Re: #32 - Talkin' Battleship

Hell, if you look in the credits of most old movies, you'll find some book or story credited. The difference is, back then they had the decency to change the title and all the characters so you couldn't tell smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think a better example is Chronicle. It's a wholly original idea with no-name stars, a no-name director, and a writer with...well, half a name, we'll say. And that was a breakout mainstream success.

There are so few major movie releases coming out this year that aren't based on existing material. The next major one is Brave, but that has the Pixar brand so even it doesn't really count.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's really depressing that we've come to this spot, because economics kind of inherently favor tried and true branding over original ideas, and it seems like there's no going back (especially with the currently enormous international movie market). It's like we've just been really lucky that the studios didn't really figure this out and embrace it until the 80s/90s, which is why you could have the top 5 grossing movies in almost every year of the 70s/80s be an original feeling movie. Now, what's interesting to me is that this doesn't necessarily mean the movies have to be original properties.

Look at 1982: We got E.T, Blade Runner, Road Warrior, Conan, The Thing, and Blade Runner coming out within weeks of each-other. Now these mostly aren't original properties, Blade Runner/Conan are book adaptations, Road Warrior is a sequel and The Thing is a remake, but I would argue that the movies themselves feel very original for their time, and have very distinct identities that have made them live on over the years.

Maybe the bigger issue than even the branding is just how goddamn similar every movie coming out feels these days, regardless of what it's originally based on. Slowly but surely, it feels like all personality or quirkiness has been leeched out of genre film-making, and worse still, audiences have become conditioned towards this to the point that they will tend to reject a movie that doesn't follow this template. Trey's comment about sky-scrapers falling down in every movie is very on-point, and I would argue the same thing has happened to creature design. When is the last time we've had a cool iconic movie creature? Attack the Block is the only really recent example I can think of, and that's a pretty tiny movie that made very little money at the box-office.

This is why District 9 and Children of Men were such a breath of fresh air when they came out, because they had a very unique tone, identity, and approach that does not follow the typical blockbuster mold.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To break from this topic a little, I'd just like to apply the comment about laziness in alien design to the whole movie. Everything was copy-pasted from something else. The alien suits were from Halo, that scene is from Jurassic Park, this console is from Half-Life. Talk about unoriginal, this is literally a movie that is assembled from bits of other properties whole-cloth! It sounds so familiar, it's almost like...

...oh my god.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/Surrogates2009MP.jpg/220px-Surrogates2009MP.jpg

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

To break from this topic a little, I'd just like to apply the comment about laziness in alien design to the whole movie. Everything was copy-pasted from something else. The alien suits were from Halo, that scene is from Jurassic Park, this console is from Half-Life. Talk about unoriginal, this is literally a movie that is assembled from bits of other properties whole-cloth! It sounds so familiar, it's almost like...

...oh my god.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/Surrogates2009MP.jpg/220px-Surrogates2009MP.jpg

What if this is no accident? What if... What if Battleship IS Transformers 4 as so many joked, but also the Surrogates prequel, as nobody suspected!?!? And John Turturro will take the Battleship alien ships and reverse engineer their technology, which will lead to many major break-throughs... Like the SURROGATES FROM SURROGATES YOU GUYS! And then in Surrogates 2 we find out that the aliens in Battleship were Decepticons but with creatures so the surrogates are ALSO FUCKING DECEPTICONS and they get triggered by the all-spark that Megatron found somewhere and they go crazy and NO GODDAMNED SKYSCRAPER IS SAFE BECAUSE DECEPTICON SURROGATES HAVE SEXUAL ADEQUACY ISSUES! I'm telling you, we're one Shia LeBeouf stinger away from the next Marvel universe...

So who's looking forward to Battleship Surrogates: The Revenge of the Transformening in 2016?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That. All of that. FUCK. YES.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

C-Spin wrote:

So who's looking forward to Battleship Surrogates: The Revenge of the Transformening in 2016?

and Bruce Willis will have his own Battleship that will look like a regular ship but with hair.

Last edited by Lamer (2012-05-23 03:24:36)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just watched Battleship...

I feel that I must preface this post with a bit context so that I don't sound like I'm completely retarded. Maybe it will make me sound even more retarded. I dunno.

I like bad movies. Most people would say that my love of bad movies is ironic, but I disagree. I find them often to be entertaining so long as they are aware of what they are. The Asylum movies are fun to watch because the people making them know they're making a movie called Megashark vs Giant Octopus. Micheal Bay, however, had no idea while making the Transformers movies that he was making that sort of movie. The Transformers films are Asylum films with big budgets, but without the self awareness. It's not just that the Transformers movies are utterly incoherent most of the time. Most B-Movies have plots that make no god damn sense.

