Topic: Quotes

"Be Bold. Impossible: Redefine It. The most valuable thing that anyone will ever give you is their TIME. Not their money. Remember that. Ask for people's help. Not their permission. The 'squeaky wheel' should be dismantled and replaced. Be careful what you wish for because you will get it. Be even more careful what you work for because you will get it even more quickly. Remember those that help you. Help others when they need it. Don't EVER give up. Making films is hard. Awesome, but hard. You want easy, make a sandwich. Don't lose your focus. That little speck of light way off in the distance, don't stop until you're standing in it. If you have to, take a break, go to your corner, get some sleep but don't ever give up. You will get there."
Colin Cunningham

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Quotes

"Seven fifty plus tax, labour and materials included"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember The Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you -
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Therefore, make peace with your god,
Whatever you perceive him to be - hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up!"
Deteriorata

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
Steve Jobs

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"And park in handicapped spaces whenever cuz who cares, right?"
Steve Jobs

Last edited by paulou (2012-04-21 01:20:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh for fu........

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eh, you take the good with the bad.

Here's a nice incendiary one:

Pauline Kael wrote:

Let’s clear away a few misconceptions. Movies make hash of the schoolmarm’s approach of how well the artist fulfilled his intentions. Whatever the original intention of the writers and director, it is usually supplanted, as the production gets under way, by the intention to make money—and the industry judges the film by how well it fulfills that intention. But if you could see the “artist’s intentions” you’d probably wish you couldn’t anyway. Nothing is so deathly to enjoyment as the relentless march of a movie to fulfill its obvious purpose. This is, indeed, almost a defining characteristic of the hack director, as distinguished from an artist.
        The intention to make money is generally all too obvious. One of the excruciating comedies of our time is attending the new classes in cinema at the high schools where the students may quite shrewdly and accurately interpret the plot developments in a mediocre movie in terms of manipulation for a desired response while the teacher tries to explain everything in terms of the creative artist working out his theme—as if the conditions under which a movie is made and the market for which it is designed were irrelevant, as if the latest product from Warners or Universal should be analyzed like a lyric poem.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting your enemy to die."  - Nelson Mandela

and Brian will appreciate this one, as I said this quote verbatim to my son hours after he was born.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  - Kurt Vonnegut (God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)

and this is the letter that Bras father wrote after the birth of Bras first son, from Daytripper #10 (that's right bitches, comic book quotes).  Written in real life by Fabio Moon.

"Dear Son,
You're holding this letter now because this is the most important day of your life. You're about to have your first child. This means that the life you've built with such effort, that you've conquered, that you've earned, has finally reached the point where it no longer belongs to you. This baby is the new master of your life. He is the sole reason for your existence. You'll surrender your life to him, give him your heart and soul because you want him to be strong, to be brave enough to make all his decisions without you. So when he finally grows older, he won't need you. That's because one day you know you won't be there for him anymore. Only when you accept that you'll die can you let go and make the best out of life. And that's the big secret, that's the miracle. Your life is out of your hands now, just like mine has been since the day you were born. I'm writing this letter to congratulate you and admit that you don't need me anymore."

Last edited by Eddie (2012-04-22 16:57:02)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

"With real power comes real responsibility and I don't want any of that shit. I just want the money and the illusion of power... and puss." - Dennis Reynolds, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

"I am Spartacus." - Spartacus

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

I've had a couple on my Facebook page for a while now.

“Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.”
- Henry David Thoreau

"Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker."
("What does not kill me, makes me stronger")
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Everybody's playing the game, but nobody's rules are the same. Nobody's on Nobody's side."
-Tim Rice, the musical 'Chess'

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.” ~ Neil Gaiman

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m39dm8hyx21qe31lco1_r1_500.jpg

ZangrethorDigital.ca

"Never bribe a man with twenty dollars when you can bet him with ten." -Me

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children’s letters — sometimes very hastily — but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, “Dear Jim: I loved your card.” Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said, “Jim loved your card so much he ate it.” That to me was one of the highest compliments I’ve ever received. He didn’t care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it.
—Maurice Sendak

ZangrethorDigital.ca