Topic: Les Mis, anyone?

I saw it Thursday and I really liked it. I'm not all that familiar with Les Misérables in general. In my high school World History class we watched a good bit of one of the older adaptations, a non-musical one. So I knew the basic story but the musical performance was new to me.

I've also never seen a musical where almost every word was sung. They were singing the entire time, instead of having normal dialogue and then randomly breaking out into song. It took a little getting used to, but it didn't take long to get into it. Some moments didn't work so great but overall I enjoyed it. I thought it was beautifully shot and well-paced. The set design was fantastic.

The only two objections I had with the cast were Russel Crowe (wasn't really menacing, and his voice wasn't great) and Eddie Redmayne (frog voice). Jackman was pretty good, Anne Hathaway was amazing. I liked Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, although I must say I'm a little HBC'd out at this point. She was great, just her typical character.

And of course, the music as a whole was outstanding.

So, what do you guys think of this movie? Are you interested in seeing it? If you've seen it, did you like it? Not your cup of tea?

Oh and one more thing:

Show
Éponine sang mysteriously well after just having been shot in the diaphragm... Haha

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Les Mis, anyone?

Hooper's style of directing struck me as overblown and melodramatic in KING'S SPEECH, but LES MIS is supposed to be a sweeping melodrama, so it felt much more appropriate.

The every word sung style also took me a little getting used to, but it was fine. The real showstopper, to me, was "Dreamed a Dream." Anne Hathaway burned that mother down. Unfortunately, that means the movie peaked about 25 minutes into its three hours. I also liked "On My Own." Some great performances all around but I agree -- Crowe isn't a great singer, Eddie Redmayne is a great singer but kinda weird looking, and SBC and HBC felt like they were coming from some other movie (SWEENEY TODD, for example).

I actually think -- having not seen the stage version -- I would probably like it better. The movie is fine, I can't find too much to complain about I guess (except for the focus -- was it a conscious choice to focus on peoples' ears half the movie?), but I've kind of... seen it, you know? Epic historical filmmaking, it's been done. With a ton of money and a ton of time, it can be done. Whereas I think the appeal of the stage show is that all of this epicness is being achieved right in front of you, in real time, with clever and inventive stagecraft. I can imagine why, as a theatrical experience, Les Mis would be a must-see attraction. As a movie, it's good and all, but it didn't blow my socks off.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Agreed I think seeing the live stage performance would be much more impressive and immersive. They did a solid job with the movie though.

Show
Apparently the grand finale when everyone sang "Do You Hear The People Sing" was the same way they ended the stage performance, with the entire cast on the stage singing (whether or not their character died or what have you), and it sort of doubled as a send off of the cast with an opportunity for them to bow and receive applause. When it happened in the movie I wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to mean, but now I get it. It just kinda threw me off a little bit, although I didn't really care in the moment because of how sensational the music was.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Get ready for a very long, possibly emotional post because I am a huge Les Mis fan.

Because I'm a fan who is very familiar with the stage show, I came into the movie with different expectations than you guys seem to have had.  I was excited for a few things (Aaron Tveit, Eddie Redmayne, and Sam Barks finally being on the big screen, namely) and worried about quite a few more (Tom Hooper's direction, Hugh Jackman singing a part that is out of his range, Russel Crowe singing).

The things I was excited for didn't disappoint me at all. I would have liked more of Enjolras (his part was cut down) but Eddie and Sam were just perfect.  Say what you will, but I love Eddie's face and voice.

As for the things I was worried about...Hugh sounded good, but when he had to pretend to be a tenor it did not work out.  I winced during Bring Him Home, which was not the reaction I should have had.

Tom Hooper continues to be Tom Hooper. During Look Down/Paris 1832, I found myself wondering if we'd seen anyone's waist while they were singing.  Some songs (I Dreamed a Dream) benefitted from the close ups. But it annoying very quickly. Dorkman, you are totally right about the focus.  I just don't think Hooper was the right guy to handle this kind of film. Yes, it's sweeping and melodramatic but it's mostly about loving someone/something before you die.  Shoving a camera into someone's face won't create that closeness, no matter how many times you do it. I think a better director could have made that intimacy happen.

tl;dr: the movie was close, but not quite on point.  When it worked it worked very well (Fantine's chapters; Grantaire being executed with Enjolras). But by cutting out important story beats (Eponine being the "first to fall" at the barricade; Eponine appearing with Fantine to take Valjean to heaven) I think it lost a bit of the theme.

Last edited by Allison (2012-12-30 23:15:57)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I hated it. Tom Hooper butchered a great musical. It has a great cast, but that can't save it from atrocious direction. Hooper handcuffs his actors by shooting nearly the entire film in close up, and because they're singing live on set, most of the actors are too nervous to give the songs their proper energy. Russell Crowe is the best performer by a long shot because he's the most confident one on screen, even if he's not the strongest singer. The constant close ups struck me as really lazy.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Russell Crowe is the best performer by a long shot

You are high and you should feel high.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Like I said in my Hobbit post, I'm pretty new to having opinions on movies, but this is one I've seen at the relevant time, so I might as well say things.

I haven't read the book, seen the stage musical, or any other adaptations (though I did watch a nostalgia chick video about it), so this was my first real experience with Les Mis.