The Room and Birdemic are shitty B-Movie versions of Transformers. Megashark is, in my opinion, a shitty B-Movie version of Battleship. The Room is a movie that you can learn to love in an ironic way. You guys were talking about a kid clopping around in his father's shoes acting stupid. It's adorable and you can't really hate it. I think a better analogy is when a kid is doing something that you're not really supposed to do. When a kid's at a restaurant and eating with his hands and has a face covered in spaghetti sauce, it's cute so long as the kid is young enough. If you're 40 and you're eating it like that you're going to be offending a lot of people and putting them off their appetite. That's the difference between The Room and Transformers. It's OK for the room to be a mess, cause the people making it don't know any better. The people making Transformers SHOULD know better, and DO know better, but they're acting like dumb kids with the immature humor and the really stupid plot and the pointless action scenes, etc.

When it comes to Megashark and Battleship, I guess you'd have to liken it more to... I dunno... Playing the piano, maybe. You've got really awesome action movies like The Avengers at one end that do a great job of playing a fucking awesome version of Hungarian Rhapsody No2 that sounds like this:

And then you've got Megashark doing it, and it's not as good and it's off tempo and there are missed notes and it's just not as well performed, but it's still HR No2. With Megashark, the movie is still fun and watchable on purpose. They know they can't make the effects look good, so they just push the scenario to the extreme to compensate. No budget or time for that shark effect? Well then have it jump to take out a 747 from 20,000 feet. Then not only does the effect look like crap, but there's no way in hell you could have possibly made it look good.

Finally you've got Battleship. When they play the song it's also not the best performance. In fact, the song isn't even the point of the performance.

For movies like Battleship, the performance is the goal. They're saying "yeah, this whole thing is ridiculous", but they've got the budget to make the effects look really good. Just like that shark, tho, no matter how good you get them to look, the concept is so far out there that it doesn't matter, and they totally know it. Imagine you're Peter Berg and you just got handed a lot of money to make a movie based on a board game, and then they hand you THAT script. There's no way in hell you think "now how can I make this a good movie?" You think "How can I make this as fun as possible to watch?" Personally, I think he made a number of pretty good decisions for this flick, and there's not much in the way of insultingly bad shit. There were only a few times where I gave the film negative points, and most of them were handed out in the first twenty minutes. The first scene is pure exposition. The very next scene is one of the worst 'as you know' scenes I've ever seen in a movie. "As you know, we are brothers and it is your birthday and you have no job, car or money".

Further, they pretty much pay off everything. This is pretty close to a 'perfect' movie, guys. They don't pay off the soccer game, aside from the fact that he's a douche who makes bad decisions at the beginning of the movie. The fact that these guys play soccer doesn't come back up. THAT IS ALL I can think of. Maybe I should watch it again...

They do pay off the freeway overpass killing scene, tho not the fact that they killed the freeway. They actually pay off a lot more than I was expecting. It's not the payoffs that suck, really, it's the setups, because at the time they set them up they seem utterly crazy, and the thing you think is important actually isn't. They're not setting up the fact that they're attacking infrastructure or anything. They're simply setting up the little death balls so that later when they get launched at the ship, you're aware of the threat they pose to the ship.

The cops tell the girl and the amputee to get off the mountain, right...  then they just leave them there instead of taking them along, and they leave the jeep to block the road. At the time I was like "WTF!? You left them there? You left the jeep? What the fuck kind of asshole cops are you?" And then they die, and that actually made me happy. And then the girl and the amputee get the keys from the dead cops, have a tense scene with Bippo the ADHD alien who gets distracted by random wildlife, and go back to the jeep to call for help. Everything in that previous scene mattered, but none of it made any god damn sense while they set it up for that. There's so much other stuff that's operating at that level of batshit crazy writing in this movie that it actually kinda works. There are some things that get really close to deus ex machina, but I think most of that stuff works fine.

I think the first draft of this movie had to have been fucking awful. I think they managed to have at least one writer who was handed a Transformers 2 type of script and managed to fix a lot of the glaring bullshit and kind of congeal the movie into something watchable, and there's actually a reason for pretty much every scene in the movie. It's not like the pot brownies / dogs fucking / parents eating snails scenes in Transformers 2, it's not like about 40% of Transformers 3... there are actual reasons for every scene that either set up the next scene or do something for the plot.

So...  yeah...  I'm gonna say that while this movie is not trying at all to be a serious movie, I actually found it pretty fun to watch. It's not insulting me or offending me every ten minutes like a lot of other big action movies, and that's really all I need to enjoy an action movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^ This relates to the earlier 'do big loud dumb summer blockbusters get a free pass from criticism?' debate.

Do 'CG effects demonstrations' count as movies? If we spend our money on them, knowing full well it's going to be dumb, do we have to right to wail about them being dumb?

