Re: #31 - Chat: The Avengers

Brian wrote:
Faldor wrote:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/577642_10150781251875794_210375085793_9836609_1494591300_n.jpg

Ya know, I don't get this either. Yes, Scarlett Johansson is a beautiful woman and that fact is well and prominently displayed. But there is a knee jerk feminism implied in that cartoon that's kind of ridiculous. Are we objectifying Scarlett Johansson and putting her in outfits and poses that make it easier for us to fantasize having sex with her? Yeeesss.

Are we somehow not doing that with the guys? Cause we kinda are.

As one of the people here who is actually attracted to guys, no. It's not even close to the same level. Go look at the cover of a romance novel for women, then at this poster again. THAT is sexualization and objectification of the male form, THIS is not. You're confusing the fact that there are good looking men on the poster with the idea that this means they must be innately sexualized, but the fact that they're not posing anything like Black Widow shows that's nonsense. Because if just being good looking were all that mattered, she wouldn't have to pose like that either.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can anyone looking at the guys-posing-as-girls poster get the mental image of the Hulk as the goatse guy out of their head?

Neither can I. Not happy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Can anyone looking at the guys-posing-as-girls poster get the mental image of the Hulk as the goatse guy out of their head?

http://www.trudang.com/images/bane.jpg

big_smile

Trey wrote:

big_smile

RUINED FOREVER.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

... Would sir care for a ... breath ... mint?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Neither can I. Not happy.

Glad I don't know who that is, which is why I said 'Ace Ventura' earlier.

Aaaaaah, ignorance is bliss....

(looks up Goatse)....HOLY FUCK, MY EYES!!!! KILL IT, KIIIIIILLLLL IIIIIIIT!!!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dammit, Trey. Now all I'll be able to think of during the film is goatse.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Go look at the cover of a romance novel for women, then at this poster again.

I'm seeing a lot of pecs and arms, which is what I'm seeing in the Avengers promo. Am I wrong?

Sure, the various Avengers aren't shirtless (besides Hulk, and I wouldn't even really count him in this discussion, though I guess some people are probably into that), but neither is Johansson for that matter, and it's not a detail in the marketer's control anyhow.

http://www.trashionista.com/images/2008/01/08/ladyofwinter_bg_042.jpg

Long flowing hair. Check.
Flexed, bulging muscles. Check.
Overly dramatic lighting. Check.
Pose that screams I'm trying to be cool. Check.

The only difference I'm seeing is that the novel covers all have half dressed women fawning over the man. Is that what it takes for something be considered sexualizing the male form?

From where I'm sitting, Captain Americas suit is pretty tight. So is Black Widows. Hell, Hawkeyes in a tanktop.

By your own example of romance novel covers, the men and women are very clearly displayed differently. The man is meant to be commanding, in charge, dominating. Check for the avengers. While the woman is letting a little something show, if you know what I mean. Also check.

I don't see how there is any difference.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-13 05:46:31)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You're right, seeing them side by side, I have to take it back: even the men on the covers of romance novels aren't as sexualized and objectified as the average comic book female.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

By your own example of romance novel covers, the men and women are very clearly displayed differently. The man is meant to be commanding, in charge, dominating. Check for the avengers. While the woman is letting a little something show, if you know what I mean. Also check.

I don't see how there is any difference.

You're right, there isn't one. The men are dominant and powerful and the women are comparatively weak sexual objects there almost solely as eye candy.

This is not the definition of a sexist portrayal, how?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

You're right, there isn't one. The men are dominant and powerful and the women are comparatively weak sexual objects there almost solely as eye candy.

You seem to be under the opinion that portraying men as dominant and powerful isn't sexualizing them.

There's a reason a market for those books exist. It's to fantasize that they are the ones in his arms, being rescued, wooed, whatever. To be lost in the powerful arms of a strong man.

Please explain to me how that is any different than the millions of guys out there thinking about Scarlett's ass.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-13 06:33:34)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

How awful it must be for us men to be broadly generalized in the culture as strong and powerful. That is exactly the same as women being broadly generalized as sexual objects for the gratification of aforementioned strong and powerful men.

Come on.

