what makes a good candidate for a DIF episode.