Spanish Civil War

http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/panbehind~3.jpg

Doug Jones

Pan

Pan's Labyrinth trailer

Trey's Alien Autopsy: Faked or Fiction

An actual labrynth

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Del Toro has stated that the fantasy elements are actually happening. I'll see if I can find a link after I finish listening to the commentary.

My take: I'm one of those people who liked the flick, but I'm not sure I get it, or if it's possible for me to get it at all. I think it's one of those flicks that the director makes and puts a bunch of his own weird ideas into it without really giving a shit if anyone else is gonna get it or not. But there are a lot of parallels going on in the flick that I find interesting, just from what I remember, since I've not seen it in a year or so, and I'm only about halfway through the commentary:

Mercedes and Ofelia's stories are practically identical. Ofelia's 'fantasy' tasks are the same things that Mercedes is doing in real life.
1) Ofelia needs the key to get into the box, Mercedes needs a key to get into the storage shed
2) Ofelia seeks medical advice from the faun, Mercedes needs to keep getting medicine from the doctor.
3) Ofelia takes food from the pale man even though she's told not to, Mercedes takes food from the storage shed even though she's risking her life to do so.
4) Ofelia is discovered under the bed with the mandrake at the same time the doctor is discovered. The doctor and the mandrake are destroyed at the same time.
5) both are terrified of the captain with nothing left to keep them there, they flee together, both are captured.
6) Mercedes escapes and rescued, then Ofelia is 'rescued' from her room in the next scene.
7) Instead of using subterfuge, both of the characters actively 'attack' the Captain at the same time, attempting to take control of their own fates. Ofelia drugs him and takes her brother, Mercedes and the rebels attack the camp. The captain discovers both attacks at the same exact time.
8) Both of them save the baby at the end.

EDIT:
This is an interview with Del Toro on AIC about the film. Points out a number of interesting things...  things that make me want to re-watch the film again now that I've read it...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31084

I can't seem to find the interview where he flat-out stated that the ending was not just happening in her head, and that all the fantasy stuff was real. I think it becomes pretty obvious toward the end of the movie, tho, that this fantasy stuff is actually interacting with the real world...

Last edited by Squiggly_P (2010-06-07 05:37:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmmm...ok.  I think I see what Del Toro was going for now.  Thanks for the insight Squiggly, well done!

1. Wow, way to shake the ground the episode was built on. Strong post.

2. I need to rewatch it to verify your timeline, which isn't likely to happen soon. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt:

So? I'm not sure how that makes this more of a finely tuned story.

/devil's advocate

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the problem you had was you thought it was a fairy tale. It wasn't, it was a myth. Think The Hobbit, not The Little Mermaid. Hercules, not Alice.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Mercedes and Ofelia's stories are practically identical. Ofelia's 'fantasy' tasks are the same things that Mercedes is doing in real life.

While an interesting detail, I don't see what this adds to the film.

Okay, so the stories parallel each other in some details. And? What about them paralleling each other makes it useful in the telling of the story that they parallel each other? What has been gained in the telling of either story by reflecting it through the lens of the other? What common theme or moral are we supposed to get from this? They're still two effectively unrelated stories occurring side-by-side, regardless of how similarly they are structured.

Gregory Harbin wrote:

I think the problem you had was you thought it was a fairy tale. It wasn't, it was a myth.

No, it was clearly meant to be a fairy tale. The little girl is obsessed with fairy tales. Other characters accuse her of confusing real life with a fairy tale. She tells a fairy tale (badly) to her brother in her mother's womb. Quite aside from the fact that I don't see how it being a myth addresses the broader point that the movie is badly structured with no clear point, it repeatedly told the audience to regard it as a fairy tale. Saying it succeeded as a myth (arguable) is just another way of saying it failed as a fairy tale.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

I think the problem you had was you thought it was a fairy tale. It wasn't, it was a myth. Think The Hobbit, not The Little Mermaid. Hercules, not Alice.

If you had brought up Aeschylus’ The Oresteia and the new justice, and made some correlation, I may have given you a point.  Bilbo at the very least does some redeeming things, saves dwarves and the like, despite his overwhelming cowardice, and unless I am severely mistaken Hercules overcomes all his trials with flying fucking colors, proving he is one of the gods. What the hell makes you think it’s not a fairy tale?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How is it structured without a point? Yes, it's a story about the Spanish Civil War, and the stuff with the girl is meant to paralell what's happening in real life. My point of saying it wasn't a fairy tale was to speak against what Cloe said about it not following the 'rules.' Why on earth does it have to follow the rules that you associate with modern fairy tales? It's about a faun screwing with a little girl. Does Midsummer Night's Dream follow your fairy tale rules?

