Topic: Where were you when it all went down?

Group of my mates and I were at Rockstock, one of those local radio sponsored music festivals, 1998-ish. Soundgarden, Rage against the Machine and such acts. Very neo-hippy stoner crowd, stadium sized, sloped-lawn seating.

We notice a hubbub as the security team pursues a skinny skater-type individual along the back fence at the crest of the slope. He's shouting about how they want to narc his stash, or whatever. As he makes his way behand and past us-- by now the whole lawn is paying attention to the chase-- my buddy stands up and shouts, "REVOLUTION!!" with no particular plan other than to entertain.

But there's a silent beat among the crowd and then everyone jumps to their feet shouting, and maybe one in ten of them starts running toward the action.  The net effect being that the fugitive found himself in friendly cover and the security guys had no hope of making the guy again.

It was not televised, just as that man on the TV had predicted.

Where were you?

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Where were you when it all went down?

I was in a "town hall" meeting at my high school, a hundred or so people in the room, and the principal announced the student council was in need of a Discipline Chair, someone who would figure out the right recourse for whatever stupid shit some kid would do at a later date. Elections were to be held. The principal asked who wanted to run.

There was silence.

I stood up and said "I'll run. I'm officially announcing my campaign for the position. Vote for Fig."

Across the room, Kyle stood up. "I'm running too. Screw that guy. It's on."

We papered the halls (of our tiny school), we had enormous rallies (at our tiny school), we produced elaborate smear ads (at our tiny school). The vicious campaign grew larger and larger. The stakes grew, the scope widened, and we found ourselves at a dramatic, emotional impasse. In a televised (at our tiny school) event, Kyle and I announced we would BOTH take the position, and stop this madness.

We actually didn't care and never went to a meeting the end.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Brilliant!!
Adminstrative judo, subverting their intentions, thinking for yourself under a conformist regime!!

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-05-11 20:23:01)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was fifteen, I'd just moved to a new school where I didn't know anybody.  I was told to shadow this dude named Fig, who was a chubby, sarcastic looking sort in glasses with spiky hair.  He was cool and we hit it off, based upon a mutual appreciation for Arby's and showing off.

About a week into this relationship, at a school Town Hall meeting, they announced that the guy elected to be Discipline Chair had resigned upon learning that there was work involved.  Since that guy had run unopposed, it was generally assumed that anyone who wanted the job could probably just ask for it.  Across the room, I see Fig stand and announce he wanted to do it.  I stood.  His eyes met mine, piercing green locked against the color of backlit root beer.  I announced that he could have that chairmanship over my dead body.

Over the next few weeks, we shot several "smear" ads against one another, and several "I approved this message" type hype videos.  We filmed a debate cohabitating the same bathtub.  I mooned the camera many times.

The final hype video prior to the election was shown, as the others were, before the entire school.  As the credits rolled, so did the footage of my bare ass.

The reception to these projects was tremendous.  The reception to my ass was lukewarm at best.  As such, I decided to stop trying to use my ass to get places in life, and instead use Fig.

And that's the story of how I became Teague's Jason Mewes.

When.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Two sides to every story, and now we know who the real hero was.

Hat tip to C-Spin in the chatbox for perfect google fu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaRtqrlGy8

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-05-11 20:47:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure the revolution was televised. I think I've got it on DVD somewhere.

In all seriousness, when I was in college in 1989, my roommates asked me, "Why do you watch the evening news on one channel and then switch to another network and watch THAT evening news?" And I said, "Because THEY'RE TEARING DOWN THE BERLIN WALL, YOU IDIOTS. THE WHOLE FUCKING EASTERN BLOC IS CRUMBLING."

It was goddamned exciting if you were paying attention.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah, I was taking German language classes at that time. Both of my instructors, Die Frauen Mast und Schmidt had their share of stories of sheiss that had gone down back in their respective days. One had survived Dresdens' firebombing by leaping into the Danube(?), the other had walked from the Polish/German territories with her family to get into Allied territory before the Russians took control. '89 meant a whole lot to them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was at my home, in my room, showing my friend the highly acclaimed terrorist centric comedy movie "Four Lions".

Show
We were at the end scene where a reporter is showing footage of the main characters aiming a rocket launcher the wrong way and accidentally killing Osama Bin Laden.

All of a sudden my mom walks into the room and tells us that there's breaking news happening. We rushed downstairs, bewildered by the irony of the situation, as Obama went on tv and announced that Osama Bin Laden had in fact been killed.

Last edited by dj_bakerman (2012-05-12 06:10:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was lying prone in the back of a Chevy Suburban returning from the shuttle launch when I found out about OBL's death from facebook mobile.

Since we all know 'coincidence' is bunk, I guess I have you to thank for that momentus event!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was 10, it was a Tuesday. I was home sick from school. I was set up on the couch in the living room, I had a bowl of cereal and was surrounded by blankets. I was watching some cartoon, and suddenly the channel switched over to a news report, about some building. I remember switching through the channels trying to find something else...but the exact same image was on every channel. Over the next few hours I watched it all unfold. I don't remember it vividly, but I remember certain elements of it.

I remember the first tower falling. I remember the screams. I remember the look on the news anchors face. I remember the disbelief. After that it's all a bit of a smear.