EDIT: It's worth noting, by the way, that this "Avengers poses" thing is not taking place in a vacuum. The sexist portrayal of women in the way they're forced to pose and dress was an issue raised in the larger culture before this poster came out, including articles all about explaining the difference we're discussing now.

Last edited by Dorkman (2012-05-13 06:36:27)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oooon the subject of NOT having sex with superheroes.... I greatly enjoyed The Avengers. I think it's interesting that it's basically a mystery without any clues and the B story carries the film until Joss ties the two together.

Also, wow Michael was drunk during this episode. And yet still coherent.

"He was texting me the whole time." Bad Trey!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

"He was texting me the whole time." Bad Trey!

Bad quote.    I texted Teague before the movie started, not during.

My god. You honestly believe it doesn't cut both ways.

So yeah, I'm walking away from this.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

It demonstrably doesn't. Belief doesn't enter into it. But I know it's easier to dismiss than address.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Ratatouille. Why not Avengers...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545643_428093467203216_100000076980914_1615871_2075692136_n.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Random note that I might have brought up but don't remember because I was drunk and am too embarrassed to listen to it: the place I worked on the 3D conversion, one of my coworkers looked almost exactly like Loki. He got most of the Loki shots in our sequences.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Hulk question is, I think, answered by the end of The Incredible Hulk and what Banner says in this film: he is always controlling himself and so can turn into the Hulk at will, in which case he can point the Hulk in the direction of the bad guys or even NOT smash things, which is what he was about to demonstrate when everyone freaked out that he had picked up Loki's scepter. But if something makes him lose control, he Hulks out involuntarily and attacks it, as he did when Black Widow lied to him again when they were under attack.

Small note: Brian says Cap's shield is adamantium. This version (from his movie) is vibranium. It kind of bothered me that it made a ringing noise. It shouldn't vibrate.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-05-13 07:34:24)

Dorkman wrote:

How awful it must be for us men to be broadly generalized in the culture as strong and powerful. That is exactly the same as women being broadly generalized as sexual objects for the gratification of aforementioned strong and powerful men.

Over time the idea of what is sexual shifts, and parts of society are moving towards equality faster than others.

http://journeyto75kg.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/strong-is-the-new-skinny.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m051s9dvsm1r4eobjo1_500.jpg

The idea that a woman's sexuality is tied to her vulnerability is deeply entrenched, and has been re-enforced for thousands of years. There's no overnight fix to that, no magic button to push that's going to make fathers and mothers raise their children differently. This is a change that will take generations, and as the people who are shaping our culture and identity, the people who create the media need to take responsibility for beginning the process.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So…the serialization of men is OK because it's POSITIVE? K.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

It demonstrably doesn't.

What a charmed life you must lead. Never having anyone hold you up to a gold standard the media shoves down our throats, that no living man can even hope to match. And of course we all know that it's impossible for something like that to drive a man to have low esteem, or even gods forbid an eating disorder. Because they're stereotyped as being strong and in control, so it's impossible for a man to be weak, right? That's how this works, right? Just like all women are sexual objects only here to stared at and used?

You can sit there and be snarky and dismissive all you want, but that doesn't change the fact unrealistic portrayals of either sex in the media, cut both ways. (And yes, by the guys of the Avengers being these unattainable perfections of what man should be, they are being sexualized. And same goes for Black Widow...except about women...yeah. It's that simple.)

And back to point. In the Avengers image, Black Widow has her particular assets on display because that's what the media believes all men want women to be. And the guys are shown as dominating and powerful because that's what they believe all women want men to be like (And every girl I've talked to about the movie has not proved that wrong yet.)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-13 14:17:13)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dorkman wrote:

Random note that I might have brought up but don't remember because I was drunk and am too embarrassed to listen to it: the place I worked on the 3D conversion, one of my coworkers looked almost exactly like Loki. He got most of the Loki shots in our sequences.

If I recall correctly, you hardly speak at all during the Avengers talk. You are all over the Thor commentary (I'd avoid that big_smile) and the chat in between but when it came time for you all to talk Avengers, you were quiet. It looked as though you fell asleep and it actually prompted cries of 'please check on Mike' from the chatroom. We were just glad when you did say something smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who sexualized who.

We're all adults. Let's sexualize everyone!

Zarban wrote:

We're all adults. Let's sexualize everyone!

I approve this message.

ZangrethorDigital.ca