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just because A Midsummer Night's Dream has fairies in it does not make it a fairy tale. And yes, while not a particularly strong play, it does follow the rules it sets out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

CloeZ wrote:

Just because Pans Labyrinth has fairies in it does not make it a fairy tale.

The overwhelming thing I keep hearing from all you guys, is that it's missing and failing on all of these fairy tale points. So that begs the idea...what if it just isn't a fairy tale? So that's why it doesn't have those points.

It's the same basic concept as Midsummer Night, you assume that this fantasy story is a fairy tale (even though it's not) and then proceed to criticize it for failing on all these aspects that it wasn't trying to do. (Rough comparison, sue me)

DorkmanScott wrote:

No, it was clearly meant to be a fairy tale. The little girl is obsessed with fairy tales. Other characters accuse her of confusing real life with a fairy tale. She tells a fairy tale (badly) to her brother in her mother's womb.

Alright, so basically your entire premise for calling Pans Labyrinth a fairy tale consists of the following:

1)The little girl likes fairy tales: Shes a 10 year old girl...I would be more concerned if she wasn't obsessed with fairy tales. And I don't see how that dictates that it's a set up for a fairy tale story and not a simple fantasy based story.

2)She's accused of mixing fantasy and real life: Again, shes like 10, when aren't they in a fantasy world? And again, that could just as easily be set up for a typical fantasy based story.

3) She tells her brother a fairy tale. Well, what else are you going to tell him? A sherlock holmes story?

Your entire basis for saying this MUST be a fairy tale consist of stuff that any 10 year old would be doing anyways in real life.

DorkmanScott wrote:

Saying it succeeded as a myth (arguable) is just another way of saying it failed as a fairy tale.

And a mystery fails as an action adventure, whats your point?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-06-07 14:01:13)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

CloeZ wrote:

Just because A Midsummer Night's Dream has fairies in it does not make it a fairy tale.

That's. My. Exact. Point.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What I find is interesting in the GDT interview, is that it explains that she isn't actually "failing" any tests. Actually, the tests are there to teach her to think independently, so the "proper" reply to the test is to "fail" it in the traditional sense. It's a form of meta-test.

"Here, I give you these bullshit tests with bullshit rules. Your task, which I won't tell you, is to understand it's bullshit, and do the right thing"

Explained another way - she's Kirk, and the Faun is administering the Kobiashi Maru test.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2010-06-07 12:39:19)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap, you have no idea how much I love you right now.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

^ Seconded.  Thanks for saving me writing a much longer post Zap. smile

Thanks... though this doesn't mean I particularily like the movie, though.  I'm basically "with" the panel on the overall conclusion of the thing.

I thought it was a big "WTF" when I saw it, and I suffered cognitive dissonance between the brutality and the fairy stuff. I think it could have been much better, for example as suggested in the DiF episode, to make her hate the brother first, and then redeem herself in the end, and save the baby.

But wait - THAT "Labyrinth" movie was done by Henson. "You remind me of the Baby. What Baby? The baby with the power! What Power? The power of Voodoo! Who do? You do! Do what? Remind me of the Baby!"

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2010-06-07 16:31:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

Your entire basis for saying this MUST be a fairy tale consist of stuff that any 10 year old would be doing anyways in real life.

No. My basis for saying it's a fairy tale is the fact that the movie is repeatedly saying "O hai. I am a fairy tale." This movie isn't a fucking documentary. The repeated detail of her obsessions with fairy tales is included for a reason. We're supposed to draw a correlation between her obsession with fairy tales and the fantasy events that occur to her.

All the marketing and reviews took it as a foregone conclusion that this was a fairy tale, and GDT seemed perfectly content to go along with it in interviews, even referring to it as "a fairy tale for adults."

He was trying to make a fairy tale. This is not even a matter of opinion or interpretation. It's just a stone fact.

The question of whether or not he succeeded is more a matter of opinion, but again, the fact that the best defense so far proposed is the demonstrably wrong statement "It's not supposed to be a fairy tale!" is telling.

(Interestingly, the original version of the film's story, mentioned in the above article, would have worked much better as a fairy tale, and probably, for me, as a movie.)

MasterZap wrote:

What I find is interesting in the GDT interview, is that it explains that she isn't actually "failing" any tests. Actually, the tests are there to teach her to think independently, so the "proper" reply to the test is to "fail" it in the traditional sense. It's a form of meta-test.

