Topic: I just had a mini "Ocean Marketing" moment.

I'm an administrator on a facebook group named, "I Need an Editor" which is used by producers to pool editors together so that no one goes too long without work.  I have both hired, and been hired several times from this group.  Most of the posts are very to the point.  "Discovery pilot start next week, competitve rate, LA based."  Is a good example.  Today a 25 year old "Owner," of a "Company," posted the following.  Her creative use of quotes and dashes has been retained so that aliens will someday have a reason for killing us all.

"My production company XXXXXXXXX is looking for an editor.  We are LA based and have needs ranging from 1-day shoots, to short films, to web series and will be working on features soon!  We are really looking to 'add someone to our team' - a real 'part of the process' type of editor looking to grow with us - but still in a freelance capacity.

Some of this work would be pro bono, some paid low-budget, some higher.  Obviously as we grow, so do all of our paychecks. 

Beyond working with only us, I'd constantly be putting in efforts to finding you paid work elsewhere to compensate for pro bono work."

Now...there's a lot wrong with that, and I don't think I should have to point out why.  However a couple of the editors on the group gently reminded her that this was a group for paid professionals with immediate gigs with defined start dates.  She was...baffled by this.  After what I thought was a constructive conversation, I looked her up on twitter to try and point her in the right direction.  That's when I found, and subsequently reposted this on the group page (from which she was subsequently kicked out).

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/268478994

Last edited by Eddie (2012-12-12 23:37:31)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: I just had a mini "Ocean Marketing" moment.

Yikes.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ouch.

(I'm not familiar with "Ocean Marketing"... any chance of a definition?)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

(I'm not familiar with "Ocean Marketing"... any chance of a definition?)

http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/27/ocean … ly-emails/

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You have to admit, the idea of people working in media expecting to get paid is rather old school. Sell t-shirts or something smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But Eddie, don't you know that things posted on the internet don't have any consequences?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Must...resist....murder......

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Some advice...when you ask professionals for free work on one social media platform, don't shot talk them on another."

Gotta change that to shit or else I think this is a gun conspiracy.

Hilariously tragic story though.

I asked her about this.

She replied with "I deleted it and moved on. Realized my mistake, Would be wonderful if you could too. Thanks."

Maybe she's reassessed her attitude?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, in fact I would ask that we leave her alone.  I had a long conversation with her and she had a come to jesus moment about it.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down