Re: Suggest a movie!

I approve thoroughly of this derailment, and look forward to what's in SOTRE.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I too dislike Citizen Kane. It's unbelieveably overrated. It's always on those greatest films list, mostly because it was on another list that somebody made. Nearly every technique has been done better in movies since and the story isn't that great, with an unlikeable character and some pretty dodgy acting (I remember his wife being pretty awful). Thinking about it, I can't even remember the story, only the Rosebud bits.

Doesn't hold a candle to things from that era like 12 Angry Men.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Nearly every technique has been done better in movies since

Maybe, maybe not. But that's sort of beside the point, when you factor in the historical context of the fact that those things had never been done before.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They may have revolutionized several aspects of filmmaking with Citizen Kane, but they didn't do anything with bullet time, which I think we can all agree is a far more noteworthy revolutionary filmmaking tool.

Primer

I watched it recently and was really impressed with the 'hard science' aspect of it.  It's sort of a mindfuck, but i'd be interested to hear thoughts on it. 
granted, from a technical stanpoint, maybe it doesn't offer much (pretty amazing flick for 7,000, though), but I imagine you guys might have some good insight.... especially since it's a true indie film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, we are so gonna do Primer, and Trey is going to explain every single timeline and it's gonna be awesome. There will literally be no questions left after that commentary. That and Mulholland Drive, back to back. He'll make it allllllll okay.

(Seriously, we're gonna do Primer.)

Also, welcome to the forums Shackman!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll say Sgt. Bilko again. Do it. Come on.. come onnnnnn

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks guys.  I've been listening for a long time (and no Trey, i've never watched a movie with the commentaries because nearly every movie you've done i know really well) and needed to improve my slack to work ratio at the office.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's not so much that I also want you to do Primer. It's that I want to know why you're not doing it right now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TrowaGP02a wrote:

I'll say Sgt. Bilko again. Do it. Come on.. come onnnnnn

I LOVE THAT MOVIE. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.

EDIT: Jeff, because we already did it later. Think about it!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I imagine they are actually recording it right now, while listening to the previous Primer commentary (with a 3 second lead)...
how many iterations does it take to get to the center of a commentary?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One. Tahoo-oo. Three.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood.com/media/2008/08/mr-owl-425.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We, uh. Know that guy. Bertocci. I've known him eight years, Dorkman has known him longer because he's a dork.

Fun fact. smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Primer... OMH. That will be.......................................................interesting.

On a similar yet tangentiall vein...  you guys should do "11:14" too smile

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet but Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Definitely has enough going for it to spark conversation.

And for the record: For Pan's Labyrinth, I can see how you can dislike it, but I don't see how you can hate it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will say, never try watching Primer for the first time at 3 in the morning, it doesn't work. My brain still hurts.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I was reading the glossary and I think "Match Point"
is a "perfect film" IMO.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh man, I love love love Match Point. One of my most favorite movies of all time. I'd love if you guys did it.

posted from my ipad

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

posted from my ipad

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd! tongue

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Just did a search and no one has mentioned Cloverfield. It's not a perfect movie, but I definitely think it's one of the better theater experiences that I've had.

Then again, I may be biased because I followed the viral marketing campaign. Not to mention the fact that the first trailer debuted in front of Transformers as a nameless movie that starts at a 90210 party and ends with the Statue of Liberty head thrown down the street.

Seriously. Cloverfield. Do it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I second that. I'd like to hear what the DIF hive thinks of that movie.

(Er. I guess I could just keep that on my clipboard and paste it in here whenever somebody makes a good suggestion.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would hope that the god-awful Alien Resurrection (Withanerection) is on the cards for future podcasting?

mrjohnrain wrote:

I would hope that the god-awful Alien Resurrection (Withanerection) is on the cards for future podcasting?

Yeah, we are eventually gonna mercy kill that franchise and do the fourth Alien movie......

...but NO to AVP.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, come on. Alien Resurrection was not an objectively bad movie. It ranks way above, say, Pandorum.

Alien vs. Predator, on the other hand, was just boring.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Would also love to hear your thoughts on Superman 1-4 + Returns.

Also, Burton and Nolan Batman movies.