Re: The old "next week" thread.

Possibly. I haven't done this before, but let's move this conversation into a pre-release 300 thread.

Back on the topic of suggesting movies and whatever else comes up next.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This isn't the thread where the topic is suggesting movies.

This is.

The discussion of the upcoming release before its release -- as was happening with 300 -- IS the topic of this thread. So I'm not sure why you decided discussing the upcoming release wasn't an appropriate topic for the thread that exists for the sole purpose of discussing the upcoming releases, and I'm definitely not sure what topic we're supposed to discuss instead.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This relates to my initial confusion of this thread for the "suggestion box" thread.

My not made up clarification is that this thread exists solely to be an announcement on the top of the boardview, not a real topic of conversation.

My made up defense is that, hey, if we're going to have the conversation online for all time, might as well all have it in the same place.

Let's discuss favorite breakfast foods.

http://capitalcitymama.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/french_toast.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You could have locked the topic if you didn't intend anyone to post in it.

You could lock it now, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*shrug* French toast.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

French toast is worthy. But it cannot surpass the mighty and sublime waffle.

And the pecan waffle? Well, just forget about it. Breakfast is a solved problem; let's turn our attention to other pursuits.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You must be new here. We have not just a thread, but a forum for that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have an excellent point. *pat pat*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love pancakes.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, go without checking in for a couple days and look at what you miss.

I'm in the "likes" 300 camp.

And French Toast is ok, but I prefer hash and eggs.

I'm in the never seen 300 camp so I have to rent it before listening to the commentary. I'm in the UK, so sync issues are a problem, but oddly if I watch the film on UK Blu Rays, they're always in sync. This happened with Gremlins, Die Hard, Star Trek, Star Trek VI and T2. Everything else has either been out or I have the region 1 dvd smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2010-05-21 11:11:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...weird. I guess Blu Rays wouldn't be consigned to the frame rate fuckery between NTSC and PAL because, well, it's not NTSC or PAL. Maybe we see them all at 24?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yup, that's it. Glorious isn't it?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are two ways to convert from God's frame rate — 24p — to PAL. You can either run the show through a hardware standards converter that does a frame-rate conversion without altering the total running time, or you can just conform the playback rate, which has the effect of shortening the film by about two and a half seconds per hour.

Maybe they're doing more of the former for Blu Ray and less of the latter?

</tv_nerd>

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's be awesome. That means these sync issues will go away fairly soon, as people switch to Blu-ray and online formats.

As you know, I listen to a lot of fan commentaries. UK PAL runs a little less than 4% faster than US NTSC (at least according to Windows Media Player's incremental playback speed settings). I haven't noticed that that's any different with Blu-Ray vs DVD, but that's comparing them to PAL and not each other.

Now, I also do commentaries myself via Skype with the Doctor from Speakeasy Commentaries. He's in the UK and feeds me the video in the US. Even so, we somehow remain in perfect sync whether I'm watching an NTSC DVD or Blu-Ray. Maybe his video ripping software converts his PAL DVDs to 24 fps or something.

Last edited by Zarban (2010-05-20 18:02:12)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Not sure, but I know I'm never in sync with region 2  (PAL) dvds, I wasn't with Constantine this week or Sunshine last week (don't have them on blu).

Oh, and I re-listened to the Ghostbusters commentary last week and that sounded perfect with my blu ray. I love blu ray. And commentaries smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, you know what I just realized? We don't know yet what's coming next week. Are we skipping the holiday weekend?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, uh, yah, you know, do you guys really feel that strongly that you need to do 300 again?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Heh. Well, we have Terminator 3 and The Core. First three people to voice an opinion will be the judge. Two out of three wins.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Release The Core!

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Core. I'm just not ready for T3.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aaaaand the Core it is.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So we're going to hear you talk about the first appearance of unobatainium in a movie.

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2010-05-28 15:25:04)

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RE: Next Week

One word...

FINALLY!!!!