Re: #31 - Chat: The Avengers

Gregory Harbin wrote:

So…the serialization of men is OK because it's POSITIVE? K.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

What a charmed life you must lead. Never having anyone hold you up to a gold standard the media shoves down our throats, that no living man can even hope to match. And of course we all know that it's impossible for something like that to drive a man to have low esteem, or even gods forbid an eating disorder. Because they're stereotyped as being strong and in control, so it's impossible for a man to be weak, right? That's how this works, right? Just like all women are sexual objects only here to stared at and used?

Both of you are failing to understand the difference between idealization and sexualization. I'm not arguing that comic book men (and sure, men in the media in general, but especially in comic books) aren't idealized portrayals that skew the idea of what a man is "supposed" to look like.

But these idealized men are not, then, on top of that, reduced to shaking their money makers in every pose and panel as though that's all they exist to do. If they were, it would look more like the image on the right of the "If the Avengers posed like Black Widow" image. Which is the point that everyone seems intent on missing.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

You can sit there and be snarky and dismissive all you want

Pretty sure you're the one who responded to two links I gave to help illuminate this issue with nothing more substantial than "My god...I'm gonna walk away from this." That would be snarky and dismissive. I'm actually making an argument here and providing further clarification.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

And yes, by the guys of the Avengers being these unattainable perfections of what man should be, they are being sexualized.

No. You don't get to invent alternate definitions of words just to make your argument work. Idealization is not sexualization.

Both are sexist portrayals. But they are not equally sexist. The image is exaggerating the point, but it could work the other way -- what if Black Widow simply posed like the other Avengers? She still has breasts and is wearing skin-tight suits. Why can't she pose like the guys? Why must she be "presenting"?

EDIT: Let me try to be concise. If the men posed like the woman, they'd look ridiculous. Because she's posed ridiculously. If the woman posed like the men, she wouldn't look ridiculous. Because they are not posed ridiculously.

Last edited by Dorkman (2012-05-13 18:15:11)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

It's important not to lose sight of the fact that, generally, all of us like feeling a bit sexy.

What's relevant is what we in an affluent Western society believe is sexy in men and women. Historically these have been very different standards, because the genders have played very different roles. We're beginning to see the start of the break down of those archetypes, and Jim Cameron / Ridley Scott with their strong female leads are partially to thank.

As Dorkman pointed out, ideal and sexual are different things. Ideals are never going to be something which doesn't exist, but a healthy, competent one is better than passive and weak. Sadly, donuts aren't your friend in any scenario.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Passive? Weak? Are these seriously adjectives we're supposed to believe describe Black Widow?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The discussion is about the poster, and gender roles in general, not the character. She's presenting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want to know what exactly Fury's plan was for getting Hulk in the Hulk Canister so he could be ejected from the airship, and how exactly he justified building said Hulk Canister into the airship in the first place.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Kittens. Hulk pet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I want to know what exactly Fury's plan was for getting Hulk in the Hulk Canister so he could be ejected from the airship, and how exactly he justified building said Hulk Canister into the airship in the first place.

I think the plan was to keep Banner in there, so that if he Hulked out he would be ejected.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But as soon as he was actually on board he was free range. So that can't be right.

And now I can't stop thinking about freerange hulks.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-05-13 23:54:11)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The poses are one thing, what I'm thinking of are the outfits themselves.
http://www.kevinism.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/slutty_superheroes.jpg

http://feministphilosophers.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/line2-29-10-620x418.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OPB20dHjHv4/T328EVvRGXI/AAAAAAAAALA/ZdTArok2SNI/s1600/superheroes-batman-superman-if-male-superhero-costumes-were-designed-like-female-superhero-costumes1.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

You know what else I would have liked to have seen in The Avengers (this movie I saw this weekend)? Nick Fury getting his legs and arm cut off. In the comics, in some versions anyway, he had these sweet robot bionic limbs.

Then, in another movie (maybe a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie), he gets knocked unconscious by an explosion, and his robotic limbs drag him to safety by themselves. How awesome would that be?

I think it's kinda dumb to argue about how Widow's dressed and posed. This is ostensibly a movie targeted at teenage / 20-something males. At the very least, it's based on books that are definitely targeted at that specific group. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they'd sexualize the one major female character. While the rest of the characters aren't necessarily sexualized, they're definitely idealized. The target demographic says "I want to be Cap, I want to be Hawkeye, I want to be Thor" but they don't say "I want to be Black Widow". They say "I want to be Thor and I want to fuck Black Widow".

If you don't like it, don't watch the movie. I like me some tits and ass, and I wish they made real exploitation movies and not all this politically-correct PG13 bullshit they make now. It's so hard to find good sleazy action movies today. Avengers one and only non PC thing is that poster. I've seen people complain that the other poster that shows her from the front is also sexist because the zipper on her shirt is partly open, but it's barely below her neckline. Meanwhile, every horror film for the last decade has had a full-on half-naked ass shot on the poster. The shitty part is that that's usually about as exploitative as most of those movies ever got as well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I think it's kinda dumb to argue about how Widow's dressed and posed. This is ostensibly a movie targeted at teenage / 20-something males. At the very least, it's based on books that are definitely targeted at that specific group. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they'd sexualize the one major female character. While the rest of the characters aren't necessarily sexualized, they're definitely idealized. The target demographic says "I want to be Cap, I want to be Hawkeye, I want to be Thor" but they don't say "I want to be Black Widow". They say "I want to be Thor and I want to fuck Black Widow".

And that is sexism and some people -- like the people who made that image -- find sexism objectionable. The target demographic would still see the movie if Black Widow weren't reduced to an object in the poster. It's sexist against men to think they need that and it's sexist toward women to put them in that position, literally and figuratively. Why not give girls someone THEY'D want to be?