Except, like the explanation that she has created this fantasy world to escape the horrors of her real world (which GDT also said and which would contradict his claim that the fantasy world is real), this is another explanation that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

She technically succeeds at the test with the toad. If she's supposed to think for herself there, she "fails," although what opportunity that test gave her for independent thought, I don't see it.

The test with the Pale Man isn't failed because she's thinking independently. It's because she's stupid and hungry and eats a grape. She doesn't make the choice "fuck these rules, I do what I want!" She's just not thinking at all. And she discovers (one hesistates to say "learns," though) that the rules are in place for a good reason. She gets two of her fairy companions killed and almost dies herself. If that test taught her anything it's that thinking independently can get your ass killed.

Likewise, the final test, when she refuses to kill her brother, she doesn't really learn anything and she's less thinking independently than having a natural knee-jerk reaction of not wanting to destroy something she loves. And then she gets shot.

You describe a theme that I would have loved had it been present in the movie. But it wasn't. And again, it fails to explain why the other 80% of the movie is even there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm treading lightly here, as I'm not defending the movie. Yet.

However, this hardline definition of what a Fairy Tale™ can and cannot do is silly. Certainly myths, fairy tales and even folk tales (to a lesser degree) tend to follow certain rules (à la Campbell), but there are plenty that have no moral or classical structure. Some people may consider these to be poorly (or at least non-traditionally) constructed stories, but that does not mean that they cannot be called fairy tales.

This begs the question: How can we determine what is or is not a fairy tale or a myth or simply a story? Is The Little Mermaid really a fairy tale? Is Alice in Wonderland? Ultimately, why does it matter? Do we allow a myth more handicaps in story structure than a fairy tale? It's like trying define the role and restrictions of sci-fi.

Further, not every powerful, affecting story needs to follow The Hero's Journey. It's a guide, a formula. It can work, but it's not the only way.

A good story is a good story, regardless of whether it's a fairy tale, a myth or a fucking documentary.

However, I'm NOT saying this is a good story...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So “it’s not a fairy tale” is the argument? In the face of overwhelming evidence and implication that it is a fairy tale? So Guiermeo Del Toro just sat there writing the script reveling in the glee of misleading his fan-base? As previously beaten to death, it’s a fuckin’ fairy tale. It just is… but if you want to, you can think of it as anything you want. The storytelling still doesn’t hold together.

Even if you think of this as a romantic comedy, to me, the Pale Man scene still reads as follows;
Voice 1 in GDT’s head: So we’re an hour in, and nothing has gone wrong in Underworld Test land.
Voice 2 in GDT’s head: What if this character we have to come to identify as clever and aware and having a healthy fear of death catches a near-fatal case of retarded for a minute?
Voice 1 in GDT’s head : YES, that will advance the story immensely, for reasons I will come up with later.

If it was about learning that the rules are for suckers and that fairy princesses are rebels and are above the rules, why does she suffer when she does not heed the very specific rules laid out by the Fawn? For everybody keeping score, these were rules that she was supposed come to understand as stupid. Your friends getting eaten is like, a punishment, right?

Last edited by Clyde (2010-06-07 23:45:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Listening to this one — I'm only about halfway through — has gotten me thinking about likes and dislikes and hows and whys.

I saw this movie for the first and only time quite recently—well, sort of recently—well, about a year ago. And I remember liking it. Not loving it; I haven't rushed back to watch it again. But I enjoyed it. After it was over, I was glad I'd taken the time.

And you guys … well, not so much.

And I've been wondering why that is. I mean, I'm making a couple of not-entirely-safe assumptions. I'm assuming that neither I nor you guys have shit-for-taste. I don't like the same movies some of the disembodied voices have said they've liked, but so far it's always been okay-I-see-where-you're-coming-from. So if I assume that neither I nor the DIF hive-mind are just flat-out stupid about movies, then … well, I have a mystery on my hands.

The only thing I can figure is that I — and I'm totally just speaking personally here — I didn't want anything from this movie. I wasn't invested in it on any level. I got it from Netflix, and I watched it on a weeknight, so it's not like it cost me anything to speak of. And I didn't go into it all heart-set on it being the best movie capital-ee-vee-ee-arr. I watched it, found it pleasing, and moved on with my life.

And you know what? I felt the same way about Avatar. The deal I made with the movie was simple: "Entertain me." And thus was I entertained. Golf claps all 'round.

It's just weird, is all. Cause I can be critical, man. I have the capacity to express harsh and strongly worded opinions. It's just that in this case, and a few noteworthy others, I didn't have any. Strong opinions, I mean.