And then life went on. I went to school the next day, and there was something different in the air, but I'm pretty sure I'm only realizing it looking back on it. And then I spent the entirety of my teen years growing up with the Bush administration.

Of course at the time I couldn't truly understand what was happening, it was just the thing stopping me from watching cartoons. Only as I grew up did I really understand what was watching that day. It's funny how that works.

You know, I can't even remember a time when the US wasn't in the middle east. It's always just been a fact of life for me. It's scary.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-12 15:57:38)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

There you go, man: an interesting slice of life, a young man's awakening and emergence from the protected bubble of childhood.

I have very similar memories of president Carter's hostage crisis, only I was more like 5 or 6. It dragged on in the news for so long it ended up making an impression on me in spite of my lack of interest or understanding. The US being "in" the middle east has been a fact of life for all but the eldest of us, I suppose!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's the weird thing though, I didn't actually understand any of it at the time. Like I said, it was just this thing, that everyone said was really bad and I could tell because everyone was so horrified, but just a thing standing in between me and my cartoons when I was sick. And only as I grew up that the horror actual became real.

Anyways, new story. This one probably won't be interesting to most of you, but it stands as a high (incredibly low?) mark for me, as it contains a record that still stands to this day. Also this might come off a bit angry towards a certain person, but trust me it's not unjustified.

So, first year at VFS, about 4-5 months into the program we get this project. 13 shots, horror film, 3 minutes. So. One of the guys in our class had this idea to do a full sci-fi epic with it. And me being, well, me, decided that would be awesome, and I manage to get a few other guys interested and we team up. We spend the next week or so convincing our instructor to let us do it. He finally gives in. So we spend a week or so (The week right before a break) brainstorming ideas and coming up with a story. So I feel we have some good ideas going around, but that we need to have a script locked before the break so we could launch straight into preproduction and production right away (It was maybe 4 weeks from deadline, from when we got back)...and they all agree, the guy who created the group says he can do it, no problem. 4 days later. Nothing, despite his constant assurances he was "working on it". So break comes and he has nothing. So I say fine, screw that,... and I spend a couple days over break writing the script. No big deal for me, I enjoy doing it, and it's not like I had anything better to do.
We get back from break, I have script in hand, the rest of the guys love it...he puts up a fight. So I spend the next few days fighting with him about it, while also trying to put wheels in motion to actually get the fucking thing made.

Now some info. Our team was 5 guys. 2 afx guys, 2 3D guys and a sound guy. 3 of them were awesome and one of them was me.

Anyways. So I start stressing out, trying to find actors, get costumes together, building 3D models, texturing, yada yada you know the drill. Finally we find some actors, one is awesome and I still know him to this day, the other not so much, but beggars can't be choosers. We do the shoot (Full greenscreen btw, with one of the actors in full makeup), on a greenscreen set that was was too small. The shoot goes off well for the most part...until we get the footage back. Someone *cough* not naming names *cough* who said they knew "everything about the cameras", had left the gain on high. And if you don't know anything about cameras...basically that meant the footage was grainy as FUCK. Meaning virtually impossible to key. So anyways. Myself and the other 3D guy are pumping out renders, we had an entire lab and a half running our renders for nights on end. And we're passing on our renders to the afx guys (well guy...a certain man decided to not really be in the picture at this point). All this time the sound guy has been collecting recordings and effects and doing a seriously kickass job.

So in our short, we have some holographic displays, like you do, and a certain...ahem...person, was supposed to be in charge of half of them. Well needless to say 3 days before deadline he finally has something to show me. I say fine whatever chuck it in there let's go (This will make sense soon).

So a week before deadline comes (Again only 4 weeks earlier we had nothing but a script) and we barely have a movie. So I sit myself down and start working...for 5 days straight. I go to classes in the day, go home and work, shower go to school work, stay all night, go home, work, shower, come to class. For a week. Part of this was stress induced insomnia as you can imagine, part of it was an overwhelming passion to make this work. By the end of the week we were all staying there all night. We finally, finally got our final render out 15 minutes before the class it was due and being presented in. I was fried beyond anything I had ever before or have ever since experienced. So I hand over the dvd and crash in a chair.

It plays, and everyone loves it. I'm happy. I'm seeing spots...closest I've ever gotten to hallucinating btw. I tap out and head home (70 minute train ride...that just about killed me) get home and crash for 26 hours (It was the weekend, don't worry).

Now about that hologram my dear comrade "designed" and "created" from "scratch". A couple months after the project was done and I'd managed to repress most of it. I decided to watch, Iron Man of all things. And I noticed a remarkably familiar item. Needless to say I was pissed, but by then it had sort of become common knowledge this was not even remotely out of character for him, suprise suprise. So I didn't even bother.

So that's the story of the most intense film-making experience I've ever had. Oh and if you're wondering, the film in question is here: (I know the copyright thing might come around to bite me in the ass eventually, but I'm not doing anything with it and it's just sitting there and it's not going anywhere, I think you'll see why. But it still sucks):

(Yep, it's horrible. but remember, this is pretty much the first real movie I ever made. And we did it in 5 weeks, with effectively 4 guys).

So in conclusion, I used to be even more fucking insane than I am right now. Of course, without that I never would have gotten the taste of blood for directing and I'd probably be a very different artist than I am now. So there's that.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-13 04:40:54)

ZangrethorDigital.ca