Squiggly_P wrote:

If you don't like it, don't watch the movie.

Not even close to the point. The poster is a drop in a much larger bucket that some people would like to stop seeing drops continue to fill. It's a useful example that illuminates an issue in our culture and gets the conversation going.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

And that is sexism and some people -- like the people who made that image -- find sexism objectionable. The target demographic would still see the movie if Black Widow weren't reduced to an object in the poster. It's sexist against men to think they need that and it's sexist toward women to put them in that position, literally and figuratively. Why not give girls someone THEY'D want to be?

The reason why comic book women aren't role models is because comic books were never meant for women. Sure nowadays you can find some girls who enjoy comic books, but a decade ago I'm guessing it was extremely rare to find one who even knew who black widow was. Comic books were created for horny adolescent boys, which is why the gender roles are the way they are (one idealized and the other sexualized). Is it sexist? Probably, but this sort of stereotyping is present in many different genres. For example in family sitcoms it will often be the wife that is responsible/smart/solves problems while the husband is lazy/carefree/gets into problems. Or in the case of a black sitcom (a sitcom directed towards black people, not a dark comedy sitcom) the white families will be either rich/dumb or racist. I don't necessarily think its right to have these stereotypes, but that's where I think most of them stem from. Plus with a character like black widow you sort of need her to be over sexualized don't you? Since her name implies she seduces her targets then kills them when shes done with them.

Also @Squiggly you could watch suckerpunch, that movies basically made to be a sleazy action flick.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't accept "that's just how it's always been" as the rationale behind any form of discrimination.

Yes, women have always been portrayed as sex objects in comic books to pander to young men. The entire culture treats women as sex objects to pander primarily to young men. That is precisely the problem at issue here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree, I'm just saying this idea of stereotyping isn't unique to the comic book industry.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure. And I don't think anyone involved with the Avengers posing image or arguing from my side of the fence is advocating the idea that if only Black Widow weren't posing like that, sexism would be over. It's just if something is happening all the time everywhere you look, it's possible to become so inured to it you don't even notice. It's at the point where this kind of thing needs to be pointed out every time -- the poster in question being but one of many -- to actually shake things up and help people notice there's an issue. And there comes a point also where you have to say "Okay, from now on, no more passes on this." The poster just happens to have come out shortly after that line got drawn.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know what else? Tony Stark should have had a moment where he was forced to acknowledge Cap's awesomeness. "Everything that makes you special came out of a bottle"? We know that isn't true. Sure Iron Man put himself out there by accepting Cap's challenge of self-sacrifice, but it would have been greater if that moment was preceded by Iron Man seeing Cap take charge and put himself at risk, forcing him to say, "Now that's the hero my dad talked so much about."

Likewise, when Fury's assistant says Colson's trading cards were in his locker, Fury could have said, "They still are. These are mine."

I'm a shameless Cap fan.

Black Widow in the poster isn't the most egregious example I've seen; to my eyes it seems the mock poster is making a mountain out of a molehill in this case. The feminine anterior pelvic tilt angle she displays is a lot more natural that in poses you find in women's magazines and real comic covers. The fashion industry thrives on poses that accentuate the female form - that's where the common comic book pose you see comes from.

But the problem I find here is that the mock poster then comically overexaggerates the tilt on the male characters - in poses that you'd never, ever find female characters being drawn in. Shame really, because instead of drawing attention to an issue seriously the artist chose instead to clown around.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wonder where Odin was while his kids lay waste to America? Honestly, patents these days. Never would have happened if they'd had a damn good clip around the ear instead of being sent to the naughty step.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

I wonder where Odin was while his kids lay waste to America? Honestly, patents these days. Never would have happened if they'd had a damn good clip around the ear instead of being sent to the naughty step.

I think they briefly address that, when Thor lands on the plane and comes in, Loki has quick line about how "Odin must have had to summon up a lot of ju-ju juice to get you here."

It's something like that, basically it's assumed that Odin had to manually send Thor across the barrier, and it nearly put him a coma, or something like that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dave wrote:

Honestly, patents these days.

Yeah, man. Apple can go straight to hell.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Joss is wunderkind.

A bajillion dollars!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like we won't have to wait til the weekend for that billion dollar mark.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3443&p=.htm

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dorkman wrote:

Why not give girls someone THEY'D want to be?

Isn't that what romantic comedies are for?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

You know what else? Tony Stark should have had a moment where he was forced to acknowledge Cap's awesomeness. "Everything that makes you special came out of a bottle"? We know that isn't true. Sure Iron Man put himself out there by accepting Cap's challenge of self-sacrifice, but it would have been greater if that moment was preceded by Iron Man seeing Cap take charge and put himself at risk, forcing him to say, "Now that's the hero my dad talked so much about."

Likewise, when Fury's assistant says Colson's trading cards were in his locker, Fury could have said, "They still are. These are mine."

I'm a shameless Cap fan.

>> I totally agree with you.
One thing my friend and I were hoping to see would be a situation where the assembled members are trying to pick up Mjollnir(just so the audience can see that "only someone worthy could wield this weapon") ....
and of course, Tony comes nowhere near close to picking it up.
But, some situation occurs and they have to respond before Cap. can even try, and as they're leaving the room Thor leaves the hammer(thinking no one else can pick it up) and Cap. just picks it up (soooooooo easily) and hands it to Thor, saying something along the lines of: "You don't want to leave this lying around."

I seem to remember that this happened in one of the Avengers story lines.

What say you ?!

Those who would trade liberties for securities, deserve neither liberties, nor securities.
-Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down