Topic: Finding old work and posting it

Sorry I haven't posted much. I don't mean to neglect this place. But Teague told to share stories and this one just popped into my head.

This short was entered into the Edmonton International Film Festival 24/One Challenge I think i want to say back in 06. I know it was an even year. Anyway...

I though I had lost this but I found it on an old DVD that I had on a shelf. So i blew the dust off of it and decided to rip it & put it up. It's one of my favorite shot shots that we have made. Plus it was fun to do a shoot out in an underground garage.

It's a simple story about a man who just wants to play a game and get through his boring life. However when he takes a job that someone passes off to him, he has anything but a regular day.

The process of creating a black and white HARSH look was difficult. I don't think i got exactly what i was going for. Some faces didn't take well to the effect and because of focus the detail gets lost in the background. What i wanted was a graphic novel look which I think I achieved in some shots, however not consistent enough.

It's really fun to go back and watch old work. Especially this one. I don't know why but our of all the shorts the documentary and news clips and packs that i have edited over the years this one always sticks with me.

Fun fact: We had to re-shoot over half of the film because of a hard drive error while shooting. The camera was jacked into a hard drive to get this 'save on time capturing' well that blew up in my face when i found out that the clips weren't capturing properly because the XL1-S' firewire port was pretty much a 'Don't friggin touch me while I'm working.'

So I didn't get to really work that much on story or dialogue due to the fact that we only had 24 hours and i just blew a few. This is one I would really love to re-visit some day.

Fun fact: This was also the short that I realized don't let your actors drink. They tend to wander.

Whew.

Thumbs up Thumbs down