What I've heard so far in the commentary — and again, I've only listened to some of it today — boils down to this: "It wasn't what I wanted." And you know, that's about the best damn reason I can think of for disliking a movie, or really anything at all. If I'd gone into the movie wanting the same things you guys wanted, I'd probably be right there on the couch with you — in spirit, 'cause otherwise it'd be creepy and weird — talking about how let-down I was.

But really, the whole "it's a fairy tale"/"it's not a fairy tale" thing … respectfully and with love, I think that's a big ol' red herring. Cause if any of you can give me, right now, a succinct and reasonable definition of what "fairy tale" really means, I will fedex you a dollar.

I can't construct an eloquent and lucid defense of the film, 'cause I only saw it the once, and that was last year. But I remember being intrigued by the juxtaposition of the fantasy elements with brutal reality — maybe it's not the world's most original concept, but it was sufficient to engage me for the duration. And although my personal taste leaves me with little patience for that sort of thing, you have to admit that Del Taco really does have an unusual eye for fantasy. And more than anything, as the movie went on, I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next. So … you know. There's that.

I think it really all comes down to expectations. And I think it's both totally valid and fundamentally honest to say the words, "It wasn't what I wanted."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about, fuck you? How about that?

How about, I like it when our threads get to about three-quarters IMDb level ridiculous?

HOW ABOUT FUCKING FAIRY TALES MAN

EDIT:

http://www.freewebs.com/thedisneyclassics/snow_white.jpg

UNNGHH! *gang sign*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have to assume that Del Toro isn't dumb enough to leave something like the Pale Man scene in the film unless he wanted it there for a specific reason. I'll be damned if I know what the reason is, but I'm more likely to believe that he had some legit reason for doing that - at least in his own head - whereas there are many other writers/directors to whom I would never give that much credit.

But even if Del Toro did have some specific reason to write some of these more 'troubling' scenes the way he did, it doesn't mean that it makes any sense or that he shouldn't have done it some other way. If the goal was just to have an excuse to have the Pale Man wake up, a 'suspense' moment of him closing in on her while she was unaware, a moment where the Pale Man demonstrates exactly what he'll do if he catches her (eat her alive), and then have her flee to the next suspense scene where she's trying to make a door as he's closing in on her again... This is probably the most straightforward way to write that. Maybe that's all it is. Just writing it as plainly as he could.

As far as the replies to my original post RE: "it's an interesting detail, but how is that helping the story?"

I have no idea. I just find it fascinating. I didn't notice it until after I had seen the flick a couple times. There are some other things that I'd love to figure out as well. I haven't given much thought to the story about the rose that gives eternal life, but I'm gonna bet that it does have some correlation to the film. Perhaps the fact that the film has so many things like that that is evidence of some poor writing. If that stuff is SUPPOSED to make sense and enlighten the rest of the film in some way, then obviously I'm in the dark, and I assume a lot of other people are as well.

It could be a cultural thing, tho. It's possible that in Spain or Mexico these stories are obvious references to something specific to that culture.

@Jeffery
I agree with you, man. I didn't really go into it expecting much beyond "War" and "some fantasy stuff". Pretty sure someone had told me before I went into it that it was more 'reality' than 'fantasy', so maybe I was just better prepared for what the film was, as opposed to the people who just saw the trailers and thought "ooh, dark Alice In Wonderland!". The trailers were pretty misleading...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I totally respect that, Squigs. I don't think I ever saw a trailer for Pan's Labyrinth, so I didn't have that to go on. In fact, I don't think I really knew very much at all going in. My tabula was all rasa 'n' shit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just listening to the 'cast now. The Cafe FX comment about it being next to an onion field so there's nothing to do but work or go back to your rented apartment had me in stitches -- I'm currently working on a show waaaay out of London in rural England, and I do find my myself hitting Maya well into he night rather than go home & sit in my box...

Look, I never thought that Pan's was a fairytale. I always took it for a a secret history - that the fawn & co are real, and those real creatures and their past interactions with man are the origin of similarly-themed fairytales. Like 13th Warrior to Beowulf, or Ridleycrowe's Robin Hood to Robin hood big_smile

So I don't think that any argument that it claims to be a fairytale but fails at being a fairytale holds up. That said, I dont' that that any argument that it never claims to be a fairytale and is therefore AWESOME stands up either.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, and can I just say? The very best episodes are the ones where you let the tape roll after the end.

(Yes, I just finished listening.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down