First off, Anne Fucking Hathaway. Amazing. I've always had this weird bias against her for no particular reason, but she blew me away. Though, as Dorkman pointed out, that does mean the most compelling scene in the movie happens fairly early. Seriously though, if she doesn't make you cry, you have no soul.

The innkeepers really threw me at first. Once again agreeing with Dorkman that they didn't belong in this movie... From the introduction of HBC up until a few lines into "Master of the House" I was very nearly facepalming, but somewhere during that number they completely won me over by being more fun than they had any right to be.

I have a few other vague thoughts that are tough for me to really explain in text form, but I think my biggest issue with Les Mis was the "romance" between Cosette and Marius. They see each other across the street and simultaneously decide they need to spend the rest of their lives together? ...What? Cosette singing a song about how her life has completely changed... Because she saw a boy she thinks is cute? I... What?

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Spork wrote:

I have a few other vague thoughts that are tough for me to really explain in text form, but I think my biggest issue with Les Mis was the "romance" between Cosette and Marius. They see each other across the street and simultaneously decide they need to spend the rest of their lives together? ...What? Cosette singing a song about how her life has completely changed... Because she saw a boy she thinks is cute? I... What?

Eh, I let this slide because that's how romance worked in fiction for a long, long time. I mean, look at any Disney fairy tale. Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid -- it's all love at first sight. It's stupid but you can't really fault the film for an element of the story dating back to the novel.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Spork wrote:

Eh, I let this slide because that's how romance worked in fiction for a long, long time. I mean, look at any Disney fairy tale. Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid -- it's all love at first sight. It's stupid but you can't really fault the film for an element of the story dating back to the novel.

Yeah, I know it's a thing that stories do, but it's a bit of disbelief that I had a hard time suspending.

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spork wrote:
Dorkman wrote:
Spork wrote:

Yeah, I know it's a thing that stories do, but it's a bit of disbelief that I had a hard time suspending.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. You all have such hard hearts around here!

First: Marius feels the exact same way you do, Spork. When he says "I'm doing this all wrong" he's referring to falling in love. He is not supposed to fall in love with some random girl because he is an intellectual and a revolutionary, but he still finds himself kissing her handkerchief to feel close to her.  He doesn't even know if she'll mourn his death, much less if her love for him is real.

Second: I love Marius because his arc is all about feeling this totally irrational and passionate love for someone you barely know. It's a contrast to Enjolras's deadly passion for the revolution.  I don't think it made it into most productions, but in the early workshops when Marius was talking about the girl he saw, Enjolras had a great moment where he declares his mistress is France.   

And this is my problem with the movie. It simplified the theme of young boys rushing into decisions by cutting down Enjolras' part (Marius sings love songs to Cosette, Enjolras sings them to the barricade) and by cutting Turning (the women clean the streets lamenting how these schoolboys died for nothing, despite how much they wanted to change the world).

(Have I mentioned I really care about Les Mis?)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Russell Crowe is the best performer by a long shot

You are high and you should feel high.

Only a little. That's an exaggeration, sure, but Crowe was my favorite actor. Hathaway comes second, but most of the time I felt like she was trying too damn hard for that Oscar.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HBC is definitely a general crowd pleaser. Everyone knows her from stuff like Harry Potter and what have you, and in the theater I was in, all she had to do was show her face and the audience started chuckling. Really, just that first shot of her walking down the stairs and everyone laughed.

Spork wrote:

I was actually a little bit bothered by it too. And what's funny is that the idea of love at first sight in a movie like this was not quite what bothered me. I just couldn't buy the idea of falling in love at first sight... with Amanda Seyfried. Haha I know some will disagree. I just don't think she's much of a jaw-dropper. But she did a fine job, although I thought it was funny that her singing voice was higher-pitched than young Cosette's.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hate musicals.  Should I see this movie?

Let me clarify.  I hate the moment in musicals when the transition is made from speaking into song.  I can feel the gears shifting in the actors' heads and it drives me bonkers.  I'm intrigued by the fact that they recorded all the vocals on set for this flick, though, and it sure looks pretty.  I guess my question is about how the music is handled.  Is it more intimate than most musicals, or is it the usual dancing-in-the-streets nonsense?  Is it both?

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's more like an English opera. There's probably fifteen sentences in the whole movie that aren't sung. And while discrete musical numbers can sort of be discerned, for the most part it's just sort of floaty melodies set to music until another number takes off. So if your problem is the transitions, you'll be alright, because there's pretty much nothing else to transition to.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw it and loved loved LOVED it. Yes, there were flaws—the length of the ending was of Return of the King proportions, the director was very closeup happy, some plot points were very contrived, there was an excess of melodrama and emotional arcs occurred far too fast, particularly Fantine's fall from grace (those last few really can't be helped, though, considering the source material), and Jackman and Crowe were clearly struggling to hit some of those notes. Oh, and Marius should've had a Save the Cat moment of some kind. But these flaws were overcome by just how epic and moving and human the story was. Oh, and Anne Hathaway deserves every award imaginable for her performance—she has made me cry three times with "I Dreamed a Dream", twice with the soundtrack and once watching the film. This marks the first time a piece of entertainment has EVER made me cry. The only thing that I really disliked about the whole thing was Bonham Carter—who is also my only problem with my favorite movie musical ever, Sweeney Todd.

Last edited by Abbie (2013-01-02 04:27:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down