There's also another factor that'll contribute to the future quality of big budget movies - the Chinese box office. The US domestic box office is becoming less important, which means producers will need to pay attention to what plays well in China. The Chinese have been isolated from western culture for so long and therefore didn't grow up with 1980s action movies that we sneer at now. It's all new for them. And if they love their new-found movie diet of cartoon wall-to-wall explosions without dialogue and simplistic good v evil plotlines, then that doesn't encourage sophistication and subtlety, morally ambiguity or self-aware genre references.

If you look at the top 100 all-time on box office mojo, US domestic box office used to be over half of total worldwide gross. Now the current top ten averages about a third, some even have a quarter, and that'll only continue to shrink.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Another podcast mentioned there's a Japanese character in the film (sub captain?), making the point that this was an obvious attempt to create interest in the Asian market, similar to how Toho would put B-grade Americans in its monster movies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's also another factor that'll contribute to the future quality of big budget movies - the Chinese box office. The US domestic box office is becoming less important, which means producers will need to pay attention to what plays well in China. The Chinese have been isolated from western culture for so long and therefore didn't grow up with 1980s action movies that we sneer at now. It's all new for them.

Would you believe, the current highest grossing film of the year in China is Titanic 3D with over $150m, and over 21m tickets sold. And it's probably going to stay at the top.

Battleship, by comparison has made $50m and sold just under 9m tickets.

http://insidekino.de/BO/CNTopII2012.htm
http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn … 2012-05-14

Last edited by lab276 (2012-05-23 15:22:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Paralyzed Woman Regains Use of Her Legs After 25 years in a Wheelchair; Walks Out of 'Battleship'

http://hollywoodandswine.com/paralyzed- … attleship/

If nothing else, Battleship is definitely better than Transformers 2, if for no other reason than because it's about a half hour shorter. Seriously, tho, I kinda enjoyed the hell out of it. By the time they were at the 'grid' part of the movie I was giggling pretty much nonstop at just how completely insane every aspect of the movie was.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

All of Rihanna's lines...

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/read-eve … eship.html

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Friday, Buffalo News critic Jeff Simon gave Battleship three stars, and in today's paper he took a swipe at those bashing the film, and all you young punk internet reviewers in general.

Didn't you link to some other dickheaded review by that guy a while back? For KICK-ASS or something? I'm pretty sure I remember another occasion where you brought him up like he was your old racist uncle.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like to think of dickheaded as an action verb.

"Then I dickheaded at an incredible speed to the humane society."

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://p.twimg.com/Atr7l6UCIAA1aPn.jpg:large

neutral

I need one of those shirts, so I can go buy that book asap.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Holy shit, stratified layers of fail in that photo.  Not only is there a Battleship novelization, but PETER DAVID wrote it?  Jesus...

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wouldn't read it with your dick, as they say

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think anyone says that...

Also, I have to say that I kinda wish the aliens had killed that kid at the baseball game. Not specifically targeted him, just ran him down when they decided the overpass was being too aggressive. That would have been a great kick the cat moment. Also, I wish the alien had cut off one of the amputee's metal legs so the prosthetic could have gotten some use in the fight sequence there:

Fight fight fight, alien cuts off amputee's leg, amputee lands on back stunned, dodges some kind of attack in the nick of time, shuffles backwards on the ground while the alien continues an assault, amputee catches the alien's arm just as the... stabby weapon thing is about to cut him wide open, they glare at each other as each of them struggle to overpower the other...

BAM!! Skinny scientist dude smashes the alien in the face with the amputee's severed prosthetic. After they beat the alien to death, the scientist says something like "Yeah, we kicked it's ass!" and the amputee says something like "That's my leg, motherfucker, I kicked it's ass."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Invid wrote:

Friday, Buffalo News critic Jeff Simon gave Battleship three stars, and in today's paper he took a swipe at those bashing the film, and all you young punk internet reviewers in general.

Didn't you link to some other dickheaded review by that guy a while back? For KICK-ASS or something? I'm pretty sure I remember another occasion where you brought him up like he was your old racist uncle.

I think it was for Inception, where he said there was no deep meaning behind it, or at least none intentionally put in. In that case I simply found it a fun counterpoint to the talk here, about a film I had no desire to see.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I just finished this podcast, probably the most depressing ending to DiF commentary I've heard which scares me. I mean, I figured Trey had been around the horn a couple of times but battleship apparently was the tipping point. But, like he said in Avengers, movies like that and Battleship will be a bunch of skyscrapers falling down. But, the fact that Battleship apparently took that and other affects to a whole new level puts me on the same level of Trey that Hollywood is just producing the same thing because somewhere there was a movie that made it and now that is all they make.
In my opinion, the video game looks better

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Something to help with the Battleship depression:

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And the future of movies:
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2012/05/16/16_rockpaperscissorposter.o.jpg/a_560x0.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down